Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-26-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Oh IC, you want to tether on their network without paying them for it.

Seems legit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
That particular action is legit IMO. If you're already paying for DATA, you should be able to use it as you please. What if your ISP said you couldn't use calguns anymore, and there was a $275 fee to leave your ISP and find one that allowed calguns? And after a quick google search, you found a way (legally) to keep your current ISP and browse calguns? Would you not do it?

I don't support the OP doing it with business property, though.
Old 03-26-2013, 1:07 PM

if you have bricked two phones rooting i think its time for you to stop trying to root

Last edited by MixedMotives; 03-26-2013 at 1:11 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Now the performance chip in a company vehicle I would have to agree with and usually they leave signs in the vehicles ECU even when removed.

But... fire someone for overclocking a PC??? I have been an OC'er for well over 15 years with ZERO issues! My current system is rated at 2.8GHz, been running nearly 5 years straight at 3.6GHz... 24/7/365 ZERO ISSUES! And an OC can easily be undone with no signs left in system.
I agree
Overclocking a pc is generally safe

I also believe that driving 100 mph can be very safe depending on where you are, etc.

But if the company I work for has not authorized me to do either with their property, I will stick to using my own personal property to do it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should
Old 03-26-2013, 1:35 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Maybe quit dicking around with your employer's property and buy your own if you want to try anything risky? Novel concept, I know.
100% on that one!
Old 03-26-2013, 1:37 PM

whats the point of rooting a phone that you can get most of the apps for free? Its already fast so no need to boost performance? Its not like its an Iphone. LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 2:19 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
That particular action is legit IMO. If you're already paying for DATA, you should be able to use it as you please. What if your ISP said you couldn't use calguns anymore, and there was a $275 fee to leave your ISP and find one that allowed calguns? And after a quick google search, you found a way (legally) to keep your current ISP and browse calguns? Would you not do it?

Apples and oranges, but if my carrier were to block calguns as a part of their TOS, I would have to find another carrier or stop using calgunz from my phone.

It's about as legit as hacking a trial software to unlock the pay for features.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 03-26-2013, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

My concern with an employee modifying a work issued phone is if the employee is taking it out of company security standards leaving the device open to vulnerabilities. Particularly if the phones are configured for use with the work VPN and work WPA2 wifi.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 04-05-2013, 5:39 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
My concern with an employee modifying a work issued phone is if the employee is taking it out of company security standards leaving the device open to vulnerabilities. Particularly if the phones are configured for use with the work VPN and work WPA2 wifi.
That is a whole nother aspect.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 04-05-2013, 6:13 PM
CGSSA Associate

With android - for development purposes - rooting a company phone is unnecessary unless you need the addition hardware access that grants

Which is likely unlikely since you killed this one in lightning speed lol

An iPhone is another story but a good rule of thumb is get an iPhone upgrade and use the prior gen phone as the guinea pig

I don't know what you do but I like collecting company paid for toys. I've been doing just that for 6 years - haven't damaged a single one - this is great bc when I goto my director with a request for a retina iPad - I get it no questions asked

Something to think about
Old 04-08-2013, 4:51 PM

no one should root a phone or install linux on windows PCs or copy there own dvds or shoot guns at anything other then paper or use your phone on what ever carrier you want or jail break there app or create an encryption program without a backdoor to protect the safety and privacy of everyone on this form or ....

Well yeah never go against your masters, slave on people who have no idea of the digital war we are in right now.

Last edited by mindwip; 04-08-2013 at 4:55 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 5:05 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Default Just hard bricked my brand new Galaxy S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
no one should root a phone or install linux on windows PCs or copy there own dvds or shoot guns at anything other then paper or use your phone on what ever carrier you want or jail break there app or create an encryption program without a backdoor to protect the safety and privacy of everyone on this form or ....

Well yeah never go against your masters, slave on people who have no idea of the digital war we are in right now.
How many people have we lost in this "digital war"?
Old 04-08-2013, 9:25 PM

A few, and a lot of rights. Its cool you don't know what you are losing.

Look up the battle going on between about TOR and countries. The weight of powerful countries are targeting TOR traffic. TOR continues to get around the full might of governments. TOR is what people are using to tell on there governments. People who have not used TOR but other software to protect them HAVE DIED, been taken at night and tortured and killed for talking about there countries. So yes people are dieing in the tech war.

Current goal; become a Appleseed Rifleman.
Old 04-09-2013, 6:14 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
A few, and a lot of rights. Its cool you don't know what you are losing.

Look up the battle going on between about TOR and countries. The weight of powerful countries are targeting TOR traffic. TOR continues to get around the full might of governments. TOR is what people are using to tell on there governments. People who have not used TOR but other software to protect them HAVE DIED, been taken at night and tortured and killed for talking about there countries. So yes people are dieing in the tech war.
Meh, I could care less what happens in other communist countries.
Old 04-09-2013, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post

A cellular company doesn't offer service for the community good.

I used to work in wireless sales. The reason the big carriers like Verizon dumped the unlimited data plans is because small business users would hook up their smartphones as business internet lines.

Now, how fair is it for you and I to pay $30 a month, use about 1.5-3 GB, and we end up with dropped calls and junky speeds because our neighbor's using his "unlimited" data phone as a business server?

Funny, its unfair when a cell phone company charges money to use their service, but its OK to pay $5.00 for a cup of milk and coffee which costs maybe 30 cents to sell.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 04-12-2013, 9:10 AM
CGN Contributor

I know I'm late to this party. But flaming a guy for admitting to a mistake so others don't repeat it? He's trying to help others by embarrassing himself.

Thanks for sharing.