Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-05-2010, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
So my wife and I currently are not smart phone users but have decided it's time. We are current AT&T customers. From my research I've found that Verizon is too expensive (like $99/person for 450 mins and data) for me to consider.
Its $10/month to add someone to your plan plus another $30 for data.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-05-2010, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Evo is open platform known as Android (fancy name for mobile Linux, pretty much). So, you can do with your phone anything you want to - including re-flashing the OS on it So, it is highly doubtful that you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone

BTW, there are alternatives to Evo consider: HTC Hero is a pretty good, fast, and reliable phone. Works on any GSM network.
The Hero is Sprint's version of the HTC Droid Eris, both of these phones are CDMA.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-05-2010, 7:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
So my wife and I currently are not smart phone users but have decided it's time. We are current AT&T customers. From my research I've found that Verizon is too expensive (like $99/person for 450 mins and data) for me to consider.
Yep, $99 bucks for the basic shared plan, $30 dollars per phone for data, and then insurance and extra services.
Old 07-06-2010, 6:36 AM
Veteran Member

not sure who has the so called better smart phone.
just if at&t would just get the heads out of there hidden soft parts. and make there system at least as good as all the other cell providers i would stay with them.
sure at&t does not drop calls very often. but just getting THAT call is the problem.
the only real problem with the iphone, is that at&t service sucks, and now that cost is going way up.

Old 07-06-2010, 3:44 PM

Good job Apple for fixing the signal strength display issue. Not so good job at fixing the actual problem people were complaining about.

http://gizmodo.com/5580587/applecare...ntenna-problem
Old 07-06-2010, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

1. overrated
2. new models pop up every 3 to 6 months
3. to expensive
4. Signal problems
Old 07-06-2010, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacom View Post
Good job Apple for fixing the signal strength display issue. Not so good job at fixing the actual problem people were complaining about.

http://gizmodo.com/5580587/applecare...ntenna-problem
What fix? All they did was change some code so the phone will show less bars.

Old 07-07-2010, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
What fix? All they did was change some code so the phone will show less bars.
The fix is supposed to make the signal strength display more accurate which is nice, but it does not address the problem of losing signal strength when holding the phone without a case etc which is a hardware problem.
Old 07-10-2010, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There are a lot of people out there who want a easy to use phone and the I phone is easy to use. Some people simply want simple easy to use products in everything. IF you can make a phone and a computer work with each other easy by simply plugging one to the other and click a few things and its easy for the average consumer out there you will probably have a winner.. You can call those people stupid or lame but some people are just not technically inclined. Doesn't mean they are stupid or retarded. I consider myself a little technically inclined ( in the computer/tech area ) and absolutely mechanically inclined. I like the i phone and Apple products overall. I had PC computers and Ive had Apple computers. While it does take a little getting used to when switching from a PC to a Mac its not that hard. I like Apple stuff cause its easy to use and its pretty much plug and play. I don't like the windows PC as much. I have a PC laptop and my next computer will be a Apple simply due to the ease of use. i have no sheeple attitude nor do I just buy whatever is popular or in style out there. I bought my i phone form a buddy for 100$ and its a first generation. it works fine for what I need.
Old 07-10-2010, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The fix is supposed to make the signal strength display more accurate which is nice, but it does not address the problem of losing signal strength when holding the phone without a case etc which is a hardware problem.
Like I said, it's not a fix. They released a patch that changed the way the signal strength is displayed and called it a fix when in fact they did nothing to resolve the issue. They also claimed that it is a bug that has been around since the original iPhone was released. Do you really believe that?

Old 07-10-2010, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it's not a fix. They released a patch that changed the way the signal strength is displayed and called it a fix when in fact they did nothing to resolve the issue. They also claimed that it is a bug that has been around since the original iPhone was released. Do you really believe that?
I am saying the patching of the signal strength is a fix for an incorrect algorithm which is a good thing. I am also saying that fix does nothing to address the inherent flaw in the design.

I don't understand why you're taking such issue with what I'm saying when I am in agreement with you. My initial post made that quite clear
Quote:
In other words, good job Apple for fixing a problem no one would care about if there wasn't that design flaw. Or put another way, way to suck at fixing the actual problem apple.
Old 07-10-2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Evo is open platform known as Android (fancy name for mobile Linux, pretty much). So, you can do with your phone anything you want to - including re-flashing the OS on it So, it is highly doubtful that you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone

BTW, there are alternatives to Evo consider: HTC Hero is a pretty good, fast, and reliable phone. Works on any GSM network.
What do you mean highly doubtful you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone?

I don't get what you're trying to say, but I can tell you at home I use WiFi not the 4g or 3g, and I've also played Modern Warfare II on my PS3 using only my EVO's Sprint service to tether to the PS3 - so WiFi works
Old 07-10-2010, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am saying the patching of the signal strength is a fix for an incorrect algorithm which is a good thing.
I'm saying there was never anything wrong with it to begin with, if there was it would have been fixed a long time ago (Steve Jobs said this bug has been present since the original iPhone release, do you really believe that?). It was nothing more than PR damage control to make it look like they did something about the issue, the fact is that this 'fix' does nothing to fix the signal strength issue.

Quote:
In other words, good job Apple for fixing a problem no one would care about if there wasn't that design flaw.
They fixed nothing, Apple is just blowing smoke up your arse.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I own an Android phone and have used the iPhone, there is no difference in usability (aside from the true multitasking). With Android 2.1+ anyway. I really see no reason to get an iPhone over a Android based phone besides the trendy factor.
Ha ha thats funny. My daughters boyfriend's crashed three times while he was showing me how cool it was. And when I said she me an app that you think is really cool. He showed me some lame game.

More apps
Less crashing

you keep your android I will keep my iPhone. And for those that have network issues just wait. If Verizon had a phone that was HALF as popular and used as much data as the iPhone can there network would be on its knees.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuehl View Post
Ha ha thats funny. My daughters boyfriend's crashed three times while he was showing me how cool it was. And when I said she me an app that you think is really cool. He showed me some lame game.

More apps
Less crashing

you keep your android I will keep my iPhone. And for those that have network issues just wait. If Verizon had a phone that was HALF as popular and used as much data as the iPhone can there network would be on its knees.
He must have had a really bad model or a defective phone if it was crashing. As for cool apps, you just need to look through the Market and you will find tons of cool apps. Most of the apps have a free version too.

http://www.android.com/market

Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisster View Post
yes but the experience was nothing but dismal using it on the Microsoft platform. They may have had it first, but it was all but unusable in their environment. Thus the lack of notability.
Android will eventually be a solid platform, but that fact that Apple maintains such a stringently tight control over both the hardware AND software of their devices is what continues to propel them to the apex of the usability curve. In that sense, their draconian policies really do pay off.
Yes, you can use Skype video on an Evo on any carriers network, but 9 times out of 10, the experience is both convoluted and dismal.
what he said

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post11240879

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=754181
Old 07-11-2010, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapache View Post
1. overrated
2. new models pop up every 3 to 6 months
3. to expensive
4. Signal problems
New models every 3-6 months? The iPhone comes out with a new model every year so you made everything you said invalid with that statement. The truth is the android platform puts out a new phone every 3 months and if $199 is to expensive then you don't need a smartphone.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I actually have not had any problems with ATT, but I realize people have. I've luckily never had any dropped calls on my 3G and iphone 4. When I had an earlier HTC running WM_something, my phone developed a habit of making calls on its own.

I've used my iPhone in Germany, France, Switzerland, Chile, Taiwan, Mexico, Japan, Antioch, and even San Fran without problems. The only place it did not work was S. Korea but that was before its adoption there. Had a face time chat with someone in Switzerland that worked the first time. I was able to use Skype to make landline calls while in Montana in an area with no cell phone coverage by any provider. The speaker phone works very well.

Love the Tom Tom GPS app.

Love the Reason Magazine app, and the CATO Institute videos on youtube. One complaint is that I have not found a really good news feed app, but I have something that works well.

I really like the integration with iTunes and my music library. It makes getting those free Mark Levin podcasts a breeze. I also like the integration with iPhoto

Personally I think the antenna issue is being hyped as I have not had any problems.

I do think that what we are going to hear more about in the future regarding iPhone 4 is dissatisfaction with its strength. It is made of glass, and I doubt it will survive falls very well. I dropped that HTC from 3ft. It bounced a foot and was fine. I've dropped the 3G from about 2 feet and it survived. I bet the iphone 4 would not survive a 1 foot drop.

Last edited by dixieD; 07-11-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
yes but the experience was nothing but dismal using it on the Microsoft platform. They may have had it first, but it was all but unusable in their environment. Thus the lack of notability.
You obviously have no clue what Microsoft Surface is. You don't use "it on the Microsoft platform", it IS the platform. It's able to track 52 inputs at once, Apple's devices track 2 to 5. (And it doesn't rely on capacitive or resistive touch, nor temperature changes.) Since you seem to think the experience is dismal, where did you use one? It's only downside is that by virtue of its design, it won't be making it into hand held devices any time soon (which wasn't its use case anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
New models every 3-6 months? The iPhone comes out with a new model every year so you made everything you said invalid with that statement.
Sure, but only if you pretend the first three (of 5 total) iPhones didn't exist. They were all released 5 months apart.

Last edited by spsellars; 07-11-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Old 07-11-2010, 12:25 PM

There has been 4 iPhones released 1 each year, please back up your 1 every 5 month statement.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM

June 07, july 08, June 09 and July 10
Old 07-11-2010, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieD View Post
I do think that what we are going to hear more about in the future regarding iPhone 4 is dissatisfaction with its strength. It is made of glass, and I doubt it will survive falls very well. I dropped that HTC from 3ft. It bounced a foot and was fine. I've dropped the 3G from about 2 feet and it survived. I bet the iphone 4 would not survive a 1 foot drop.
My HTC Droid Eris uses Gorilla Glass, don't even need a screen protector on this stuff.

Try this with your iPhone

Old 07-11-2010, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
eh I don't expect the camera technology in iPhone to start catching up with their competitors.
Dedicated cameras - either point&shoot still camreas, or camcorders such as Flip video cameras or prosumer devices and above - will always outshine glued-on camera modules that only occupy a fraction of a cellphone's board area and battery life.

Also, the cellphone industry keeps throwing higher & higher megapixel counts at the consumer [who generally are the cell service provider] as a line item to promote sales - and these guys don't realize higher resolution = far noisier video/worse low-light performance.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-11-2010, 3:06 PM

Quote:
He must have had a really bad model or a defective phone if it was crashing. As for cool apps, you just need to look through the Market and you will find tons of cool apps. Most of the apps have a free version too.

http://www.android.com/market
I'm with JDay. I have an iPhone and I'm tired of it. I'll be buying an HTC Incredible as soon as my contract is up. Aside from the fact that I continually have to do the "jailbreak, then avoid updates" dance to use the device the way I want/need to, the network issues I've experienced with AT&T are the stuff of legend. I can't receive calls in my condo at all, and I can actually see an AT&T corporate store from my patio. The "5 Bars, No Calls" thing it does is awesome too. No 3G coverage anywhere outside of major cities. Coverage in the cities is hit-or-miss, too. I'm done paying $90 a month for what amounts to a full color two-way pager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Dedicated cameras - either point&shoot still camreas, or camcorders such as Flip video cameras or prosumer devices and above - will always outshine glued-on camera modules that only occupy a fraction of a cellphone's board area and battery life.

Also, the cellphone industry keeps throwing higher & higher megapixel counts at the consumer [who generally are the cell service provider] as a line item to promote sales - and these guys don't realize higher resolution = far noisier video/worse low-light performance.
Pshhhh.... Right, like you know anything about digital cameras.

--B
Old 07-12-2010, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsellars View Post
You obviously have no clue what Microsoft Surface is. You don't use "it on the Microsoft platform", it IS the platform. It's able to track 52 inputs at once, Apple's devices track 2 to 5. (And it doesn't rely on capacitive or resistive touch, nor temperature changes.) Since you seem to think the experience is dismal, where did you use one? It's only downside is that by virtue of its design, it won't be making it into hand held devices any time soon (which wasn't its use case anyway.)

Sure, but only if you pretend the first three (of 5 total) iPhones didn't exist. They were all released 5 months apart.

This comment whas a while ago, and you're correct, I didn't note that the OP was speaking of Microsoft Surface. I do remember reading an article on Surface a year or two ago, but again, you're correct, I've never interacted with it personally. I'm sure its great. However, I do not see how it applies to a conversation about smart phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.H. Auden
I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.
Old 07-12-2010, 7:29 AM

Oh, and android currently does not support the messaging platform we use at my company, while the iPhone does, and that issue alone makes it a slam-dunk in my case.
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Oh, and android currently does not support the messaging platform we use at my company, while the iPhone does, and that issue alone makes it a slam-dunk in my case.
What platform is this?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Lotus Domino. There are apps and hacks to get it to work, and IBM is working on an update to Traveler for android compatibility, but currently there isn't any native support.
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Lotus Domino. There are apps and hacks to get it to work, and IBM is working on an update to Traveler for android compatibility, but currently there isn't any native support.
Anything that requires a 3rd party app to work does not have native support. IBM also released the beta of Lotus Notes Traveler for Android last month.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...o-Beta-519059/

Quote:
IBM June 17 released the beta version of its free Lotus Notes Traveler for Android application to let Lotus Notes customers access e-mail, calendar and contacts from an Android 2.0 or later device. The app will work for the Android 2.1-based Motorola Droid, Nexus One, HTC Droid Incredible and HTC Evo 4G. IBM also said its next version of Lotus Connections social software will support Android.
I read that as "works on any device running Android 2.1+".

Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM

yeah, we may give the new beta a try over the next few months, but really there's no demand for Android support outside of my team, all of our execs have switched to iPhones with the exception of one who has kept with the Blackberry.
Once the Traveler release goes gold I'll probably configure it and get a phone for testing, and try what ever flavor of 'droid is the current bleeding edge handset once its time to replace the iPhone (in a year or so).

:ETA:
Lotus Notes Traveler is essentially IBM's Active Sync connector for Domino, runs server side and acts as a proxy between Domino and mobile devices (obviously there's more to it than that, but that is the gist of it).
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.

Last edited by blisster; 07-12-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 3:32 PM

I just got my company paid iPhone 4 today. Pretty fuggin slick. I have a personal 3G that is jailbroken and unlocked using T-Mobile. I may sell it and cancel my TMo number. I really hate carrying two devices.
Old 07-12-2010, 3:34 PM

Quote:
We are using Traveler as well to push our Notes mail to our devices. Works great on the iPhone, but not so much on the iPad.
Old 07-12-2010, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_lander View Post
We are using Traveler as well to push our Notes mail to our devices. Works great on the iPhone, but not so much on the iPad.
Really? Our owner is an iPad enthusiast (had one sent to him directly from Jobbs before official release, as they are acquaintances) , not sure if we've got him set up on Traveler or not (I am mercifully uninvolved in Domino administration here). I'll have to ask around and see what the overall perception is.
Quote:
I and the public know
Do evil in return.
Old 07-12-2010, 7:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I knew that bar strength patch was a fake fix.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html

Quote:
It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side — an easy thing, especially for lefties — the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4. ... Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that 'mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.'

Old 07-14-2010, 3:03 PM

Ok, we get it, you don't like the iphone 4 jday....

I've had one for a few weeks now, its my first iphone after a long string of every other smartphone and blackberry I could get my hands on. This is an incredible phone, the hardware is amazing and the new ios is almost flawless. The camera is great, the screen is spectacular...

All around, this phone is the best phone I've ever had... There is no antenna issue, as the haters are perpetuating. I too watched the bars slowly drop when I held it in my hand just right, then I took some scotch tape and covered a 1/2 long area on the side of the phone. Took no time, and it never happened again. Mistakes happen, this one certainly isn't worth all the BS *****ing around the net. Fix it, buy a case, or return it. These are your choices as a consumer.

Constant posts complaining about something you obviously don't own? Who knows what that is.
Old 07-14-2010, 4:27 PM

The only reasons I haven't the new iphone up is due to the antennae issue and the fact that I really want the evo. But I'm getting tired of waiting for the evo to be stock...
Old 07-19-2010, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieD View Post
I saw some discussion about the iPhone 4 somewhere, and it's top and bottom are not glass, but some sort of polymer plastic. Very strong, scratch resistant, and flexible. One foot drop should be no problem.