Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Housewife - problems with proof of residency

Hi ladies-

My dealer won't let me purchase a handgun because I can not provide proof of residency. I figured that I would ask here how everyone fixed this problem.

The house is in my husband's name, all bills are in his name, the cars are registered to his business.... all things that I would need to provide proof of residency.

The dealer won't sell to me without one of those items that has my name plus our address. I thought about writing up a lease agreement from him to me, but is that legal?

Help!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Your name is not on the deed to your house? Ye gods, lady, you are in trouble!

Make your husband put your name, jointly with him, on all your property, cars, bills, all of it, bank statements etc. For your own protection, do it now. If he won't co-operate, consider your situation very carefully, and think about why he won't.

You don't say why your name is not on your house or bills, but it should be a simple matter to call up the phone company or PG&E and ask to be added.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Your name is not on the deed to your house? Ye gods, lady, you are in trouble!

Make your husband put your name, jointly with him, on all your property, cars, bills, all of it, bank statements etc. For your own protection, do it now. If he won't co-operate, consider your situation very carefully, and think about why he won't.

You don't say why your name is not on your house or bills, but it should be a simple matter to call up the phone company or PG&E and ask to be added.
That is probably why she needs the handgun...so she can "make" him do those things.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM

What address do you have on your drivers license?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM

ROFLMAO!!! I am a kept woman. LOL!

Actually, we have a pre-nup, so everything stays in his name. He came into the marriage with everything, I came in with nothing except a whole lot of debt. (He's a lot older and was married before)

I'm sure it is easy enough to change it to my name on one of the bills, but should I have to do that? I'm sure there are other housewives out there with the same problem. A lease agreement is easy enough to type up and have him sign, but it is legal between a husband and wife?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Brien, I have our home address on the drivers license.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Legal? You're just trying to satisfy your dealer to prove you are a lawful resident . If you're telling the truth it should be fine. Shred it after if you want.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Not sure what you mean by "should I have to do that"...the current law requires this second address verification for a handgun purchase. So you have to get one of the approved versions of that document or no handgun.

Just have PG&E add your name to the account...simplest and fastest solution.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebunny View Post
ROFLMAO!!! I am a kept woman. LOL!

Actually, we have a pre-nup, so everything stays in his name. He came into the marriage with everything, I came in with nothing except a whole lot of debt. (He's a lot older and was married before)

I'm sure it is easy enough to change it to my name on one of the bills, but should I have to do that? I'm sure there are other housewives out there with the same problem. A lease agreement is easy enough to type up and have him sign, but it is legal between a husband and wife?
I don't think I would sign a lease agreement with him unless you intend to pay him for leasing space in his house. The law of unintended consequences dictates that this will come back to bite you in the backside should the relationship sour.

Last edited by DVSmith; 01-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM

^ Artema, THANK YOU! I appreciate the advice!! <3
Old 01-15-2013, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
You do realize that in the case of his death you could be forced out of your house by his legal heirs, lose the business, cars, etc. Instant homelessness unless he provides for you in his will.
Sloooow down. You are jumping to a lot of conclusions without knowing anything about her pre-nup contract details, nor Estate documents like any Trusts or Wills. Jeez!!!

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-15-2013, 1:12 PM

Would a passport work? Or a passport ID from the post office work? I would just have him toss you on the electric bill or something.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Sloooow down. You are jumping to a lot of conclusions without knowing anything about her pre-nup contract details, nor Estate documents like any Trusts or Wills. Jeez!!!
^^^^This.

Far to little info to jump to these conclusions.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21fan View Post
Would a passport work? Or a passport ID from the post office work? I would just have him toss you on the electric bill or something.
Passports do not have your address on them...so they do not work well as a 2nd form of address verification.

Old 01-15-2013, 1:18 PM

Oops. Can you tell I don't have a passport
Old 01-15-2013, 1:21 PM

I don't want to change the subject. Odysseus is right. My personal situation and that of our children is handled legally.

I just need to know how to prove residency. I can't possibly be the only one with this issue, and California doesn't think about us dangerous housewives with traditional marriages.

The dealer wouldn't accept my passport, or the DMV printout showing that my address hasn't changed in 11 years. They wouldn't even accept bank statements that come in my name.

LADWP tells me that they can't just add me, they have to close and reopen the account with the name addition (which is an added fee for "new" service).
Old 01-15-2013, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I added my wife to the electric bill online, then I get the next bill in the mail, and there she is with proper ID.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

LADWP tells me that they can't just add me, they have to close and reopen the account with the name addition (which is an added fee for "new" service).
Just make your Hubby pay for that...
Old 01-15-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
What address do you have on your drivers license?
Quote:
Brien, I have our home address on the drivers license.
I believe you need DL +1, like utility bill or auto registration.

Maybe buy a cheap motorcycle (takes less space than a 4 wheel clunker) just for the registration.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:47 PM

Go get a fishing license. State issued and has your address on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
This is why I love online forums.
I would never think of this. Simple, easy, quick and cheap
Old 01-15-2013, 2:00 PM

Call the FFL first, however. I heard that a few places may not take it but it's all I've ever used. House owned by Trust. Bills all go to Trust. Cars owned by company. I have nothing else in my name.
Old 01-15-2013, 2:08 PM

I have used drivers license, I am on PG&E bill, simple fix by your intended. You can ask about auto insurance bill, that might work, but most of the time they want a government agency bill like SMUD or PG&E or water and sewer. Unfortunately and ridiculous, I might add, you cannot use a passport. I took in a car registration once for my husbands truck, not realizing my name wasn't on it and used it. They never checked for my name. They made a copy and kept going. Got lucky on that one.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 01-15-2013, 2:23 PM

Can't you apply for a California ID and you already have your drivers license I'm assuming in Cali. That's 2 forms of ID with matching addresses.

Wouldn't that suffice?
Old 01-15-2013, 2:33 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

[QUOTE=icebunny;10218390]I........ I can't possibly be the only one with this issue, and California doesn't think about us dangerous housewives with traditional marriages. ................QUOTE]

can't he buy it and then sign the paperwork which transfers it to you?

go get a fishing license!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-15-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Some FFLs will accept them and some will not. All my mail goes to my PO box, so I've dealt with similar issues. Ended up changing the registration on one of my vehicles to my home address.
Old 01-15-2013, 3:11 PM

Fishing license!!! BRILLIANT!!! And that's why I love online forums!! THANK YOU!
Old 01-15-2013, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

What about your cell phone contract? Is that in your husband's name too?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 01-15-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Start a new account with the cable company in your name and get a 'new customer' package for some serious savings as a bonus!

WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-15-2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
What about your cell phone contract?
Unlike a land line phone, it is not tied to a physical location so it does not work.
Old 01-15-2013, 7:03 PM

Get a cable bill under your name or phone line or even fill out a Lease form most FFL's have a lease form where you can fill it out if you are subleasing or paying rent.
Old 01-15-2013, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

"Cable Bills" do not meet the requirements as a 2nd form of address verification...

Sorry...
Old 01-15-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"Cable Bills" do not meet the requirements as a 2nd form of address verification...

Sorry...
um, incorrect.

for CA's requirement of Proof of Residency, a cable bill IS acceptable.

Quote:
11 CCR § 4045

§ 4045. Definitions and Requirements.

The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:

a.1. “Utility bill” means a statement of charges for providing direct service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection), or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

2. The utility bill statement date must be within three months of the current date.

3. The utility bill must bear on its face the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.

B. The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
CGSSA Leader

I just ran into this exact same situation last week. We moved to CA a year and a half ago and are living in a tiny cabin that has been in my husband's family since the late 30's. I have absolutely nothing in my name with our "physical" home address. My driver's license, car registration, any mail I receive is all in our "mailing" address. My husband is a Fed LEO and we don't put anything in our physical home address. What we did though is we went to PG&E and had them put that in my name. However, that was not good enough for our FFL. I then went to the DMV for 2 hours and finally got a voter's registration printout with my name and my "confidential" address. This worked. It was a tough 2 days bc we thought the electric bill would work, but it didn't. It really depends on the FFL. Mine is very thorough and I didn't mind doing the extra work. PG&E is a private company therefore not a government printout.

Good luck! It will work out!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM

None of my business, but after having been married to a man that cleared me out when he left, thats probably why he made you sign a prenup keeping you off his assets. Hes afraid youll rob him blind. I also think its BS and wouldnt sign prenups that could leave me cold either. Ew.

But yeah get put on a utility if you can imo. Im curious how one even establishes residence without stuff in their name o.o
Old 01-16-2013, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poms&Guns View Post
PG&E is a private company therefore not a government printout.

Good luck! It will work out!
So are cable, phone and water companies. Your FFL was being a jerk.
Old 01-16-2013, 6:50 AM

Quote:
So are cable, phone and water companies. Your FFL was being a jerk.
umm, wrong.

in this situation, Poms&Guns' DL did not have her physical address on it. ATF requires you to have a .gov issued document with your physical address. usually your DL will suffice, but if you DL has your mailing address then you need some other .gov document with your physical address on it. A cable or phone bill won't work, but the water or power company will work if it is a .gov-owned company. many water companies are run by your local municipality and so are some power companies, so in that case, a bill from them will satisfy federal PoI regs, and will cover CA's PoR regs as well.

that is federal law dealing with PoI, completely separate from CA PoR regs.

but in the OP's situation, she has a DL with her physical address on ti, so federal PoI is covered, she just has to deal with CA's PoR requirements.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-16-2013, 6:56 AM
CGSSA Leader

I think the problem was more with the fact that the PG&E bill was the ONLY thing with my name and residential home address. I guess he felt he also needed some government type printout with it as well. Who knows? He is a reputable FFL. But I jumped through hoops to get something. At least it's now taken care of and hopefully I will have gun in hand when they open back up on the 26th. I am definitely an impatient little girl...LOL. I have lived in KY, TX, and SD, and it is nothing to get a gun there compared to here in CA!!

Quick question...I am the new CA State Coordinator for Second Amendment Sisters and being fairly new to the area, I am wondering what the best way is to disseminate information about our organization, scheduled Ladies Shoots, etc? I have definitely gotten some wide open stares when I wear my SAS shirts around the Santa Cruz area...haha...and have many brochures to hand out to local people/businesses, but wasn't sure if there was a better way to get the info out to a bigger area. Of course, when my magnetic car signs arrive, that is sure to gain a bit of attention around here! Thanks for any help!! :-)

Thanks for clearing that up Jack!! That is what I figured. The main thing is that it WILL work out.
Old 01-16-2013, 7:03 AM
Calguns Addict

What about a credit card bill?
Old 01-16-2013, 7:11 AM
CGSSA Leader

Ice Bunny...Can you get a printout of your voter's registration? That is what I ultimately got. The DMV printout should have worked bc according to my FFL, you just need a government printout showing your residential address matching what your driver's license and DROS says. Let us know how things work out. :-)