Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-24-2010, 4:02 PM

Default LPK Installation Question

So I pick up my lower tomorrow and I'll be putting it together and I've gone over how to do it, have a video, and an instruction guide but one part is not clear to me. On the trigger and hammer pins, there are grooves but these grooves are not centered in any way. Question is, which way should they go in? Does it matter? Will it be obvious as I put the lower together? Just wanted to try and clear this up before the big day. Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 4:10 PM

As far as I know, the groove orientation doesn't matter.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 05-24-2010, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
As far as I know, the groove orientation doesn't matter.

Correctomundo!
Old 05-24-2010, 4:13 PM

I was told it doesnt matter which direction.
Old 05-24-2010, 4:14 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. No doubting three similar answers but why would there be grooving if it doesn't really matter which way it goes in?
Old 05-24-2010, 4:29 PM

I have built several ar15s and to me they are the easiest gun to build I have built Stens vz58s and a few others, I have also rebuilt numerous other rifles and pistols. With the ar15 you are pretty much just assembling parts which in most cases will require no modification for things to go together. Here are a few things to be careful of.

Buy a good brass punch set , Use it on the bolt catch pin and trigger guard pin !!!
Use something underneath the trigger guard ear when tapping the trigger guard pin in. Make sure the ear is supported !! I use a small block of wood.

Oriantation of the grooves is not important . You will see once you put it together , The springs from the hammer and trigger actually lock the pins in place , The grooves are designed in such a way that if inserted one way the right leg of the spring catches it and if insested the other way the left leg catches it.
Spring orintation is important , Make sure the bottom legs of the hammer spring when installed are horizontal and not sitting at an angle. WHen inserting the selector switch the hammer will need to be in a certain postion. I can not remember if it needs to be in the cocked position or in the released postion , If you have trouble pushing the selector in after the other parts are installed try releasing the hammer and pulling the trigger this will allow the selector to slide in with no problem

One more thing

Take down pins !!!
Be very careful it is very very and i mean very easy to shoot one of the springs across the room and lose it. I made a tool to install the spring.
I used an exacto knife blade that i broke the tip off of and i dulled down using a file. I drilled a tiny hole in the blade , Enough to let the point from the detent pin to catch in the hole but small enough to allow you to pull the blade out once your ready.I press the spring into the hole easily with the blade then install the take down pin then after it is seated i remove the blade. It works like a charm but if you let the blade slip out of place before you have the pin installed you can still shoot out.

Last edited by jayboy74; 05-24-2010 at 5:29 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

As previously stated, The pins can go either way. The springs will lock them into the lower receiver
Old 05-24-2010, 4:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The middle groove is used to hold that pin in the hammer. There is a J Hook inside the hammer that locks into that groove.

The off-center groove is used by the hammer spring to hold that pin in place when used in the trigger.

Both pins are identical so that they can be used in either role.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-24-2010, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Don't forget to use plenty of tape to prevent scratching

Last edited by Ding126; 05-24-2010 at 5:08 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
Don't forget to use plenty of tape to prevent scratching

+1

black tape is your best friend when building a OLL
Old 05-24-2010, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
The middle groove is used to hold that pin in the hammer. There is a J Hook inside the hammer that locks into that groove.

The off-center groove is used by the hammer spring to hold that pin in place when used in the trigger.

Both pins are identical so that they can be used in either role.
might add:
And either way the pins are entered, the off center groove will still be in contact with the hammer spring.
Old 05-24-2010, 7:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Any specific tape to use? I read masking tape somewhere.
Old 05-24-2010, 7:44 PM

I don't use tape, but if I did, I'd probably use masking tape.
Old 05-24-2010, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

I would use electrical tape
Old 05-24-2010, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Electrical tape works as does fiberglass reinforced tape, Or a couple layers of blue painters tape will work as well. I managed to scratch the crap out of my lower with tape on it DOH, Live and learn first build
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 PM

don't forget to let us know how to build went!
Old 05-25-2010, 8:45 AM
Banned

Instead of just tape, I used plastic sandwich bags and wrapped the whole receiver. Take your time with each step. A tool mark WILL piss you off forever. I can not stress enough to take your time in protecting the receiver before each step.
Old 05-25-2010, 8:59 AM

Will do. I'm pretty anxious. Can't pick it up till 11:54, they really weren't kidding about 10 days cause it's to the minute. Kinda funny. Do I absolutely have to have the buffer tube wrench or is there an alternative way to tighten the castle nut?
Old 05-25-2010, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Get the wrench it's like $8 or so. You will need it. Where you located? U can borrow mine I your near.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydXmas250 View Post
Will do. I'm pretty anxious. Can't pick it up till 11:54, they really weren't kidding about 10 days cause it's to the minute. Kinda funny. Do I absolutely have to have the buffer tube wrench or is there an alternative way to tighten the castle nut?
If you're a beer drinker like me, then you might have a faucet wrench lying around. It will work to tighten the castle nut.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM

R to L
L to R

it don't matter

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his or her life."

USN 1986-1997

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Instead of just tape, I used plastic sandwich bags and wrapped the whole receiver. Take your time with each step. A tool mark WILL piss you off forever. I can not stress enough to take your time in protecting the receiver before each step.
Very true, I am still pissed that I scratched mine and it was months ago LOL, I have buddies who use a hammer and small brass punch to tighten the castle nut