Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-06-2013, 7:40 PM

Default Which range to join in the east bay

Live in Oakland and want to join a range. Been to Chabot and Richmond and I like Chabot better so far. Still need to check out Concord. From a distance stand point Chabot is closest but I don;t like the fact that they are open only just Mon, Fri sat and Sunday. How buys does that range get on weekends ? Can anyone chime in on Concord. I'd be shooting Shotgun, rifle and pistol.

"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals." -Jeff Snyder

"I will be spending the weekend studying...oh, and paying my taxes so they can continue to keep us safe from zombies, ghosts and goblins."

Ollshooter32
[/I]
Old 01-06-2013, 8:12 PM

Concord gets busy on the weekends
Old 01-07-2013, 6:08 AM

Screw Chabot!

I don't know you so I don't know if I want to recommend anyone to the "cool" ranges. My only advice is to check all of them out for yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootcamp View Post
Screw Chabot!

I don't know you so I don't know if I want to recommend anyone to the "cool" ranges. My only advice is to check all of them out for yourself.
Just curious, what is it that you don't like about Chabot?
Old 01-07-2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootcamp View Post
Screw Chabot!

I gather you're not a fun of Chabot...

"I will be spending the weekend studying...oh, and paying my taxes so they can continue to keep us safe from zombies, ghosts and goblins."

Ollshooter32
[/I]
Old 01-07-2013, 7:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Livermore has one of the best trap fields in Northern California. Coyote Valley Sporting Clays has one of the best sporting clays ranges in the area. Richmond has one of the most active action pistol programs in Northern California. USI has a wide variety of activities.

We might be able to help more if you are more specific. For example, what kind of shotgun shooting to you do? Tactical? Trap? Skeet? Sporting Clays? What kind of pistol? Plinking? Bullseye? USPSA? IDPA?
Old 01-07-2013, 8:30 AM

Have you checked out the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol range? Should be pretty close to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:59 AM

I've only shot twice at the United Sportsmen range in Concord. Once with my son with his Sig 522 on the 25 yard range and another time with my Sig 516 on the 50/100 yard range. I very much enjoyed it there. The nice thing about the rifle range is you don't have to move from one stall to another to go from 50 yards to 100 yards. I haven't tried out the pistol range, but it pretty much looks like any other. As for the shotgun fields ... I haven't seen them.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Chabot is like many gun clubs. The leadership of the club is pretty strong and offends many in the way they run the club. It is a very nice setting since it is located within a park.

Some years ago, there was a large fracture between the shotgun folks and the rifle/pistol folks. As a result they lost a great deal of their memberships and destroyed their shotgun side of the club. Rather than recognize the tragedy of the situation, the leadership bragged about being victorious. That is when I ended my membership.

Their RSOs can be overbearing and they like to use the PA system to yell at folks on the line. It just doesn't set up a very nice customer environment.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Livermore has one of the best trap fields in Northern California. Coyote Valley Sporting Clays has one of the best sporting clays ranges in the area. Richmond has one of the most active action pistol programs in Northern California. USI has a wide variety of activities.

We might be able to help more if you are more specific. For example, what kind of shotgun shooting to you do? Tactical? Trap? Skeet? Sporting Clays? What kind of pistol? Plinking? Bullseye? USPSA? IDPA?
Thanks all for your input. Just plinking for now but would like to get more into Bullseye and IDPA. Want to start with some tactical and some spprting clays down the line.

Ollshooter32
[/I]
Old 01-07-2013, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biogenic View Post
Thanks all for your input. Just plinking for now but would like to get more into Bullseye and IDPA. Want to start with some tactical and some spprting clays down the line.
Livermore has a great little range for plinking but they have zero going on as far as activities at their pistol/rifle range. IDPA shooting is done at USI/Diablo Action pistol and Richmond I believe. As far as sporting clays, Coyote Valley Sporting clays is pretty nice. Birds Landing Hunting Preserve and Sporting Clays also has a nice sporting clays course.

Tactical shotgun is always tricky. For example, at Livermore you can shoot birdshot on the trap range but not the rifle range. They allow slugs on the 50 yard line on the rifle/pistol range but nothing closer. Buck shot can not be used. So you just need to check around and see which fit your needs. Richmond does run three gun matches so maybe you can practice tactical shotgun there.