Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

That it's not a problem just turn the company's communication device in and request a new one.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

But you would fire him for it. Great reasoning there.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
But you would fire him for it. Great reasoning there.

We were using your assumption that he had a valid business reason to modify company property and your assumption that he was authorized to do so.

I would never authorize an employee to put a performance chip in a company vehicle i issued them or overclock a computer I issued them or to root a phone that I issued them. If they did I would fire them.

But you knew that

Last edited by five.five-six; 03-19-2013 at 11:35 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
We were using your assumption that she had a valid business reason to modify company property and your assumption that he was authorized to do so.
Except it wasn't an assumption...it was actually the circumstance behind the original post.

lrn2readplz.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlFig View Post
Lol, you know what the funny thing is? All of the guys in my team have company phones and all of us root and install custom ROMS on our phones, even my 2 managers have their phones rooted, one of them is the one ordering the replacement

xjdesertfox: Lucky you! There is a guide over at XDA that is confirmed to work for JB 4.1.2. The one I used on s3forums.com was outdated and only worked with the previous version of JB. I'm not trying it again though, I hate not having a phone.
So you and company managers are wasting shareholder funds...

― John Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Stock is fine with this phone. You don't really gain anything if you flash it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
... Fraud, is such a mean strong word. I guess I am cheating by not telling them I broke it but, I don't care so yeah... Oh and we do have insurance for them.
This says everything about the OPs attitude and maturity level that needs to be said. Add that to the admission below that he was dishonest all because " I'm not paying $708 for a phone" (that he broke.) A complete and utter lack of disrespect for other peoples property/resources and refusal to take responsibility for ones own actions. America's problems in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
So you damage a product and then claim (via omission) that it was a manufacturing defect in order to get a free replacement? In some circles that would be called fraud.

What has happened to taking responsibility for ones own actions?
Quote:
You are right and that would be the honest thing to do but, I'm not paying $708 for a phone Just wanted to vent a little and warn others if they are thinking about rooting the Galaxy S3. It's frustrating, I've flashed custom ROMs for years, different phones, with no mayor issues, I was always able to fix them myself. I could even fix my Galaxy if I really tried but meh.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Except it wasn't an assumption...it was actually the circumstance behind the original post.

lrn2readplz.
Nope, no where in the original post did he say that his boss authorized him to root his companies phone.

But you knew that.

Quote:

Ugh.. If you are into rooting this phone, be careful. I tried to root it following a guide that was not confirmed to be working with the latest version of Jellybean 4.1.2. As soon as I flashed the bootchain, it never booted back to life. I tried everything I knew to make it turn on. After failing, horribly, I sent it to a shop in Texas that repairs hard bricked phones using a JTAG method. This, most of the times, brings the phones back to life. Turns out that mine is bricked beyond repair ! The file I used messed up the EMMC controller and there is no way to repair that. The only fixes are to install a new system board or have Verizon replace the phone. I can't face palm myself enough!

The company I work for paid full retail price for this phone after I bricked my Motorola Razr last Friday. I received the new phone on Tuesday and on Wednesday I bricked it lol I had to play stupid and thankfully Verizon is sending a replacement. I want to root this phone and install a custom ROM so bad but after all this, I'm just leaving it stock.

Old 03-20-2013, 3:36 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Assuming that you are right and it was a legitimate business reason that OP rooted and broke his boss's $700 communication tool, he should just take it to his boss and and inform him that he needs a new one. That’s what a responsible employee would do. A company needs to be appraised of the condition of their assets. /thread
I don't know what kind of companies y'all work for, but the fine print that came with my work mobile was that it was for business purposes only. It has applications specific to the company, and there are sensitive data on the phone. The farthest I'll go is snap some pictures with my work mobile. The actual cost of the phone is the tip of the iceberg relative to the potential liability of misuse.

I am curious what type of business needs require rooting a mobile phone??? Shouldn't the company be setting you up with everything you need for business purposes?
Old 03-20-2013, 6:28 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
Screw VZW with all their rediculous fees. Those fees is what is fraud. Im glad I changed providers years ago. I say try to get 2 phones out of it if you can. even 3 or 4 if possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Which fees are you referring to? The same ones all other major cell phone providers charge? Shouldn't you be occupying some place right now?
Old 03-20-2013, 6:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I don't know what kind of companies y'all work for, but the fine print that came with my work mobile was that it was for business purposes only. It has applications specific to the company, and there are sensitive data on the phone. The farthest I'll go is snap some pictures with my work mobile. The actual cost of the phone is the tip of the iceberg relative to the potential liability of misuse.

I am curious what type of business needs require rooting a mobile phone??? Shouldn't the company be setting you up with everything you need for business purposes?
But but but, you aren't cool if you have an android phone and you don't root it.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:02 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Tethering is a major reason.

Of course, if you're in the camp that the cell companies are correct in crippling your phone, installing unremovable bloatware and telling you what you cant do with your property, you'd disagree. Which is fine. Enjoy paying more for something you can get for a just a bit more effort.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

In this thread we have employees and employers. Given some of the responses, I don't expect the step from employee to employer to be made for those folks.

Old 03-20-2013, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ah, yes, fraud. How do you know fraud was committed?
Because he admitted it. More than once. Honestly and respectfully, you would benefit from working on your reading comprehension skills.

Quote:
So yes, your comment was all about 'interest in tech' as well as jumping to silly conclusions while at the same time demonstrating why you'd be a really crappy guy to work for.
And I'm the one jumping to conclusions.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:52 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Which fees are you referring to? The same ones all other major cell phone providers charge? Shouldn't you be occupying some place right now?

Old 03-20-2013, 7:57 AM

Holy crap guys, why all the hate towards me? You're not my employer, I don't work for you, relax. Like I sad, we DGAF about replacing stuff that we break. Considering what we work with, replacing a cellphone is nothing. I've grown a thick skin over the years so you can say whatever you want, I'm a big boy Don't get so angry, sheesh, I still love you all!
Old 03-20-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
You must have never had Verizon, they have fees that no other service providors require. I had Verizon for years even back when Startacs were the new high tech phones. People get screwed by providors all the time but I guess that is okay for you. I say screw them every chance you get. Oh and I am occupying my office at work at the moment.

Last edited by gl0ckc0ma; 03-20-2013 at 8:19 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 8:46 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Tethering is a major reason.

Of course, if you're in the camp that the cell companies are correct in crippling your phone, installing unremovable bloatware and telling you what you cant do with your property, you'd disagree. Which is fine. Enjoy paying more for something you can get for a just a bit more effort.
Oh IC, you want to tether on their network without paying them for it.

Seems legit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-20-2013, 9:08 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
You must have never had Verizon, they have fees that no other service providors require. I had Verizon for years even back when Startacs were the new high tech phones. People get screwed by providors all the time but I guess that is okay for you. I say screw them every chance you get. Oh and I am occupying my office at work at the moment.

I have had Verizon for years so please elaborate on these fees that you speak of. I actually went back to verizon after using AT&T for a year and finding out that their coverage sucks in places I use my phone.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lol guys, my company doesn't really have budget for now and we love technology so, spending on it is not a problem, so I don't see myself or my team, getting fired any time soon. After I bricked my Razr, the CTO just said "Ok, what phone would you like?" Plus we get new phones, computers, whatever we need to be more efficient or when stuff becomes outdated/breaks. Anyways, it is completely dead, my S3. The EMMC controller is busted so it doesn't even turn on, at all. The guide I was following was one of those "root all" kind of guides, not really confirmed for the latest JB. The bootchain I loaded was not compatible so it bricked it. Fraud, is such a mean strong word. I guess I am cheating by not telling them I broke it but, I don't care so yeah... Oh and we do have insurance for them.
Quote:
Did you miss the part where he said his boss and all other members of the team have rooted phones?

Also, as they paid full retail value, rooting the phone *isn't* a violation of their contract. Read for a minute instead of being so damn judgemental. Sheesh.
insurance is void with with tampering of the phone

and a company that does not care about spending ?
you work for the US GOV helping with the national debt ?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
insurance is void with with tampering of the phone
Yep, nice to see him boast about committing insurance fraud.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Holy crap guys, why all the hate towards me? You're not my employer, I don't work for you, relax. Like I sad, we DGAF about replacing stuff that we break. Considering what we work with, replacing a cellphone is nothing. I've grown a thick skin over the years so you can say whatever you want, I'm a big boy Don't get so angry, sheesh, I still love you all!
Well you are on a firearm forum and generally most people on here try to be law abiding citizens with good morals. Now when you start a thread saying that you broke a phone and knowing full and well that you did something that voided the warranty but lied so you wouldn't have to pay.......you should expect quite a bit of hate.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You are right and that would be the honest thing to do but, I'm not paying $708 for a phone
So, your honesty has a monetary limit? This statement confirms that you KNOW that what you did was wrong.

You sir, are not an honest man, but an immature man/child, and this thread should warn others before they deal with you.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Software is software, so if you replace it with something else, but can put the OG back on, then it is exactly like it was when you got it... ODIN can put it back to stock, just like if you install another launcher, you can always factory the device, it is no different: factory-default=ODIN-Factory. If a computer store installs Windows on a rig, or I install it, it's the same software installed at different times. If I install Linux on the rig after, but I put Windows back on, the only difference is that it is used.

In the case of your own phone, even if you paid partial cost of the phone you are still obligated to finish your contract, or pay a early-term-fee to finish paying, it's yours. If you don't pay the insurance, you break it, you replace it via eBay recon/sniping... This was already ruled on: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...-jailbreaking/

"On July 26, 2010, the United States Copyright Office announced a new exemption making it officially legal to root a device and run unauthorized third-party applications, as well as the ability to unlock any cell phone for use on multiple carriers.[...]

On October 28, 2012, the US Copyright Office updated their exemption policies. The rooting of smartphones continues to be legal "where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of [lawfully obtained software] applications with computer programs on the telephone handset." However, the U.S. Copyright office declined to extend this exemption to tablets, arguing that the term "tablets" is broad and ill-defined, and an exemption to this class of devices could have unintended side effects." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

Last edited by the86d; 03-20-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 3:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
This says everything about the OPs attitude and maturity level that needs to be said. Add that to the admission below that he was dishonest all because " I'm not paying $708 for a phone" (that he broke.) A complete and utter lack of disrespect for other peoples property/resources and refusal to take responsibility for ones own actions. America's problems in a nutshell.
+1000

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 03-20-2013, 9:19 PM

You bricked 2 phones?

Time to upgrade to:
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
Old 03-20-2013, 9:22 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
You bricked 2 phones?

Time to upgrade to:

According to BigMike, that makes him a "high quality techey" employee

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
According to BigMike, that makes him a "high quality techey" employee

No, wouldn't that be more like your kind of employee? A mindless drone?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, I don't have any government employees working for me.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post
So, your honesty has a monetary limit? This statement confirms that you KNOW that what you did was wrong.

You sir, are not an honest man, but an immature man/child, and this thread should warn others before they deal with you.
FIFY
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, I don't have any government employees working for me.
And yet you exhibit the exact same attitudes that government bosses condem their subordinates with.

Good job there skippy.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

You are trying to hard and it's pathetic, give the soft troll a shot

Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You are trying to hard and it's pathetic, give the soft troll a shot
Gotta agree here...

nonetheless, I would think after 2 bricked phones I would give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
...I would never authorize an employee to put a performance chip in a company vehicle i issued them or overclock a computer I issued them or to root a phone that I issued them. If they did I would fire them...
Now the performance chip in a company vehicle I would have to agree with and usually they leave signs in the vehicles ECU even when removed.

But... fire someone for overclocking a PC??? I have been an OC'er for well over 15 years with ZERO issues! My current system is rated at 2.8GHz, been running nearly 5 years straight at 3.6GHz... 24/7/365 ZERO ISSUES! And an OC can easily be undone with no signs left in system.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Now the performance chip in a company vehicle I would have to agree with and usually they leave signs in the vehicles ECU even when removed.

But... fire someone for overclocking a PC??? I have been an OC'er for well over 15 years with ZERO issues! My current system is rated at 2.8GHz, been running nearly 5 years straight at 3.6GHz... 24/7/365 ZERO ISSUES! And an OC can easily be undone with no signs left in system.
but did you kill the 2 before that

now think about it from a employers standpoint that paid for the equipment
Old 03-21-2013, 6:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So your definition of a mindless drone is someone who doesn't mess around company equipment? Then when the employee breaks it, doesn't accept responsibility for it? Interesting.......my definition of mindless drone would be someone that can't figure out how to root a android phone without bricking it since its not exactly rocket science
Old 03-21-2013, 6:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
but did you kill the 2 before that

now think about it from a employers standpoint that paid for the equipment
But but but they have plenty of money, what does it matter if he costs them some more money.
Old 03-21-2013, 7:30 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post

You can do whatever you want on your own time with your own computer.

Try to stay out of the child pron because I need you at work on Monday

Old 03-26-2013, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
Let me start by saying I root my phones. I've tinkered with all of my cell phones going all the way back to the days when you had to flash and flex your moto phone and mess with hex tables.

Having said that I find it amusing what most people do with a rooted phone.

Bam, rooted
Bam, install Titanium backup ... because everyone says to
Booyah, install SetCpu. Hmm, stock kernal is running at max speed already, but hey I'm rooted.
Ka-pow!, install a tethering app. Yeah, take that carrier! Hmm, i'm not on an unlimited plan and turning on tether sucks my battery then a street walker on the clock.
Zing!, install a 100 other apps I never use past the first hour after I've installed them.

I tell anyone who asks (and yes, you didnt ask but you posted on a public forum so deal with it ) to only root their phone if they want to play with full fledged STABLE roms. And to only do this if this isn't their primary phone.

I root to get rid of all of the crap that comes on the phone. It slows it down and uses too much battery.
Old 03-26-2013, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
Let me start by saying I root my phones. I've tinkered with all of my cell phones going all the way back to the days when you had to flash and flex your moto phone and mess with hex tables.

Having said that I find it amusing what most people do with a rooted phone.

Bam, rooted
Bam, install Titanium backup ... because everyone says to
Booyah, install SetCpu. Hmm, stock kernal is running at max speed already, but hey I'm rooted.
Ka-pow!, install a tethering app. Yeah, take that carrier! Hmm, i'm not on an unlimited plan and turning on tether sucks my battery then a street walker on the clock.
Zing!, install a 100 other apps I never use past the first hour after I've installed them.

I tell anyone who asks (and yes, you didnt ask but you posted on a public forum so deal with it ) to only root their phone if they want to play with full fledged STABLE roms. And to only do this if this isn't their primary phone.
Agreed. Do it with your spare device. You know you will eventually buy something new, hang on to the old stuff to play with later.