Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default RING Security Doorbell.

Anyone have one?

Not sure if it is just marketing, but with price, features, warranty and services... it seems to be at the top.

https://ring.com

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 04-14-2016 at 10:22 PM..
Old 04-15-2016, 3:23 AM
Calguns Addict

This would be a good idea, but the video clips for the hype assume that the device is sitting about the same level as a peep-hole, not to the side of the door where most doorbells are, and not at about belly-level.

I am not really sure I want video going to some unknown cloud storage, that someone else holds ownership of.
Old 04-15-2016, 6:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
This would be a good idea, but the video clips for the hype assume that the device is sitting about the same level as a peep-hole, not to the side of the door where most doorbells are, and not at about belly-level.

I am not really sure I want video going to some unknown cloud storage, that someone else holds ownership of.
I've been looking at this too. I agree with the first part of your comment, good point. But the videos collected are outside the home. Any one of my neighbors could record my home as well, so I'd be much less concerned about the outside video. Inside however, I run all that to AWS.

Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 5:44 PM

I just got one as Costco and installed it today. First impressions - works well enough and sends a message to your smart phone right away but it make take a bit to see the message and pull up the video. The default motion detection settings, at least on my street, seem to activate a camera alert every time someone walks by on the sidewalk - there are different sensitivity settings that I'm experimenting with. If you can, get one at Costco where they have fairly lenient return policies. Try it out and take it back if not satisfied
Old 06-14-2016, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've got one, love it. All I can say.
Old 06-14-2016, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wifezilla bought one a couple of weeks ago, I hooked it up in ten minutes and then listened to Wifezilla rage against the company because she couldn't get the software loaded. I let her go for 20 minutes or so and then loaded it on her phone in two minutes. She managed to get the motion detector set to send the alert only when someone enters the courtyard and it doesn't alert with traffic on the street or people on the sidewalk.

Our doorbell is about 4' off the ground and off to the side of the door but the camera's lens covers the porch area pretty well.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 06-15-2016 at 3:28 PM..
Old 06-14-2016, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Was thinking of getting the Ring but ended up going a different route.
Ended up going with the two camera Blink unit.
Old 06-14-2016, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
If you can, get one at Costco where they have fairly lenient return policies. Try it out and take it back if not satisfied
Not so much with electronics.
Old 06-14-2016, 7:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the one made by August, door lock too. They work great and the image quality and sound quality are great from the doorbell camera. My only complaint is the delay sometimes in establishing the live video link from the phone. I was considering the Ring, but I already had the August lock and wanted to stay with one brand.

Old 06-14-2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Not so much with electronics.

Costco allows electronics to be returned within ninety days, no questions asked. Pretty lenient compared to other retailers
Old 06-14-2016, 7:32 PM

I've had one for about 3 months. Works great, just as advertised. Mine is hard wired where my doorbell used to be. any specific questions?
Old 06-14-2016, 7:36 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Massively annoying from the user end. Stupid ring tone.
Old 06-14-2016, 7:55 PM

What will stop a thief from taking the device from the wall and cutting the power since its battery powered. Once the power is restored, will the thief be able connect it to their wifi and use it for themselves?
Old 06-14-2016, 7:57 PM

Have it love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 06-14-2016, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark19 View Post
What will stop a thief from taking the device from the wall and cutting the power since its battery powered. Once the power is restored, will the thief be able connect it to their wifi and use it for themselves?
Only the knowledge that you will have a nice video recording of him removing the unit.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 06-15-2016, 4:04 AM

Have one, love it.
Old 06-15-2016, 4:50 AM

Tried it was not happy with the audio quality. Called support they blamed my internet connection 50MB Comcast so I took it back. I have just video at the front door with an Arlo system now.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not sure about the Ring, but the August comes with a theft replacement guarantee from the company. Also, the device has to be activated/registered online for it to link up with the app. I imagine that devices reported stolen can no longer be activated...they might still work as doorbell buttons, but the camera function would be gone.

Old 06-15-2016, 1:21 PM

Quote:
For one, you'll have them on-camera and two, they'll replace it for free! From their FAQ:

"WHAT IF SOMEONE STEALS MY RING DOORBELL?
Ring Doorbell is equipped with proprietary security screws that keep the device securely mounted. If your Ring Doorbell is stolen, please contact us with a police report and we will replace it free of charge."

$30/year for video cloud storage, too. I think they'll store your videos for up to 6 months. Many other companies I researched were around $30/month.

We've had ours for a few months now and love it. It isn't perfect but is the best system for our needs. Many crooks know about them now and won't even bother messing with your house if they see one.
Old 06-15-2016, 3:23 PM

My friend has one. It's kind of hit or miss. Her main complaint? "People knock more now."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 06-15-2016, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
You can change the ring tone.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-15-2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-shot View Post
My friend has one. It's kind of hit or miss. Her main complaint? "People knock more now."
You can set it to detect motion and it will start recording
Old 06-16-2016, 7:09 AM

Quote:
You can set it to detect motion and it will start recording
But there's no notification for occupant she states? Maybe her app is configured wrong.
Quote:
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 06-16-2016, 7:37 AM

Quote:
But there's no notification for occupant she states? Maybe her app is configured wrong.
Mine issues an alert whenever motion is detected within 5 feet of the door. You can set the motion sensitivity up to 30 feet.

It's pretty sensitive, I seem to get a lot of motion alerts. You can decrease the sensitivity but it takes a wile for it to learn and identify repeated motion (like the wind blowing plants)
Old 06-16-2016, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Mine issues an alert whenever motion is detected within 5 feet of the door. You can set the motion sensitivity up to 30 feet.

It's pretty sensitive, I seem to get a lot of motion alerts. You can decrease the sensitivity but it takes a wile for it to learn and identify repeated motion (like the wind blowing plants)
I will mention this to her thanks.

She states if she is in backyard and button is pushed she gets alert. If they knock she gets nothing.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-16-2016, 8:09 AM

I have been looking into this because we do not have a peep or a standard door bell so we don't actually know who is at the door. I dont like my wife answering the door when she is home alone.
Old 06-16-2016, 8:15 AM

Quote:
I will mention this to her thanks.

She states if she is in backyard and button is pushed she gets alert. If they knock she gets nothing.
She needs to go into the settings and turn on the "Motion Alerts" feature
Old 06-16-2016, 9:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thank you for this information.

From reviews, the biggest complaint on the battery powered version (which is the one I need) is that the video recording was too late in capturing a face shot due to the delay in wake up time from standby mode and they ended up with only shots of the back of people's heads. I don't use Faceback, so those shots would be useless.

Also, thanks to the other poster about the Costco recommendation, I will for sure pick one up from them.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Love mine. Luckily it hard wired in so I don't have to worry about battery issues. The new live view is pretty cool. I talk to UPS/Fedex people all the time. Scared the crap out of some girl scouts haha.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Now we just need one that dispenses tear gas or a taser.....kidding....but not really......back into the night with you EX-girlfriend !
Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 AM

I'm more into Nestcam cameras myself. More expensive probably but you can draw zones on the image so that you only get a notification when there is movement in that zone.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

The more layers you have the better, especially if they don't all rely on the same pipe/tech on the back end. I haven't played for a while, but as I recall wifi devices are probably still able to be disassociated with just a notebook computer...

Multiple layers of security, even if just a cc camera that they can't find the back end of would just be another layer.
Old 06-28-2016, 4:19 PM

I have two of them. A weak WiFi signal will make them unreliable and slow to ring your phone. Had to add a WiFi extender at one of our houses in order to make it reliable. Also, the phone apps work much better than a web browser for accessing your recordings.

Here's the UPS guy making a delivery: https://ring.com/share/564971664
Old 06-28-2016, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I've read about that weakness with it. A lot of people get the wifi extender. But, it adds to the overall cost of the system. Fortunately for me, my wifi is real close by.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-28-2016, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Yeah, it's incredibly annoying. Haven't seen one where the ring tone has been changed. I knock or use the regular doorbell instead. It's like an annoying alarm clock- I don't want to hear it any more.
Old 06-28-2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
I have two of them. A weak WiFi signal will make them unreliable and slow to ring your phone. Had to add a WiFi extender at one of our houses in order to make it reliable. [/url]
You might want to look into upgrading your wireless router to something with better range. I use a Linksys 1900AC and can still get my signal about 200' away from my house
Old 06-28-2016, 5:14 PM

Quote:
You might want to look into upgrading your wireless router to something with better range. I use a Linksys 1900AC and can still get my signal about 200' away from my house
I have a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, which actually has great range. The problem is the low-power chipset inside the Ring doorbell. It's designed to run off a battery for months, so it has a weak receiver and transmitter, and thus needs a strong WiFi signal. My iPhone can get a strong WiFi signal from the Nighthawk even before I've entered my driveway, which is about twice as far from the router as the Ring doorbell.

I think the construction at that house also plays a factor (remember the Ring sits outside the building envelope). At our house in CA, I have a cheap POS router and yet the Ring works fine w/o an extender. There's no lath or stucco between the Ring and the router at our CA house. There is at the other house where I needed the extender.
Old 06-28-2016, 5:37 PM

Blink camera
Old 06-28-2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
I have a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, which actually has great range. The problem is the low-power chipset inside the Ring doorbell. It's designed to run off a battery for months, so it has a weak receiver and transmitter, and thus needs a strong WiFi signal.
Makes sense - I didn't consider that. My house is wood frame and stucco and is also pretty small so no problem with my router
Old 06-28-2016, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I've been looking into video doorbells myself, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My problem is I have a stucco home and the existing doorbell button is embedded in the stucco so hardwiring would seem to be problematic. Anyway, The Wire Cutter has a review of video doorbells including the Ring (not their pick). They recommend the SkyBell HD over the Ring, but it requires hard wiring.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...orbell-camera/

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association