Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 PM

Default New Federal "Field & Range" 525 rd bulk pack

Saw 525 round bulk packs of "Federal Field & Range" at Turners and had to pick up one out of curiosity ... well that and my new Colt / Walther / Umarex M4 seems to have an insatiable appetite for ammo. The specs on the package are absolutely identical to the specs on the old Federal Champion bulk packs: 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps muzzle velocity. Turners.com claims "Improved accuracy due to improved manufacturing processes" -- other than that very little info can be found on these new bulk packs.

My first impression on opening the box ... if looks could kill, this stuff would be the GBU-43/B of rimfire, if not the Tsar Bomba. It SHINES. It's every bit as shiny and uniform as CCI Mini-Mag. I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to shoot the stuff. But a rumbling from inside the gun safe let me know that the beast had awakened and its fearsome hunger would be satisfied only by the taste of brass and lead.

So off I went to the range with 50 rounds of the new Federal; 50 rounds of Federal Champion from a freshly opened, pre-panic bulk pack; and a box of CCI Standard Velocity. Shooting 10-shot groups off the bench at 25 yards with a bipod and "value-priced" scope, I got the following results:

CCI SV: 0.694" avg
(Old) Federal Champion: 0.830" avg
(New) Federal F&R: 0.840" avg

I did have two misfires with the Federal F&R, and one with the old Federal Champion. This may have something to do with the spring kit I just installed. (But that's a subject for another post.)

Of course it's hard to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. But with a newly smoothed-out trigger pull and 475 rounds left in each bulk pack, it won't be long before I have a much larger data set to analyze
Old 06-01-2018, 9:18 PM

how much did it cost?
Old 06-03-2018, 9:32 PM

Sometime last year, I bought ten boxes of Federal Field &Range, 275 rds/box, Blue & Black box and tried it on Semiauto pistols, I did not like it AT ALL, this the only Federal ammo that gave me problem of FTE and FTF. But it cycle OK on the revolver and rifle lever action.
Spend couple buck more on Auto Match (Black&White box), Federal CHAMPION the blue box, American Eagle (Red box) to get a better ammo.
It was last year, and what I bought was on sale, could be the old stock (?). I do not know if they are better now ???????

These are three types of ammo that gave me problem on semiauto pistols in the pass are : Federal Field & Range (Blue & Black box) , Remington Golden bucket (the one in the plastic bucket) and Aguilar Standard Velocity (the yellow-white-blue box). The funny thing is these ammo will cycle OK for the other people .

Last edited by newbie1234; 06-11-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Choppas View Post
how much did it cost?
Im buying red box Federal HP bulk 550 rd boxes at Walmart for 19.94 before sales tax. About $.04 a shot. I buy as many as I can for when the next rimfire ammo drought happens. Better return than a savings account in a bank.
Old 06-05-2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Im buying red box Federal HP bulk 550 rd boxes at Walmart for 19.94 before sales tax. About $.04 a shot. I buy as many as I can for when the next rimfire ammo drought happens. Better return than a savings account in a bank.
What Walmart and when did you buy it ?
Old 06-11-2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Choppas View Post
how much did it cost?
IIRC it was $25 at Turner's, same as the Champion bulk pack blue box. The price of both items seems to have gone up since then.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 PM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

Works decent enough.
Old 06-13-2018, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
This^^^. I bought a box to try in my 39A and 25N. No issues and seemed pretty accurate. At this price, I'll be buying more. Not sure what the difference is, but, they work.
Old 06-13-2018, 8:07 AM

My experience with Federal Champion 22 lr was no go. Ok in a revolver but not
good in auto pistols, I had to id each box in my stash " not for auto " with a black marker. Maybe they did some tweaking to it.

Psalm 1
Old 06-13-2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
My experience with Federal Champion 22 lr was no go. Ok in a revolver but not
good in auto pistols, I had to id each box in my stash " not for auto " with a black marker. Maybe they did some tweaking to it.

Psalm 1
Hahahahaha
The 22LR ammo is the mystery for me (and may be for most of us) . Always, there is one brand of ammo is a junk of one but it cycle OK for the others. Fed Champion Blue box (I had around 10K of them) cycle OK on my semiautos: BM Contour, BM Lite, Ruger mark II, S&W 22A1, GSG 1911-22, Marlin 60 (rifle) ……..
The two rimfire that take any kinds of ammo are: Revolver and rifle bolt and lever action, I never have any ammo problem with these (or may not yet ).
Old 06-14-2018, 5:32 AM

Federal Red box bulk HP from Walmart works great in my wife's Walther P22. But American Eagle HP will not cycle the action. I wonder how this new ammo compares to those two Federal products.
Old 06-14-2018, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe I'm lucky but all that Federal and most other brands cycle fine in the rifles here. A couple are AR-15's with conversion bolts plus a Walther/Colt M4 and a Henry Golden Boy.

I do use Slip 2000 EWL and that does help smooth any sticky issues out.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil_lover View Post
Saw 525 round bulk packs of "Federal Field & Range" at Turners and had to pick up one out of curiosity ... well that and my new Colt / Walther / Umarex M4 seems to have an insatiable appetite for ammo. The specs on the package are absolutely identical to the specs on the old Federal Champion bulk packs: 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps muzzle velocity. Turners.com claims "Improved accuracy due to improved manufacturing processes" -- other than that very little info can be found on these new bulk packs.

My first impression on opening the box ... if looks could kill, this stuff would be the GBU-43/B of rimfire, if not the Tsar Bomba. It SHINES. It's every bit as shiny and uniform as CCI Mini-Mag. I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to shoot the stuff. But a rumbling from inside the gun safe let me know that the beast had awakened and its fearsome hunger would be satisfied only by the taste of brass and lead.

So off I went to the range with 50 rounds of the new Federal; 50 rounds of Federal Champion from a freshly opened, pre-panic bulk pack; and a box of CCI Standard Velocity. Shooting 10-shot groups off the bench at 25 yards with a bipod and "value-priced" scope, I got the following results:

CCI SV: 0.694" avg
(Old) Federal Champion: 0.830" avg
(New) Federal F&R: 0.840" avg

I did have two misfires with the Federal F&R, and one with the old Federal Champion. This may have something to do with the spring kit I just installed. (But that's a subject for another post.)

Of course it's hard to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. But with a newly smoothed-out trigger pull and 475 rounds left in each bulk pack, it won't be long before I have a much larger data set to analyze
What no pictures of the ammo?

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8