Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-27-2015, 1:36 AM

Default Vortex PST vs Sightron SIII 6-24x

I used the search but most the threads were comparing older versions of both scopes. I initially decided on the Vortex PST but came across some good reviews about the Sightron and many claim the glass is superior to the Vortex.

Thoughts?

Or any other recommendations for a scope on a similar level as these two and under a thousand?
Old 02-27-2015, 8:26 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The glass in the Vortex is superior.

The Trijicon Accupoint has the best glass for about $1000:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...iflescope.html

Tim G.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 02-28-2015, 1:00 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you want a 6-24x, Kahles K624i is the best game in town. It's got glass that's quite good and an excellent build, but you save money over the higher end scopes since it's just got a 4x zoom multiple. It's going to be more than $1,000, as it's stepping up to the middle market, but it's a better value than the PST for what you get. The PSTs are great scopes to learn on, but they've been near $1,000 for a long time, which makes them rather costly given that there are now so many alternatives. The PST glass is awful, which is why I'd have trouble justifying the cost. I'd have no hesitation running a K624i on any short action. If you can, shop for value, not price, and you'll save money in the long run.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM

I just replaced my Sightron 16 X fixed with a Sightron 8-32X56 and love it. Read up on F Class equipment lists. You'll find Sightrons through out. I do have a Trijicon on my AR and admit it is very bright. Trijicon uses Japanese Hoya glass like Nightforce. I try to avoid Chinese anything ...
Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 AM

I have Sightron and Vortex the glass on Sightron is more crisp and clear. I like both but my distance rifle has a Sightron.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 AM

http://www.shootingreviews.com/affor...sightron-siii/
Old 03-03-2015, 1:47 AM

vortex = Filipino glass
sightron = Japanese glass
Old 03-03-2015, 6:50 AM

Siii is the best in that price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 03-03-2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1911 View Post
vortex = Filipino glass
sightron = Japanese glass
My understanding is that the Vortex glass is from Japan but they are assembled in the Philippines albeit most still give glass clarity to the Sightron. Am I misinformed?

I guess what I am trying to decide is if the illuminated reticle and zero stop in the Vortex are worth sacrificing glass clarity compared to the Sightron. Those are the main differences from what I can tell. Is the illuminated reticle really only for low light conditions?

Also I am really having a hard time deciding between mildot or Moa and FFP or SFP. My concern with FFP is that the reticle will be too big or too small at certain magnifications.

For MOA I have a better understanding of MOA and I feel like my mind works better in those increments but Mildot seems more universal and verstaile.

HELP!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 AM

You need to decide what you want the gun to do, and the scope to do?
How much are you going to invest into the rifle?
How much can you spend on the scope?

Obviously, Illum , Zero stop, FFP are going to cost extra. Based on your expectations of what you want to do, and the realistic capabilities of the rifle, do you need to spend extra on those enhancements ? Or spend on more better glass, reticle, knobs etc.

If your mind works in MOA, then do that. If you want to expand your knowledge and try something new, then go MIL. But if you end up hating MIL, now you are stuck with an expensive MIL scope.

Picking scopes is a tough thing to do, and its hard when you cant look at and fondle every scope you want. Ive spent two SHOT shows doing just that, and that only seems to make matters worse.
Old 03-04-2015, 5:05 PM

And Just when I thought I had decided on the Sightron I came across the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Can someone talk me out of it please!
Old 03-04-2015, 5:24 PM

What set up are you putting this on and what are you looking to do with your rifle?

Also what magnification are you looking for?

What did you like about the Elite; are you looking at magnification, size, recticle, weight, features?
Old 03-04-2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs75 View Post
What set up are you putting this on and what are you looking to do with your rifle?

Also what magnification are you looking for?

What did you like about the Elite; are you looking at magnification, size, recticle, weight, features?
I think I will take the Bushnell out of the equation.

Current set up is a stock Savage 11. I have yet to decide if I want to build this rifle (new barrel and chassis) or pick up a Rem 700p but either way I am going to need glass and the stock Nikon 3x9 that came with it isn't going to cut it.

I am looking for a good scope for the 1000 yard range +/-. No plans for hunting simply target shooting. Usually shoot out in the desert and not at ranges. However, as my skill set progresses I want to have enough scope that I can grow into it and maybe get out to a competition with some of the guys here. Magnification 5-20x/6-24x or so.

As far as features I want the best of both worlds but that doesn't exist at my price range. I am trying to get the best scope for my money which is under 1k. Good glass, good turrets, tracks well, good reticle, and good warranty. I would also prefer a zero stop. Illumination I don't really care about. FFP is not currently needed but I would like to learn to range with my scope and eventually use it to compete.
Old 03-04-2015, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous308 View Post
And Just when I thought I had decided on the Sightron I came across the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Can someone talk me out of it please!
Where the Bushnell scopes really stand out is the G2DMR reticle. For distance shooting, it's one of the simplest yet useful holdover style reticles available. The problem with the higher magnification scopes though is that the FFP feature will have half of that amazing reticle outside the field of view at 21-24X magnification. You'll have to dial back to around 12-14X if you want to use the lower holdover points. To me, this reticle makes the most sense on their 3-12X44 FFP model.

If you want higher magnification and the ability to hit targets further out, say 600 yards and further, you'll need a scope that can dial in large amounts of elevation. Most scopes in the 6-24X range, including the Viper PST and Bushnell, have a limited amount of internal travel for dialing in elevation. The PST has 65 moa, and the Bushnell has 70. The Sightron beats them both with 100 moa of travel.

Lets say you want to run a 308 out to 1000 yards, a pretty common topic that comes up here often. With most loads, you'll need around 36 moa or more of elevation dialed in from your zero to get the 308 out that far. With something like the PST or Bushnell that are limited to 65-70 moa of total travel, you'd be maxed out on your adjustment and possibly still not be able to center the reticle on target. Running them on a 20 moa sloped base would solve the problem by giving you additional adjustment, but you might still be running the elevation turret very near it's limit.

If you are proficient with using moa for range estimation and dialing, I'd go with the Sightron due to the larger internal adjustment range as well as the better glass quality. Glass quality of the PST and 30mm Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes is nearly identical from what I have seen. Stepping up to the 34mm tube of the HDMR scopes gets you into better glass as well as larger adjustment range, but keep in mind the usefulness of the G2DMR reticle goes downhill as the magnification goes above about 14X.

To muddy the waters a bit more: Have you looked into the Burris XTR II scopes? They pack in a lot of good features and some amazing glass for around the same price as the other scopes mentioned. They also run a 34mm tube allowing for 90 moa of travel on most models. Newer versions are available with moa reticles as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous308 View Post
As far as features I want the best of both worlds but that doesn't exist at my price range. I am trying to get the best scope for my money which is under 1k. Good glass, good turrets, tracks well, good reticle, and good warranty. I would also prefer a zero stop. Illumination I don't really care about. FFP is not currently needed but I would like to learn to range with my scope and eventually use it to compete.
That pretty much describes the XTR II scopes.
Old 03-23-2015, 9:52 PM

Definitely go with the Sightron. I believe they are the best value in scopes. Nothing against a Vortex, but the Sightron has excellent glass and is very repeatable.

You will not be disappointed with the SIII series.
Old 03-24-2015, 4:12 PM

vortex all the way.
vortex has a way better warranty!!!
resale is better if you want to step up to a better scope in the future.
vortex is cheaper. you can buy it use and not worry if there is anything wrong with it because of the VIP warranty.
Old 03-24-2015, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
That pretty much describes the XTR II scopes.
I had purchased a Viper HST but after I got it, I sent it back almost immediately and put an XTR II with the MOA reticle on order. From what I have read, Ill be happy with the decision

PM me for electrical work
Old 03-26-2015, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707electrician View Post
I had purchased a Viper HST but after I got it, I sent it back almost immediately and put an XTR II with the MOA reticle on order. From what I have read, Ill be happy with the decision
I think you did the right thing I recently picked up another XTR II for an SPR build in 2-10X-42. Glass clarity and resolution is excellent, although maybe not quite as good as the 3-15X50 version. Comparing both the 2-10X42 and 3-15X50 versions of the XTR II against a friends 6-24X50 Bushnell Elite Tactical (set to 10X and 15X respectively), the Burris scopes were definitely better in terms of resolution, field of view, brightness, and virtually every other category worth comparing. The only advantage the Bushnell had was the G2DMR reticle. If you could somehow stuff that reticle into the Burris XTR II scopes, it would be pretty much perfect.
Old 03-27-2015, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I think you did the right thing I recently picked up another XTR II for an SPR build in 2-10X-42. Glass clarity and resolution is excellent, although maybe not quite as good as the 3-15X50 version. Comparing both the 2-10X42 and 3-15X50 versions of the XTR II against a friends 6-24X50 Bushnell Elite Tactical (set to 10X and 15X respectively), the Burris scopes were definitely better in terms of resolution, field of view, brightness, and virtually every other category worth comparing. The only advantage the Bushnell had was the G2DMR reticle. If you could somehow stuff that reticle into the Burris XTR II scopes, it would be pretty much perfect.
Im happy to hear that. I ordered the 3-15 for the AR I just built for my girlfriend to shoot and I have been waiting for that one for over a month now but I figured it would be worth the wait. After I see how that one is I may order the 5-25 for my .260 as well

PM me for electrical work