Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-06-2014, 8:24 AM

Mac guy at home, PC at work. At least once a week I have some glitch with the PC that requires at minimum of a restart. My 14 year old Mac laptop still chugs along, 2-3 years is the normal service life I get from the Dell or HP's at work.

I started a laser engraving business on the side, the laser company recommended using CorelDraw which does not suport Mac so I bought a Dell to run it. Constantly had to restart and advance restart to get the Dell to recognize the laser. I had to plan 20 minutes in advance before a customer would want engraving done so he or she would not stand there as I fought to get the system connected. LITERALLY two and a half weeks after the one year warranty ended the POS motherboard went out.

I had jobs waiting, so said screw it and bought a new Mac and partitioned the hard drive so I can boot either OSX or Windows 7. Now the laser is plug and play, every time.

Bottom line, IMO, if you want the most stable platform and just want to use your computer get a Mac. If you enjoy trouble shooting, continual maintenance, and the thrill of wondering when will your computer freeze, stick with the PC.
Old 04-06-2014, 9:35 AM

I have switched to Mac 7 years ago. Never had a mac before then, i have the same iMac and never had a problem with it. I installed Mavericks recently (free) and it runs much faster now in fact faster then some of the new pc's my friends have. It just works! I'll never go back.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

20+ years as a professional geek. Made the switch to mac 2 years ago. the answer to your question is yes. It is greener. You want to enjoy using a mac all you have to do is use it. yes you learn a new OS but it's really a lot simpler in every single way.

You want to enjoy using a windows box, good luck. With all the malware and stability issues and automatic forced updates that blue screen it etc... enjoying windows is a pipe dream. Only people that can't afford a Mac would stick themselves with a Windows box.
Old 04-07-2014, 3:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchutt View Post
Mac guy at home, PC at work. At least once a week I have some glitch with the PC that requires at minimum of a restart. My 14 year old Mac laptop still chugs along, 2-3 years is the normal service life I get from the Dell or HP's at work...
How much did you pay for 14yr old Mac?

Windows 8 IS the new Vista, Vista was the new Me, Me was the new 3.1(1).

Windows is getting worse, and by trying to protect someone from themselves, locking is still pretty annoying.

A coworker's father-in-law bought macs for the whole business (small ~13-computer office setup I think he said), and had to buy VM software, AND Windows for all of them, as there isn't really much Mac software for most businesses. He ended up spending ~5x as much as he would have for just PC's.

Last edited by the86d; 04-07-2014 at 3:35 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

The one business application I have lacked on the OS X side is MS Visio.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 04-07-2014, 6:25 AM
Banned

Last edited by ralph.garmin; 10-05-2014 at 8:42 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, surprised to see so many happy Apple users on this site.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-07-2014, 8:53 AM

I just bought a MacBook Pro with retina display a couple weeks ago. I effin love it!!! I'm decent with computers and there was a couple minor differences that I needed to adjust to but overall I am extremely happy.

Something to consider too is the apple care. I'll call them for the stupidest small things and get right through to a polite, knowledgable, and AMERICAN rep that walks me through whatever I need. That alone takes care of all the stress adjusting to a new OS can bring.

What really swayed me to the Mac was the fact that unlike a PC, it actually has some resale value. In a couple years I'll be able to get 500-600 for this if I want to sell it where a PC will be useless.
Old 04-07-2014, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

What I find pretty-funny is that most Mac users say "PC", when they mean "Windows" OS on a PC, and these same Mac-USERS have never even given ANY open source OS a real try as the Native OS (even on a Mac?), when PC's running Linux distros are clearly less susceptible to malware than even a Mac...

Way to push an agenda, 2-party-system-Democrats.

"Most Mac users" barely even know how to accomplish basic tasks on Macs, other than the 3-5 things they do on them, let alone Windows they hate so much, nor have ever really given Linux a chance (non*Buntu). Just an observation...
Old 04-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Keep in mind: these days, all a "Mac" really is is a PC with a locked-down and gussied-up version of FreeBSD on it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
Keep in mind: these days, all a "Mac" really is is a PC with a locked-down and gussied-up version of FreeBSD on it...
"...but w/proprietary-overpriced-hardware-checks..."(?)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

"Most Mac users" barely even know how to accomplish basic tasks on Macs, other than the 3-5 things they do on them, let alone Windows they hate so much, nor have ever really given Linux a chance (non*Buntu). Just an observation...
That may be so, but why would recommend Linux for that type of user? Wouldn't it make sense for them to stick to Macs where they can get real support for mundane day-to-day tasks at an Apple Retail store? If you walk into an Apple Store (facetious comments about stepping into an Apple Store, aside) on a weekend, you're going to see a lot of customers in the store with their laptops getting free training for little things like how to setup email to slightly more advanced things like using iPhoto or Aperture.

If you want to believe the majority of Mac users are incompetent, then you have to believe that Linux isn't a logical choice for them, either.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 PM

I recently upgraded the hardware for my about 1.5 year old Acer V571P laptop. The specs said only max 8GB of RAM, I upgraded it to 16GB and the computer reads and uses 16GB. I made sure to match the memory to balance the chip sizes and also to get the same latency and speed. I removed the old hard drive and replaced it with a Crucial M500 240GB SSD. I also removed the DVDROM drive and replaced with a HDD caddy. Installed a 1TB HHD for data storage. It's running a restored version of Windows 8 64bit. Boot up takes less than the time for me to reach the power button on my monitor since I hook my laptop to a larger monitor.

Pick the one that serves your purpose. If you are dealing with media, Macs are your machines. If you are more office oriented, PCs are easier to deal with. Linux machines will run fine without constant updates. Yum and apt-get pretty much deals with the software comparability issues. I avoid all Red Hat distros including Fedora and centos because rpms are annoying.
Old 04-08-2014, 3:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
... Yum and apt-get pretty much deals with the software comparability issues. I avoid all Red Hat distros including Fedora and centos because rpms are annoying.
I hate software comparability issues...
Old 04-08-2014, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
What I find pretty-funny is that most Mac users say "PC", when they mean "Windows" OS on a PC, and these same Mac-USERS have never even given ANY open source OS a real try as the Native OS (even on a Mac?), when PC's running Linux distros are clearly less susceptible to malware than even a Mac...
Yeah, I know what you mean. It is kinda funny. :-)

Actually, I have run Yellow Dog Linux on a Mac G3 and a G4. Heck, a while back I even ran Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" on a PowerBook G3. In all cases, the GNU/Linux distro worked very well. I was especially impressed with the performance of the Ubuntu-running PowerBook G3 in "road warrior" mode. Not bad for a 400 MHz CPU and 256MB DRAM. Hey, Apple did make some very good and efficient hardware back in the day.

Fast forward to today. For the last few years, my multimedia station has run Ubuntu, starting with v10.04 LTS "Hardy Heron" and currently running the beta of v14.04 "Trusty Tahr", just 'cause I wanted to try it. I have used this workstation for both podcast audio production (Audacity) and reloading video production (Kdenlive) and continue to do so today. All of this is on the x86-64 architecture (a "PC"). It's been great. I hadn't expected the beta to be this good. Matter of fact, I'm using it right now to make this post.

I'm not a gamer. I use my computers for multimedia production, doing Internet research, and office productivity, with occasional forays into Virtual Machine computing. For all that, GNU/Linux "just works".
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-09-2014, 8:27 AM

I have used both and have been solo one way or the other. Frankly, since win7, the difference between Mac OS and Win isnt that great. As long as you start with a PC with decent parts and hardware that is.

There are way more variables on the PC side of things compared to Mac in hardware. A lot of problems people have on the PC side are actually due to hardware incompatibilities, not from the Win Os.

I haven't had any issues with win 7. It's stable, everything works on it, etc.

Win 8, in terms of UI ergonomics is a step back, but it is as stable as well.

In terms of cost, I think windows is a better deal. Yes, you get great hardware with a Mac, and a better OS, but you are paying a premium for it. You can get equally great hardware for less $, have a slightly less great OS, but have all the same functionality and money in your pocket.

That's really the difference at this point. Mac has a cult of marketing around it to justify the price difference but if you really compare apples to apples on the hardware side of things, there's not much of a difference anymore on the OS side of things.
Old 04-09-2014, 1:12 PM

I've been using MBP the past couple of years but still run Windows via VMWare so I have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-09-2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. It is kinda funny. :-)

Actually, I have run Yellow Dog Linux on a Mac G3 and a G4. Heck, a while back I even ran Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" on a PowerBook G3. In all cases, the GNU/Linux distro worked very well. I was especially impressed with the performance of the Ubuntu-running PowerBook G3 in "road warrior" mode. Not bad for a 400 MHz CPU and 256MB DRAM. Hey, Apple did make some very good and efficient hardware back in the day.

Fast forward to today. For the last few years, my multimedia station has run Ubuntu, starting with v10.04 LTS "Hardy Heron" and currently running the beta of v14.04 "Trusty Tahr", just 'cause I wanted to try it. I have used this workstation for both podcast audio production (Audacity) and reloading video production (Kdenlive) and continue to do so today. All of this is on the x86-64 architecture (a "PC"). It's been great. I hadn't expected the beta to be this good. Matter of fact, I'm using it right now to make this post.

I'm not a gamer. I use my computers for multimedia production, doing Internet research, and office productivity, with occasional forays into Virtual Machine computing. For all that, GNU/Linux "just works".
Not to derail this thread too much, but do you find 14.04 Ubuntu to be a big enough improvement to be worth upgrading from 12.04?
Old 04-09-2014, 4:02 PM

Using a new macbook pro @ work. We run soo many legacy PC apps, I had to install VMWARE fusion running Win7 to run these apps. So kinda sucks that I still have to use a virtual PC.

Boot times are awesome with the macbook pro though. 16 gigs of ram and 512 gig SSD.
Old 04-12-2014, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingm03 View Post
Not to derail this thread too much, but do you find 14.04 Ubuntu to be a big enough improvement to be worth upgrading from 12.04?
Over 12.04, no, not really. I've got a 12.04 box right next to the 14.04 box, and both versions seem equally good to me. I'm running 14.04 with GNOME Shell, and the 12.04 box is running Unity. Unity's OK once you get used to it. I still tend to prefer KDE generally, but GNOME 3 really ain't too bad, especially for newbies. But I do consider the GNOME Tweak Tool a must for "power users".

What intrigues me is that 14.04 was actually pretty solid even in its "alpha" version (it's now in beta). Gotta hand it to Canonical on that. The 14.04 box is running an AMD octa-core CPU, and the 12.04 box is running an Intel Core 2 Duo. Both versions have shown to make efficient use of the hardware that they're on, and neither feels slow.

For this reason, I generally tend to prefer IBM PC-compatible hardware. Either way, I'm going to run a GNU/Linux OS on it, and IBM PC-compat hardware is less expensive than equivalent Apple hardware. So, for these reasons, the "Mac or PC" question gets the "PC" vote from me.
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-12-2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
"...but w/proprietary-overpriced-hardware-checks..."(?)
Easy enough to build a Hackintosh. Just need to hunt around a little. I'm in the process of building my second box in 3 years, for video editing. $4500 cheaper than a comparable Mac, and worth every penny.

http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov
Old 04-12-2014, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

mac is great for the user will low levels of technical knowledge. the same user that will have problems uninstalling an application, getting a virus, installing malware or complaining of spam.

windows is by far the more able of the two in a head to head contest but if your only requirement is to surf the web and edit photos or video, mac is great. anything else and youre kind of screwing yourself over.

everything is more expensive, slower and you have but a fraction of the peripheral options moving forward.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 PM

i use both... prefer my pc as much as i dislike windows.

i'd also say i have a sufficient technical background understanding of computers. my pc i built runs great, better than macs i've used at the same price point. however, it took me a bit of effort to get it there. cheap pcs i've used elsewhere though vs a mac i can see why a lot of people would pick mac.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 04-12-2014 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 AM

Apple is the democrats of PC's. They tell you how you should like it and don't give you any choices.
Old 04-13-2014, 4:55 AM
Veteran Member

Old 04-13-2014, 5:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 101 View Post
Apple is the democrats of PC's. They tell you how you should like it and don't give you any choices.
Well yes, like placing the window "control" widgets on the opposite side as the rest of the world (ie. on the left instead of the right.)

However windows gives you things without choice as well, such as having to reboot after installing certain patches and updates. With my Win7 machine at work, this drives me nuts! With linux I never had to reboot unless updating the very kernel of the operating system. I don't know Mac is in this regard, but I would be shocked if they forced a reboot. (eg. my Android phone doesn't force a reboot after installing some apps.)
Old 04-13-2014, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Well yes, like placing the window "control" widgets on the opposite side as the rest of the world (ie. on the left instead of the right.)

However windows gives you things without choice as well, such as having to reboot after installing certain patches and updates. With my Win7 machine at work, this drives me nuts! With linux I never had to reboot unless updating the very kernel of the operating system. I don't know Mac is in this regard, but I would be shocked if they forced a reboot. (eg. my Android phone doesn't force a reboot after installing some apps.)
I understand BSD is getting better at this reboot issue, but my Windows rig hasn't rebooted on its own since Windows 7 was installed years ago, nothing forced. The last forced shutdown I encountered was due to a UPS battery-fail. I never ran Vista on anything in my house for more than a month, so I can't speak on that, but I believe XP fixed this issue in an early update, but that was so long ago I ran XP on a box exclusively I cannot recall specifics, but you COULD always set updates to NOT do them automatically, and I have done that since installing ANY M$ OS (XP and above..). When installing don't chose Update Automatically... THEN GO IN AND SET "...LET ME CHOSE..." INSTEAD, & don't do updates in the middle of your work day... unless you have time.

It is a user-error, or IT error if automatic updates take hold when unexpected...

Last edited by the86d; 04-13-2014 at 7:09 AM..
Old 04-13-2014, 7:57 AM

I switched to MAC at home a few years back. I have parallels and VMWare to run Linux and Windows (and even chrome) as needed. I write installers for Windows so I am on a PC all day at work. I have to trouble shoot resolve and look at code for it all day. Nothing worse than installing the same patches at home after watching them all day on my test / engineering PCs at work.

MAC is come home and just use it. No worries and No issues.
Plus the 2 27" screens are amazing!
Old 04-13-2014, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANCHER View Post
MAC is come home and just use it. No worries and No issues.
This is what it all boils down to for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-13-2014, 8:50 AM

one big difference, no viruses coming your way, out of the box ready for gaming, graphics and video…some problems with flash but they can be resolved, all Office products are available in Mac version, also plenty of free shareware,
only minus to me is that Apple keep upgrading their operating systems often and at certain point you can't free upgrade anymore, you either need to reconfigure your machine (very complex) or buy a new one, if you want the newest system. I own several macs and some run on older systems with no problem, as long as it is Intel then it will run fine
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM

I have been a Mac user for the past 10 years but have used a PC before that and always had to use a PC at work. Personally I prefer a Mac since I don't have to deal with the stupid bloatware that comes with PC computers when you buy them. Also I like it due to the lack of errors that occur. The thing with a Mac is you can buy a Mac and install Windows on it for the times you need it. I installed Windows on my Imac and since your buying a fresh copy it is a stock build of software without the bs bloatware.

The Retina Macbook Pro still amazes me how there is absolutely no noise from the fans, it is completely silent.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Windows 8- Microsofts Hindenburg

I have had 3 clients in the last couple of months bring me brand new OEM windows 8 machines and pay me $ 250 to purchase, reformat and install Windows 7 on their pc's. A workaround is classicshell which gives the windows 7 desktop functionality back.
Old 04-13-2014, 7:43 PM

I just got my 72 year old mom on Linux Mint 16; she loves it!
Old 04-13-2014, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
one big difference, no viruses coming your way, out of the box ready for gaming, graphics and video…some problems with flash but they can be resolved, all Office products are available in Mac version, also plenty of free shareware,
only minus to me is that Apple keep upgrading their operating systems often and at certain point you can't free upgrade anymore, you either need to reconfigure your machine (very complex) or buy a new one, if you want the newest system. I own several macs and some run on older systems with no problem, as long as it is Intel then it will run fine
no offense meant but if you truly think your mac is unable to get a virus youre out of your mind. the very worst viruses out there completely took over control of mac os machines.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1625110.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...s-and-malware/

do yourself a favor and pick up kaspersky mac av or clamxav. i run clam for my machines and kaspersky for my friends.
Old 04-13-2014, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

NYT's correct. Any platform can get compromised (yes, including GNU/Linux or *BSD). That most definitely includes Apple's Mac OS. Matter of fact, it's probable that Mac OS users are even more vulnerable due to the very mistaken belief that they're somehow "immune" from getting pwn3d. "Can't happen to me!", they say, so they may tend to use less caution than they should. *ANY* platform can get compromised.
Old 04-14-2014, 5:31 AM

The reason Mac's are "less vulnerable" to viruses is because they make up such a small percentage of home computers. If you're going to attack computers in mass numbers, do you design a virus that will work on 80-90% of computers in the world, or the 10-20% that are Mac/Linux/Unix?

Mac's hardware is grossly overpriced (because the only people that make hardware for Mac is Apple), there are loads of software you can't run on a Mac (which is why so many people BootCamp Windows... defeating the whole purpose of running Mac OS anyway), and their computers are much more difficult to upgrade.

Windows has it's downsides as well, but if you run a decent anti-virus/malware program, and stop downloading free stuff illegally with shady P2P programs and websites, you're experience will be just fine with Windows. Windows 8... you can keep. You can still find 7... it's an excellent OS.

I heard something (somewhere) once, that was basically:
"Owning a Mac is like owning a car that gets 100 mpg, doesn't require any maintenance, will last over a million miles, but only runs on 5% of the roads".
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

I built my own PC and I can select whatever type of components to suit my budget or situation. I cannot do that with Mac.

I can't build my own laptop, but I can buy a cheap laptop, format it, install Windows 7, and be done with it, all at a fraction of the cost of a Mac book. After a few years, throw it out, and buy a newer laptop with up-to-date hardware. And I'll still be under the budget of a single Mac book from a few years back.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM

I will never go back to a PC.
I have had high end PCs for the majority of my life.
When I went back to school I bought a macbook pro.
To this day (4 years later) I have not had a single issue with it. It still works like new.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2014, 1:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfan91 View Post
I can't build my own laptop, but I can buy a cheap laptop, format it, install Windows 7, and be done with it, all at a fraction of the cost of a Mac book. After a few years, throw it out, and buy a newer laptop with up-to-date hardware. And I'll still be under the budget of a single Mac book from a few years back.
That is true, if you buy an inexpensive laptop from BestBuy/OfficeDepot and don't care about the specs. For $400 you can get a decent Windows laptop, but it likely will not have HD video or anything (screen resolution tends to be rather low.) If you get a high end PC with similar specs to the Mac (very high resolutions, SSD), then the price is actually comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Windows has it's downsides as well, but if you run a decent anti-virus/malware program, and stop downloading free stuff illegally with shady P2P programs and websites, you're experience will be just fine with Windows. Windows 8... you can keep. You can still find 7... it's an excellent OS.
I have used all the MS operating systems and have yet to find one that is actually good. For example my work machine has Win7Pro, widely regarded as the best OS MS ever put out. Yet when I plug it back into the dock each morning, it takes a full 30 seconds to discover that I now have a mouse and keyboard attached. I step away to get some coffee at that point since I know the machine will be dead for a little while, but it shows that the OS has some problems (you'd think the mouse/keyboard ISRs would have top priority.) If reboot the machine while in the dock, the mouse/kb are never discovered! I must unplug them each time, plug back in. There are workarounds, but in a mature OS things like this should be taken care of.
Old 04-14-2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post

I have used all the MS operating systems and have yet to find one that is actually good. For example my work machine has Win7Pro, widely regarded as the best OS MS ever put out. Yet when I plug it back into the dock each morning, it takes a full 30 seconds to discover that I now have a mouse and keyboard attached. I step away to get some coffee at that point since I know the machine will be dead for a little while, but it shows that the OS has some problems (you'd think the mouse/keyboard ISRs would have top priority.) If reboot the machine while in the dock, the mouse/kb are never discovered! I must unplug them each time, plug back in. There are workarounds, but in a mature OS things like this should be taken care of.
That's too bad you've had those issues. I have two machines with 7 and one machine with XP, and don't have anything close to that kind of problem. Now Vista on the other hand... I couldn't get rid of that piece of dookie fast enough.