Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 08-29-2017, 9:09 PM
Banned

Default are the old ways the best? flaked obsidian world's sharpest edge

http://www.stoneknapping.com/bladesa.html

anyone played with this stuff? I hear its got some use in sci and med.

As a kid they told me it was so sharp a tiny cut would keep bleeding and if you went to sleep with it bleeding you'd never wake up, they'd find you in a pool of blood.
Old 08-29-2017, 9:13 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There's a reason ceramic blades are starting to become more popular for blades that do not require flexibility or shear strength.

They do indeed hold a very sharp edge, just like window glass.

The myth about bleeding to death from a tiny cut is just that... a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-30-2017, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Certain blood disorders can allow a small cut to bleed out

Obsidian edges can get microscopically thin. More so than any steel blade. They make very clean, precise cuts. There is zero flexibility with glass.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcliffe View Post
Obsidian edges can get microscopically thin. More so than any steel blade. They make very clean, precise cuts. There is zero flexibility with glass.

yeah, but since we are talking micro, etc, I feel I must point out that glass is really just a very, very thick LIQUID.

That is why old stained glass in churches in Europe can be seen to be sagging thin at top and thicker at the bottom.

Knew a guy who was all into engineering diff weird ways to use pure glass, mostly structurally, including hybrid fiberglass/solid glass. He said glass has "properties and characteristics as a material but no defects" whatever the hell that means. I think it means glass doesn't rust or rot, and can be welded, molded, and even spun into fiber and its all the same stuff.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

"It has properties and characteristics as a material but no defects."

That's a good one.

Now we know what to say when the girlfriends ask us "Does this make me look fat?"

The thing with obsidian glass is even if it is the sharpest tool in the shed it's not practical for most uses because of its delicacy / brittleness.

And if some people have trouble sharpening traditional knives now ...

Can you imagine them trying to "re-nap" an obsidian blade edge?
Old 08-30-2017, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

See also prior threads -

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=glass

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=glass

And, https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2809 "Using 20-million-year-old amber to test the super-Arrhenius behaviour of glass-forming systems" from http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-glass-is-...oyed-496190894
Quote:
Some people claim that stained glass windows in old churches are thicker at the bottom than at the top because glass flows slowly like a liquid. We’ve known this isn’t true for quite some time now; these windows are thicker at the bottom owing to the production process. Back during medieval times, a lump of molten glass was rolled, expanded, and flattened before being spun into a disc and cut into panes. These sheets were thicker around the edges and installed such that the heavier side was at the bottom.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-11-2017, 5:12 PM

When I was young you could still find obsidian on Mt. Diablo. Some of the pieces had been chipped and were so sharp it was scary. We were always very cautious when we found some. I would love to have a hunk of it now and try to knap it.

Last edited by gorn5150; 10-11-2017 at 5:18 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 11:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wife and I took a trip down 395 some time back. I cannot remember the location beyond south of Mono, but there is a mountain made of obsidian. Dear wife wanted to climb it but fortunately, I talked her out of it by pointing out that her shoe had gotten cut just walking around that hill.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Hiraeth Quest
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
When I was young you could still find obsidian on Mt. Diablo. Some of the pieces had been chipped and were so sharp it was scary. We were always very cautious when we found some. I would love to have a hunk of it now and try to knap it.
Bingo. Also as a kid we would find obsidian on MD. I tried when I was 8-9 to make an arrowhead, chipping away like the illustrations in a library book.
Man I cut my hand bad. This stuff was like a scalpel.
-g
Old 10-13-2017, 1:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFCON ZERO View Post
http://www.stoneknapping.com/bladesa.html

anyone played with this stuff? I hear its got some use in sci and med.

As a kid they told me it was so sharp a tiny cut would keep bleeding and if you went to sleep with it bleeding you'd never wake up, they'd find you in a pool of blood.

Itís working for John Snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

The cliffs at Ano Nuevo beach in San Mateo county are studded with flint nodules. These 6-8 inch round rocks can be flaked quite well.
Old 10-13-2017, 8:01 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Wife and I took a trip down 395 some time back. I cannot remember the location beyond south of Mono, but there is a mountain made of obsidian. Dear wife wanted to climb it but fortunately, I talked her out of it by pointing out that her shoe had gotten cut just walking around that hill.
Obsidian Dome.

We were off-roading in the area outside of the parks (not far from a quarry) and found some deposits... Dad hauled out a nice 75lb boulder for one of our planters.

Down here, Obsidian Butte on the south end of Salton Sea is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-17-2017, 4:55 PM

I have a whole bunch of obsidian I found while on hunting trips. Very cool stuff Going to make broadheads for my recurve bows. I'll probably ruin most of it in the works.
Old 10-19-2017, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

According to Kincaid they are.