Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-19-2009, 6:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Avoid HP computers

To anyone looking for a laptop or desktop. Avoid HP if you can. I know they have some "hip" styles and their pricing seems reasonable, however this isn't the company you remember from years ago.

I had the worst experience with HP not long ago and received the most ghetto replacement laptop after waiting 3 months. The worst part is my problem was from a "known issue".

So, I'll stick with my Dell for laptops and home built for desktops.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-19-2009, 7:09 PM

Please avoid them, I bought one 2 years ago and it lasted just over a year, hardwear problems google hp tx1000 plagued with issues
Old 09-19-2009, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
To anyone looking for a laptop or desktop. Avoid HP if you can. I know they have some "hip" styles and their pricing seems reasonable, however this isn't the company you remember from years ago.

I had the worst experience with HP not long ago and received the most ghetto replacement laptop after waiting 3 months. The worst part is my problem was from a "known issue".

So, I'll stick with my Dell for laptops and home built for desktops.
You got that right. About the time HP bought Compaq, we stopped buying HPs because of bad experiences with Compaq. I guess we made a correct decision.

Old 09-19-2009, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Not only do they have hardware issues, they also outsource their "support" to India. Use your imagination on how well those sessions go.

I will never buy another HP product.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

I will keep my fingers crossed because i bought an HP tower and it has been running strong for about 7years now. I was sooo impressed that i bought an HP Pavilion Laptop and been using it for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems.. I hope i just got lucky. The strange thing is, my coworker uses Dell and a relative and they have had many hardware problems. Go figure. Anyways.. I hope i didnt just jinx myself..
Old 09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's not about having or not having problems, it's how the company deals with the problems.

After a week of troubleshooting over the phone, I finally lied numerous times to get HP to take the laptop back. 1.5 Months went by before HP acknowledged there was a problem with our laptop not being returned. During this entire time it was in status "Waiting for parts". We were told the parts were on order and they would arrive soon.

2 months go by and I'm ticked off. I keep calling every day and they keep giving me the run around.

2.5 months and I'm finally escalated to a supervisor and he says he's going to replace the laptop and he's really sorry. He said the problem was a solder joint that came loose and it's a known issue with that model. So he offers me different laptops. Finally I find a configuration that is slightly better than the one my wife had so I choose it. Well, it turns out it's a gold color... GOLD!!!

We waited 6 more months for our data off the old hard drive but never got it. We lost a lot of pictures and school work because of that.

Did I also mention the entire time I was connected to India with someone who had no idea about how English was supposed to be used?

With Dell when there is a problem, they handle it. They're very good about that, and know how to make things right.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-20-2009, 2:27 AM

I had a HP laptop for years and never had a problem with it until the hard drive went out.

I bought a Dell about two years ago for the price (bought a refurbished one), the monitor went out after a week… Dell sent out DHL with a pickup tag an hour after I got off the phone with them, 5pm on a Friday! I got my laptop back the next Monday morning with a brand new monitor… less than a 36 hr turnaround, on the weekend at that.
Old 09-20-2009, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Any "consumer" laptop will be junk, especially HP and Toshiba, right along with Acer - basically anything you'll find at your local Best Buy or Frys.

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo. You'll pay more for these and you might as well consider a Mac when in this price range.
Old 09-20-2009, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Any "consumer" laptop will be junk, especially HP and Toshiba, right along with Acer - basically anything you'll find at your local Best Buy or Frys.

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo. You'll pay more for these and you might as well consider a Mac when in this price range.
Or buy Dell..... and be done....

Now.... generally HP simply has different business model. They are trying to cater to people who change there every two to three years. That is how long HP products design to last. Some last more. Few last less..... You can have five years old HP that runs fine...... but isn't withing "normal distribution".

As far as HP outsourcing support to India...... Who doesn't? Come to think about it I don't know if Dell does - never had to call them.

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 09-20-2009, 8:44 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario View Post
i bought an HP Pavilion Laptop and been using it for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems..
+1

I'm posting on my Pavilion right now. I got it back when Vista had just been released. I immediately reformatted the drive and installed Windows Server 2003 (need that for work) and have had zero problems with it so far.

I prefer Macs, but I'd consider another HP for work use.
Old 09-20-2009, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo.
+1 I've had IBM/Toshiba/HP and i've worked on consumer-class machines from Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba etc. If you find a computer at a retail outlet it will be junk, regardless of manufactuer.

A key indicactor for those less technical is what OS is pre-loaded.

XP/Vista Home = Junk Machine
XP/Vista Pro/Business = Probably going to be pretty nice.

You probably don't need the Pro/Business OS features, but they tend to be co-bundled with quality hardware.

My current laptop is a HP Compaq 8710w and it's a rockstar. I've dropped it, smashed it, I just can't break it! It's got a 17" 1920x1200 screen and i've reloaded it with Windows7. I've worn out the keyboard letters and a HP has shown up at my location to replace the keyboard no questions asked (ok, well, they asked me what was wrong, and when I told them they came out and fixed it right infront of me.. they even vaccumed out half-a-dog's worth of hair that was trapped inside no hassles!)..

Anyone in the market for a laptop should wait a month or two to get a machine pre-loaded with Windows7. Windows7 64bit is the Shiz.

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 09-20-2009 at 8:59 AM..
Old 09-20-2009, 9:12 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Dell outsources to India. Gateway brought there tech-support back to the USA a few years ago.
Old 09-20-2009, 9:35 AM

I always built my computers unitl this one. I never had an HP, until I got this computer 2 years ago. Its run flawless with 0 problems. Its hit and miss I guess just like most things now days.
Old 09-20-2009, 9:45 AM
Now in AZ

I used to work with HP during Carly Fiorina's time there. She did such a large amount of damage to that company and how it operates that they are still picking up pieces.

After HP, I worked with Dell. Dell's biggest falling is their standard consumer technical support. I buy all of my machines through their business division. Their business supoprt is generally US or Canada based and tends to be less scripted. Of course the other nice thing about their more advanced support is that if I troubleshoot a problem I can just call them and say "the hard drive died, please send another drive" and the next day I get a new hard drive on my desk.

As far as hardware quality goes, neither HP, Dell, Gateway, or Apple for that matter build their own machines. Companies with the names Compal, Clevo, Uniwill, ECS, Arima, Quanta, FIC, Spectec, Wistron & Mitac produce roughly 85% of the laptops sold in the world.

Sometimes the difference between an HP and Dell is the drivers provided and the system case and logo.

Also I would like to +1 the advice to wait until October 22nd before buying a new computer. That is the availability date for OEM Windows 7 machines. Go with Win 7 x64 and 4gb+ of memory and you will be quite happy.
Old 09-20-2009, 9:58 AM

I'm an IT professional working for a company that acts as the IT Department for hundreds of small and medium sized businesses. So we touch a lot of different computer manufacturers and have to deal with tech support for all of them.

Dell will send you to India if you purchase the lower end support, they even closed down a few more North American support centers this year. However, if your computer can still get online that helps. You can use the online tech support features. It is much easier to read butchered english than to listen to it. Additionally, if you pay for the upper level support (sometimes called Pro-Support or Gold depending on the type of computer you buy) you can get North American support during normal business hours.

I'm glad to hear that Gateway is moving support back to the US, they used to have fantastic machines back in the day. I know the computers themselves are still made in Mexico or China, just like all the others, but having actual US tech supports might make the difference if the quality of manufacture has gone up in the last few years.

My recommendation is generally to go business class with Dell and the better warranty. Buy online, not through a brick-and-mortar store. All you need to be considered a small business with Dell is to setup a small business login with them, no questions asked.

Lenovo can be hit or miss they used to have all the tech support with IBM, which was the best in the world, but recently have also started shipping support abroad. I trust their laptops more than the desktops.

HP/Compaq are uniformly bad and have been since they managed to mesh the worst of each company when HP bought Compaq. What was that, nine years ago, now? The only product I would buy from them is high end printing and print servers, and that is only because you so rarely have to call tech support on these items.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
+1 I've had IBM/Toshiba/HP and i've worked on consumer-class machines from Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba etc. If you find a computer at a retail outlet it will be junk, regardless of manufactuer.

A key indicactor for those less technical is what OS is pre-loaded.

XP/Vista Home = Junk Machine
XP/Vista Pro/Business = Probably going to be pretty nice.

You probably don't need the Pro/Business OS features, but they tend to be co-bundled with quality hardware.

My current laptop is a HP Compaq 8710w and it's a rockstar. I've dropped it, smashed it, I just can't break it! It's got a 17" 1920x1200 screen and i've reloaded it with Windows7. I've worn out the keyboard letters and a HP has shown up at my location to replace the keyboard no questions asked (ok, well, they asked me what was wrong, and when I told them they came out and fixed it right infront of me.. they even vaccumed out half-a-dog's worth of hair that was trapped inside no hassles!)..

Anyone in the market for a laptop should wait a month or two to get a machine pre-loaded with Windows7. Windows7 64bit is the Shiz.
The OS has no bearing on hardware quality. If it did then 99% of all PC's sold would be crap because Linux is better.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-20-2009, 2:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, the last Dell E6500 (batch of three) we purchased (just three months ago) are an absolute piece of poopoo.
Old 09-20-2009, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

the hinges on my HP laptop have basically fallen to pieces. I have to jerry rig some wire and frame hooks to keep it open. I'll be buying a new laptop soon, and it won't be an HP.

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 09-20-2009, 2:54 PM

My company uses HP's. They are turds, period. I use one 8 hrs a day 5 days a week and it is torture.

Then I come home and use my Mac.
Old 09-20-2009, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

most dell laptops are complete garbage. I'm lucky to have had mine so long and have it still work.
Old 09-20-2009, 4:15 PM
retired Goon

Another vote to avoid HP laptops.

I bought a HP laptop about 6 years ago, it keeps breaking, and they keep sending me new ones to replace the ones that break. Currently, on my third HP laptop (this is the 2nd replacement they've sent me) and it's already having troubles (video card/display issues).

Waiting for Windows 7 to be released before buying a new laptop, cause I don't want to deal with Vista.
Looking at getting a Dell XP (Dell branded Alienware) laptop.

Once I get a new laptop, going to use the "new/old" HP laptop for Wall of Sheep stuff.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-20-2009, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Another vote to avoid HP laptops.

I bought a HP laptop about 6 years ago, it keeps breaking, and they keep sending me new ones to replace the ones that break.
You've made it 6 years on one purchase? That's incredible. Laptop's should last 24 months on average. If you get 3 years out of one you are a rockstar. 6 Years on one purchase is like making it 100,000 miles on mud terrain tires or 12 months without buying another firearm!

(yes, I know business laptops include a 3-year warranty, but a 3 year old laptop is about as useless as Arnie is right now with the Veto)
Old 09-20-2009, 6:24 PM

yea 4 billion computers sold...

they must be junk
Old 09-20-2009, 8:38 PM
In Memoriam

2 hp desktops...

1 running vista/32 reunning media center 24/7 for over a year now...

now hardware issues besides the usb atsc tuner i bought. and this is a refurb.

1 running vista/64 as a primary work machine. no issues with that.

last time i called hp support, i got some dude in canada. helps to call them late at nite.
Old 09-20-2009, 9:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know why so many people have Vista. I'm a Linux user, and have never had an issue with Vista.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-21-2009, 1:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have had issues with Dell and Gateway, never had any issues with my 2 HP machines. Both are running Vista, and I have had zero issues with Vista. I'm pretty hard on my computers as well: keep them running 24-7, downloading massive amounts of files only to turn around and delete them, running Photoshop, Media Center, Office, Dreamweaver and so on all the same time, overclocking the video card for gaming, running 4 seperate 1GB harddrives, and so on. I guess you just got a couple of lemons. Mine are excellent.
Old 09-21-2009, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

if you read his post you are getting alittle bit of everything. some say dell suck, other say hp suck, others say acer........

honestly every single company will have problems with their hardware and software YES even apple, if they didn't then why do they have a genius bar?
my toshiba from 3 years ago is running great no hardware problems at all. a Key finally fell off but that way my fault, something got stuff in the key and i yanked it out .

if you want quality buy E-machines
Old 09-21-2009, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
I have had issues with Dell and Gateway, never had any issues with my 2 HP machines. Both are running Vista, and I have had zero issues with Vista. I'm pretty hard on my computers as well: keep them running 24-7, downloading massive amounts of files only to turn around and delete them, running Photoshop, Media Center, Office, Dreamweaver and so on all the same time, overclocking the video card for gaming, running 4 seperate 1GB harddrives, and so on. I guess you just got a couple of lemons. Mine are excellent.
why are you running 4 separate hard drives??? you need larger capacity HDD
Old 09-21-2009, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know why so many people have Vista. I'm a Linux user, and have never had an issue with Vista.
because new computers come with vista. Everytime I use vista now I feel like it is slower than before. I think it is windows 7 that is working soooo great that it makes it feel a bit slower
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Let the laughter begin...

For my FFL business, I'm still running my state-issued Compaq Evo D300v 1400 megahertz Intel Pentium III PC. Have "upgraded" to max of 512 Megs of memory. OS is Windows 2000 Pro. I use this machine strictly for business. No video edit, no games, no email, no kids. It does everything I need and just keeps hummin' along.

Have a much newer hotrod machine for everything else, including keeping internet demons away.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Again, I'm not talking down on hardware. Mostly on the HP customer service, or the lack thereof.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM

You get what you pay for.

FYI - HP Support call centers are located in Costa Rica, Shanghai, and India.

If you got a "sheeple" laptop, you'll most likely be routed to a support team in India.

If you got a "sheeple" desktop, you'll most likely be routed to a support team in Shanghai.

If you got a higher end (business class) laptop or desktop, you'll be routed to a support team in Costa Rica, and if you escalate your issue to L2, you'll be routed to a real life American based out of San Diego or Cupertino.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2009, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yup, bought "the top of the line" model a couple years ago and went back to my built computer from 2001. I am looking currently and considering having dell build me one. I really like cyberpowersystem.com too.

Last edited by bombadillo; 09-21-2009 at 1:07 PM.. Reason: wrong web address
Old 09-21-2009, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I have no clue what you guys are doing wrong, but I've had just about every laptop in the book. I've been repairing PC's, Laptops and Servers for nearly 15 years now and here's what I can tell you from a professional viewpoint.

Consumer grade anything is CRAP. Do you REALLY think a $399 laptop is going to last longer than the hard drive?

Business grade laptops are the way to go no matter WHO makes them. Of course you PAY for the extras but in the end they are worth it.

DELL was one of the first companies to outsource their service center.

HP's major failing was the purchase of Compaq. So there are a number of years (Carly ones) where the merger of HP and Compaq resulted in one big turd of a computer. Since Mark Hurd has taken over the new HP laptops (business grade) have gotten MUCH better.

Gateway is a JOKE of a computer, period. Might as well get a Packard Bell for a replacement.

If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.

BTW, this was typed on my HP TC4400 tablet running Windows 7 RC. Since I repair laptops for a living, I think I know a few things about these devices and yet I choose HP over all others due to their design, performance and reliability.

Theres my .02

WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 09-21-2009, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I never claimed their hardware was bad. I simply said their customer service is complete PHAIL.

I've owned a lot of laptops. The best one was an old Dell business laptop running a 500mhz processor. I think it cost me like $300 on Ebay.

The ones with the most problems were MacBooks $1500, and the HP $1500.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-21-2009, 9:05 PM

Talking

It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for a good chunk of this time I though I'd add a couple of point to the conversation:

Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, Acer - buncha crap and money waste. Pretty much all of them. Unfortunately, business models are better than a consumer grade, but not that much...

Quote:
If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.
I'm surprised that you haven't mention IBM laptops at all? Are they really that bad? And oh, that's the good one - Apple?

Quote:
BTW, this was typed on my HP TC4400 tablet running Windows 7 RC. Since I repair laptops for a living, I think I know a few things about these devices and yet I choose HP over all others due to their design, performance and reliability.
And btw - I wouldn't talk about reliability running Windows 7

NRA Life Member
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for

And btw - I wouldn't talk about reliability running Windows 7
have you even used windows 7 or are you just shooting it down because it's by microsoft?? it's hard to tell since gave no background info. I've been using windows 7 since January and the only problem I had was getting a driver for my webcam. After 30min of searching it worked
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM

I have had many dells and many hp's over the years of work. I prefer my hp to any of the dells. Dell support will also be in india and will sell you something other than what you asked for to repair it and will charge you to return it. the company I worked with for 12 years had used dells (i installed for sleep labs over the last 5 years) and on average 1 out of every 10 were bad machines and would not come up past a blue screen. Mind you this was with Gold tech support and they over and over refused to set out a tech (as is the agreement with gold tech support). I will never buy another dell even if it means buying 10 hp's.

I am using an hp that was bought at best buy for 299 about a year ago and it works great and is pretty good computer.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
We waited 6 more months for our data off the old hard drive but never got it. We lost a lot of pictures and school work because of that.
That's your fault for not keeping backups, all OEMs will re-image the drive before returning the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I'm surprised that you haven't mention IBM laptops at all? Are they really that bad? And oh, that's the good one - Apple?
Maybe you haven't heard the news but IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo a number of years ago.

Now I don't see why you guys are having problem with HP (been using them for 10 years) but in my experience most problems are the result of user error and physical abuse.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I had backups for everything except what happened that past month. The HDD wasn't bad, there was nothing wrong with it. The laptop was 3 months old and the video card came un-soldered from the mobo.
Glock Certified Armorer