Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-10-2016, 9:03 PM

Robert M. Loeb just made an appearance. That guy is a stone cold killer.
https://www.orrick.com/People/4/A/4/Robert-Loeb

He is one of the top appellate attorneys in the country. The county is planning on taking this to the Supreme Court.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And who is funding the county on this?

I doubt Bob is either cheap or working pro bono.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-11-2016, 1:19 PM

Honestly this is a pretty good Supreme Court case. The real problem with the AR 15 cases is there is a great chance we will lose them at the Supreme Court.
Especially now with Scalia gone. This is the type of case that the Supreme Court would have to say well sure if there is a right to own them then you can't ban all gun stores.
Old 07-11-2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
Honestly this is a pretty good Supreme Court case. The real problem with the AR 15 cases is there is a great chance we will lose them at the Supreme Court.
Especially now with Scalia gone. This is the type of case that the Supreme Court would have to say well sure if there is a right to own them then you can't ban all gun stores.
Are you forgetting all those other cases where logic, the rule of law and every thing common sense was just thrown out the window? Obamacare legal because it is a tax has completely slipped your mind? The liberals on SCOTUS will do or say anything to rule the way they want. There is no shame, conscience, or regrets with these people.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you forgetting all those other cases where logic, the rule of law and every thing common sense was just thrown out the window? Obamacare legal because it is a tax has completely slipped your mind?
Can there be any doubt, for example, that the minority in Heller wouldn't give the slightest consideration to following Heller vs DC?

The Heller minority would would throw the baby of stare decisis out with the bath water faster than Sotomayor could say 'settled law' in her confirmation hearing.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Last edited by Maestro Pistolero; 07-17-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Old 07-17-2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
Can there be any doubt, for example, that the minority in Heller wouldn't give the slightest consideration to following Heller vs DC?

The Heller minority would would throw the baby of stare decisis out with the bath water faster than Sotomayor could say 'settled law' in her confirmation hearing.
The Ninth Circuit is the most overturned circuit for a reason but it does not like getting overturned all the time. If I was a betting and I am I would wager that this case gets overturned. But if the Ninth does it in a way that ignores Heller or logic and reason then it knows it will get overturned by the Supreme Court just like the Mass Supreme Court did in Caetono. There is one thing that the liberals on the Supreme Court hate more than the Second Amendment and that is having a lower court act like they do not have to obey the Supreme Court
Old 07-17-2016, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
The Ninth Circuit is the most overturned circuit for a reason but it does not like getting overturned all the time. If I was a betting and I am I would wager that this case gets overturned. But if the Ninth does it in a way that ignores Heller or logic and reason then it knows it will get overturned by the Supreme Court just like the Mass Supreme Court did in Caetono. There is one thing that the liberals on the Supreme Court hate more than the Second Amendment and that is having a lower court act like they do not have to obey the Supreme Court
Yet they have repeatedly failed to act on many very good, ripe, well-argued and well-briefed cases with many lower courts begging and daring them to provide guidance.

A case comes to mind (what was that case?) where a CCA found that people have a 'right' to a perception of safety therefore common semi-auto rifles could be banned? Cert denied, as I recall.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Last edited by Maestro Pistolero; 07-17-2016 at 2:41 PM..
Old 07-17-2016, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
Yet they have repeatedly failed to act on many very good, ripe, well-argued and well-briefed cases with many lower courts begging and daring them to provide guidance.

A case comes to mind (what was that case?) where a CCA found that people have a 'right' to a perception of safety therefore common semi-auto rifles could be banned? Cert denied, as I recall.
Freidman? Out of the Chicago suburb of Oak Parks (or something like that)? Yeah, SCOTUS not granting cert on that one (and overturning it) one was a travesty. But at least it didn't become the law of the land by SCOTUS affirming it.
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 07-21-2016, 8:16 PM

https://www.scribd.com/document/3189...xiera-Petition

the en banc petition go filed today
Old 07-21-2016, 9:51 PM
Administrator

War is peace, black is white ...

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 07-29-2016, 5:05 AM

Filed order (DIARMUID F. O’SCANNLAIN, BARRY G. SILVERMAN and CARLOS T. BEA): Appellants are directed to file a response to the Petition for Rehearing or Rehearing En Banc, filed with this court on July 21, 2016. The response shall be filed within 21 days of the date of this order. Parties who are registered for Appellate ECF must file the response electronically without submission of paper copies. Parties who are not registered Appellate ECF filers must file the original response plus 50 paper copies. [10064766] (AF) [Entered: 07/27/2016 09:21 AM]
Old 08-08-2016, 5:15 PM

*Subscribed.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:01 AM

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...7/13-17132.pdf
en banc it goes
Old 12-27-2016, 3:14 PM

Again?!?

What fricking joke.
Old 12-27-2016, 6:17 PM

Inauguration day can't come soon enough.

John 14:6
Old 12-27-2016, 8:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Agreed. I'm hoping that the new Supreme Court can send the 9th Circuit a message. There will be plenty of opportunities on this issue at this rate.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 12-27-2016, 8:23 PM

Send a message, my *****. Send a firing squad. And by firing squad, I mean Trey Gowdy and some other Constitutionalists to set those bums straight on the law of the land.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.” - Hon. Roger T. Benitez, United States District Judge, March 29, 2019
Old 12-28-2016, 1:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Again, the relevant law doesn't matter. The 9th Circus is devoted to killing liberty.

You go to the 9th and one way or another you lose.

So far as SCOTUS? Remember that Scalia appeared to be solid on the RKBA and with him aboard the SCOTUS was not slapping the 9th around - which means that replacing him isn't going to fix the issue. You need at least 2 Trump SCOTUS appointments in order to have great hope of SCOTUS fixing things.
Old 12-28-2016, 4:00 AM
Veteran Member

They just can't let a pro 2A decision stand. This now marks the 4th en banc by CA9 in 2A cases?
Old 12-28-2016, 8:50 AM

That's it. Time for the Trump DoJ to crawl over every inch of these judges' lives and find something to remove them over. If they are going to allow their personal preferences to guide their choices over the rule of law and their oath to the Constitution it's time to pull them off the bench and replace them with those who will honor that oath. Additionally, these en-banc votes need to be public so that it can be identified if certain judges are engaging in a pattern or practice of partiality.

Last edited by ironpegasus; 12-28-2016 at 8:54 AM..
Old 12-28-2016, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
They just can't let a pro 2A decision stand. This now marks the 4th en banc by CA9 in 2A cases?
En banc is exceptionally rare, unless it is a pro gun ruining in the 9th circuit; then it is garunteed.
Old 12-30-2016, 9:12 AM

...and just like that, en banc is granted by the 9th. I guess we didn't see that coming
Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will reconsider the legal merits of Alameda County ordinance that restricts where and how many gun stores can reside in unincorporated areas.

The court announced Tuesday that a case challenging Alameda County’s 1998 gun store location ordinance will be up for rehearing by a full panel the week of March 20 in San Francisco, and that a three-justice panel opinion issued in May should not be considered precedent.

The Ninth Circuit selects a only small fraction of the cases submitted to it for reconsideration before a full 11-judge panel. Cases are selected on what’s perceived to be of constitutional importance.
More at:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/2...gun-store-law/
Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Perceived to be of Constitutional importance... Riiiiiiight. Because there's need to take it en banc if you think they got it right in the original ruling. Was this even submitted for en banc as the Merc implies? I was under the impression that this was another sua sponte instance - which should be "an even smaller fraction" - but when it comes to a right enshrined in the BoR, I guess we can expect it to be brought up every time if it rules in favor of the right instead of restriction...
Old 01-01-2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Luckily a lot of justices on the 9th are getting old. If we get 8yrs of Trump there is a real chance of less bs from the 9th.
Old 01-01-2017, 9:10 PM

About to get en banc'ed again. What a surprise. I'm sure that d-bag Thomas called for it.

Last edited by Urban Achiever; 01-01-2017 at 9:12 PM..
Old 01-25-2017, 9:37 PM

En banc oral argument scheduled for March 20

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/calendar...2022&year=2017
Old 03-07-2017, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
En banc oral argument scheduled for March 20

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/calendar...2022&year=2017
Less than 2 weeks to go!
Old 03-07-2017, 6:43 PM

Calguns meetup at the court?

Wear NRA or other pro-2A gear?
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.” - Hon. Roger T. Benitez, United States District Judge, March 29, 2019
Old 03-07-2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Calguns meetup at the court?

Wear NRA or other pro-2A gear?
I have a molon labe t shirt that I always wear when attending court. Think that or something else that let's people know what case you are there for.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Business casual is preferred I think. We can generally tell which sides people are on based on with whom they congregate.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Business casual is preferred I think. We can generally tell which sides people are on based on with whom they congregate.
Preferred by whom? Is a molon labe t shirt really going to away the decision either way?

At Peruta en banc there was a heavy LEO presence- yes it's a courthouse, but they brought in extra people and I think might have had more long guns present too.

Come for the discussion/to support our side. Don't expect any impact except the other side murmuring about the fervent gun nuts that come out for these things.
Old 03-09-2017, 3:07 PM
Administrator

Well, there are extremes of dress.

When I go to those things, I wear a suit. People think I'm a lawyer.

If someone come in all camo, that's the clip that will make the news - but the TV people won't bother to talk to him/her.

If folks come Dressed Like Everybody Else, there's nothing the TV drones can focus on. They completely miss the message "Dressed Like Everybody Else? They are like everybody else; nothing extreme here."

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-09-2017, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpactuser View Post
Preferred by whom? Is a molon labe t shirt really going to away the decision either way?
Court's are one of the ancient institutions of our society. They are VERY CONSERVATIVE in procedure. They met out justice. They expect and often DEMAND respect. Just search "judge lawyer inappropriate dressed" and you'll see PLENTY of examples.

IMO, "business casual" of a longsleeved white Oxford with tie is the WORST I'd wear in court, as an observer (vs as a party or witness).

Inside courtrooms are NOT the place to make political statements by your dress, esp if you are on the opposite side of the judges already. Why leave them with "a bad taste in their mouths" about 2nd A advocates when we'll probably be in front of them again in the future?
Old 03-09-2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Court's are one of the ancient institutions of our society. They are VERY CONSERVATIVE in procedure. They met out justice. They expect and often DEMAND respect. Just search "judge lawyer inappropriate dressed" and you'll see PLENTY of examples.

IMO, "business casual" of a longsleeved white Oxford with tie is the WORST I'd wear in court, as an observer (vs as a party or witness).

Inside courtrooms are NOT the place to make political statements by your dress, esp if you are on the opposite side of the judges already. Why leave them with "a bad taste in their mouths" about 2nd A advocates when we'll probably be in front of them again in the future?
Say you don't wear a provocative t shirt but don't dress up as an observer but stay silent/non provocative.

What's going to happen? The judge who was pro gun will decide if you're too slovenly to wear a tie he'll decide differently just to spite us? If a judge was on the fence, the sight of an untied collar will decide the case? And given the animus of the 9th, and our proven history of en banc courts in guns, you really think there's enough of a margin an unadorned collar will make the difference?

Or the court will grind to a halt, and a judge will order you ejected? Fined? Imprisoned? Lashed? For having the audacity to wear a striped collared shirt with a collar button undone while remaining silent as an observer, in the 3rd row?

Look, I respect you paladin, and if you have superstition or whatever- just tell me and ask me to respect that and you'll get a lot further. As is, it seems like you're asking me to take FUD as verifiable proven facts, which I reflexively reject. The evidence you cite is from a LAWYER. Darn right anytime I'm BEFORE a judge I'll dress to the nines. But there is no evidence I'm aware of, or has been presented to me, about doing anything as an observer short of Manson family behavior that will create a problem.

Last edited by lowimpactuser; 03-10-2017 at 8:04 AM..
Old 03-09-2017, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Absolutely.

Come on, the only statement you want to make in a court is how much you respect the court's status. You need to dress like you're taking it seriously because it is serious.

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 PM

Obviously I wear a suit when I am appearing in court but I show up to see my friends argue when they have a big case all the time. I just wear my street cloths. Trust me the judges don't care. If its a trial court I might get a smile or a nod if I know them. Most of the time these people don't take any notice at all at who is there much less how they are dressed.
Old 03-10-2017, 8:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Say you don't wear a provocative t shirt but don't dress up as an observer but stay silent/non provocative.

What's going to happen? The judge who was pro gun will decide if you're too slovenly to wear a tie he'll decide differently just to spite us? If a judge was on the fence, the sight of an untied collar will decide the case? And given the animus of the 9th, and our proven history of en banc courts in guns, you really think there's enough of a margin an unadorned collar will make the difference?
The Left/antis are always say folks on the Right are hicks, yahoos, uneducated, unintelligent, unsophisticated, "clinging to guns & religion" (as Obama said), etc. Do not reinforce that stereotype.

Quote:
Or the court will grind to a halt, and a judge will order you ejected? Fined? Imprisoned? Lashed? For having the audacity to wear a striped collared shirt with a collar button undone while remaining silent as an observer, in the 3rd row?

Quote:
Look, I respect you paladin, and if you have superstition or whatever- just tell me and ask me to respect that and you'll get a lot further. As is, it seems like you're asking me to take FUD as verifiable proven facts, which I reflexively reject.
Courts are SUPPOSED to be non-partisian and even non-political and that's why most judges do not "run for office" against other candidates (although some are required to win elections to remain on the bench ("Goodbye, Justice (Rose?) Bird!")). Courts refer to the Executive and Legislative branches as "the political branches" and they do NOT refer to themselves or consider themselves political. If you want to make a POLITICAL statement, do it OUTSIDE of the courtroom afterwards. But even there, don't do it by wearing a John Deere hat and cammies, do it by your intelligent statements/arguments and by your professional appearance.

Just because something is permitted does not mean it is wise to do. Rather, that liberty gives each person room to show themselves as wise or foolish.

Quote:
The evidence you cite is from a LAWYER. Darn right anytime I'm BEFORE a judge I'll dress to the nines. But there is no evidence I'm aware of, or has been presented to me, about doing anything as an observer short of Manson family behavior that will create a problem.
Like I said: don't do ANYTHING to leave ANYONE with a bad impression of 2nd A advocates/gunnies. Be a "credit" to our position, esp before an en banc panel of federal judges.

The question I have for you is why would you want to do otherwise?

(out of here until tonight)

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2017 at 8:33 AM..
Old 03-10-2017, 8:38 AM

Quote:
The Left/antis are always say folks on the Right are hicks, yahoos, uneducated, unintelligent, unsophisticated, "clinging to guns & religion" (as Obama said), etc. Do not reinforce that stereotype.
I used to agree, but in California, that battle is lost. Coupled with Richard Spencer dressing white supremacy up in suits and being a cultural phenomenon right now, suits hold less protective power of "right wing ideology" these days especially.

Quote:
No, totally serious! What marginal difference does a collared shirt WITHOUT a tie make?

Quote:
Courts are SUPPOSED to be non-partisian and even non-political and that's why most judges do not "run for office" against other candidates (although some are required to win elections to remain on the bench ("Goodbye, Justice (Rose?) Bird!")). Courts refer to the Executive and Legislative branches as "the political branches" and they do NOT refer to themselves or consider themselves political. If you want to make a POLITICAL statement, do it OUTSIDE of the courtroom afterwards. But even there, don't do it by wearing a John Deere hat and cammies, do it by your intelligent statements/arguments and by your professional appearance.
Again, you strawman. I was NOT planning on wearing cammies and a john deere hat- I would have to buy both first to even contemplate doing so. I'm talking street clothes. As for the 9th being non-political- yeah, I know you said "supposed", but I'm done respecting or pretending they are. No, that doesn't mean I'm dressing in tea party garb, but showing deference or respect where unnecessary? Yeah, no thanks, I don't dress up and act like an organ grinder monkey for a master who has nothing but contempt for me.

Quote:
Just because something is permitted does not mean it is wise to do. Rather, that liberty gives each person room to show themselves as wise or foolish.
Yes, and dressing up very nicely to have my face spit in with no sympathetic press to show my photo to galvanize support for civil rights means I just ruin a suit with no upside.

Quote:
Like I said: don't do ANYTHING to leave ANYONE with a bad impression of 2nd A advocates/gunnies. Be a "credit" to our position.

The question I have for you is why would you want to do otherwise?

(out of here until tonight)
Simple. Suits are dry clean only. Ties don't let you go out drinking and relax. You either pull the tie loose, which is bad for the tie and still presents your tie as a target to get ruined, or you have to have your car to stash stuff in, which then presents a target to get broken into in the glorious crime-free utopia of San Francisco. Ties are generally uncomfortable, and so I only wear when it has benefit FOR ME.

Some people say, "no glove, no love".

I say, "No benefit, no tie".
Old 03-10-2017, 9:21 AM
Administrator

Good heavens!

If you don't want to wear a tie, don't. Clean shirt with a collar.

I'd suggest better-than-bowling-team-shirt, if you have such.

I suspect, as wolfwood has reported, court officers don't really care about appearance in the gallery. Behavior, OTOH, will be noticed.

Also, for those going, no CCW - the court will not let you in, and they will not check your weapon, unless you are LEO. Further, plan to check your knives; those can't come in, either, but they will hold them and give you a receipt.

- Marcus Aurelius