Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 AM

Default Retired LEO's and registered AW's

It may have been covered previously, so please forgive me for asking if so. Anyone have any insight or knowledge of the pending or recently passed bills regarding retired or separated LEO's and their personal lawfully purchased and registered AW's? I know there was an official opinion and there were some POA's fighting it. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2013, 7:29 PM

http://michellawyers.com/police-law-...on-possession/
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 07-27-2013, 8:18 PM

The current CA law is unclear. When Brown was AG, he issued an opinion saying retired cops must surrender their AW.
AB2549 sought to change the law to allow them to keep their AWs...but it failed.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 07-27-2013, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
The current CA law is unclear. When Brown was AG, he issued an opinion saying retired cops must surrender their AW.
AB2549 sought to change the law to allow them to keep their AWs...but it failed.
^This. AFAIK there is no process in the current law that allows the state to revoke the lawful registration of these weapons.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 07-27-2013, 8:49 PM

thnx for the feedback guys. i had reviewed that site a little calcop. crazy to think agencies are issuing letters to their retirees advising them to surrender their purchased weapons based on an opinion. as long as there is no "official" law, i think we are C4
Old 07-27-2013, 9:14 PM

Agreed
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 07-27-2013, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
^This. AFAIK there is no process in the current law that allows the state to revoke the lawful registration of these weapons.
I think that Trickster is pretty much on point with this.

The DOJ opinion was very badly written. It does conclude that an officer must surrender the AW upon retirement, but provides no basis to file charges against an officer who refuses to do so.

The AW remains registered to the officer following retirement. That precludes any basis to charge the officer for possession of an unregistered AW.

The only real advantage in the AG's Opinion to gun control advocates is that it could provide support for legislation that would allow for revocation of registration upon retirement. That hasn't happened yet, and would likely invite legal action as a government "taking." The prevention of such legal action is the main reason we now have registered AWs.

It's a "cluster" and will likely need a test case to sort out.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM

best part is, they are drawing a line in the sand with emphasis on retired LEO's and maintaining possession of RAWs, but i havent heard much of private citizens and their continued possession of their pre ban registered AW's
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry"
Thomas Jefferson

sorry for being off topic

Last edited by MixedMotives; 07-27-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbm4 View Post
best part is, they are drawing a line in the sand with emphasis on retired LEO's and maintaining possession of RAWs, but i havent heard much of private citizens and their continued possession of their pre ban registered AW's
Sir,

There's a big difference between the two. Private citizens have been unable to register any AWs since the ban, effectively limiting the number in existence.

LEOs are able to currently purchase AWs, with authorization from their agencies, and are then able to register them. They're the only folks that can effectively acquire newly purchased AWs in the state.

The DOJ opinion only applies to those newly (with department authorization) acquired AWs. LEOs that registered their AWs prior to the ban are not affected.

I doubt (although I could easily be wrong) that you will not see a similar effort to require pre-ban registered AWs to be surrendered. The expense (financial as well as in political capital) of the "taking" litigation would be prohibitive. That's why we have registered AWs in the first place.

The post-ban acquisitions by LEOs are a little different. They supposedly were put on notice that AWs were a strictly controlled item. Their purchase with the agency approval would suggest that their purchase was to support official duties that they no longer perform following retirement. Both points weaken the strength of any potential "takings" claim.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Except that there was no requirement or mention in the code that the weapons be used for law enforcement purposes..."authorized by the deparment to receive the weapon" as I recall. It would be cool to see a Thompson or a FAL used on a felony stop though!
Old 07-28-2013, 2:29 AM

Smile But I was the law once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry"
Thomas Jefferson

sorry for being off topic
Translation: What? Just be cause you were once LEO, you think you're entitled to hold on to your toy? Oh, Joe Citizen, do you know how silly you sound right about now?
Old 07-28-2013, 5:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It seems like a bad deal, considering firearms purchased by officers with their own funds and registered to them individually rather than to their department are their personal property.

If the requirement is "for duty use", then why wouldn't the opinion also apply to off-roster handguns purchased for duty use? If the officer can keep his handgun at retirement, why not the AW?

Don't get me wrong, I believe the handgun roster and AW registration are unconstitutional and should be repealed. Both are clearly intended to vilify and criminalize firearm ownership by citizens of this state.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbie View Post
Translation: What? Just be cause you were once LEO, you think you're entitled to hold on to your toy? Oh, Joe Citizen, do you know how silly you sound right about now?
oh forst,
did you get lost ? it means the cops, retired cops, government shouldn't have what the people cant have .. was that clear enuffff
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
The post-ban acquisitions by LEOs are a little different. They supposedly were put on notice that AWs were a strictly controlled item. Their purchase with the agency approval would suggest that their purchase was to support official duties that they no longer perform following retirement. Both points weaken the strength of any potential "takings" claim.
Depending on when the rifle was purchased and what features it has. After much reading and questioning and lawyer consultations during the Clinton AW ban, CA DOJ told us a rifle with only two (mag and pistol grip) of the five evil features was not an AW per Federal Laws, and we could keep them after retirement. But, even the Shadow doesn't know what evil lurks in the hearts of lawmakers or sausage manufacturers.....

If I still live here after retirement, and they have taken my Bushy, then I will be forced to protect my family from home invasions & violent felons with a CA State approved 870.....

Of course, lots of tests have demonstrated that 223 rounds are much more likely to stop violent felons with only one shot - which also stays inside the violent felon's body - vs many other rounds.......

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 07-29-2013 at 10:08 AM..