Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 05-15-2017, 8:29 AM

It dials in 5 moa increments. Loosen knob .. . dial to just under what you want ... say 90 moa and tighten knob and do the fine adjusting with the scope. The bad part is you will need a couple different cheek rests for different distances.
The Charlie Tarac looks like it solves a lot of problems. Will wait to see real results before buying.

Heres a hands on video of the Ivey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3Uiov775M

Last edited by Hoffer; 05-15-2017 at 8:33 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking about the Tarac again today and looked at some more videos. One thing that it really interesting about it is to look at it backwards.

What if you could set zero out to 2000 yards, then use the unit to shoot at 100 and verify the zero? They did something similar in one video where the guy set at 1150, then popped the periscope on to shoot at 100.

That adds some very interesting implications- being able to shoot at center glass (with the use of a solid base to get right on center glass for a 2000 yard zero).

Does that make sense? Would be hard to get the initial zero at 2000, but if you knew the dope on your ammo you could do it mathematically and verify at 100 with the Tarac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 05-19-2017, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I was thinking about the Tarac again today and looked at some more videos. One thing that it really interesting about it is to look at it backwards.

What if you could set zero out to 2000 yards, then use the unit to shoot at 100 and verify the zero? They did something similar in one video where the guy set at 1150, then popped the periscope on to shoot at 100.

That adds some very interesting implications- being able to shoot at center glass (with the use of a solid base to get right on center glass for a 2000 yard zero).

Does that make sense? Would be hard to get the initial zero at 2000, but if you knew the dope on your ammo you could do it mathematically and verify at 100 with the Tarac.
'Spoke' to John minutes ago - per email

Here is his reply "

Yes to all !

In fact we make a simpler unit that takes your 1200 yd zero back to 100yds.

In summary it can run "backwards" also

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum
Old 05-19-2017, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
'Spoke' to John minutes ago - per email

Here is his reply "

Yes to all !

In fact we make a simpler unit that takes your 1200 yd zero back to 100yds.

In summary it can run "backwards" also

Very interesting. I think John's using this method in this video:

Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 05-20-2017, 4:59 AM

All of the TARAC styles can be run "upside down/backwards"
Indeed the rifle in the video shown has a 80moa rail and the video is on a 50yd range. The TARAC Bravo, which is being used, is an inverted 7mil down shift. The scope mount adapters are symmetrical in nature allowing the unit to mounted right side up, up side down and sideways...
Why sideways: it is often easier to find distant targets that can be milled left to right than it is vertically (unless you have some really tall buildings in the field where you are shooting). We use distant horizontal targets mill two objects with the retical, turn the unit sideways and adjust the Charlie to those objects making a fast field adjustment. NF ATACR's have over 50mil showing on the horizontal stadia when using a H59 type reticle.
The original TARAC Bravo was specifically designed to allow the user to have a 1-1400yd zero with the scope essentially bottomed out allowing the user to use the "sweet spot" of the optics at the 1700-2000yd mark.
The one down side of the Bravo is it is magnification limited. It works (image wise) well below 15x. At powers like 20x - you can see the fly on the paper at 100yds but cannot see his legs. A bit of blurriness enters due to the physics of the lens. I have certainly shot many one hole 100yd groups with the set up though.
The Charlie provides a crisp image regardless of the up/down requirements and is certainly capable of high magnification clarity.
Old 07-05-2017, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Another video I noticed from John, this time with David Tubb. Good company!

Quote:

Old 07-06-2017, 7:05 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Another video I noticed from John, this time with David Tubb. Good company!

That casual mention of the two units being built for record shots, I know where one is going. we are asking for so much elevation that John as to redesign his unit to get there. We're asking for 200 mil with a good amount of adjustability. John will be coming through for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Last edited by kcstott; 07-09-2017 at 7:12 PM..
Old 07-09-2017, 6:58 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Boy, does this thing look interesting or what??

Such a clever solution. Maybe I’ll keep my S&B scope after all, haha!!
Old 07-12-2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
That casual mention of the two units being built for record shots, I know where one is going. we are asking for so much elevation that John as to redesign his unit to get there. We're asking for 200 mil with a good amount of adjustability. John will be coming through for us.
This is for your uncles rifle?

Isn't he back east? Where you gonna test it?
Old 07-12-2017, 2:49 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
This is for your uncles rifle?

Isn't he back east? Where you gonna test it?
he is back east but we have planes and pelican cases that can transport him anywhere we need to go.

Testing will be at a selected location in the far south California desert. our current area allows us about 2600 meters. 1760 is even easier to get to and place steel

the area(s) I need to confirm the viability of has the ability to take targets out to five or even nine miles. All on BLM land. not shooting over roads or through restricted areas, all legit, We only need 4500-5000 meters worth.

Schedule as it sits is he'll be coming out in December for further practice and testing pushing out to 3000 meters hopefully. Then we'll continue onward. We are alread seeing very promising results from LeHigh bullets. they have under estimated their BC slightly and we are seeing very good results.

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.

Last edited by kcstott; 07-12-2017 at 2:52 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I heard that 2 Ivey mounts broke at the KO2M Match but didn't hear if they where the newer design or the older design.
Lynn

I followed up with your source and he replied, "I heard that from X at Y. It was from one of the big matches last year ... not sure if it was KO2M and it could have been an older version of the Ivey. Slightly vague from another source."

My emphasis added (red) - "X" & "Y" to protect the "sources". Otherwise an exact copy of what I received, ellipse and all.

I would draw exactly ZERO conclusions from that "data". I have an MOA Ivey and like it a lot. Very quick to adjust without any tools whatsoever.
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by URSA Facilitator; 07-14-2017 at 1:48 PM..
Old 07-15-2017, 8:54 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Keep in mind I'd have no problem showing you guys from URSA the location we shoot. we could even set up a deep south shoot,

Problem is the drive weeds out a lot of people that just want to shoot in their back yard. the spot i shoot is 1.5 hours one way. it's wide open, no RSO's to deal with. No BS rules, you show up, set up, shoot, and go home it that easy. Yet guys still just want to ring steel at pala?? lazy bastards.
When i go to the desert I'm going for a reason. I have a job to do. be it confirm a zero, get longer range drop dope in the book, work up loads for a rifle or just plain solid practice before a match. I'm their to do a job. Ive had people come out with and all they want to do is mag dumps. or half arsed precision shooting with no regard to the basic fundamentals of marksmanship. F'n frustrating.

Right now it's hot enough where I go that you need to be on deck at 5am and be done by 9 am before it gets above 90˚ if you want to be somewhat comfortable. the soonest you can expect cooler weather is November at best. December to January is more like it.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
he is back east but we have planes and pelican cases that can transport him anywhere we need to go.

Testing will be at a selected location in the far south California desert. our current area allows us about 2600 meters. 1760 is even easier to get to and place steel

the area(s) I need to confirm the viability of has the ability to take targets out to five or even nine miles. All on BLM land. not shooting over roads or through restricted areas, all legit, We only need 4500-5000 meters worth.

Schedule as it sits is he'll be coming out in December for further practice and testing pushing out to 3000 meters hopefully. Then we'll continue onward. We are alread seeing very promising results from LeHigh bullets. they have under estimated their BC slightly and we are seeing very good results.
Yes I live back east Williamsburg Va to be exact. And yes My 408 is here with me. And as stated my Luggage when I fly is pelican lol. And I can either fly commercial or if scheduled right because I am a U.S. Army Retiree I can if schedules line up fly out in a Military transport ( space A) if available. So yes I can get pretty be much anywhere I want too or need to be on time and on target.

As far as the weapon yes we have some good ballistic data up to a mile and I have shot it outside the elevation of my scope and rail set up out 2600 plus meters last trip. But KC and I need to get confirmed data on that. Yes the combination of the bullet, brass and load and the rifle is showing better ballistic data than expected.

Bottom line is for my next trip at around xmas time as stated taking it out and really stretch the 408s legs out. Verify 2600 meter data and take it to 3000 meters and verify that data and if we can get out further than 3000 meters. Based on the area and my time out there ( vacation time) will allow that is just better for us and a possible next year run at the KO2M and beyond.
Old 07-19-2017, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDStott View Post
Yes I live back east Williamsburg Va to be exact. And yes My 408 is here with me. And as stated my Luggage when I fly is pelican lol. And I can either fly commercial or if scheduled right because I am a U.S. Army Retiree I can if schedules line up fly out in a Military transport ( space A) if available. So yes I can get pretty be much anywhere I want too or need to be on time and on target.

As far as the weapon yes we have some good ballistic data up to a mile and I have shot it outside the elevation of my scope and rail set up out 2600 plus meters last trip. But KC and I need to get confirmed data on that. Yes the combination of the bullet, brass and load and the rifle is showing better ballistic data than expected.

Bottom line is for my next trip at around xmas time as stated taking it out and really stretch the 408s legs out. Verify 2600 meter data and take it to 3000 meters and verify that data and if we can get out further than 3000 meters. Based on the area and my time out there ( vacation time) will allow that is just better for us and a possible next year run at the KO2M and beyond.
Good luck Uncle !

WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum