Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-07-2018, 7:30 AM

Default How can I swap out HDD for SSD

So, I have a laptop that not too old which has a HDD that I wish to swap out for an SSD. I bought the laptop new and it can with a recovery CD but not an OEM Win8 disc.

I'm currently running Win10. How would I swap this this HDD? Do I image the HDD, clone it, or ?

The laptop does NOT have a CD drive btw.

Looking to get a little more zip to this thing.

TIA
Old 03-07-2018, 7:52 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If some one else doesn't chime in, I'll have a link for you a little later.

I found a kit online an simple instructions. The swap made my old dell pretty snappy.
Old 03-07-2018, 7:55 AM

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 7:57 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Go for it - there is no better upgrade for the money. And it will literally change your life if you use your PC a lot.

Clone the drive. It is a bit more of a pain without a CD drive but not much. You can make a bootable USB stick drive.

This is what I do:

1. Get ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE (there are other free programs, but I really like Acronis)
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

2. Get an EXTERNAL HDD box w/USB cable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWRRMYX/

3. Get/borrow a USB thumb drive

4. Use Acronis to make a bootable USB thumb drive with the Acronis software on board

5. Shut down computer

6. Mount the SSD into the external box and attach to computer

7. Boot computer to USB thumb drive (Acronis)

8. Use Acronis to make clone from old HDD to new SSD, resizing the partition up or down on the fly as needed

9. Power off PC

10. Remove SSD from external USB box

11. Remove old hard drive from computer

12. Install new SSD into computer

13. Enjoy a whole new, faster experience with your computer

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-07-2018 at 7:59 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 8:46 AM

^ thanks SH.

HDD is on upper right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180304_134409.jpg (97.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by lone shooter; 03-07-2018 at 9:27 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Been on SSD's for a few years now and I'll never go back to HDD; it's that good.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 03-07-2018, 9:46 AM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone shooter View Post
^ thanks SH.

HDD is on upper right.
Max out your ram while it's open. Should be pretty cheap.
Old 03-07-2018, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Been on SSD's for a few years now and I'll never go back to HDD; it's that good.
Yeah, my 4 year old I7 desktop has one and I love it. The laptop was a hand me down when the wife got a MS Surface. The laptop is actually not that bad, I believe it's an I3 and not a Celeron.

Yeah, it has one stick of 4GB DDRL3-1600 RAM and accepts 16GB. Believe it or not, the SDD is cheaper then 16 GBs of RAM. I'll start with the SSD and move on from there.

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM
King- Lifetime

Cool. You'll definitely get the most noticeable performance increase from the SSD. I'd add at least another 4gb of ram for win 10 though. That can't cost much.
Old 03-07-2018, 1:26 PM
Waiting for Abs

Don’t use Best Buy Geek Squad.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/...eek-squad-fbi/
Old 03-07-2018, 1:33 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Go for it - there is no better upgrade for the money. And it will literally change your life if you use your PC a lot.

Clone the drive. It is a bit more of a pain without a CD drive but not much. You can make a bootable USB stick drive.

This is what I do:

1. Get ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE (there are other free programs, but I really like Acronis)
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

2. Get an EXTERNAL HDD box w/USB cable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWRRMYX/

3. Get/borrow a USB thumb drive

4. Use Acronis to make a bootable USB thumb drive with the Acronis software on board

5. Shut down computer

6. Mount the SSD into the external box and attach to computer

7. Boot computer to USB thumb drive (Acronis)

8. Use Acronis to make clone from old HDD to new SSD, resizing the partition up or down on the fly as needed

9. Power off PC

10. Remove SSD from external USB box

11. Remove old hard drive from computer

12. Install new SSD into computer

13. Enjoy a whole new, faster experience with your computer
Does this process render the old hard drive unusable or could you drop it back in the computer and function as normal?

I'm looking at two systems, both identical make and model and identical hardware. One runs a program perfectly the other just hangs when you start the program. The system works but the program just spins and spins.

The program has no registry ties, it's essentially self contained within it's file folder so 'install' is copy the folder to another computer and click the exe.

I want to copy the HDD that is working on to a new drive and see if it works in the box that's not working. I could drop the drive with the functioning program in the other computer but the fear is if it's a hardware issue (damned if I can figure out what that could be) it could damage the functioning drive.

If this doesn't affect the functioning drive this could be the best way too safely diagnose the problem.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 03-07-2018, 2:24 PM

I usually hate clogging up a thread with stuff not pertaining to the OP's question, but my question kind of ties in with what Kestryll asked and there seem to be experts in this thread.

I recently installed a 250gb MSATA SSD in place of the smaller SSD on my Acer laptop. OS was on the HDD, the original SSD was small and designed for caching/quick boot. I cloned the HDD to the new SSD and formatted the HDD after. However, no matter what I do, the computer will try to boot the HDD if it's installed. BIOS sees the SSD if the HDD is removed, but won't recognize the SSD if the HDD is installed. I'd like to keep the HDD on board for storage. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrong View Post
I usually hate clogging up a thread with stuff not pertaining to the OP's question, but my question kind of ties in with what Kestryll asked and there seem to be experts in this thread.

I recently installed a 250gb MSATA SSD in place of the smaller SSD on my Acer laptop. OS was on the HDD, the original SSD was small and designed for caching/quick boot. I cloned the HDD to the new SSD and formatted the HDD after. However, no matter what I do, the computer will try to boot the HDD if it's installed. BIOS sees the SSD if the HDD is removed, but won't recognize the SSD if the HDD is installed. I'd like to keep the HDD on board for storage. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Heard this a couple of weeks ago.

http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1465...-my-hard-drive
Old 03-07-2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrong View Post

I believe you have to go into the BIOS and change the setting in there. Something about ATA setting (from my preliminary research).
Old 03-07-2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Does this process render the old hard drive unusable or could you drop it back in the computer and function as normal.
No room to do that in my laptop, so I'm going to format the old HDD and use it as external extra HDD.

I went with this BTW, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b_2_5_ssd.html
Old 03-07-2018, 2:39 PM

if you get a samsung SSD, it should come with magician software that will let you clone your drive. you just need to get a dock or use a USB SATA adapter to connect your drive you want to clone.

LOL at the geeksquad post. if you don't have illegal things out on the open, also if you don't do illegal things on your computer why worry?
Old 03-07-2018, 2:51 PM

^ crucial SDD does as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 3:06 PM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Does this process render the old hard drive unusable or could you drop it back in the computer and function as normal?

I'm looking at two systems, both identical make and model and identical hardware. One runs a program perfectly the other just hangs when you start the program. The system works but the program just spins and spins.

The program has no registry ties, it's essentially self contained within it's file folder so 'install' is copy the folder to another computer and click the exe.

I want to copy the HDD that is working on to a new drive and see if it works in the box that's not working. I could drop the drive with the functioning program in the other computer but the fear is if it's a hardware issue (damned if I can figure out what that could be) it could damage the functioning drive.

If this doesn't affect the functioning drive this could be the best way too safely diagnose the problem.
Can't speak to skyhawks program, but I used easeus software to partition the original hd. A recovery file was written to the partition. Then the hd was cloned to a ssd in an external housing. After, I just swapped the drives. The new ssd works perfectly. The original is sitting in the housing as a back up to my back up. I suspect you could swap out the bad drive with the good one you removed and be on your way.

I used a star tech housing. Easy peasy.

Last edited by therealnickb; 03-07-2018 at 6:47 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 03-07-2018, 5:59 PM
Waiting for Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh s.k View Post
if you get a samsung SSD, it should come with magician software that will let you clone your drive. you just need to get a dock or use a USB SATA adapter to connect your drive you want to clone.

LOL at the geeksquad post. if you don't have illegal things out on the open, also if you don't do illegal things on your computer why worry?
Who said anything about illegal? Geeks and the FBI do not need to see my financial data stored in Quicken, do not need to see who I communicate with in Outlook, do not need to read my Excel sheets and Work docs and do not need to have access to my saved passwords in my browser.

I assume you are registering all your AWs?
Old 03-07-2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
That link actually helps quite a bit. Thanks.
Quote:
I believe you have to go into the BIOS and change the setting in there. Something about ATA setting (from my preliminary research).
I should be able to find how to do that with a quick search. Thanks.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Old 03-07-2018, 7:49 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Acronis is REALLY good.
Old 03-07-2018, 8:23 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

During the process the original drive is not changed in any way, it is only read. So you can definitely revert back to it if you need to, like nothing ever happened.

As you mentioned, I would not risk booting your original working drive in the suspected wonky computer. So a clone is a good way to go.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-07-2018 at 8:29 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 8:48 PM
小さな女性

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
During the process the original drive is not changed in any way, it is only read. So you can definitely revert back to it if you need to, like nothing ever happened.

As you mentioned, I would not risk booting your original working drive in the suspected wonky computer. So a clone is a good way to go.
One thing to note: While not common, a few programs use the hardrive ID as a form of registration. I stumbled on this with AutoCad. Not a big deal as I called customer support and they issued a new key, but it's something to mention.
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 03-08-2018, 2:43 PM

The Samsung EVO comes with it's own cloning software. If you need to use something else, Macrium Reflect, or Mini Tool Partition Wizard are better than Acronis, and are free to boot. Find a You Tube video for SSD upgrade for your model of computer.

Get a USB to SATA cable. Clone your drive to the SSD, swap drives.... What works too, is to install Macrium Reflect, image the HDD, to another (3rd) drive, install the SSD, load a copy of windows 10 on it, install reflect on that, use it to pull an image from the third drive.

IF your computer has a UEFI BIOS, you MUST go in there, and disable Secure Boot. first, before doing any windows reload, or you'll FAIL.

You can get a USB 3.0 enclosure from Ebay for between $3.50, and $20. Put your old HDD in that, and use it to back up your new SSD.

You'll need:

BIOS access.
Macrium Reflect.
Windows 10 .ISO, easily downloaded from Microsnot for free.
Your new SSD.
Either a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure, or just a USB to SATA cable (Cheap) from Ebay.
A cheap, 256gb HDD from Ebay.

I would go with the Samsung EVO, as not only is it a better drive than most of the others, the cloning software is near fail safe.

In pictures:

Macrium Reflect is a good idea anyways. MUCH better than Acronis:
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

HDD enclosure:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-US...QAAOSwUoNaQ7dk

Or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-...8AAOSweQBZpMsA

This is BEST:
Samsung EVO with software:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-850...MAAOSwYNxacCSY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will work, if you want to just load windows on the new SSD, and pull a Macrium image from a third HDD:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Dig...AAAOSw6lRadOSO

Windows 10 .ISO from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

With either method, you'll need the USB to SATA cable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep your old HDD for making Macrium images of your HDD, OR, if your computer has an optical drive, you can remove it, and install a second HDD caddy, with your old HDD installed in it, and have a D:\ drive.

If you do this, you can direct Windows to place your Swap file (if you use one), all your temporary files, and your downloads, pictures, music, etc. folders to the D:\ drive, to save write cycles on your new SSD. This is what I do. If you NEED a DVD/BlueRay optical drive, the USB 3.0 external optical drives work fine.

You can also image your new SSD to your new D:\ drive with Macrium Reflect.

DON'T forget to DISABLE SECURE BOOT IN YOUR BIOS!!!

BTW, I've done this at least a hundred times. It works.

My "Daily Driver" was done using the second method, with a third HDD:

ThinkPad T440p/16gbRAM/960gb SanDisk, Ultra II SSD/1tb Toshiba HDD in the optical drive bay. No swap file, all temp files, and downloads/pictures folders are on my D:\ drive. The "My Documents" folder remains on my SSD.

To me, this is the ideal setup for any computer.

Last edited by Dragunov; 03-08-2018 at 3:40 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 2:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

dont clone your current OS from the hdd to the ssd. it wont turn out as stable as a fresh install will be.

you want to get all the speed and performance out of the ssd as you can, go with a fresh install.

the simplest explanation i can give you for the reasoning is that an hdd and ssd have different types of controllers that arrange data in different ways. a 1:1 copy never turns out well imo and i have been working with ssds for many years now.

to give you more precise instructions, i would need to know the make and model of your laptop and your budget.
Old 03-08-2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
dont clone your current OS from the hdd to the ssd. it wont turn out as stable as a fresh install will be.

you want to get all the speed and performance out of the ssd as you can, go with a fresh install.

the simplest explanation i can give you for the reasoning is that an hdd and ssd have different types of controllers that arrange data in different ways. a 1:1 copy never turns out well imo and i have been working with ssds for many years now.

to give you more precise instructions, i would need to know the make and model of your laptop and your budget.
Somewhat agree, I load windows on my new SSD, then pull the factory image (that I built) with reflect, clean it up real good, then save the image. He will be fine with that. If he starts with a plain, clean windows install, he has to hunt drivers and install them in the correct order, if he doesn't pull the backed up, factory image. Not only that, the newer controllers, sort that stuff out on there own, unlike the older ones.

The EVO drive/software is the easiest way to do this for someone who doesn't do this on a regular basis (you, and I for an example).

Last edited by Dragunov; 03-08-2018 at 3:52 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 8:00 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something (and wouldn't be the first time). If you clone the HD to the SSD in order to retain installed programs why not refresh the OS on the installed SSD from a Microsoft iso in order to remove any HD specific stuff that might impact performance.

If there's no need to keep any software then why not do a clean install directly on the SSD? Win10 allows you to do clean installs on the licensed pc without the need for a product key as far as I know.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchang1201 View Post
If there's no need to keep any software then why not do a clean install directly on the SSD? Win10 allows you to do clean installs on the licensed pc without the need for a product key as far as I know.
Exactly, I prefer clean installs as well; it doesn't take very long nowadays.
Old 03-09-2018, 8:11 AM

A related question please.

Is this the same process for a desktop? I would also like to keep the old hdd for data backup...
Old 03-09-2018, 8:24 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf & Turf View Post
A related question please.

Is this the same process for a desktop? I would also like to keep the old hdd for data backup...
Yes.
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 03-09-2018, 8:26 AM

If you're using an external docking station then it's pretty much the same. With a desktop you can open it up and install the SSD in a second slot to clone it if you haven't got a docking station.

As and aside it's good to image or clone your HD/SSD every so often in case your primary drive dies so that you have the OS and everything else ready to go just by swapping it in to the pc.
Old 03-09-2018, 8:45 AM

So I decided to just do a clean install of Windows 10 64bit. Went to Toshiba.com and d/l all necessary drivers.

As I mentioned, this laptop was a hand me down and originally came with Win8 (which I consider the worse windows ever) and I installed Win10 on top of it while it was free. So, doing a clean install will get rid of any quirky setting my wife did and eliminate any and all remnants of Win8.
Old 03-09-2018, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So I decided to just do a clean install of Windows 10 64bit. Went to Toshiba.com and d/l all necessary drivers.

As I mentioned, this laptop was a hand me down and originally came with Win8 (which I consider the worse windows ever) and I installed Win10 on top of it while it was free. So, doing a clean install will get rid of any quirky setting my wife did and eliminate any and all remnants of Win8.
Yes. Try to get the latest version of W10 so you don't have to install many updates - free download from Microsoft. There is a new version W10 update coming next month but you probably can't wait that long.
Old 03-09-2018, 9:48 PM

This works the best and comes with the cable and software to clone your drive and upgrade it. I have used it several times successfully.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C983NA...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 03-09-2018, 10:52 PM

^ thanks. I bought the external case that skyhawk post in #4. And the crucial SSD comes with as that I'm not going to use to clone.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:50 AM

I cloned my HDD drive to the SDD drive.
Now i clone the SDD drive to the old HDD drive about every three months as a back up drive. If something happens to my SDD drive i always have a way to restore my computer in 15 minutes. and i have a flash drive backup that copies the three month area.
Ransom ware or other problems are now not problems.
Old 03-10-2018, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
I cloned my HDD drive to the SDD drive.
Now i clone the SDD drive to the old HDD drive about every three months as a back up drive. If something happens to my SDD drive i always have a way to restore my computer in 15 minutes. and i have a flash drive backup that copies the three month area.
Ransom ware or other problems are now not problems.
Good on 'Ya! I've been trying to get people to do this for years. Ransom ware would've never been an issue if people would've done this.

I have multiple TB's of external storage for redundancy. One drive is JUST for images. I have all my friends, families, and my own images, on just one external drive, and another external drive, the same size that is a mirror of that one. ANYone who loses their HDD, can come to me, and get a new HDD, re-imaged.
I also keep the System32/SysWOW folders for multiple makes of computers, in case I get one, and need a quick driver load.

Each of my laptops, have two hard drives. 1 SSD, and one mechanical drive at 1tb/each.

I keep temp files, Downloads/Pictures, and everything else but the Documents folder, directed to the mechanical drive (I don't use a swap file), including a Macrium image, of course . The reason for this, is to extend the life of the SSD. The smallest SSD I have for my own, personal use, is a 960gb SanDisk SSD. I keep only games, My Documents, and my O/S on this drive.

I have a 4tb external HDD, for keeping my games, their backups, and other software (including, a copy of Windows 3.11, and DOS 6.22), and .ISO's of Windows 95/98SE/2000/XPPro/Vista/Win7/8.1, Knoppix, Linux Mint. and a custom built Windows 10pro, along with everything I need to keep them running smoothly. This, is ALSO mirrored on other external drives.

I have a 3TB external drive for our family photo's, and ripped DVD's. Family photo's are also backed up on a couple other drives.

I have a 2tb external that I keep just my utility programs, and other useful programs on, and a couple of 1tb portable external drives "Just in case".

I have maybe $600 in external storage (I get externals at a discount), but the amount of headaches I've saved, is worth every penny. ANY computer that goes down in my house, my friends house, or any other family members house, is back up and running in 10 minutes.

I even have a couple basic images for a few small business's in the area. If they lose a hard drive, I can get them up and running VERY quickly.

Any computer I build an O/S for, is also imaged, and archived for future use.

I know this might seem like "Overkill", but it doesn't only benefit me, but others..... Including a few, local business's.

I do charge business's a nominal fee ($60) for this service, and it's already been a benefit. It also keeps the cost WAAAY down on a customers computer repair. I can re-image a customers HDD, for $60+ cost of hard disk.

Just a single 2/3tb external drive, for around $75-$100, and Macrium Reflect, will give you a backup solution that will give you peace of mind for years to come!

Last edited by Dragunov; 03-10-2018 at 6:42 AM..
Old 03-11-2018, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

good, thats the way to do it. these days, win 10 can load default drivers for just about any mainstream laptop without requiring downloads from manufacturers websites.

where you run into problems is specialty equipment on the laptop like built in broadband wireless cards, fingerprint or retina scanners, etc.

when you get it all loaded, i would recommend creating an image of your system and saving it to a thumbdrive. system image backup is native to win 10.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I just finished installing a Samsung 860EVO SSD into my laptop this evening. It was trickier than my desktop rigs because this laptop was pre-loaded with windows 10.

I downloaded the windows 10 ISO then used Rufus to mount the ISO to a USB flash drive.

I had to get into the BIOS and tell it to boot from USB, everything else after that was pretty standard. This was how I did a clean install without cloning the old drive.
Old 03-12-2018, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Too late now but had you downloaded the Microsoft media creation tool it would have installed W10 on your USB flash drive without a need for 3rd party software.