Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-06-2018, 2:54 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Do you have a cite for that?

Nope. I sat in a meeting with the Sgt that runs the CCW unit where he explained that is their policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 04-06-2018, 4:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Nope. I sat in a meeting with the Sgt that runs the CCW unit where he explained that is their policy.

Well apparently it's not getting to the trainers. I know someone who shot the other day and had both those mods....nothing was said.
Old 04-06-2018, 6:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well apparently it's not getting to the trainers. I know someone who shot the other day and had both those mods....nothing was said.

Thatís unfortunate. Either that trainer skipped the meeting or just wasnít paying attention. It will ultimately come down on the trainer, but the CCW holder will bear the consequences as well.

Hopefully the secret shopper OCSD is sending out to the approved trainers will start to weed out the companies that arenít holding up the standards set by OCSD.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 04-06-2018, 8:43 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
OCSD isn't nearly concerned about what mods you do to your permitted weapons as a prosecutor would be, should you actually have to use it to defend yourself. Good shoot or not - if you have modified it to enhance its offensive capacity they could well use that against you. You don't want to be in a place where you have to explain to a jury why you lightened the trigger pull on your firearm.

This thread may shed more light: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=951471
I got a dead link for the document(s) at OCSD in the first few responses.
Because it makes the gun a more effective tool to eliminate the imminent threat to my life and reduces the chance that my adrenaline-induced trigger pull will cause me to throw my shot and hit an innocent bystander.

My pistols are all stock, but I'm playing devil's advocate here. Can you cite a case where a CCWer was convicted of some kind of crime for having used a modified weapon in an otherwise-justified self defense shooting?

Last edited by tuna quesadilla; 04-07-2018 at 7:00 AM..
Old 04-06-2018, 8:46 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Because it makes the gun a more effective tool to eliminate the imminent threat to my life and reduces the chance that my adrenaline-induced trigger pull will cause me to throw my shot and hit an innocent bystander.

My pistols are all stock, but I'm playing devil's advocate here. Can you cite a case where a CCWer was convicted of some kind of crime for having used a modified weapon in an otherwise-justified self defense shooting?

Nope. Why do I need to cite a case? Iím not making a statement personally one way or the other. Iím stating what OCSD has stated as their Terms of Agreement for the CCW they issue.

Old 04-06-2018, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thatís unfortunate. Either that trainer skipped the meeting or just wasnít paying attention. It will ultimately come down on the trainer, but the CCW holder will bear the consequences as well.

Hopefully the secret shopper OCSD is sending out to the approved trainers will start to weed out the companies that arenít holding up the standards set by OCSD.

I've long thought they need to audit trainers. Some would be in a world of hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-06-2018, 8:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've long thought they need to audit trainers. Some would be in a world of hurt.

Ohhh itís coming and itís well overdue. Too many ďinstructorsĒ out there doing their students an injustice by not preparing them to go out into the world armed.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Just got my conditional approval for my 2nd renewal (3rd permit).

2/12/18 - Started online renewal process
4/10/18 - Conditional approval given (now have to complete renewal class).

Side note on good cause. My 1st permit was accepted on "Legal self defense" as my only GC. 1st renewal they wanted a simple statement of specific reasons I'm applying for CCW, but still very simple. This latest renewal I used the same GC as my last renewal, but they wanted considerably more supporting documentation for my good cause. Including personal pictures as well as newspaper articles.

I won't go into details of my GC, but just wanted to give all of you a heads up. This should not stop anyone and was still quite easy given where we were 6 years ago.

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 04-10-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2018, 2:50 PM

OCSD has not denied GCS's. If you can articulate why you need a CCW and are legal to have one they issue.

We have some 12,000 permits out and their goal is to issue another 10,000 of them over the next couple of years. They are streamlining the process and developing a standard training course for all applicants. Everything is going electronic.
Old 04-10-2018, 6:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD1978 View Post

Side note on good cause. My 1st permit was accepted on "Legal self defense" as my only GC. 1st renewal they wanted a simple statement of specific reasons I'm applying for CCW, but still very simple. This latest renewal I used the same GC as my last renewal, but they wanted considerably more supporting documentation for my good cause. Including personal pictures as well as newspaper articles.

I won't go into details of my GC, but just wanted to give all of you a heads up. This should not stop anyone and was still quite easy given where we were 6 years ago.

That's been the experience of most people this time around.

Old 04-12-2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you, 2nd renewal 3rd permit, first one was on SD as well. My online renewal was 2-28-18, but due to a glitch in the matrix much submitted info went missing, so I resubmitted missing stuff again 3-5-18. I haven't heard anything from them yet, now 4-12-18

My question to you, is when did they ask you for more information/clarification. I see it took 2 months for approval, but how long before they inquired to you? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2018, 2:46 PM

Any suggestions about how to approach the 90 day limit on a response to my application?

Per section 218.4.1
Quote:
218.4.1 APPROVAL OR DENIAL NOTIFICATION
Once the Sheriff or authorized designee has verified the successful completion of the process, a final determination will be made. The application for a license to carry a concealed weapon will either be approved or denied.
Whether an application is approved or denied during any step of the process, the applicant shall be notified in writing within 90 days of the initial application or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the California DOJ, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied (Penal Code ß 26205).
The issuance of a license by the Sheriff shall not entitle the holder to either a property or liberty interest as the issuance, amendment or revocation of such license remains exclusively within the discretion of the Sheriff as set forth herein.
I submitted the completion of my training (which was the final missing requirement) in early March.
Old 04-20-2018, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christobol View Post
Any suggestions about how to approach the 90 day limit on a response to my application?

Per section 218.4.1

I submitted the completion of my training (which was the final missing requirement) in early March.

I'd give them a call and say "what do I have do, bring a gun in there to have you get back to me"? That should work.

Or, you coud just give then a call and politely let them know it's approaching three months and you're wondering what your status is.

Last edited by Doheny; 04-20-2018 at 5:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-20-2018, 3:45 PM

I couldn't help but laugh. I was just curious if there were any recommendations. Either way I was approved shortly after my post!
Old 04-20-2018, 5:39 PM

Anyone know the turnaround time for amendments? With the submital of documents via online forms, I’m assuming it’s faster than before.
Old 04-20-2018, 5:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedsti View Post
Anyone know the turnaround time for amendments? With the submital of documents via online forms, Iím assuming itís faster than before.

Much faster. Mine was about a week, if that.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funthea View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, 2nd renewal 3rd permit, first one was on SD as well. My online renewal was 2-28-18, but due to a glitch in the matrix much submitted info went missing, so I resubmitted missing stuff again 3-5-18. I haven't heard anything from them yet, now 4-12-18

My question to you, is when did they ask you for more information/clarification. I see it took 2 months for approval, but how long before they inquired to you? Thanks.
For those interested:

Got conditional approval today (4-23-18)
I originally submitted renewal on 2-28-18 but had to resubmit certain things that disappeared, and clarify another thing all on 3-1-18 (I know I wrote 3-5-18 above, I made an error). In any event, took less than 2 months to get approved.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:56 PM

Hey all,

I’ve been meaning to get my CCW but from what I’ve been reading it doesn’t seem possible to me. I live in Irvine and don’t have a job, and am a student in my late 20s. I want to carry for personal protection (not going to work) and because if, god forbid it happens, there is any altercation and threat to my person I am pretty much at a loss as I have a medical condition that prevents me from becoming physically strong at all (not handicapped, I just can’t strength train without potential harm). Please note, this doesn’t impair my ability to fire a weapon precisely or impair my mental state in any way.

Other than those two reasons, I can’t say I really have any other reasons. I just want to feel safe at all times, and I feel having a CCW would achieve that.

Think I’m pretty much a lost cause? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedsti View Post
Anyone know the turnaround time for amendments? With the submital of documents via online forms, Iím assuming itís faster than before.
I just did one and it was 24 hours. Serious.

BTW if you are doing an add a gun, or switch a gun, or removing a gun. When you apply for your amended CCW list all firearms that will be on you CCW after the amendment is complete. (that is what I did and I clarified that I did it correctly)

If you only list the ones you are adding they have to go to another system to pull the information from your previous listed firearms, to then list them on a separate system for your new amended CCW.

Then on the special instructions give them the detail.
-adding XXXX and XXXX
-removing XXXXX

I also was told to submit for renewal 90 days out.
Old 04-24-2018, 7:12 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerx View Post
Hey all,

Iíve been meaning to get my CCW but from what Iíve been reading it doesnít seem possible to me. I live in Irvine and donít have a job, and am a student in my late 20s. I want to carry for personal protection (not going to work) and because if, god forbid it happens, there is any altercation and threat to my person I am pretty much at a loss as I have a medical condition that prevents me from becoming physically strong at all (not handicapped, I just canít strength train without potential harm). Please note, this doesnít impair my ability to fire a weapon precisely or impair my mental state in any way.

Other than those two reasons, I canít say I really have any other reasons. I just want to feel safe at all times, and I feel having a CCW would achieve that.

Think Iím pretty much a lost cause? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Your medical condition is enough good cause. Provide something from your doctor as supplemental documents and youíre set.

Old 04-24-2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Hey all,

Iíve been meaning to get my CCW but from what Iíve been reading it doesnít seem possible to me. I live in Irvine and donít have a job, and am a student in my late 20s. I want to carry for personal protection (not going to work) and because if, god forbid it happens, there is any altercation and threat to my person I am pretty much at a loss as I have a medical condition that prevents me from becoming physically strong at all (not handicapped, I just canít strength train without potential harm). Please note, this doesnít impair my ability to fire a weapon precisely or impair my mental state in any way.

Other than those two reasons, I canít say I really have any other reasons. I just want to feel safe at all times, and I feel having a CCW would achieve that.

Thanks!
Quote:
Your medical condition is enough good cause. Provide something from your doctor as supplemental documents and youíre set.

^^^ This..

All you need to do is articulate that you are more at risk than the general population. It doesn't matter what the reason is really, they just want a reason to issue. We are very lucky our IA is on the side of the 2nd A. Go though the interview and the interviewer will cover this and give you a pretty good idea if you should proceed or not. The beginning interview process is relatively inexpensive and completely painless. You will get the feeling that they really are trying to go to bat for you and will help you any way they can. They are the consummate professionals.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGoSlw View Post
^^^ This..

All you need to do is articulate that you are more at risk than the general population. It doesn't matter what the reason is really, they just want a reason to issue. We are very lucky our IA is on the side of the 2nd A. Go though the interview and the interviewer will cover this and give you a pretty good idea if you should proceed or not. The beginning interview process is relatively inexpensive and completely painless. You will get the feeling that they really are trying to go to bat for you and will help you any way they can. They are the consummate professionals.
^^This.
Just write out why you want a permit - they are issuing as long as you can articulate your reasons. Can't do that? Then no permit.
Old 04-24-2018, 1:01 PM

Hey Calgunners.
Quick question. My application was just turned in for final approval. Would it be too late to add a gun to the list? I initially added 3 but I did the qualification for 5 guns just in case. I just don't want to bother the processors too much.
Btw... the investigator said that he doesn't see anything that would disqualify me and that he would turn in the application after I took the ccw class.
Thanks!

Last edited by francisk; 04-24-2018 at 1:07 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:

To close out my update. I just picked up my renewal. Other than the extended GC it's just keeps getting easier.
Old 04-24-2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
OCSD has specifically made a statement that no modifications are allowed with the exceptions of grips and sights. They are not even allowing extended magazine releases or slide stops, unless a physical disability requires such.

I have a glock 26 with factory extended slide stop that I bought from a fellow Calgunner. Would it be fine? I think that as long as it's from factory is ok. At least that's what I hear.

Last edited by francisk; 04-24-2018 at 2:03 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 2:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisk View Post
I have a glock 26 with factory extended slide stop. As long as it's from the factory is fine. Right? At least that's what I hear.

If it came from the factory like that then you didnít make a modification right?

Old 04-24-2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
If it came from the factory like that then you didnít make a modification right?

I bought it as ppt from someone else.
Old 04-24-2018, 2:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I bought it as ppt from someone else.

Then it most likely did not come from the factory like that as was modified by the previous owner.

Old 04-24-2018, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Like others have said, your documented medical condition can supply good cause. Just be careful not to come off as being paranoid when articulating your desire to feel safe at all times.

You may want to consider, although I doubt it will be asked in your interview, if you are even allowed to have a firearm on campus or where you live. I believe that some off campus apartments are considered student housing and are no gun zones.

I know that my daughter lived on campus and for that very reason she had legitimate safety concerns. It's a "catch 22".
Old 04-24-2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Hey Calgunners.
Quick question. My application was just turned in for final approval. Would it be too late to add a gun to the list? I initially added 3 but I did the qualification for 5 guns just in case. I just don't want to bother the processors too much.
Btw... the investigator said that he doesn't see anything that would disqualify me and that he would turn in the application after I took the ccw class.
Thanks!
Unless something has changed since the new online system has gone live it should not be an issue. If all 5 firearms are on your firearm inspection/qualifying certificate you should be good to go. Under the old system that is what they went off of.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Then it most likely did not come from the factory like that as was modified by the previous owner.

I'm just going to replace it with a standard oem slide stop. Just to be on the safe side.
anyone knows if the ccw unit does a final weapon inspection? Do we have to take the guns for them to inspect it?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 PM

Ugh! Interview on 3/2/18, all supporting documents/training/livescan done by 3/7/18. My interviewer responded to my email on 3/11/18 saying he had submitted it for final approval and I should hear back in a few weeks. Here we are 6 weeks later and my online order tracker is still at “order started”. I called and they said it averages 3 months after the application submitted which is...longer than what other people have had recently. No choice but to continue to be patient and hope my application didn’t get lost in the pile. :/
Old 04-25-2018, 4:09 AM

Are things getting tougher all of a sudden? This is my second renewal and now they want contractor licenses and bank statements
Old 04-25-2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejitsu View Post
Ugh! Interview on 3/2/18, all supporting documents/training/livescan done by 3/7/18. My interviewer responded to my email on 3/11/18 saying he had submitted it for final approval and I should hear back in a few weeks. Here we are 6 weeks later and my online order tracker is still at “order started”. I called and they said it averages 3 months after the application submitted which is...longer than what other people have had recently. No choice but to continue to be patient and hope my application didn’t get lost in the pile. :/
Hahaha I’m in a similar situation. I guess we got too excited with other people’s turn around times. We just need to be patient. At least I’m sure we won’t wait a year like how it was a few years back, so we are good. I started wondering if that order tracker status bar even works. Lol It’s ok though, I’m sure that we will get that email letting us know to pick up our permit soon. ����

Last edited by Rami22; 04-25-2018 at 7:31 AM..
Old 04-25-2018, 8:45 AM

Quote:
I'm just going to replace it with a standard oem slide stop. Just to be on the safe side.
anyone knows if the ccw unit does a final weapon inspection? Do we have to take the guns for them to inspect it?
In the old days you had to go to the Sheriff Armory to have them inspected. (I admit a little intimidating the first time you go through it) That step is no longer part of the process.

They were/are inspected by your CCW instructor during your qualification .
Old 04-25-2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
Are things getting tougher all of a sudden? This is my second renewal and now they want contractor licenses and bank statements
Normal. If that is part of your GCS then you have to document it.

Quote:
Hey Calgunners.
Thanks!
Email your processor and ask them to add the firearms from your training certificate to your application - they'll include them on your permit. There is now no limit in the number of weapons on your permit - you just have to qualify with them all, and that requirement has been reduced as well.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Normal. If that is part of your GCS then you have to document it.

Email your processor and ask them to add the firearms from your training certificate to your application - they'll include them on your permit. There is now no limit in the number of weapons on your permit - you just have to qualify with them all, and that requirement has been reduced as well.
I did that this morning.
Thanks everyone!
Now it's just waiting.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2BassAce View Post
In the old days you had to go to the Sheriff Armory to have them inspected. (I admit a little intimidating the first time you go through it) That step is no longer part of the process.

They were/are inspected by your CCW instructor during your qualification .
Thank you for the info! Good to know that. I would feel a little uneasy to do that..
Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Most here are making the process sound easy now, that’s not really the case anymore ... I’m starting to think it’s not even worth renewing
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
Most here are making the process sound easy now, thatís not really the case anymore ... Iím starting to think itís not even worth renewing
What's so hard about it? The only thing different is that you need to provide proof of your GC.