Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-13-2010, 9:36 PM

Default Can someone give me a reason to buy an iPad?

I kinda want one, but I have a feeling it'll end up just sitting in my bag, ignored most of the time and then I'd be pissed off about spending so much cash on it.

I already have a 15" Core i5 Macbook pro, I just got a 13" Macbook Pro from work (with an SSD drive, which is the best possible upgrade on earth, by the way), and a Droid Incredible.

I can't find an excuse to squeeze the iPad into this ecosystem. If I can find something, especially work-related to justify it I'd like to get one, but I just don't see anything valid.

My wife wants one. Maybe I'll just get one for her, then borrow it whenever I feel like dicking around with it. (Yeah, that'll go over well.)

--B
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM

jailbreak...and then...

FREE APPPS!!!! YES!!!! Sorry, but its true.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawcoma26 View Post
jailbreak...and then...

FREE APPPS!!!! YES!!!! Sorry, but its true.
I got apps out the wazoo on my phone already, most of which I use rarely or not at all.

That's another part of this equation, I don't ever "play around" with my devices. I don't buy games or apps that are purely for dicking around in some manner. Pretty much everything I have has some utilitarian value, and I have no desire for fart-sounds or birds that are angry about something.

--B
Old 12-14-2010, 1:41 AM
Veteran Member

i'll admit it's just a complimentary device, it's not something you would use over another device. I have a droid X, blackberry 9650 and macbook pro 17, and i uses those more than my ipad. Unless you plan on using the ipad as a notebook replacement ( and when i mean a notebook i mean physical pen and paper notebook) and soemthing to read on the train, then it's the best complimentary device. If you don't do alot of that, then don't buy it, just stick with your laptops!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 12-14-2010, 8:02 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

iPads are great for the living room couch.

See a cool show on the History Channel and want to know more?

Pull up Wikipedia on the iPad. Check your email. Feed some trolls on 4chan. Pull up some recipes for dinner. The list is virtually endless.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:10 AM

I have a 64 GB iPad... jailbroken, tons of apps & really hacked the way I want it.... and 90% of the time it just sits on my desk not being used.

I use a PC laptop the majority of the time at home, and another PC laptop at work (even when I travel between my offices). I've only taken my iPad with me on the plane twice to watch some movies and I actually found it a little more cumbersome to travel with than with my work laptop. My wife really wanted it to use at home while she sits on the couch, but she instead also uses my laptop at home more for her video chatting, Facebook, and whatever else she does (mostly uploading photos from the camera).

Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy and a cool thing to use. But for me, I'm better off just giving it away to my nephew for christmas.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the only time i ever can see benefit, when you're flying. most laptops are hard to use with the tray down and the passenger in front lower his/her seat. and then you have to angle your screen more to prevent it smacking directly if the person moves around.

most of the other stuff, you can do with a laptop though heavier.

how hard is it to use qwerty when you can't have it angled at times?
Old 12-14-2010, 8:14 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I know a couple people with them. After talking with them, I can see no reason to buy one.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 12-14-2010, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

It's just something to have when your doing number 2.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:17 AM

Or #3
Old 12-14-2010, 9:12 AM

I have one. I also have a MacBook Pro 17" and a Mac Pro tower. It really depends on your needs. I use the iPad for image galleries (photos, desktop publishing, etc.), database access (FileMaker), maps (driving), DropBox (common file sharing), word processing, spreadsheets, Skype, Remote Desktop (for remote control of a PC), and the required ballistic apps. My general contractor (doing my home remodel) used Inclinometer to bust the chops of tile setters who get sloppy with bubble levels. He and my project manager use the iPads I got them for my job for quick access of PDF plans, drawings, photos and more. This saves me money by getting faster responses from the engineer, architect and subcontractors.

But the iPad isn't for everyone.
Old 12-14-2010, 9:14 AM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Why do you use the iPad v.s. the MBP for those tasks?

Old 12-14-2010, 9:20 AM

No reason to buy it until they provide full web browsing experience.
Old 12-14-2010, 5:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy and a cool thing to use.
That's exactly why you shouldn't buy one, you'll play with it for a week or so and pretty much forget about it.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-14-2010, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Why do you use the iPad v.s. the MBP for those tasks?
Especially since you can do 99% of that on your smart phone and the rest is better suited for a real machine.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-14-2010, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Especially since you can do 99% of that on your smart phone and the rest is better suited for a real machine.
Don't get me started on smart phones. Seems like we waited for years to get large color monitors for our computers. Just when we get 20+ inch, clear LCD monitors, everyone decides they need to work on tiny 3" screens on their phones.

Old 12-14-2010, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
I kinda want one, but I have a feeling it'll end up just sitting in my bag, ignored most of the time and then I'd be pissed off about spending so much cash on it.

I already have a 15" Core i5 Macbook pro, I just got a 13" Macbook Pro from work (with an SSD drive, which is the best possible upgrade on earth, by the way), and a Droid Incredible.

I can't find an excuse to squeeze the iPad into this ecosystem. If I can find something, especially work-related to justify it I'd like to get one, but I just don't see anything valid.

My wife wants one. Maybe I'll just get one for her, then borrow it whenever I feel like dicking around with it. (Yeah, that'll go over well.)

--B
I think you answered you own question.

Good idea about buying one for the Mrs. Just borrow it when you need it. Besides, she'll remember the goodwill you showed when you wanna buy your next gun.

Old 12-14-2010, 7:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Don't get me started on smart phones. Seems like we waited for years to get large color monitors for our computers. Just when we get 20+ inch, clear LCD monitors, everyone decides they need to work on tiny 3" screens on their phones.
Have you ever tried to carry around a desktop computer with you? The battery pack alone would be over 100lbs. Smart phones are great for checking email while on the go, all the other features are just a bonus.

Old 12-14-2010, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
You're looking for a problem for a solution when you should be focusing on solutions for problems. Reminds me of when the iPod came out and all the corporations were integrating it into products just so they could say they supported it.

Old 12-14-2010, 7:54 PM

I'm posting yhis on my iPad. It depends on how you use your computers. For us, it is great. I would love to get a 2nd one for when I'm on the road.

We use ours sitting around the house or eating breakfas (it has replaced my news paper). It fits our use of the Internet so well that we omitted one desk top and one laptop from our home.

I would like to use login with the iPad, but the cost of the software is just too much money. I also like to use it when driving. The maps are easier to read. My wife used it for movies, Internet, and reading during our 3,000 mile road trip this summer.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG417 View Post
I'm posting yhis on my iPad. It depends on how you use your computers. For us, it is great. I would love to get a 2nd one for when I'm on the road.

We use ours sitting around the house or eating breakfas (it has replaced my news paper). It fits our use of the Internet so well that we omitted one desk top and one laptop from our home.

I would like to use login with the iPad, but the cost of the software is just too much money. I also like to use it when driving. The maps are easier to read. My wife used it for movies, Internet, and reading during our 3,000 mile road trip this summer.
Why did you replace the laptop with the iPad?

Old 12-14-2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Have you ever tried to carry around a desktop computer with you? The battery pack alone would be over 100lbs. Smart phones are great for checking email while on the go, all the other features are just a bonus.
Yes. I used to carry a Apple SE-30 home with me every weekend to catch up on paperwork. Yah, I looked pretty cool huffing that thing around in that giant case.

Old 12-14-2010, 8:27 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

"Why did you replace the laptop with the iPad?"
I haven't yet, but the iPad is tons more convenient. My netbook has to be flipped open, powered up, and then I have to wait for Ubuntu to actually start responding.

The iPad is basically ready the second you pick it up. Plus, it works very well, it's cool, the UI is slick, and it's just fun to use.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I won one from a company function and dickered around with it for a week before boxing it back up and re-gifting it to my brother. I can see the appeal for those who are technically inclined.. I have no idea what or who Ubuntu is.. but for average users, like myself, I didn't find it much better than my 3-year old DELL laptop.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Save your money.
Old 12-14-2010, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

There will probably be a new model Marchish.

I have the current model and like it. It's been useful for things like when my 1.5 year old daughter was in the hospital for 5 nights - she could watch movies on it, and my wife and I could use it for longer email replies than would really be comfortable on a phone and generally get enough stuff done to make things work. In theory I could have done that with a laptop but I don't have a 3G capable one, and it was a lot better putting the iPad in her crib than a laptop and having her throw up on it or something.

We've used it as a kind of second machine while traveling - I need a real laptop to handle CF cards, photoshop, video... but it's nice to have a second machine so my wife can poke around the Internet or whatever, but it kind of sucks to carry two laptops.

It's really nice for watching things like instructional videos - it's a lot more comfortable holding one than using a laptop and I can move around with it.

There's also less concern about it getting stolen in the sense that it's a lot less expensive and it doesn't contain a lot of personal data on it.
Old 12-14-2010, 9:17 PM

next gen iPads will be coming out soon... well, info released in Q1/Q2 of 2011. Rumor has it there will be some hardware improvements (possibly a camera).
Old 12-14-2010, 9:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Spend the money on ammunition or a tactical course.

www.mtnarmory.com

Battlecomp 1.0 only $145!

10/30 pmag $17 and 10/20 pmag $18

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/skater4evr15/Footer.jpg
Old 12-15-2010, 4:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default I can

Mobile porn?

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 12-15-2010, 5:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
There's also less concern about it getting stolen in the sense that it's a lot less expensive and it doesn't contain a lot of personal data on it.
You can get a decent laptop for less then an iPad these days. They cost as little as $350 (less for many netbooks), and the iPad starts at $499. Check this Lenovo at the link below for an example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146943

Old 12-15-2010, 5:21 AM
Banned

Meh... Geek Toy.

There's more use from a Netbook than an iPad at this point. If you want an instant-on experience with the Netbook, just keep it on sleep.
Old 12-15-2010, 9:32 AM

Quote:
You can get a decent laptop for less then an iPad these days. They cost as little as $350 (less for many netbooks), and the iPad starts at $499.
I guess that the key word is "decent". Funny that I never hear the cheap netbook/laptop owners brag about what great computers they have. I do however occasionally get pictures of how they finally store them, in a round trash can! I'm not kidding. I'm also not specifically blaming the hardware as the user can often be overwhelmed by the lousy operating system that the laptops have. Once these users see how the same task is done on a Mac, they want nothing to do with their cheap laptops. The intuitiveness of the Mac is very evident in the iPad.

I find that it's far more convenient to bring the iPad along when I'm not sure that I will need my MacBook Pro. Should a client call me with an issue, I can often resolve it over the phone. If I need to access their database or a computer, even a PC, I can - using my iPad. Same for editing text, spreadsheets, viewing PDF files, etc. The iPad is small enough to be extremely convenient, has very long battery life and is cross-platform. It's large enough that I can read the screen, use the mapping while driving, and type without accessories. A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will also wirelessly connect. And the iPad can be connected to a TV or projector for group presentations.
Old 12-15-2010, 9:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The ipad is pretty much the perfect device for playing with while you're sitting on the couch watching stuff on TV...

probably be good for class too.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 12-15-2010, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

a great reason would be to gift it to me!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You can get a decent laptop for less then an iPad these days. They cost as little as $350 (less for many netbooks), and the iPad starts at $499.
Don't get me started on netbooks. They are no way considered a 'laptop' IMO, as the hardware & software used in them are complete garbage. If I had the choice of a netbook or iPad, I'd take the iPad any day. If I had the choice of an iPad or a cheap $399-$499 "full size" laptop (14" or 15" screen), then I'd take the laptop.
Old 12-15-2010, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

And would that hypothetical $350 netbook have 3G access? Somehow I doubt that. And to me that's part of the minimum feature set.
Old 12-15-2010, 3:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I guess that the key word is "decent". Funny that I never hear the cheap netbook/laptop owners brag about what great computers they have. I do however occasionally get pictures of how they finally store them, in a round trash can! I'm not kidding. I'm also not specifically blaming the hardware as the user can often be overwhelmed by the lousy operating system that the laptops have. Once these users see how the same task is done on a Mac, they want nothing to do with their cheap laptops. The intuitiveness of the Mac is very evident in the iPad.
That Lenovo is not "cheap", it also has far more power then an iPad. You're just spouting out the typical Apple fanboy nonsense. Windows 7 is also far from lousy, in fact it is more secure then OSX.

Old 12-15-2010, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Don't get me started on netbooks. They are no way considered a 'laptop' IMO, as the hardware & software used in them are complete garbage. If I had the choice of a netbook or iPad, I'd take the iPad any day. If I had the choice of an iPad or a cheap $399-$499 "full size" laptop (14" or 15" screen), then I'd take the laptop.
The link I posted goes to a laptop, a full featured one. The Core 2 Duo is just as fast as the newer Core i3 processors. iPads cannot come close to the performance or usability at 2x the price. You can say whatever you want but the fact remains that the iPad is nothing more then Apple's latest gimmick toy.

Old 12-15-2010, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
And would that hypothetical $350 netbook have 3G access? Somehow I doubt that. And to me that's part of the minimum feature set.
That is not a netbook (it's a ThinkPad), you should try following the link before you comment. And for around $20 - $30 more you can buy a 3G network adapter from your provider (besides, AT&T sucks) and you still save over $200 over the price of a 3G iPad.

Last edited by JDay; 12-15-2010 at 3:08 PM..
Old 12-15-2010, 3:08 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
I don't know what netbooks you've been looking at but the hardware and software on mine are the same as on desktop PCs.

My first netbook had an 8.9" screen, a 1.6Ghz processor, 1Gb of RAM, 120Gb HDD, wireless G and 10/100 NIC and ran full Windows XP Home without a hiccup at all for 2 years.
I just wiped it to give to my niece for school since I got a new one.

This one has an 11" screen, 1.8Ghz CPU, 1.5Gb of RAM, 160Gb HDD, wireless G and 10/100 NIC, runs WinXP Home and even comes with an Nvidia graphics card!

I want a 3G iPad for the novelty but I'd rather have my netbook any day of the week!
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.