Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default CALGUNS-CGSSA "Glendale Gun Show/Glendale City Council" Observations

CALGUNS-CGSSA "Glendale Gun Show/Glendale City Council" Observations

I have 5 or more pages to parse through in notes that I will get uploaded by tonight.

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Glendale City Council Meeting 1/22/13
  • • Michael Garcia City Atty
  • o As long as local individuals are not kept from owning guns for self-defense then he believes an ordinance will be upheld
  • o Legal says, Cancel Contract and block March 1st Show
  • o 30 day Cancelation Notice is part of the contract
  • • Councilmen Najarian asked = Why has the gun Show Ban been put before Council? Tries to pass a motion to table the discussion until the whole community has had time to openly discuss.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Possession and sale of Guns and Ammo on city property needs to stop.

• • The Council suggests that a gun show can be held on private Property.
  • o The Council breaks down that this is about closure because and justify that the show can be held at other venues in Glendale
  • o Possession of Guns contributes to the decline of education. A report written by the National Education of Colleges made the conclusion.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Amount of Ammunition that is sold at the shows is a wrong. Asking City not to endorse the Ownership of Guns.

• • Pro-Liberty Comment: Stated that his son gets to see a positive image of Responsible adults acting with purpose and safety with while handling firearms

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Emotionally stated: I don’t like guns!

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Fighting For what is Right Getting rid of the gun show.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: What do you want Glendale to stand for, a gun show?

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Does the city want to sponsor the sale of guns.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: We must take the path of the Higher ground

• • Pro: We are in a Nation of Fear Lead by Media.

• • Mayor allowed Antis to Over talk the 2 minute limit.

• • School related speakers where all Anti-liberty.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Speak and vote with your conscious

• • 'The Anti's planned the speakers all in a clump. We need to sit among them next time.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: The reputation of the city is at stake.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: The right thing to DO for the safety of the children

• • Question: Can a space be rented out for a Gun Show if it is within 1000ft of a school?

• • Manoukian stated:
  • o “My kids go to that school” (The JR College – Average age 26).
  • o A campus study by the American College of Health, states Guns contributes to the decline of education.
  • o He is worried about “Perception”.

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: The gun show sign is a vivid reminder of Sandy Hook – he lives in fear

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: I want to be proactive and discuss why a gun show should be on city property across the street from a school (Jr College)

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: Our children are in school during the gun show?? (oh JR college) More Emotion

• • Anti-Liberty Comment: I support an Emergency Ordinance to shut down the show
  • • Anti-Liberty Comment: I wouldn’t know what to think if ammo bought from the show is used in a mass shooting

• • Seems like a Teachers Union group is here

• • Najarian: Table the discussion until we all have time to visit the gun show. What Events has Glendale asked not to come back other than the show? School Resource Officers Cut by budget cuts if we want to protect children we should bring the budget back for them. Mental Health issues that need to be addressed also if we are serious about protecting the children. Shutting down the show does nothing.

• • Weaver: I see no issue to fix, I am not sure why this motion has been brought up.

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 01-24-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

hold for notes 1

Old 01-23-2013, 4:47 PM
CGSSA Director

I'm sorry to hear that it did not go well. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend due to a prior commitment, but I am glad that there was some representation.

On another note, I have to say that I am surprised that you received a response from the council at all. In my experiencie in dealing with LA City Council, they give you your two minutes, by nobody is paying any attention. Heck, I 've even heard the district representatives speak and nobody was paying attention. All the decisions are made prior behind close doors, and they only get together to vote in public because it's required, but the decision has already been made. IMHO if you really want to try and sway a vote, it needs to be done representative by representative. You need to meet with either the representative themselves or their legislative aids well in advance of the vote if possible. If not, you need to try an convince them to continue the agenda item for another date until you have had a chance to voice all of your concerns. It would be best to get "buy-in" from your representative first, and then go from there.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by RoundEye; 01-23-2013 at 8:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 6:07 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Agreed. Good Old fashion socialization with the stake holders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
I'm sorry to hear that it did not go well. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend due to a prior commitment, but I am glad that there was some representation.

On another note, I have to say that I am surprised that you received a response from the council at all. In my experiencing in dealing with LA City Council, they give you your two minutes, by nobody is paying attention. Heck, I have even heard the district representatives speak and nobody was paying attention. All the decisions are made prior behind close doors, and they only get together to vote in public because it's required, but the decision has already been made. IMHO if you really want to try and sway a vote it needs to be done representative by representative you need to meeting with either the representative themselves or their legislative aids well in advance of the vote if possible. If not, you need to try an convince them to continue the agenda item for another date until you have had a chance to voice all of your concerns. It would be best to get "buy-in" from your representative first, and then go from there.

Just my $0.02.

Old 01-23-2013, 8:01 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Meeting notes added on post 2

Old 01-24-2013, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

reminded me alot of the council meeting that shut down my range...
didnt matter what was said at the podium, these folks made up their mind way before the meeting ever started.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Email the mayor and every councilmen to voice your opinion. They need to know even if you don't live there. Their contact information can be found at

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...-gun-show.aspx

My email to the mayor and each councilmen

Councilman Ara Najarian,

I just read that you supported having the annual Glendale Gun Show. I think that's wonderful of you! That show draws a lot of business from all over the state bringing a lot of revenue to your area, not to mention its 20 year track record of being 100% SAFE. Thank you!

The rest of you who appose this, please consider the safety record of this gun show and the direct loss of revenue this will have. It is far more than just money spent at the show it is hotel rooms, restaurants and much more. People from all over the state come for this and generally make a weekend of it to enjoy the area.
Old 01-25-2013, 6:15 PM
Banned

I say f glendale has anyone went to burbank or eagle rock or san fernando etc to see if they want th revenue?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

As stated in another thread, the woman sitting in the front row who proudly proclaimed she was one member of a 4 attorney family and hopes that the new baby would grow up to be an attorney was holding speaker notes printed out from the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, those would also be valid points to review and have rebuttals prepared for.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Always sit in front.

Arrive early and take the most visible seats.

Dress well.

Everyone speaks. A simple, "I oppose/support this" is sufficient.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 01-27-2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
I say f glendale has anyone went to burbank or eagle rock or san fernando etc to see if they want th revenue?
I was thinking "Burbank" this past week...but where?
Old 01-28-2013, 1:54 AM
Banned

Commie.. pasadena has a convention center that might work. Or santa anita
Old 01-28-2013, 1:24 PM

eagle rock is really ghetto, dont do eagle rock.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
CGSSA Associate

I'm in Burbank. I'm not sure how the city would react, but we certainly need the revenue. I will be speaking with some city officials in a few weeks, I can "test the waters" so to speak. I don't think any of them will take a position until after our election on Feb. 26.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM

After class tomorrow I will roll up my sleeves and get to work calling and emailing. I'll have the wife do the same. Great job on the info and availability. Time to read up
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
Commie.. pasadena has a convention center that might work. Or santa anita
Pasadena would never do it; they're flaming "progressives", more so than just about any city in the county.