Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-05-2012, 8:09 PM

Default REMINGTON VERSA MAX

Got a new present a couple of weeks ago in the form of a new Remington Versa Max 12 ga. 2 3/4" -3 1/2" semi auto shotgun, 26" bbl probore extended choke, syn stock black om panels camp aphd (typed up the stuff off of the label on the box)

It basically reminds me of a Benelli SBE but with gas operation. It fits fine except for the forend which could be narrower for me. I do like the hi-vis front sight and it did come with four extended choke tubes. They list them as "flooded timber", "over decoys", "pass shooting", and "turkey/predator" (I did buy it to hunt so I am guessing they know what demographics to go after). It came in a nice green plastic case along with stock adjustment capabilities but haven't played with any of that yet. I took it out duck hunting last weekend and already chipped a bit of paint off of the camo so it's not as tough as the Duracoat on my son's Browning BPS.
Right now it sits in the middle of the pack of the several shotguns I own and I've ranked them in my preference below:

#1 Benelli M2 camo 20 ga. (use it for dove, quail, pheasants and ducks)
#2 Benelli Montefeltro wood 20 ga. (this is my wifes and what prompted me to buy the M2. I've killed geese with it and really like the lightness). She also has a 20 ga. Mossberg pump in pink camo.
#3 Benelli SBE1 camo 12 ga. (use it primarily for duck, pheasant and turkey and have killed a lot of game with it. Replaced the springs with SureCycle and no real complaints except sometimes the action runs slow and does not cycle properly. Might just need better cleaning)
#4 Browing Citori wood 12 ga. (older fixed choke but nice for a change of pace. Never any issues but only shoots 2 3/4"-3")
#5 Remington Versa Max camo 12 ga. (haven't shot it enough but it is probably the heaviest of all the shotguns I own. The forearm is also larger so it does feel different. Virtually no recoil but recoil doesn't bother me too much. Well, maybe now that I have a gun that reduces it I may be able to shoot better)
#6 Remington 1100 wood 12 ga. (was my go to for everything but now it needs parts. I bought a 11-87 in 1994 and swapped parts between the two and finally got rid of the 11-87 to get the Versa Max.
#7 Remington 870 Wingmaster wood 12 ga. 30" fixed full choke. (great trap gun and have used it for hunting but prefer auto's or o/u's
#8 Smith & Wesson wood 917 12 ga. pump shotgun. (this was my first shotgun I bought new and Montgomery Wards. It has a single slide action and was pretty cheaply made. I painted it green to cover the rust but it got the job done and now is retired)
#9 Mossberg wood 20 ga. Model 500 (I loaned this out to a friends for his 8 year old son but I don't think I am ever going to get it back)
#10 H&R Topper Jr. wood 20 ga. single shot break open (bought it for my son years ago and took it apart once and never got it back together. Pretty much worthless)
I didn't count my .410 Springfield M6 Scout but it would be above the H&R.

I'll probably take the Versa Max out duck hunting for the rest of the season to give it a proper test drive.
Old 01-06-2012, 6:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

If you had a Benelli M4 in your collection you would be pretty stunned by the resemblance.
Old 01-06-2012, 1:06 PM

Rumor has it, that the trigger group from a M2 will interchange with the Remington Versa Max. They are calling it the Reminnelli or the Benillington.
Some top 3 gun shooters have been running the Versa Max. Heard it is soft shooting, but heavy.
Old 01-10-2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
They are calling it the Reminnelli or the Benillington. Heard it is soft shooting, but heavy.
I like Reminnelli

As for the soft shooting but feels heavy