Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-21-2020, 10:34 PM

Default Pack of Wild Boars Sighting in hills above Metcalf Shooting Range (San Jose)

Was supposed to go pheasant hunting today, but that got pushed back a week so instead ...

... this morning maybe around 10:45am or so I happened to see a pack of wild boars up in the hills behind the Metcalf Shooting Range. For those familiar with the area, I was at the 200 yard range on the north end of Metcalf and while waiting to get on the firing line I was glassing the hills above and behind the range with some crappy $20 binoculars (there are often cows grazing in that area and it can be interesting to see what is roaming around up there).

On the last set of hills immediately below the ridgeline and just to the north of the 200 yard range (and just south of a fire road that I later saw mountain bikers on) I saw a group of rapidly moving dark silhoutes traversing across the slope. I couldn't see too closely with these binoculars (12x25 DCF, 96M/1000M) but I had a sideview of the pack as they ran and I could definitely make out the 'hunchback' of a feral swine on a few of the bigger ones.

It was maybe a group of 6 to 9 animals moving basically in a single file across open grass toward an area of thicker shrubs. There was a bunch of larger ones plus a bunch of smaller ones that were maybe half the size or less of the largest one in the group. From what I could tell the smallest ones seemed to stay directly behind the big lead animals, while some of the other big animals were a little bit uphill & downhill of the 'main line' so to speak.

Aside from how big they appeared from that distance, I was most impressed by how fast they were moving ... these things were really hauling @$$ and I remember thinking there would be no way in hell you could outrun them if you had to. I don't think I had more than 5 seconds total to observe them before they all disappeared over the hill they were traversing across. Even though I 'know' they can run fast, their speed was still very impressive to observe first hand.

No doubt that area (and everything nearby in the bay area) is off limits to hunting, but I do hope to make it out for a pig hunt at some point so this was still a pretty informative experience. I thought I'd post this here anyways for whatever its worth ... again I was most surprised at how fast they moved and at the relative size of the larger ones ... impressive buggers I have to say.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

yep, happens often. We've had turkey fly down to the range and hang out 50 yards from the 100y benches, we're all behind the line making jokes to the RO's about 'taking care' of the problem .

They are all on the move, not just pigs. They were pushed off normal lands due to the two complex fires in the area, and are starting to move back. Good time to catch them. In the SCC suburban sense area, visually only.
Old 11-22-2020, 5:53 PM

First time I've seen swine ... turkeys are a dime a dozen down there, for sure ... lol, the RO's should let us make an example out of a few of them, it would send the others packing.

Interesting about the complex fires pushing animals around ... makes me want to get out and go hiking with some binoculars to start learning how to track and find these things.
Old 11-22-2020, 7:32 PM

They are all over this area. They rip front yards in the neighborhood.
$1000s of damage every week.
It is a disaster there in the Monterey HWay area south of Bernal road alongside Coyote Creek...

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 11-22-2020 at 7:34 PM..
Old 11-22-2020, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Metcalf Shooting Range: Go for the practice - stay for the BBQ!
Old 11-22-2020, 7:50 PM

Every time I go out to coyote Clays it's spot the game animal time. This last time it was turkeys, before that quail, and almost always deer. I think they do it to mock us, knowing we can't do anything about it.
Old 11-28-2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
Every time I go out to coyote Clays it's spot the game animal time. This last time it was turkeys, before that quail, and almost always deer. I think they do it to mock us, knowing we can't do anything about it.
Yup, that green water trough for cattle seems to attract deer from the hills above. Especially toward the end of the day. Last week I saw a nice buck taking his time crossing the road and just hoping over the barbed wire fence as if it was nothing. Yesterday there was a small herd, but nothing with antlers.
Old 11-29-2020, 6:34 AM

Feral hogs are all over CA.