Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-15-2017, 1:26 PM

Default Current Address Not on CDL

This has probably been asked and answered but I could not find it.

I have a customer with a CDL that still shows his parent's address. I talked to my DOJ rep who said his CDL + fishing license would work along with his apartment lease as the "proof of residence" since its a handgun sale.

When I read the ATF 4473 instructions, ATF wants a second "government issued" ID if the CDL address isn't current. If you look at a fishing license, its clearly issued by the State of California and it says right on it "Resident for more than 6 months". So I'd think this would satisfy ATF. But you can get a fishing license from any Walmart so is it really "government issued"? Am I being paranoid? What do you other FFL's accept to meet the AFT criteria?

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-15-2017, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

AFAIK DOJ is the only one who's ever said Fishing and hunting licenses are not acceptable for proof of residency. ATF has said that any combination of government issued documents can be used to satisfy proof of address. I would think you would be GTG.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan for our deal of the day!

HOT DEAL OF THE WEEK! END OF THE MONTH SALE!New stock save up to 15% on shotguns and rifles. Ask for a discount on new pistols too!
Old 09-15-2017, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fishing and hunting license are issued by state and printed at license agent.
Old 09-15-2017, 3:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
But you can get a fishing license from any Walmart so is it really "government issued"?
Would a vehicle registration issued by the DMV at AAA make it any less government issued?

HOT DEAL OF THE WEEK! END OF THE MONTH SALE!New stock save up to 15% on shotguns and rifles. Ask for a discount on new pistols too!
Old 09-15-2017, 3:58 PM

I don't know about a AAA registration document, but the state issued one works fine, used it more than once
Old 09-15-2017, 7:31 PM

My CDL has not been my current address for my last 3 handgun purchases. My car reg is current and works just fine.
Old 09-15-2017, 7:49 PM
Banned

Use a water bill.
Old 09-16-2017, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggie View Post
Use a water bill.
Only if it is from a government since the Feds require a government document if the ID does not have your current residence address.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-17-2017, 8:28 PM

You didn't state if this is for a long gun or a handgun.

If a long gun, then the only need for second proof would be the federal requirement for second proof of identity in the case of a no match driver's license. In this instance ATF does accept fishing and hunting licenses that have your correct residential address listed on it.

If for a handgun, the hunting fishing license does not suffice the California requirement for second proof of residency as it is specifically excluded from the list of appropriate documents BUT could be used to fill the federal no match, in conjunction with a non government issued 2nd proof of residency.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:13 AM

You know I thought about AAA issued DMV materials being as valid as those directly from DMV... Call me paranoid.

None of his vehicles or his utility bills have his physical address. They are all either his parents or a PO Box. His apartment charges extra for a mail box so he opted for a PO Box.

It is a handgun sale so as I see it, the fishing license meets the federal rule requiring a second form of government issued ID. He has an apartment lease with his physical address which would satisfy DOJ for the handgun sale.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wanna know what one of my OG field reps said to me. If you're adult enough to buy a gun, you're adult enough to have the proper documents.

Old 09-18-2017, 9:01 AM

Speaking Federal only, there are a lot of documents that can provide the proper proof. Driver's license, car registration, voter ID card, government issued ID, municipal documents, tax bills/receipts, hunting/fishing license, etc. Follow Federal requirements published by ATF and listed in the instructions for 4475 and you're good.

And tell him to update his documents.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2017, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
Wanna know what one of my OG field reps said to me. If you're adult enough to buy a gun, you're adult enough to have the proper documents.
This x100 !!!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Papers! You have no papers?

Where have I heard that before? :-)

Seriously, its amusing selling a gun to a first time buyer or someone who has not bought one in a long time. They are amazed at the paperwork and the extent of documents required. I've even had a few comment (on a PPT) "You have to do all that for $10?".
Old 09-18-2017, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

You can have two addresses on a vehicle registration. Honestly, I am not sure of how to do it, I just know that is the way it is with one of my vehicles, but not the others. All mail goes to a PO Box.

Isn't it interesting that if you are "homeless", such as being retired and living in an RV, you can't legally buy a firearm from a dealer.

The stupid requirements regarding the proper documents is not about being adult enough. For a handgun in CA, your CA ID/DL is not acceptable proof of residency, but you can use that ID to get a government document, such as a fire permit, which then is acceptable, yet it is based on the very same ID. Having a utility bill with your address on it does not prove you live there, you could be doing a friend a favor or just do it in order to claim you live there so you can buy an firearm (see RV comment).

Remember, it is easier to buy a book than a firearm. I just wonder where that is, but I suspect it is only in the delusional minds of mentally ill politicians.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-18-2017, 4:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The stupid requirements regarding the proper documents is not about being adult enough.
What was being implied by my ATF inspector was regarding their requirements. ID only. Thus, when the purchaser moved they chose to not get a new ID with their current address on it. Therefore they made an adult decision to not pay the additional price to get a new ID with their current address on it. Like when I moved, as an avid gun buyer I made the choice to NOT get a new ID issued with my new address on it since I knew my CCW would have my new address listed and suffice. Had that not been an option I would have gone ahead and got a new ID with my new address. Because, as an adult who thinks ahead I consider such things as becoming a future problem.

Last edited by acespawnshop; 09-18-2017 at 4:37 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

The DMV does not seem to like to issue new IDs if you move, they like the little brown card. One way around that is to get a CA ID, in addition to a CA DL. You could say that you lost the ID. If you request a new one, then they invalidate the ID, so it can not be used until you get a new one. It is better to just use vehicle registration and not give the state more money.