Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-06-2013, 9:48 AM

Exclamation Airing Now on CSPAN Dish Ch210 - Rep. Thompson hosts forums on guns

Video is posted here on C-span

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/GunViolen

From his FB page.. He wants to hear from US !!!

Quote:
Next week I will be holding a series of town hall meetings on reducing and preventing gun violence. On Tuesday at 7 p.m. we will be at Napa City Hall in the Council Chambers at 955 School Street. On Wednesday at 7 p.m. we will be at Vallejo City Hall at 555 Santa Clara Street. And on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. we will be at the Board of Supervisors meeting room in Santa Rosa at 575 Administration Drive. I want to hear from you. Please join us if you can.
Quote:
Mike Thompson is going to have an open forum this SEE SCHEDULE BELOW. He is now Chairman of congressional task force on gun violence. Notice they don't say gun control. Not PC. Chance to standup and be heard.

From Press Democrat <http://goo.gl/F2NzM>
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...-Rosa-Thursday

Update:

01/08/13 Napa City Hall - Tuesday at 7 p.m. he will be at Napa City Hall in the Council Chambers at 955 School Street.

01/09/13 Vallejo City Hall - Wednesday at 7 p.m. we will be at Vallejo City Hall at 555 Santa Clara Street.

01/10/13 Santa Rosa - Thursday at 6:30 p.m. we will be at the Board of Supervisors meeting room in Santa Rosa at 575 Administration Drive

Last edited by fredieusa; 01-13-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Cannot reconcile this:
Quote:
But Thompson, a hunter, gun owner and Vietnam combat veteran, refused to use the phrase “gun control” in an interview Friday.

The two words “create a divide that's not bridgeable,” Thompson said, acknowledging the Second Amendment right to bear arms and saying “nobody's going to take that right away.”
With this:
Quote:
At the same time, Thompson reiterated his personal opposition to assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, which he has said “have no place on our streets or in our communities.”
He's just another anti-gunner...
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Subject: Senator Mike Thompson to hold forum on gun violence

Mike Thompson is going to have an open forum this Thursday from 6pm-9pm at the County Supervisors chambers. He is now Chairman of congressional task force on gun violence. Notice they don't say gun control. Not PC. Chance to standup and be heard.

From Press Democrat <http://goo.gl/F2NzM>

Spread the word.

Thanks FD
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Sounds like part of their plan to split the gunowning community. Reassure the hunters while targeting the AR owners.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Firearms have no place in our streets. They belong inside protected from the harsh elements, damage from vehicles, and generally treated with respect.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Instead of blindly marching on the capitol, as is being planned by some, why not show up here at his meeting instead where it may do some good?

Single fin mentality

Last edited by otteray; 01-09-2013 at 7:13 AM.. Reason: clarified
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Another "I own guns but" gun owner. He's worse than the antis. He validates what the antis say.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Is this open to anyone to show up and voice their opinion?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM

He will also be in Napa. Straight from his Facebook:

Quote:
Next week I will be holding a series of town hall meetings on reducing and preventing gun violence. On Tuesday at 7 p.m. we will be at Napa City Hall in the Council Chambers at 955 School Street. On Wednesday at 7 p.m. we will be at Vallejo City Hall at 555 Santa Clara Street. And on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. we will be at the Board of Supervisors meeting room in Santa Rosa at 575 Administration Drive. I want to hear from you. Please join us if you can.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM

He will also be in Napa. Straight from his Facebook:

Quote:
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"you" != "us".

He wants to get a gauge of the anti sentiment in those areas to justify any
vote he gives on legislation.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-06-2013, 1:10 PM

Looking at showing up to the Napa, but suspect it will be a one sided conversation by the anti's and a lynch mob against the rest of us. Hopefully others from here will be showing up.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Only one thing matters to our politicians, left or right. Their ambitions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

While I do not generally support staging a protest at the Capitol, I do believe constituents should go to this kind of function when invited by their representative to an open house or town hall.

Each should put their best face forward, being dressed for business or business casual and prepared to have some well thought questions or comments.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-06-2013, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushfire21 View Post
Looking at showing up to the Napa, but suspect it will be a one sided conversation by the anti's and a lynch mob against the rest of us. Hopefully others from here will be showing up.
Coordinate. Meet some like minded people from Calguns and join forces in advance of the meeting.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-06-2013, 6:39 PM

I'll definitely be going to the Santa Rosa one, even if it's on my birthday. There are more important things than that.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM

Thankyou for input and advice. I know of two others going and will take all of the points mentioned above and pass them on.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Calguns Addict

707 time to roll out!
Old 01-07-2013, 2:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushfire21 View Post
Get there early and sit right up front so the anti's can't monopolize the conversation.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:34 AM
Banned

Please don't wear any stupid camo.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:15 AM

I would like to go to this, as I feel I have some intelligent points to make, and I am a young responsible business owner. However, I feel I will likely be labeled as a red neck or something along those lines, as I could only make it in work clothes (I am a welder). I am trying to get my father to go in my place, he is a more professional type of business owner, and well known in the area.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
Where is the Sonoma county banter crowd? Time for yall to come out
Their in the banter thread
Old 01-07-2013, 6:24 PM

I'll likely attend both. I've been debating and discussing this topic since all the anti's began beating their drum after Sandy Hook. Should be interesting.

Old 01-07-2013, 6:27 PM

I wrote him and go this response back.

Dear Mr. Amadeo:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. There have been far too many tragic shootings this year and this particular senseless act of violence took the lives of innocent, young children and staff who believed they were safe at school.

As a father and grandfather, I am deeply shocked and saddened. The students, teachers, and the families of those killed in this tragedy are in my thoughts and prayers. As your representative in Congress, I am committed to doing more to prevent tragedies like these and have recently been named to lead a congressional task force on reducing and preventing gun violence.

I am a gun owner, hunter, former co-chair of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, supporter of the Second Amendment and a combat veteran who carried an assault rifle in Vietnam. I believe law-abiding, mentally-stable Americans have the right to own legitimate firearms for legitimate purposes.

I understand guns, their purpose and how they are used. I understand that we have an obligation to make sure guns are used responsibly. I understand that there are some people who should not have access to firearms. And I believe that military-type assault weapons and assault magazines like the ones I carried in Vietnam have no place on our streets or in our communities. They serve no hunting purpose, they aid criminals, and they too often are a tool for mass shootings. Whether it's a classroom in Newtown, a movie theater in Aurora, or a shopping mall in Oregon, our nation has mourned far too many of these tragedies.

There is no set of laws that will end these horrific tragedies and senseless acts of violence, but that cannot be an excuse to do nothing. It is time to act. And we need a comprehensive approach that goes beyond just arming more people with more guns to make this happen. Congress must reinstate the ban on military-type assault weapons and assault magazines, improve our background check system to ensure that anyone who buys a firearm is a law-abiding, mentally stable individual, and figure out how to close the holes in our mental health system and make sure care is available for those that need it.

As chair of this congressional gun violence task force, I will be working on these issues as part of a comprehensive approach to reduce gun violence and strengthen our nation's gun laws. I will be working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, mental health experts, gun rights advocacy groups, gun safety advocacy groups, school and education leaders, entertainment industry leaders, law enforcement officials and others to discuss a comprehensive approach to combating the prevalence of gun violence in our communities. All issues must be on the table and everyone must be at the table.

Together we can give our time, our hearts and our very best efforts to do everything possible to make sure this kind violence is no longer visited on our children and our nation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please continue to contact me on all issues of importance to you and to our district.

Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress

Last edited by NapaPlinker; 01-07-2013 at 6:34 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 8:44 PM

I will try to be there. How long do these things tend to last? I have an almost 12yo daughter that I think would be interested in hearing what people have to say from both sides of the debate.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:45 PM

I will be at the Santa Rosa meeting.

Please remember to dress appropriately and conduct yourself in an extremely professional manner!

You may not be able to influence Rep. Thompson's viewpoint, but you can certainly influence others who are less informed about firearms than ourselves.

The best way to do that is carry yourself extremely professionally and with courtesy.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:55 PM

Everybody should read this before attending: http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...n-gun-control/

SUPER LONG but worth the read. Don't be scared by the long scroll bar, 90% of it is comments. This article debunks most "facts" and arguments by the anti's. It'll make you sound smarter with facts (not that they'll listen), but somebody else might be eavesdropping on your conversation and you'll sound smarter.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Dear Mike Thompson, where does it say that only guns that are poor for self defense, but good for hunting are the ones that we get to have, and the police get to have the ones that are good for self defense?

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 01-08-2013, 5:53 PM

Damn I can't make it. Please let us know how it went!
Old 01-08-2013, 5:56 PM

It is a packed room, way to small for the crowd here at the Napa meeting. Looks like our side is well represented by the looks of it.
Old 01-08-2013, 5:57 PM

I got me seat.
Old 01-08-2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxd9ar15xcrL View Post
I got me seat.
Let us know how it goes..
Old 01-08-2013, 6:13 PM

Anyone who wants to watch live can click on this link for the live video: http://cityofnapa.org/index.php?opti...per&Itemid=673

Under Upcoming Events, Public Forum Gun Violence Prevention, Napa City Hall Council Chambers, 955 School Street, click on VIEW EVENT.
Old 01-08-2013, 6:30 PM

I believe the first lady to speak was named Pam? THAT is what we need more of. Calm, collected, factual statements.

Obviously the crowd is predominantly pro-gun based on the reactions.
Old 01-08-2013, 6:30 PM

I believe the first lady to speak was named Pam? THAT is what we need more of. Calm, collected, factual statements.

SEEMS like the crowd is predominantly pro-gun based on the reactions..

Last edited by pharazon; 01-08-2013 at 6:37 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
Anyone who wants to watch live can click on this link for the live video: http://cityofnapa.org/index.php?opti...per&Itemid=673

Under Upcoming Events, Public Forum Gun Violence Prevention, Napa City Hall Council Chambers, 955 School Street, click on VIEW EVENT.
Thank you for the link,, man the place is packed.. thats awesome...
The little old lady talking about CCW was awesome...
Old 01-08-2013, 6:41 PM

Thompson is out of line by trying to direct public input in a particular direction and reduce "redundancy" of comments.
Old 01-08-2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaPlinker View Post
I wrote him and go this response back.

Dear Mr. Amadeo:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. There have been far too many tragic shootings this year and this particular senseless act of violence took the lives of innocent, young children and staff who believed they were safe at school.

As a father and grandfather, I am deeply shocked and saddened. The students, teachers, and the families of those killed in this tragedy are in my thoughts and prayers. As your representative in Congress, I am committed to doing more to prevent tragedies like these and have recently been named to lead a congressional task force on reducing and preventing gun violence.

I am a gun owner, hunter, former co-chair of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, supporter of the Second Amendment and a combat veteran who carried an assault rifle in Vietnam. I believe law-abiding, mentally-stable Americans have the right to own legitimate firearms for legitimate purposes.

I understand guns, their purpose and how they are used. I understand that we have an obligation to make sure guns are used responsibly. I understand that there are some people who should not have access to firearms. And I believe that military-type assault weapons and assault magazines like the ones I carried in Vietnam have no place on our streets or in our communities. They serve no hunting purpose, they aid criminals, and they too often are a tool for mass shootings. Whether it's a classroom in Newtown, a movie theater in Aurora, or a shopping mall in Oregon, our nation has mourned far too many of these tragedies.

There is no set of laws that will end these horrific tragedies and senseless acts of violence, but that cannot be an excuse to do nothing. It is time to act. And we need a comprehensive approach that goes beyond just arming more people with more guns to make this happen. Congress must reinstate the ban on military-type assault weapons and assault magazines, improve our background check system to ensure that anyone who buys a firearm is a law-abiding, mentally stable individual, and figure out how to close the holes in our mental health system and make sure care is available for those that need it.

As chair of this congressional gun violence task force, I will be working on these issues as part of a comprehensive approach to reduce gun violence and strengthen our nation's gun laws. I will be working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, mental health experts, gun rights advocacy groups, gun safety advocacy groups, school and education leaders, entertainment industry leaders, law enforcement officials and others to discuss a comprehensive approach to combating the prevalence of gun violence in our communities. All issues must be on the table and everyone must be at the table.

Together we can give our time, our hearts and our very best efforts to do everything possible to make sure this kind violence is no longer visited on our children and our nation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please continue to contact me on all issues of importance to you and to our district.

Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress
That is his form letter. I received the identical letter from him in response to my email on gun control.
Old 01-08-2013, 6:42 PM

He keeps asking for input on HOW to decrease gun violence.

Someone needs to bring up license to carry!
Old 01-08-2013, 6:47 PM

Watching this now...hopefully all goes well