Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

View Poll Results: Windows 7 love it or leave it?
Love it 135 76.70%
Leave it 12 6.82%
wait? what? 15 8.52%
buy a mac 23 13.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2010, 9:45 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by groats View Post
Being willing to pay to get hit over the head repeatedly - well, what can one say about that?
Sounds like the Apple upgrade plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 05-24-2010, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groats View Post
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me 5 or 6 times, you must be Bill Gates.

Windows 7 is better than Vista, just like
getting beaten with a small stick is better than getting beaten with a big one.

Being willing to pay to get hit over the head repeatedly - well, what can one say about that?
The only real problem Vista had was a lack of hardware drivers, which is hardly the fault of Microsoft. Windows 7 uses the exact same driver model as Vista and since most newer hardware had Vista drivers by the time Windows 7 was released there was no problem. Then there were also all the OEMs that sold "Vista Capable" systems that you couldn't even install the OS onto. UAC was my only real gripe with Vista.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-24-2010, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Sounds like the Apple upgrade plan to me.
Its funny how the Apple fan boys are more than willing to pay money for what amounts an OS X service pack (e.g. 10.2 -> 10.3) but if Microsoft were to pull that crap everyone would be screaming bloody murder.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-24-2010, 5:26 PM

Windows 7 looks very VERY good. As far as it actually being reliable with programs and drivers etc. I'd say windows XP still > 7

I'm happy with my windows 7 though, A couple of nVidia crashes and Razer problems wouldn't make me go back to XP =D!
Old 05-24-2010, 6:11 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Its funny how the Apple fan boys are more than willing to pay money for what amounts an OS X service pack (e.g. 10.2 -> 10.3) but if Microsoft were to pull that crap everyone would be screaming bloody murder.
snow leppard anyone?

LMMFAO

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 05-25-2010, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
I also use Win7 Ultimate at home. While I prefer Mac, I had to bow to SWMBO's wishes... she likes windows... so now all our machines at home run that. I did have Vista on the machines just prior to the upgrade, and I have to say, the upgrade was pretty easy, considering that it was Vista 32bit to Win7 32bit. Will I go 64 bit in the future? Yes. Next machine that I build from scratch. I stuck with 32bit simply because I didn't want to have to reinstall EVERYTHING on the computer.

I think I've had (quite literally) one BSOD and a few instances of the system being unresponsive, but it's a far cry from what XP did...
If these are home built machines you're getting BSOD on - i'd take a real hard look at your hardware configuration. BSODs are extremely rare these days, and almost always tied to hardware compatibility issues. Even in XP they were pretty uncommon, and mostly had to do with badly written drivers...
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM

The only Microsoft I hated was Windows Me. Been using Microsoft OS's since DOS 5.x (and 3.x, NT 4, etc...).
Old 06-19-2010, 9:59 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

OK, now I hate it, I can see all the puters and NAS on my network, but I can't get on the interweb... I get an error 651

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have any issues with 7, Vista would break every boot though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbizzle View Post
don't use firefox, use chrome! i loves it so!
Google loves you too. Your giving them free market research.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 06-20-2010, 9:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
I was using the RC for a few months before it was released. when i stopped being able to use that, i actually went out and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate. It's the only operating system I've ever paid for.

So yeah, it's really good.
Wow, man back from the dead Huh?? I wondered if you got the ban hammer or where you'd been lately.

Sorry for the random thread interjection.
Old 06-21-2010, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Where's the Linux option in the poll?
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 06-26-2010, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
The only real problem Vista had was a lack of hardware drivers, which is hardly the fault of Microsoft. Windows 7 uses the exact same driver model as Vista and since most newer hardware had Vista drivers by the time Windows 7 was released there was no problem. Then there were also all the OEMs that sold "Vista Capable" systems that you couldn't even install the OS onto. UAC was my only real gripe with Vista.
THIS! 90% of the problems I've seen with vista were in the first 6 months or so when no one had drivers for it. This problem has gone away a long time ago. I have 2 machines running vista, one 64 bit, the other 32 bit. I've had them for a little over 2 years, and I've had none of these "horrible problems" people seem to keep going on about. It had a really poor launch due to hardware vendors not having their **** together, and that reputation has caused people to blame any issues they have on the OS. Any issues people have that are legitimately a problem with the OS are more than likely going to have issues with Windows 7 as well because Win 7 is built from the same basic platform as Vista, in the same way that Win XP was built from a similar platform to Win 2000.

UAC is an annoying feature in Vista and it's still there in Win7.

There's also some networking concerns with Vista/Win7 and XP machines as well. Sometimes an XP machine trying to access files shared on a Vista or Win7 machine will get a permissions error no matter what the share permissions are, and the fix is the same for both operating systems. I'd been trying to figure it out on my own Vista machines for awhile and had given up on it till we sold a Win7 machine to a customer that was having this issue and I finally figured out what it was, fixed it on their win7 machine, came home and fixed my Vista machine. The two OSes are extremely similar in my experience.

Sorry for the rant, but I get asked about this daily, lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 8:39 PM

The more I use it, the more I like it. All our a new workstation deployments are Windows 7 professional
Old 07-16-2010, 4:27 PM

i upgraded from vista about 1 year ago. other than taking a few weeks to see where everything was moved to for the normal location everything was cool. it is the most solid OS they have come out w/ since 98se
Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
i upgraded from vista about 1 year ago. other than taking a few weeks to see where everything was moved to for the normal location everything was cool.
Just type what you're looking for into the start menu, no need to look for anything.