Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-14-2011, 3:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default 454 Casull loading experience for carbines?

The lever action bug has bitten me lately, and I have been looking at some of the 454 casull carbine length rifles. Has anyone loaded for these bad boys? Ive read a few places there getting ballistics just a bit light of mid range 45/70 loads.

Im looking specifically in the 230-250ish range XTP hollow points for some hog hunting.

Thats
Z

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Stuff for sale:
CZ Sp-01 Tactical Off Roster + CGW parts + Holsters
Old 11-14-2011, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a 15" encore in 454casull and am getting 22??FPS with a max load of H-110 and a 240gr HP XTP. I could look it up to be sure. This is over my Chronograph at 15'. A better bullet is the Nosler 260gr PAR for hogs.
Old 11-14-2011, 5:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Thats for the info, are you getting decent accuracy at around 100 yards? Trying to decide between this and a 30-30. I personally like the idea of a 230 +grain .45 projectile over a 140-160 .30 cal projectile.

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-14-2011, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

I never see any .454 leverguns round these parts. I think it would be an awesome round to shoot out of a rifle, but for almost the same price i could load .45-70 and have a much better time with it. I wouldnt be so quick to discount the .30-30, its more than enough power and you will be very acurate at longer ranges.
Old 11-14-2011, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Accuracy is fine. But for the use in a rifle/carbine I would think that a 45/70 would do you even better and could be loaded up or down. If you want a 454 then it will do what you ask. I am sure about that. The Nosler PAR pistol bullet or the Barnes pistol bullet would work better on hogs than the 240HP driven that fast in my mind. In a carbine the 454 would have little kick compared to the 45/70 or a 454 pistol.

On another note I got a 500S&W barrel for my encore pistol and it kicks way more than the 454. It hurt my wrist when the 454 does not. That would be another good hog cartridge.
Old 11-14-2011, 8:22 PM
It's a drinking solution.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Puma 92 in 454. It's a thumper for sure.

Some folks have a real problem getting POI/POA in the same neighborhood.

YMMV.
[Drawbridge opens, leaving a flattened Yosemite Sam]

Okay, rabbit, you forced me to use force!

Before going after the Electoral College, we should first rethink whatever primary system that ended up with Hillary Clinton as one of the candidates.
Old 11-14-2011, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
Thats for the info, are you getting decent accuracy at around 100 yards? Trying to decide between this and a 30-30. I personally like the idea of a 230 +grain .45 projectile over a 140-160 .30 cal projectile.
Don't bother with a 230 grain bullet for a 454, it's too light and the construction is generally not intended for that kind of speed....the bullets tend to blow apart.

454 shines in the heavy bullet ranges 360-420 grain range.

I shoot 420 grain hardcast in all my 454 (revolvers and rifles), for hog hunting.

120 yards is the furthest I've taken (or attempted to take) a hog with a 454. It was with a Browning single shot 1885, and it broke major hog bone at that distance.

[IMG][/IMG]

I prefer heavy bullets for hog hunting. It's good to have something that can end and ugly situation quickly if you get charged at close range....that means having a bullet tha will break/penetrate heavy bone in a one shot.

Plenty of 223 hog hunters, they're typically hunting hogs on farms in open areas at some distance, not trudging through heavy brush and trying to get to the hogs where they're bedded (which is usually required if you're hunting public land and actually want to have a chance at a hog).

Last edited by tankerman; 11-14-2011 at 8:41 PM..
Old 11-14-2011, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I used to shoot Corbon's very similar to these

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/corb...x-p-75152.html
Old 11-14-2011, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

These would work well too

http://www.cabelas.com/handgun-ammun...nition-2.shtml
Old 11-15-2011, 3:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
I never see any .454 leverguns round these parts. I think it would be an awesome round to shoot out of a rifle, but for almost the same price i could load .45-70 and have a much better time with it. I wouldnt be so quick to discount the .30-30, its more than enough power and you will be very acurate at longer ranges.
Im not doubting the 30-30 at all, Like I said Im just looking for something with a bit larger caliber. Ill end up with both eventually. Main reason Im looking at 454 instead of 40/70 is a little more ammo in the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
Don't bother with a 230 grain bullet for a 454, it's too light and the construction is generally not intended for that kind of speed....the bullets tend to blow apart.

454 shines in the heavy bullet ranges 360-420 grain range.

I shoot 420 grain hardcast in all my 454 (revolvers and rifles), for hog hunting.

120 yards is the furthest I've taken (or attempted to take) a hog with a 454. It was with a Browning single shot 1885, and it broke major hog bone at that distance.

I prefer heavy bullets for hog hunting. It's good to have something that can end and ugly situation quickly if you get charged at close range....that means having a bullet tha will break/penetrate heavy bone in a one shot.

Plenty of 223 hog hunters, they're typically hunting hogs on farms in open areas at some distance, not trudging through heavy brush and trying to get to the hogs where they're bedded (which is usually required if you're hunting public land and actually want to have a chance at a hog).
Thanks, were going to be stomping around in the woods, not farm hunting. My buddy has a 30-06 incase we need something for distance anyways, this is going to be for *ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US* range out to about 100 yards. I dont trust my eyesight our any further. Should I entirely skip the HP loads? I usually stick with the XTP since they seem to have the best penetration without fragmenting like crazy, but this has all been shooting out of a 4"-5" barrel .45 loaded around 900 FPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
I used to shoot Corbon's very similar to these

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/corb...x-p-75152.html
Im to cheap to shell out for factory ammo : )

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-15-2011, 4:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I have a Puma 92 in 454. It's a thumper for sure.

Some folks have a real problem getting POI/POA in the same neighborhood.

YMMV.
I wish they were still making it. Right now I have my eye set on a rossi m92. Hoping to find one on the used market in the next couple months. We have a hog hunt set up for next month, looking like ill be bringing the 12ga with slugs for it though.

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-15-2011, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Im not doubting the 30-30 at all, Like I said Im just looking for something with a bit larger caliber. Ill end up with both eventually. Main reason Im looking at 454 instead of 40/70 is a little more ammo in the tube.

Thanks, were going to be stomping around in the woods, not farm hunting. My buddy has a 30-06 incase we need something for distance anyways, this is going to be for *ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US* range out to about 100 yards. I dont trust my eyesight our any further. Should I entirely skip the HP loads? I usually stick with the XTP since they seem to have the best penetration without fragmenting like crazy, but this has all been shooting out of a 4"-5" barrel .45 loaded around 900 FPS

Im to cheap to shell out for factory ammo : )
You can definatley shoot hot loads with 454, out of a carbine you will probably get into 45-70 territory. There are really only a few jacketed bullets on the market capable of handling these velocities though. I suggest Hornady 240 grn XTP MAG, they are cheaper than the 200 grn FTX which are made for the S&W 460, and i like the heavier hollowpoint bullets without that annoying red tip anyway.

You could always use hardcast lead, there are some real monsters out there, reloadammo has data for 395 grn projectiles
Old 11-15-2011, 7:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
You can definatley shoot hot loads with 454, out of a carbine you will probably get into 45-70 territory. There are really only a few jacketed bullets on the market capable of handling these velocities though. I suggest Hornady 240 grn XTP MAG, they are cheaper than the 200 grn FTX which are made for the S&W 460, and i like the heavier hollowpoint bullets without that annoying red tip anyway.

You could always use hardcast lead, there are some real monsters out there, reloadammo has data for 395 grn projectiles
Thanks Mark
Ill check it out. Im about 10 minutes from cabelas, so getting a few different bullets is easy to do.

Im still looking for a 454 with the specs I want, seems to be hard to find. May end up with the 45/70 it seems.

Wanting to find something with a 18" barrel, and factory if possible forward of the receiver mounted scope rail. Doesn't seem like anyone has one, so may just go with the 20" Rossi and figure out away to mount a rail.

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-15-2011, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I order my 454 hardcast bullets from these folks; http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

454 - 420 grain hardcast with gas check.

They make as fine a bullet lead as I've seen. Extremely nice people to deal with too.

I also purchase 45/70 bullets from them too; 500 and 560 grain hardcast w/GC that I use in my Marlin 1895 GG.

I'm a big fan of big heavy bullets for hog hunting, got three 454's and two 45/70's and a (Winchester 1895) 35 Winchester that are my primary hog guns.
Old 11-15-2011, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My experimenting with lighter (jacketed) 45 caliber bullets was in my SA revolvers (SRH and FA Premier Grade). Never found a bullet that was up to the task of being driven that fast.

Never put any in my rifle, just didn't see the point.

One thing I really disliked about the 200-250 grain jacketed bullets in the SA revolves was the recoil. It was very snappy and really jammed up my wrist joints, the heavy cast bullets gave a heavy but much slower feeling recoil that's not painful.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I would think with that much energy behind a hardcast you would be getting some decent expansion on the round, how is it preforming for you?

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would think with that much energy behind a hardcast you would be getting some decent expansion on the round, how is it preforming for you?

Performance is great.
100% penetration, 100% of the time.
There is no hog bone that can stop the hardcast bullets I'm using.
Old 11-16-2011, 7:20 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

sounds good. When I get to the point ill give them a try. Right now still on the search for the rifle : _

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-18-2011, 6:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Think ive settled on 45/70, going to try to find a lovingly used 1895GBL

Stuff for sale:
Old 11-23-2011, 6:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Think ive settled on 45/70, going to try to find a lovingly used 1895GBL

Make sure you upgrade the sights.
Old 11-23-2011, 7:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Planning on a 1x4 scope.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Stuff for sale: