Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Kid Stanislaus Kid Stanislaus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 4,421
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default H&K .308 semi-auto

Well, I looked around and tried to find the search function for this forum but to no avail. SO! I'm trying to dig up some user experience for the H&K .308 semi-auto rifle. If anybody here has experience with this item please jump in and post your 2cents worth as to why I should or should not get one.
__________________
Things usually turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
badicedog's Avatar
badicedog badicedog is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Alamitos
Posts: 2,961
iTrader: 67 / 99%
Default

there are only a few HK 7.62 x 51 rifles that you will be able to get here in Kommiefornia one is the HK911 (variant of HK91), Hk41 and I can't remember the others. All of them are over 3k! They're all tough as nails and accurate. Very heavy and all resemble the HK91 which is a listed Assault Weapon here, expect lots of looks and questions. One of the reasons I sold mine. Just my 2 cents worth.
__________________
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty;now we bleat like sheep for security."

~ Norman Vincent Peale
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Kid Stanislaus Kid Stanislaus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 4,421
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I am concerned about the weight.
__________________
Things usually turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
email email is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Check out the PTR-91. I think that may be what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 PM
badicedog's Avatar
badicedog badicedog is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Alamitos
Posts: 2,961
iTrader: 67 / 99%
Default

For the price you are going to pay(3k-5K), I would go with a LMT, LaRue or LWRC reaper...
__________________
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty;now we bleat like sheep for security."

~ Norman Vincent Peale
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM
badicedog's Avatar
badicedog badicedog is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Alamitos
Posts: 2,961
iTrader: 67 / 99%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by email View Post
Check out the PTR-91. I think that may be what you're looking for.
A PTR is in no way even close to an authentic German HK rifle...
__________________
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty;now we bleat like sheep for security."

~ Norman Vincent Peale
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 AM
email email is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

I know...it's so much better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Saigon1965's Avatar
Saigon1965 Saigon1965 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hayward
Posts: 17,022
iTrader: 125 / 100%
Default

SR-9 series are ok in CA as well -

They're full size battle rifles - Close to 10 lbs - The wood will add a bit more -
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 26,764
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

PTR91s do not have chrome-lined barrels.

HK91s and similar variants (prob not the PTR91, dunno) have fluted chambering to aid in extraction.
This generally ruins brass and makes it very very difficult to reload (esp in sizing the brass).

Kid, I'd look at an AR10 variant. Runs great, top-notch accuracy even with base model.
__________________

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Sicarius's Avatar
Sicarius Sicarius is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,214
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Springfield SAR8 with a stamped receiver is a direct copy of the HK 91 using HK tooling. Only the stamped receiver, not the cast AL one.
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2011, 4:29 PM
car15 car15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 277
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?optio...ifles&Itemid=5

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?optio...ifles&Itemid=5

If you don't mind wood and ten rounds, these are excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2011, 5:51 PM
Latigo's Avatar
Latigo Latigo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lost Prairie Montana
Posts: 1,823
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

At the expense of getting roundly thumped, the H&K G3 (91 semi) is considered by the German Army to be a throw away rifle. After the expected barrel life of 9,000 to 11,000 rounds they were destroyed and a new rifle issued. If you have one long enough and have fired it often enough you'll find it begins to loosen and rattle. Cheap in Europe, they were expensive here.
__________________
Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit...... he set in de bushes..... he watch an' he wait... lay low an' he don' say nuffin'.

www.swissproductsllc.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2011, 7:57 PM
BHPFan's Avatar
BHPFan BHPFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: 73 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
At the expense of getting roundly thumped, the H&K G3 (91 semi) is considered by the German Army to be a throw away rifle. After the expected barrel life of 9,000 to 11,000 rounds they were destroyed and a new rifle issued. If you have one long enough and have fired it often enough you'll find it begins to loosen and rattle. Cheap in Europe, they were expensive here.
Jeez, for a rifle that is originally intended to be throw-away, it sure costs a bundle especially one that is made with a stamped receiver.

For $3K+, I guess I can get a LMT MWS (or any top quality .308 AR) and get much better accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2011, 8:28 PM
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 11,031
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

How about an older HK SL-7 - no pistol grip, no hider.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-01-2011, 9:19 PM
2600fromAtari's Avatar
2600fromAtari 2600fromAtari is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 663
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I don't have experience with the original H&K, but my PTRs have been flawless so far.

If you've got the dough...

http://www.beltfedinc.com/

California company too!!! There's quite a thread about this over at HKPro.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-01-2011, 9:22 PM
joe_sun's Avatar
joe_sun joe_sun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 1,789
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

I've got a PTR-91 that's about 4 years old and it's got real HK parts all over it. I've never had a malfunction using milsurp from SA, Paki or Indian.

I absolutely love the rifle, just wish it was as easy to scope as an AR-10 type.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-02-2011, 9:26 PM
sir9usr's Avatar
sir9usr sir9usr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 151
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I purchased a used HK91 in 1988 when they were still gun shows at Pomona Fairgrounds. It functioned easily through another 2000 rounds that I had put through it and still held a 2" group at 100 yrds with open sights and surplus ammo. It ate everything I fed it except for some tar sealed stuff that gummed the chamber flutes (but cleared quickly with clean ammo). I actually wore out two original HK Alum mags (which are supposed to be "disposable" anyway). I'm rather confused at Latigo's comment saying they would start to "loosen and rattle" over time since mine was always solid with only a cracked stock (1/2" split along the mold line) that reflected its use (but i may have smacked it). The rifle actually has some nice built in features for a "battle rifle" - true Hk's had free floating barrels and the bipods are strong enough where you could stand on the rifle with it deployed (don't ask me why I know this). I hated the creep and vagueness in the trigger though....I ended up trading it for an SR9 3 days before the last AW ban. Made it a "TC" configuration adding a PSG1 trigger and stock. The octagonal barrel works good with moly coated 168 grn ammo and on a good day can turn in a 1.25" to .80" grouping at 100 yrds with a cruddy "Super Sniper" 10x42. Forget trying to reload the brass - even with a port buffer its hit/miss.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-2011, 9:42 PM
a1fabweld's Avatar
a1fabweld a1fabweld is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,422
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

I've got 3 PTR's & a newly aquired Greek SAR-8. They are all absolutely awesome, accurate & reliable. Not one of them has ever failed to do anything.

I recently welded a picatinny rail (from HK Parts) to the top of my receiver. Now optics mounting is as easy as the AR platform. My last AR .308 couldn't get through a 10 round mag with at least 3 FTF/FTE. I don't own it anymore. No plans for another after spending some time with the HK platform.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-03-2011, 5:12 AM
BHPFan's Avatar
BHPFan BHPFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: 73 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fabweld View Post
My last AR .308 couldn't get through a 10 round mag with at least 3 FTF/FTE. I don't own it anymore. No plans for another after spending some time with the HK platform.
What brand and model of AR was it?

Also, a lot of the reliability issues on firearms come from the mags. Are you certain it wasn't the mag itself?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-03-2011, 8:05 AM
B Strong B Strong is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area.
Posts: 6,370
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Well, I looked around and tried to find the search function for this forum but to no avail. SO! I'm trying to dig up some user experience for the H&K .308 semi-auto rifle. If anybody here has experience with this item please jump in and post your 2cents worth as to why I should or should not get one.
100% reliable, heaviest recoil of the big three (M1A, FAL, G3) 7.62 battle rifles.
__________________
The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
___________________________________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-03-2011, 8:49 AM
Saigon1965's Avatar
Saigon1965 Saigon1965 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hayward
Posts: 17,022
iTrader: 125 / 100%
Default

Same here - The rifle is put together really well - But throw aways -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir9usr View Post
I purchased a used HK91 in 1988 when they were still gun shows at Pomona Fairgrounds. It functioned easily through another 2000 rounds that I had put through it and still held a 2" group at 100 yrds with open sights and surplus ammo. It ate everything I fed it except for some tar sealed stuff that gummed the chamber flutes (but cleared quickly with clean ammo). I actually wore out two original HK Alum mags (which are supposed to be "disposable" anyway). I'm rather confused at Latigo's comment saying they would start to "loosen and rattle" over time since mine was always solid with only a cracked stock (1/2" split along the mold line) that reflected its use (but i may have smacked it). The rifle actually has some nice built in features for a "battle rifle" - true Hk's had free floating barrels and the bipods are strong enough where you could stand on the rifle with it deployed (don't ask me why I know this). I hated the creep and vagueness in the trigger though....I ended up trading it for an SR9 3 days before the last AW ban. Made it a "TC" configuration adding a PSG1 trigger and stock. The octagonal barrel works good with moly coated 168 grn ammo and on a good day can turn in a 1.25" to .80" grouping at 100 yrds with a cruddy "Super Sniper" 10x42. Forget trying to reload the brass - even with a port buffer its hit/miss.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-03-2011, 9:05 AM
BHPFan's Avatar
BHPFan BHPFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: 73 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Strong View Post
100% reliable, heaviest recoil of the big three (M1A, FAL, G3) 7.62 battle rifles.
If you use the standard recoil buffer, absolutely yes.

However, you can put a heavier buffer and/or a muzzle brake to make the recoild more manageable.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-03-2011, 9:22 AM
B Strong B Strong is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area.
Posts: 6,370
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
If you use the standard recoil buffer, absolutely yes.

However, you can put a heavier buffer and/or a muzzle brake to make the recoild more manageable.
I've fired 'em all, full and semi, and no matter what buffer you put in a G3, firing them from prone or off a bench isn't fun. I once watched a friend of mine fire from the bench off a rest and observed him being pushed further and further back till the point where the muzzle was on the bag...the bag lasted one round.

I'm not saying I'd throw one in the lake before I'd use it, but given a choice, it would be my last between the FAL, 14 and G3.

The only thing worse than the G3 was the original 21 - that thing was a tooth rattler of the first rank. One 50 round belt from prone and you'd need to see your dentist.

The later extended receiver versions are less painful, but running 7.62 in a recoil operated system in the weight class we're dscussing makes for a lively rifle.
__________________
The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
___________________________________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-03-2011, 1:46 PM
Ruiner Ruiner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car15 View Post
Wow. I wouldn't mind having one of those SL7s.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-03-2011, 2:13 PM
jyo jyo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Running…thru the jungle...
Posts: 4,505
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

I too have been lucky enough to have either owned or extensively fired the big 3 .308 semi-auto rifles (FAL, M1A and HK91) as well as several others. I also would rank the 91 as third in the order, but understand that all three are good, solid, reliable firearms. In regards as to the specifics of why the HK is behind the other two; short barrel (LOTS of muzzle blast), balance not as good (just general heavy feel), recoil is harsher and the fluted chamber does mark the fired brass, but does not "ruin" it. In a survival situation, I personally prefer the FAL, but would have no problem with any of these provided a supply of clean ammo was available.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-03-2011, 5:25 PM
a1fabweld's Avatar
a1fabweld a1fabweld is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,422
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
What brand and model of AR was it?

Also, a lot of the reliability issues on firearms come from the mags. Are you certain it wasn't the mag itself?
It was a DPMS AP4 .308 (NRA rifle of the year when it came out). I tried 4 different DPMS mags. None were better than the other. I tried surplus & commercial ammo. Neither fed reliably. My PTR was more accurate as well. After that, I lost interest in the AR .308 platform. The other 3 (M1A, HK, & FAL based) rifles get my vote. To each their own.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:46 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.