Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-05-2018, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
Thank you for your responses! I used 831 Shooter for the CCW class and highly recommend Dave (Owner).

Was you in this past weekend class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 8:27 PM
CGN Contributor

FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but how many of you took the training before applying with the SO? I heard that the Sheriff prefers you get the training first so that they don’t waste time vetting and approving someone who then doesn’t pass the training.

Just trying to get an idea of the sequence you guys followed. Guess it’s presumptuous of me to schedule the class first, then hope I pass the interview.

I know I won’t have trouble with the live scan, and have no other issues, but you never know what criteria the interviewer has in judging your application.

Thanks for any info.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ FSC Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-09-2018, 9:35 PM

@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training. As for the interview, the interviewer just went through my application with me. He re-asked me every question on the list and asked for some clarifications. I was most worried about the drug use question as I had a few experimentations when young and dumb. He didn’t even hesitate on that one. We ended up in an off topic conversation about his life based on my profession. Don’t stress, don’t lie. If you did something and don’t list it, they probably will find out about it. My references received emails, but nobody else was questioned or notified. I would find some like-minded allies at work so that someone on your side knows you will be carrying. In my case, about 4 people, including my office manager know I’m carrying. I also often will be an another location that is not my primary work location, and several people there, including head of security know about it. I am discreet, but don’t want it to be a total secret in case of a defensive shooting situation. I don’t want to ever be confused as the BG.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloncito View Post
@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training. As for the interview, the interviewer just went through my application with me. He re-asked me every question on the list and asked for some clarifications. I was most worried about the drug use question as I had a few experimentations when young and dumb. He didn’t even hesitate on that one. We ended up in an off topic conversation about his life based on my profession. Don’t stress, don’t lie. If you did something and don’t list it, they probably will find out about it. My references received emails, but nobody else was questioned or notified. I would find some like-minded allies at work so that someone on your side knows you will be carrying. In my case, about 4 people, including my office manager know I’m carrying. I also often will be an another location that is not my primary work location, and several people there, including head of security know about it. I am discreet, but don’t want it to be a total secret in case of a defensive shooting situation. I don’t want to ever be confused as the BG.

Peloncito, many thanks for the good info, I appreciate it! FYI, I work for the County, so won’t be carrying at work regardless, as they have a strict no weapons policy. I don’t think I’ll even be carrying in the car, because the rule applies to County property. I wanted one mostly because I’m out at night after work alone, or with my family.

As for my coworkers, are you familiar with the AG Russell one-hand knife? I have one of those, a 2 7/8” blade pocket knife, and got funny looks when I used it one day. These people think a desk stapler is a potential deadly weapon. They’re nice folks, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t even take the CRPA monthly magazine to read at lunch.

I don’t have a lot of friends here in Salinas, but have two or three good neighbors, and have one LEO friend who works for the County who will vouch for me, and a couple of other guys in nearby towns. Do the references all have to be in County?

When I was 17-18 I smoked pot a couple of times, back in the ‘70’s, but outgrew that as soon as I graduated and got away from a couple of guys who spent their lives stoned. “Young and dumb” like you said.

Finally, do they review employment history? I have great job references from former supervisors, but not sure how much detail they go into, or how far back. I had a bad experience with a hack manager 13 years ago that didn’t end too well. I wouldn’t change the way I handled it at all, but some things are out of your control.

Thanks again for the good information!

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-09-2018 at 11:47 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training.
State law requires the IA give you a decision on your GC before training and its fees. That change was passed several years ago.

Don't believe me? Just PM Librarian and I'm sure he can quote the law/statute.

If they are requiring training before deciding about your GC, they've opened themselves up to a lawsuit or Civil Grand Jury investigation.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

26165 (d)
Quote:
(d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
I suppose they might require the course sooner, if you could get it for free ...

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-10-2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but how many of you took the training before applying with the SO? I heard that the Sheriff prefers you get the training first so that they don’t waste time vetting and approving someone who then doesn’t pass the training.

Just trying to get an idea of the sequence you guys followed. Guess it’s presumptuous of me to schedule the class first, then hope I pass the interview.

I know I won’t have trouble with the live scan, and have no other issues, but you never know what criteria the interviewer has in judging your application.

Thanks for any info.

I was always under the impression you didn't need to take the training/qualify until after you passed the background check and Interview. However, concluding my interview the officer asked if I had taken the CCW class and I responded with the same answer as above. He said that he "highly recommended" I take it ASAP. I took that as a positive sign and took the class within 10 days. My references were not contacted until after my interview but I'm wondering if they look into your background and past prior to the interview. Does anyone have any thoughts/info on this?
Old 03-10-2018, 4:24 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
State law requires the IA give you a decision on your GC before training and its fees. That change was passed several years ago.

Don't believe me? Just PM Librarian and I'm sure he can quote the law/statute.

If they are requiring training before deciding about your GC, they've opened themselves up to a lawsuit or Civil Grand Jury investigation.

No, I know you’re correct, I have the statute showing they can’t require training upfront.

To be totally clear, the IA is NOT requiring training before reviewing my application and determining GC. If I implied they did (I don’t think I did, but just in case), that was in error.

The “training first” was a recommendation from someone I trust, with an excellent reputation, who is very familiar with the process.

I’m not complaining or concerned about anything, I only want to make sure I do everything correctly and in the correct order to give myself the best chance of meeting the issuance requirements of the IA.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-10-2018 at 4:31 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

No, Monterey does not require training before review. Once approved they will say you need the training and to qualify with your listed guns

Last edited by Tripper; 03-12-2018 at 3:50 PM..
Old 03-17-2018, 11:42 PM

I finally started the process to get CCW. Can anyone please tell me how the shooting qualifications are done? Taking a class soon and I’m very curious what to expect. Signed up with Tremper Tactical.

By the way, do you do the live scan at the Sheriff’s office when you do the interview? Or do you go to one of the places that offer the service and pay for the live scan yourself?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I finally started the process to get CCW. Can anyone please tell me how the shooting qualifications are done? Taking a class soon and I’m very curious what to expect. Signed up with Tremper Tactical.

By the way, do you do the live scan at the Sheriff’s office when you do the interview? Or do you go to one of the places that offer the service and pay for the live scan yourself?
I recently got my CCW from San Benito county.
Don't no about Monterey County but the class I took with Wayne Summers was 4 hrs. long.
The first thing he did was he went over safety subjects then had the people renewing their permits qualify first then they could leave.
Next was the new applicants turn.He went over drawing your hand gun from your holster then shooting at targets from different distances.

As far as the live scan I had to go to a local business.

The Sheriff that was handling my permit gave me recommended sources for the training classes and the live scan.
Old 03-21-2018, 1:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Based on recommendations from this thread, I’m signed up with Dave at 831Shooter this coming Saturday for training.

I did the MCSO app night before last, and it went very smoothly. Uploaded all my docs and references. (Only had to save the Word file as .PDF for the site to take it.) Whoever built and is administering the website did a good job.

My SO interview appt is clear out 90 days from the time of the application, middle of June, but I’ve heard there’s a possibility they might call earlier. (?). We’ll see.

I appreciate all the helpful info, and will post back here with the results. (Keeping my fingers crossed that after this last embarrassing totally preventable incident with the Seaside ND teacher there won’t be a problem with the issuance of these permits!)

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-21-2018, 1:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

From what I’ve heard, you go to the SO on Natividad at the time of the interview, and they take your prints and do the Livescan there.

Someone please jump in if that’s incorrect, thanks.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-22-2018, 9:51 AM

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-22-2018, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Yes, when you check in for your interview, that’s when the do the livescan.
I’m not sure what trempers training consists of. Getting your training and everything else out of the way makes it easier once the livescan is done, then all you have to do ya wait for doj to respond to them on that

Old 03-30-2018, 2:59 PM

Timeline for CCW:

Application submitted: 1/27/18
Interviewed: 2/13/18
Approved 3/27/18
Old 03-30-2018, 5:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Timeline for CCW:

Approved 3/27/18

I’m really hoping all this parkland protest bs isn’t going to slow things down with the SO because of politics.

I just filled out my application on 3/19, so hope I’ll get just as quick a turnaround as you.

By the way, the earliest I could schedule my interview was June 19, three months out. Did you do the same and they called you, or were you actually able to schedule an interview online that quickly?

Thanks for any info.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-30-2018 at 6:32 PM..
Old 03-30-2018, 7:49 PM

Are they still asking neighbors and coworkers? That is insane

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
I’m really hoping all this parkland protest bs isn’t going to slow things down with the SO because of politics.

I just filled out my application on 3/19, so hope I’ll get just as quick a turnaround as you.

By the way, the earliest I could schedule my interview was June 19, three months out. Did you do the same and they called you, or were you actually able to schedule an interview online that quickly?

Thanks for any info.

I was fortunate to get my interview so quickly. It had been originally scheduled for May 1st (which was a little over 3 months from my application submission date) but they called and asked if I would consider coming earlier. When they said Feb 13th I was shocked. Two month turn around time from start to finish is pretty rare from what I understand but I thought I'd share with everyone going through the process for some motivation.

To answer your question: When you submit the application online they will contact you to schedule the interview. The background investigator recommended I do the CCW training ASAP at the interview which makes me believe that is part of the reason it went through so quickly but I could be wrong. I understand they cannot require you to do it before you get approval but I don't think it hurts. If you have a clean back ground and your references check out you have a really good chance. I'm also a business owner which doesn't hurt as well.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
No, they are no longer contacting neighbors. It makes since because I think a lot of people out there would agree that we aren't all blessed with great neighbors. I'm not sure about co-workers but I know my friend who has carried for years said they had contacted his co-workeres the last time he re-nenewed his permit. They never asked about contacting my employees and I don't have any co-workers. Hope this answers your question.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was fortunate to get my interview so quickly. It had been originally scheduled for May 1st (which was a little over 3 months from my application submission date) but they called and asked if I would consider coming earlier. When they said Feb 13th I was shocked. Two month turn around time from start to finish is pretty rare from what I understand but I thought I'd share with everyone going through the process for some motivation.

To answer your question: When you submit the application online they will contact you to schedule the interview. The background investigator recommended I do the CCW training ASAP at the interview which makes me believe that is part of the reason it went through so quickly but I could be wrong. I understand they cannot require you to do it before you get approval but I don't think it hurts. If you have a clean back ground and your references check out you have a really good chance. I'm also a business owner which doesn't hurt as well.

Thanks very much; I submitted the app on the 19th, and went ahead and took the training on the 24th. Got my cert from that yesterday, and went back in and uploaded that document as proof of training.

Hopefully they will call before June, but if not no worries; I’ve waited this long.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I have no problem with them checking with my neighbors. Looks like they are emailing your references only right now.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-31-2018, 12:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Sorry, dupe post.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 04-03-2018 at 8:57 PM..
Old 03-31-2018, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Timeline for CCW:

Approved 3/27/18

That’s pretty good, you must have caught things just right, especially the interview so quick

Old 03-31-2018, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Not generally, but they will if they feel the need to do so

Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
That’s pretty good, you must have caught things just right, especially the interview so quick

I agree and feel very fortunate!
Old 04-26-2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:

I did my training with Tremper Tactical back in February. It was 3 or 4 hours of classroom followed by about 3 hours of range time. You’ll go through some initial range safe handling exercises. You’ll shoot 50 rounds or so through your first gun at different distances. You will likely get some useful tips on draw/shooting/accuracy techniques (grip, sight alignment, etc). You’ll shoot similar quantities and distances with up to two more pistols you’d like to include on your permit. The entire class was very informative/useful. I highly recommend Steve Tremper’s course, and I’ll use him again in a couple years for my re-cert.

As for the live scan you’ll do that when you go for the interview, don’t do it someplace else.

Old 05-21-2018, 8:53 AM

Applied: 3/23/18
Original interview date: 6/26/18 (earliest available at the time)
Rescheduled interview date: 5/16/18

I was asked to give my references a heads-up that they would be receiving an email soon. Just playing the waiting game now!

Also, here's another recommendation for Dave's (831Shooter) CCW class. It isn't a simple "here's the law, now go punch holes in paper" class. He takes the CCW and general awareness mindset very seriously and conveys it in his lessons.

Oh, and he didn't bring politics into the class except when it came to the Bay Area's perception of gun owners. Don't let his Facebook page turn you off of his class if you don't agree with him.
Old 06-09-2018, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Dave’s a good guy
He runs other classes also, advanced pistol and rifle that are actually advanced not just longer
He’s also the local fNRA president. So be sure to get on his mailing list for the fNRA dinners if you are interested

Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Dave’s a good guy
He runs other classes also, advanced pistol and rifle that are actually advanced not just longer
He’s also the local fNRA president. So be sure to get on his mailing list for the fNRA dinners if you are interested

I agree. I used his class too. I also recently took a beginner AR course that was excellent. He recommended taking instruction from other instructors as well in order to get a wide variety of input. The only issue with Dave, is that he does not have any law-enforcement or military experience. I don’t think that matters all that much because he is very knowledgeable and an excellent instructor. I think Tremper is a retired LEO.

As for my comments previously about taking the course first, I guess I didn’t realize that you didn’t have to do it first. I was strongly advised by others to have it done, and read something about your application not being complete until you provide your training letter. I just read that the wrong way, I guess.

Old 07-11-2018, 5:03 PM

Are there any calguns members here that work at the Sheriff's department or have direct contact with the Sheriff or undersheriff? I am asking because I am wondering and hoping that someone can please verify or check if the CCW policy of the Sheriff changed. Or if someone can please help dislodge the backup of CCW applications that need final review and approval.

Apparently, the CCW investigator that was working there when i applied in early March has quit right after i had my interview around end of April. And there was a backlog of applications that were just sitting there. About 4 weeks ago i finally called and asked for update. The new CCW investigator apologized for the long delay in processing. According to her, many of the folders of applicants did not get processed, such as starting the necessary background and records check or the reference emails sent out. She promised that she will get mine processed ASAP, and she is trying to go by application date so people that have been waiting for too long gets done first. So 2 weeks ago i called again for update, and she said she was done processing my application already, and she passed it up the chain of command already. She said it is just sitting at the "commander's desk" together with a stack of other CCW applications just waiting for final review and approval signature.

It has been 2 weeks and there is still no word about it. I can't find a direct email to the Sheriff or undersheriff so i can send an inquiry. The CCW investigator assured me that she reminds the commander about the stack of CCW applications every time she adds more to it. But that is all she can do.

Why is it taking this long to get it done? It is getting frustrating. I paid the fees and did all necessary requirements just like the others also waiting for their CCW. Aren't we entitled to a timely manner in processing the application?
Old 07-11-2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Why is it taking this long to get it done? It is getting frustrating. I paid the fees and did all necessary requirements just like the others also waiting for their CCW. Aren't we entitled to a timely manner in processing the application?

I’m tempted to say, just be patient. We are lucky enough to live in a county where this is even a possibility. I understand the frustration as I had to deal with a similar backlog last year. However, if you lived in Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, or San Francisco counties, they would laugh at you if you turned in an application. I am in a profession where I deal with the backlog of paperwork all day long, and understand how these things come to happen. When somebody constantly calls requesting that theirs be moved to the top of the list, it makes me want to put it at the bottom. It will happen for you, I’m sure, but it is still a bureaucracy. Just be thankful that the right man won the election

Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM

It must be pretty bad because my references haven't been contacted yet.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdude56k View Post
It must be pretty bad because my references haven't been contacted yet.
When they do, you should be close. Mine was approved less than a week after they were contacted.
Old 07-12-2018, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Delete
Old 07-12-2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
When they do, you should be close. Mine was approved less than a week after they were contacted.
It's been more than 2 weeks since my references were all contacted.
Old 07-12-2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
It's been more than 2 weeks since my references were all contacted.

That sucks. I have a friend who is a retired deputy sheriff. I’ll ask him if he knows what’s going on. He still knows a bunch of people at the MSO.

Old 07-12-2018, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I know it’s tough but please bare with it a bit. There have been retirements and personnel shuffling recently, not to mention vacations, and ccw got caught up in the midst of it, new ccw assignments have been made and they are working the backlog. Now that’s it’s staffed again things should get back to fairly decent application to issue time frame.

Old 07-13-2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
I know it’s tough but please bare with it a bit. There have been retirements and personnel shuffling recently, not to mention vacations, and ccw got caught up in the midst of it, new ccw assignments have been made and they are working the backlog. Now that’s it’s staffed again things should get back to fairly decent application to issue time frame.

I totally understand. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM

That makes sense. Just a little bit more patience.