Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Default traffic stop in OC

I recently got cited for a moving violation in OC. Verbally, I didn't notify the officer of my CCW, but I handed over my permit and CADL, along with registration and insurance. Does that satisfy my necessary requirements to inform LE of my LTC?

Also, where did you guys notify OCSD if this has happened to you? Their site lists a number, and twice it went to voicemail. I opted to send CCW Permits an email so I have some sort of documentation that I notifed them in time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2018, 2:57 PM

....if you had your weapon on you when pulled over........the first thing out of your mouth should have been "CCW, I have my weapon on me".
Old 05-14-2018, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
....if you had your weapon on you when pulled over........the first thing out of your mouth should have been "CCW, I have my weapon on me".
Wrong. (IMHO)

Handing a valid permit does exactly the same thing, and, having taken POST classes including trafffic stop training, you do not want to say “gun”, “weapon,” or anything like those words to a cop. It’s much safer to hand over your permit with your driver license and say “I need you to look at both of those”

There is a difference in the way the brain processes reading that you have a valid permit and hearing someone on a traffic stop say the word “weapon”.

Ask any cop which is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-14-2018, 4:12 PM

Wow, thanks Citadelgrad87...thank makes sense. Our sheriff has stated he wants ccw people to tell the deputy when pulled over...my bad for not asking for exact wording to make it 'safe' for both of us.

Until further advised I'm going to use your example.
Old 05-14-2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I recently got cited for a moving violation in OC. Verbally, I didn't notify the officer of my CCW, but I handed over my permit and CADL, along with registration and insurance. Does that satisfy my necessary requirements to inform LE of my LTC?

Also, where did you guys notify OCSD if this has happened to you? Their site lists a number, and twice it went to voicemail. I opted to send CCW Permits an email so I have some sort of documentation that I notifed them in time.

Thanks in advance.
I notified OC Sheriff's Department about LEO interaction with regards to a traffic citation. This is the email I got back.

Quote:
Mr. G******,

Thank you for notifying us about your contact with the CHP. Receiving a traffic citation for an infraction is not a violation of the Terms of License Acknowledgement and it is not required to be reported. However, if you were cited for a misdemeanor or arrested, this would definitely need to be reported under our license acknowledgement agreement. Thank you for letting us know and I appreciate your honesty. Sorry you have to go to traffic school!

Respectfully,

Sergeant *******

Orange County Sheriff’s Department

Professional Standards Division

CCW Licensing Unit

(714) 834-5472

********@ocsd.org
Old 05-14-2018, 6:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You handled it well and you don't need to advise OCSD of the incident.
Old 05-14-2018, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Wrong. (IMHO)

Handing a valid permit does exactly the same thing, and, having taken POST classes including trafffic stop training, you do not want to say “gun”, “weapon,” or anything like those words to a cop. It’s much safer to hand over your permit with your driver license and say “I need you to look at both of those”

There is a difference in the way the brain processes reading that you have a valid permit and hearing someone on a traffic stop say the word “weapon”.

Agree. But, I would also add, “...and let me know how you’d like to proceed.”
Old 05-14-2018, 8:03 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Agree. But, I would also add, “...and let me know how you’d like to proceed.”
Yep.

The guy at your window may be chill, but what you don't see if the rookie partner off your right quarter panel with an itchy finger hearing the word "gun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 PM

I’ve been handed a few CCW permits on traffic stops; personally I like that best because it prevents someone who is nervous from saying something dumb due to their nerves.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Even though my CCW is not from OC. My first contact is always. (while handing over my CCW and Drivers license) Hi there, San Bernardino Sheriff requires me to disclose I'm a CCW holder. I wait till the LEO is finished looking over my credentials. Then I talk about the issue at hand.

Usually its me calling the Sheriff for crimes that has taken place. So far no traffic violations, but it would go about the same. Hands where they can see, if possible I light up the location so everything is clear. Makes their job easier.

Never had a issue. Its usually "cool" or like it was nothing special, makes not comment.
Old 05-15-2018, 2:19 AM

"Good afternoon, Deputy.

This is my Driver's License and another important document I'm required to show you. Let me know how you'd like to proceed. You have my full cooperation. "
Old 05-15-2018, 3:13 AM
Veteran Member

Default This

True...
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
"Good afternoon, Deputy.

This is my Driver's License and another important document I'm required to show you. Let me know how you'd like to proceed. You have my full cooperation. "
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-15-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
I notified OC Sheriff's Department about LEO interaction with regards to a traffic citation. This is the email I got back.
Hey Randy,

How long ago was your stop and notification? I believe their rules changes around the beginning of the year to all contact with law enforcement minus a greeting in passing. I just got a response from a Sergeant asking for a copy of my citation. Once I sent it over, he said no further action was necessary.
Old 05-15-2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I’ve been handed a few CCW permits on traffic stops; personally I like that best because it prevents someone who is nervous from saying something dumb due to their nerves.
True, I don't want to show up as a facebook article on my friend's feeds. I made sure the permit was stacked on top of my DL, car reg and insurance below that. He never mentioned it, or asked where I was carrying, so I didn't state anything else.
Old 05-15-2018, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Hey Randy,

How long ago was your stop and notification? I believe their rules changes around the beginning of the year to all contact with law enforcement minus a greeting in passing. I just got a response from a Sergeant asking for a copy of my citation. Once I sent it over, he said no further action was necessary.

That is correct. I added a couple new guns to my OC CCW last month and they pointed out to me what has changed. The main thing is reporting to them if it's a moving violation (parking tickets still aren't reportable). Back when I originally got my permit they told me it was misdemeanor or higher. But now it's moving violation.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Wrong. (IMHO)

C'mon man, everyone knows you should yell "GUN!" to let them know you're CCW. This way they're alert and focused. To really steer things in the right direction, follow that with "AM I BEING DETAINED?"

Just kidding, don't do that **** - that's how people get shot.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
That is correct. I added a couple new guns to my OC CCW last month and they pointed out to me what has changed. The main thing is reporting to them if it's a moving violation (parking tickets still aren't reportable). Back when I originally got my permit they told me it was misdemeanor or higher. But now it's moving violation.
No, moving violations don't need to be reported. This is an exact quote from Melissa:

Quote:
Hi there, it would be any contact with LEO with the exception of moving violations (parking, speeding, seatbelt, red arrow, toll, etc.)
Old 05-15-2018, 3:54 PM

From the OCSD website:>
http://www.ocsd.org/about/info/servi..._holders_guide

The part in bold is in bold on the OCSD website.

For CCW License Holders in Vehicles:
Remain calm
If driving, safely yield, roll down both front windows, turn on interior lights (during hours of darkness), and turn off your vehicle. If your windows are tinted, roll down all windows
Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer(s)
Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel or dashboard and leave your seatbelt on
Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed
Let the officer(s) know where your identification and firearm are located and ask how they would like you to proceed
Carefully follow the instructions of the officers

How to advise them that you are armed without causing panic?
The opinions of those more knowledgeable than me will be appreciated!
Old 05-15-2018, 4:58 PM

I tell them "I have a Conceal Carry license, and the answer to your next question is 'Yes.' How would you like me to proceed?"
Old 05-15-2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Hey Randy,

The email I received regarding traffic stop was dated 01/17/2017.
Old 05-15-2018, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
From the OCSD website:>

The part in bold is in bold on the OCSD website.

For CCW License Holders in Vehicles:
Remain calm
If driving, safely yield, roll down both front windows, turn on interior lights (during hours of darkness), and turn off your vehicle. If your windows are tinted, roll down all windows
Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel or dashboard and leave your seatbelt on
Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed
Let the officer(s) know where your identification and firearm are located and ask how they would like you to proceed

How to advise them that you are armed without causing panic?
The opinions of those more knowledgeable than me will be appreciated!
Easy: hand over your CCW with your license and tell them they need to read both. Then they may ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-15-2018, 6:30 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post
Even though my CCW is not from OC. My first contact is always. (while handing over my CCW and Drivers license) Hi there, San Bernardino Sheriff requires me to disclose I'm a CCW holder.
Except I don't think San Berdardino Sheriff requires it, unless it's changed in the last year.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 05-15-2018, 6:36 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Except I don't think San Berdardino Sheriff requires it, unless it's changed in the last year.
STRONGLY recommended, but not required as a matter of policy.
Mason presented the situation pretty strongly as if it were policy.
Captain Marhoefer said that they would find out when they ran your DL, so you may as well be up front.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-15-2018, 7:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Captain Marhoefer said that they would find out when they ran your DL, so you may as well be up front.
Told us the same. I agree that it just gets handed to a cop if I am required to hand over ID, that's my policy.

Old 05-15-2018, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
STRONGLY recommended, but not required as a matter of policy.
Mason presented the situation pretty strongly as if it were policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Told us the same. I agree that it just gets handed to a cop if I am required to hand over ID, that's my policy.
I was actually told the opposite. They told us that we should tell them because it's not attached to your driver's license.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 05-15-2018, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
I was actually told the opposite. They told us that we should tell them because it's not attached to your driver's license.

If they run your driver's license against the "known individuals" file, your CII# will pop up and reveal your license. Then, they'll come back to your car to talk.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post

Your permit is not “attached” in anyway to your driver’s license. What actually happens is a separate system either in house or in the CLETS is queried and provides the return.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:04 AM
CGN Contributor

I doubt very seriously that you'd need more than one hand to count the number of CCW holders that ever shot a cop. I mean, that's what the background check is all about isn't it? Let's face it, if someone is planning on surprising an cop at a traffic stop with a gun, it's not going to be after they tell the guy they are carrying.

Old 05-16-2018, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
C'mon man, everyone knows you should yell "GUN!" to let them know you're CCW. This way they're alert and focused. To really steer things in the right direction, follow that with "AM I BEING DETAINED?"

Just kidding, don't do that **** - that's how people get shot.
Oh God that was good. I would add that after the stop is over, run back to the police car and ask if they need any help going after criminals.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Oh God that was good. I would add that after the stop is over, run back to the police car and ask if they need any help going after criminals.
Idk, I read online somewhere that cops like guns so you should be like "hey check this out, do you think this is cool???"

But no, I personally like the CCW card hand off. The one time I disclosed I definitely blurted out something retarded about being armed, but it was in a free state and the officer didn't care.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Going after "real" criminals! lol
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Sac county: I was pulled over for expired tags (DMV messed up) by Sac PD. I handed my permit with my license and didn't verbally acknowledge anything. The officer never even mentioned anything about it. Just told me a story about how he hates DMV too, returned my documents and sent me on my way.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
the first thing out of your mouth should have been "CCW, I have my weapon on me".
Hmmm...
Don't think I would advise someone to go about it quite like that.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:34 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Hmmm...
Don't think I would advise someone to go about it quite like that.
I HAVE A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 05-16-2018, 8:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
I tell them "I have a Conceal Carry license, and the answer to your next question is 'Yes.' How would you like me to proceed?"
I like this one.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2018, 9:19 PM

Kinda funny: Not long after I got my permit I got stopped by Ripon PD for a moving violation coming out of the FlyingJ. I was on my way to work and in uniform (Army). I handed him my CDL and permit and said something like “the second item is my CCW permit”. He sorta glanced at and immediately handed it back to me with a distinct “meh” look and said “you can hang onto that, thanks”

He then explained my error and sent me on my way with a thanks for your service comment that I returned. It was quite anticlimactic...
01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I HAVE A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I ain’t going back to jail!!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM

If your gun is bigger than the LEO's gun, you get off with a warning and praise.

I've been pulled over and provided the officer with my DL, CCW, Insurance, and registration all at once. He thanked me and asked me where the firearm was located and to keep my hands on the steering wheel for our safety. He went to his car for a minute then came back and let me off with a warning. I've never received a warning before that.
Old 05-26-2018, 9:38 AM

Here is what the OCSD website says to do

If stopped by the police...

Remain calm

If driving, safely yield, roll down both front windows, turn on interior lights (during hours of darkness), and turn off your vehicle.

If your windows are tinted, roll down all windows

Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification.

Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed

REPORTING

Please remember you are required by agreement to notify the CCW Licensing Unit of your law enforcement contact within five days. Failure to do so may result in revocation of your CCW License. CCW Licensing Unit: 714-834-5502
Old 05-27-2018, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

I think these "ccw declaration" LTC policies are beyond stupid. Traveling from 1 county to another can see this requirement flip. To declare or not declare depending on the county you're IA is in needs to be standardized IMO.
Cops in non-declare counties don't care and counties that don't issue LTC to general population feel they need to be told "in a certain way" so their fears/angst may be asuaged.
Policeman officer (hot fuz ref) will always control the conversation.
"Do you know why I pulled you over? " "No".
Do you have any weapons in the car? ". "Yes I do (if you do) and you can see my permit for it."
The declare or not delare problem will usually resolve itself if the cop is fishing properly.
Your real problem is paying the over priced $$$$ they charge for a violation. Hiway robbery these days, but I digress.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --