Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-22-2013, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Go for it !
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-23-2013, 4:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
If you've seen me shoot skeet with my 590 you know I don't look down the top of the barrel when shooting skeet, the stock just doesn't fit me well enough.

I'd like to put a red-dot on for use with slugs/buckshot. I dont' want to remove it every time i shoot skeet.

Assuming I'm not in a tournament, will they get pissy if I have a red-dot turned off on top of my shotgun?

I have no issue getting teased (used to that at the clinics already).
So you're in an immature hissy fit about a red-dot on the skeet field because you can't mount your weapon correctly?...Because the stock doesn't fit you?

Why not just fix the fit issue?

If you want to do it the hard way, you might find a red-dot or 2 that mount with a single screw, a nickel fits the screw. Maybe google eo-tech or something?

Speak with your clinic maybe about self-esteem.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 02-23-2013, 7:14 AM

I'll keep checking back on this thread, but it looks to me like hardly no one here has actually tried an e-sight on their shotgun much. I was a total skeptic too, until I actually used one a bunch. Mine have all worked great. Somebody else go buy one so I'm not the only killer with a totally weird shotgun.

Once again on the stock. YOU DON'T CHEEK THE GUN. Just throw it up, put the dot on the coyote's nose and it dies. I suppose you need to be a foot in front of a clay. It takes a while to get used to it. But it works. YOU DON'T CHEEK THE GUN. Alignment is automatic.

Two friends use the Fastfire. It costs less, cases and draws easier, blocks the view less, but doesn't have as big a view as the Eotech. We are definitely outshooting everyone else stuck in their old school coyote ruts, but that has more to do with woodcraft than shotgun sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Optics are common for Turkey hunting, heck I use a 4x25 scope with a diamond instead of a crosshair so I know when the turkey is in range, when a Tom's head is larger than te diamond I'm in range. Never seen a red dot used for trap and skeet; not sure why your want to limit your field of view you're not really aiming at a specific point, rather swinging the shotgun to spray out shot like a hose.
Turkeys a different kind of target, more like shooting a paper bullseye. They're not moving. T hunters use super tight chokes, small patterns, and sit on their butts. Clays and coyotes are fast moving, coming, going, and crossing and you stand up. Ducks and Geese are moving too, but wet conditions mean cleaning the e-sight all the time which doesn't work for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
If you've seen me shoot skeet with my 590 you know I don't look down the top of the barrel when shooting skeet, the stock just doesn't fit me well enough.

I'd like to put a red-dot on for use with slugs/buckshot. I dont' want to remove it every time i shoot skeet.

Assuming I'm not in a tournament, will they get pissy if I have a red-dot turned off on top of my shotgun?

I have no issue getting teased (used to that at the clinics already). ;-)
Not if you tell them it's a prescription red dot because you are near sighted!
Old 02-23-2013, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Here is another picture of someone using a holosight to solve a crossfire problem in trap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Scully
Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William James
I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.