Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-20-2005, 8:26 AM

IS there any easy way to tell the difference between the 3 of the makes?

Im looking into a really clean SKS but dont know much about them. It has a muzzle break on it with an under-folder bayonet. Fixed magazine. Just double checking on these Ca laws before I really get serious about it.
What are the illegal configurations that I need to look out for?
Old 06-20-2005, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Folks on the SKS Survivors board (and perhaps some here) can give more info about Federal law, but:

For California:

<LI> it should not have a detachable mag (banned by name 'SKS w/detachable magazine' by original Roberti-Roos law in 1989).

<LI> Can't have a grenade launcher. This GL can be replaced with a regular flash suppressor, or the GL can be welded over by a sleeve (as InterOrdnance does w/their California SKS).

For Federal law:

<LI> [THIS IS ONLY APPROXIMATE BUT GENERALLY CORRECT, CHECK W/OTHER SOURCES] It must be 922(r) compliant. If brought in as a C&R gun and has military features (night sights, grenade launcher, etc.) it needs to keep same configuration (don't even replace stocks) as imported. If you're gonna change things around, you've gotta play the 10-or-less game (adding US-mfgd parts) unless you remove things like night sights, bayonet stuff, put on a muzzle brake, etc.

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Between the chineese and the russian the differenes are not very big, as far as appearance goes, russians have a blade bayonet but chineese ones have blade or spike bayo. Russians have laminated or hardwood stocks and are usually birch with a darker finish. Chineese are some kind of other wood but are yellow or orange in finish.

otherwise they look pretty similar, some chineese may have stamped parts while russian is usually all milled. lengh-wise they are the same (except some chineese para, that have 16 in barrels)

russians are usually better made too and are less common so they cost a lot more, but chineese ones are getting scarce too.

yugos are distincly different by having the grenade launcher/muzzle brake/ grenade sights, they have thicker stocks and rubber buttpads. (also some yugos without a muzzle brake/sights config but its pretty rare, looks close to a russian)

you can check out simonov.net for more info
Old 06-20-2005, 1:38 PM

Well, the fact that it has a muzzle brake on it leads me to believe that it may be a Yugo, as they are the only SKS's that came with one. Does it have the Granade Launcher site?
Yugo serial numbers are 6 numbers, and NO letters
The Chinese are pretty easy to recognize as the markings on them are Chinese.
Chinese serial numbers are typically 7 to 8 numbers
The Russian markings are a Circle with Triangle with an arrow or a Star with a arrow in it. The Star is from the TULA arsnel and the Triangle is from the IZHEVSK arsnel.
The serial number is 2 Crylic characters followed by 4 numbers
Romanian marking is a Triangle with the point of an arrow, but not the feather end. There are 2 letters followed by 4 numbers then a date for serial numbers.

Let me know if you get it, then we can go shooting at Panoche.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 06-20-2005, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

There's another potential legal problem with the Chinese SKS, according to Title 18 922(r). I'm no expert on this, so I tread cautiously.

Any non-C&R SKS imported after 1989 can't have a bayonet attached. Any C&R SKS is exempt from this, so this includes all Yugos, all Russians, and maybe other E. European ones, assuming they're not modified out of C&R status.

Chinese SKS production started in 1956, so they'll start enjoying C&R status soon.

There's an extensive set of FAQs addressing this here:
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

and a link to a BATF brochure that states bayonets are prohibited on non-C&R SKS's:
http://www.simonov.net/Files/assembly.zip

It's a particularly confusing set of laws. While prosecutions for these violations are extremely uncommon, when you see a Chinese SKS with a bayonet attached, the odds are extremely good that it's illegal, unless there's documentation showing it was imported before the law took effect.

max

NRA Life Member