Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 04-22-2018, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Shot my first “mid range” match, my impressions

Apologies to those who feel 600 is not long range, and admittedly, it was a mid range match, but it fits here i think.

Equipment: 7005r in .308, Bushnell HDMRII, Horus reitcle, nightforce 20 moa base, tps low rings. Randall smoothed the bolt, installed a brake. timney 510.

Sighted it at 100 with factory GMM 175. 5 shots about .75moa.

So naturally i Changed stocks to a grayboe ridgeback and bottom metal with mags. Used a Harris 6-9 with a podlok lever. Second hand rear bag with ears. Midway shooting mat.

I was encouraged to shoot a match even though i hadnt yet fired a single reloaded round through it, so i did. Thanks Smoothy8500.

I trekked up to Burbank Rifle and Revolver, which is in Castaic, about a 70 mile drive.

Learned to score the targets and worked the pits. Stunned that guys were routinely hitting the 3” Marker disc with successive shots.

My first time on the line, i estimated my FPS for my 42.2 of 4064 pushing 175mks, loaded to mag length, punched it into Strlok on my phone, and learned my come up should be 4.7 mrads.

47 clicks dialed in. Shot out. “First sighter is a 10.” That was pretty darned satisfying. No pressure signs of any kind even though it was pushing 90 when we finished.

The wind was vexing, but i turned in a respectable 177 2x, 177 2x, and 176 1x.

Good enough for second in whatever f class calls their newbie division.

Ok, im hooked. Like everyone, the wind have me fits, but i will work on it.

Anyone thinkig about a match, its really fun and wasnt at all snobbish or cliquish. But guys who shoot 600 using irons and a sling are unsettling.

I recorded my adjustments, and my round count, but there was no phone service so i had no clue as to atmospherics, not even temp.

Super fun. But a lomg day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-22-2018, 7:17 PM

Wish I could have made it yesterday.
Old 04-22-2018, 7:44 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Thats figgin Awesome man. told you'd have a blast. F class is a different ballgame, and yeah we've had guys that try to be cliquish, that crap don't fly on Pendleton, Funny thing is the same guys that brag about how much they spent on this or that, or what they paid a gunsmith to do for them, and brag about what they know to be correct because they are an Engineer, Opps I'm giving away to much. oh well he usually ends up plowing up the 900 yard berm with his misses dusting the poor guys in the pits with dirt. this guy shows up about four to five months out of the year and has yet to learn that money can't buy you trigger time. Sitting on the line with $10K in rifle and other crap and can't shoot better than a 170. And he's not a regular, nor is he even an expert classified competitor.

So one lesson to take away from that. Shoot, Spend your money on bullets and barrels, higher end stuff will be needed down the road but first get to the point that you can honestly blame your rifle or loads for a poor score. Then spend the money to correct that. but that will be a few years.

As for guys in slings we have a Gentleman by the name of Mark Mittry in our club, he shoot slinged up and calls us F class pukes, he routinely keeps up with or surpasses the scores of the high masters, granted his target is slightly bigger he is shooting irons at 1K. the man is a machine and knows WHTF he's doing. just amazing to watch him shoot.

SMGC finally got the lease signed so we are hoping for three matches in May to kick things back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 04-22-2018, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Question: Are brakes allowed in F Class?
Old 04-22-2018, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
The rules say they are prohibited. I asked and was told you can't win a sanctioned match using a brake, but nobody cares if you run one. Nobody seemed to notice mine.
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-23-2018, 3:34 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
99% of the time at a local match where your points don't matter, no one cares about a brake,

If you show up at a state, regional, or national match, expect to play by the rules All of them,

This also applies to local CMP EIC leg matches where your points go toward your distinguished badge. you must play by the rules.

But for a local F class match where the only thing on the line is your pride. sure they don't really care, guys running brakes rarely score better than expert.

There are other ways to mitigate recoil. Mercury recoil suppressors work wonders. and with a sleeve can be fit to an offset light mount for a Pic rail.

here's a 5" suppressor 7/8" diameter with a sleeve in a cheep 1" offset mount on my rifle. cost is about $70 with the mount. I did this because there was no place to install the suppressor in the stock

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:51 AM

I think a lot of people get apprehensive about the mid-range "match" part of the title, thinking it is all about competition. In reality, it can be viewed as more of a structured practice session where they keep track of your shots. It's only as competitive as you make it.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
The rules say they are prohibited...
I'm thinking it's a rule that needs to be changed. Everybody has a brake nowadays.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking it's a rule that needs to be changed. Everybody has a brake nowadays.
Not if you are squadded next to one and keep blowing dust into your eyes.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Next they'll want to allow brakes in "Across The Course" too...
Old 04-23-2018, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is kind of strange that f class permits mechanical rests, with adjustments, but doesn't permit a brake. I don't know enough about it, but my guess is for me, a finely adjustable front rest would do more for my scores than a brake.

I shoot off a bipod but in a different division than the rest guys.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well if you knew what you were allowed to shoot you wouldn’t say that.

F class T/R is limited to an 18 pound rifle I think it’s actually 18.8. F class open is limited to 22 pounds. There is no need for a brake on a rifle that weighs 15-18 pounds as that is the average F class T/R gun. T/R guns are bipod supported and limited on caliber to .223 and .308, the bipod is part of the rifles weight. Open guns can be supported on machine rest so long as the rear support is independent of the front. The rest is NOT part of the rifles weight. So you can get away with a very heavy gun on a very rigid rest and recoil is minimal.

Now until they come up with a way to mitigate the blast and debris, I don’t want to shoot next to someone with a brake. What you should be asking for or demanding of our state government is the exemption of suppressors. Once you shoot a rifle with a good can there is nothing a brake will do that can compete.

Quote:

Last edited by kcstott; 04-23-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-23-2018, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
...Now until they come up with a way to mitigate the blast and debris...
A line of M14s puts a lot of crap in the air during the rapid fire stage but we manage to shoot through it.
Old 04-23-2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Apologies to those who feel 600 is not long range, and admittedly, it was a mid range match, but it fits here i think.

Equipment: 7005r in .308, Bushnell HDMRII, Horus reitcle, nightforce 20 moa base, tps low rings. Randall smoothed the bolt, installed a brake. timney 510.

Sighted it at 100 with factory GMM 175. 5 shots about .75moa.

So naturally i Changed stocks to a grayboe ridgeback and bottom metal with mags. Used a Harris 6-9 with a podlok lever. Second hand rear bag with ears. Midway shooting mat.

I was encouraged to shoot a match even though i hadnt yet fired a single reloaded round through it, so i did. Thanks Smoothy8500.

I trekked up to Burbank Rifle and Revolver, which is in Castaic, about a 70 mile drive.

Learned to score the targets and worked the pits. Stunned that guys were routinely hitting the 3” Marker disc with successive shots.

My first time on the line, i estimated my FPS for my 42.2 of 4064 pushing 175mks, loaded to mag length, punched it into Strlok on my phone, and learned my come up should be 4.7 mrads.

47 clicks dialed in. Shot out. “First sighter is a 10.” That was pretty darned satisfying. No pressure signs of any kind even though it was pushing 90 when we finished.

The wind was vexing, but i turned in a respectable 177 2x, 177 2x, and 176 1x.

Good enough for second in whatever f class calls their newbie division.

Ok, im hooked. Like everyone, the wind have me fits, but i will work on it.

Anyone thinkig about a match, its really fun and wasnt at all snobbish or cliquish. But guys who shoot 600 using irons and a sling are unsettling.

I recorded my adjustments, and my round count, but there was no phone service so i had no clue as to atmospherics, not even temp.

Super fun. But a lomg day.
Never done mid/long range, but there has to be some sweet satisfaction hitting distant target. Glad you had a good time

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 04-23-2018, 4:39 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
don't know enough about it, but my guess is for me, a finely adjustable front rest would do more for my scores than a brake.

I shoot off a bipod but in a different division than the rest guys.
Good shooting, try one of these instead of your Harris.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod44699.aspx

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 04-24-2018, 8:21 AM

Quote:
There's no reason to need a brake in F Class. You don't need to see your shot in the scope. The guns are heavy and have very little recoil. It's all slow fire. And any cartridge that has too much recoil in a 22 lb rifle either burns out barrels too fast or won't agg over 22+ shots in a round. The only reason you would need one is if your not man enough to shoot your own rifle.
Old 04-24-2018, 8:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpr View Post
There's no reason to need a brake in F Class. You don't need to see your shot in the scope. The guns are heavy and have very little recoil. It's all slow fire. And any cartridge that has too much recoil in a 22 lb rifle either burns out barrels too fast or won't agg over 22+ shots in a round. The only reason you would need one is if your not man enough to shoot your own rifle.
Awesome. A cyber dick measuring contest. Thanks for the informed opinion.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-24-2018, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Awesome. A cyber dick measuring contest. Thanks for the informed opinion.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:21 AM

I have a brake on my gun, and when I shoot with the F-class guys at SacValley, I just scoot over a few lanes so I'm not blasting them with my brake. I let them know at sign in that I have a brake, and they squad me at the end of the line. Just be respectful about the brake and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpr View Post
Mostly kidding. For me, i set up a rifle that was not bought for f class. I wanted to try precision rifle. It weighs nothing like 19 lbs. its a stock mid heavy barrel production rifle.

I then heard i should try f class. My brake doesnt kick up anything.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTodd View Post
I have a brake on my gun, and when I shoot with the F-class guys at SacValley, I just scoot over a few lanes so I'm not blasting them with my brake. I let them know at sign in that I have a brake, and they squad me at the end of the line. Just be respectful about the brake and you shouldn't have a problem.
SMGC does the same thing, brakes go to the north side of the line on 117 and to the east at 103 those are typically the leeward side of the line

Quote: