Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-16-2013, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default M14 Scope mount help

Hey all,

I recently bought an LRB M14SA from a fellow calgunner. I had plans to mount a VLTOR CASV-14 rail system on it but the upper portion of the stripper clip guide is broken. I emailed VLTOR and they said that the mount would probably be secure but it still could shift a little bit.

What do y'all think? Is there a way that I could... I don't know, glue it into place to make it more secure?

Old 01-16-2013, 9:35 AM

No... IMHO, you'll need the rear point of contact for the rail to be rear stable. You can try it without the rear attach and see how it zero, if it works... roll with it.

If not, gluing's not going to work so if you must attach the rear piece, drill/tap it into the receiver... but have a good 'smith do it.

My opinion.

dpc
Old 01-16-2013, 9:38 AM
Banned

IMHO, you will lose zero with that rifle.

NO great option
Old 01-16-2013, 9:53 AM

Sorry to here. In my opinion it will likely need to be fixed, you will lose zero, and it could get worse.
If it was a SA M1A, they might fix it under warrantee. But I don't think LRB has the same deal.

Here's another link on the subject.

http://m14forum.com/m14/84938-sa-m1a...e-channel.html
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

is it a Chinese Receiver, never seen one break not even in real Service .................what else is going to break?
Old 01-16-2013, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You can use the old stripper hole left from the roll pin that held the stripper clip guide to hold the mount. Granted it would require the work of a good gunsmith to mount the scope rail and then drill the hole in the rail and then tap the receiver all while aligned but I think that would create a very secure rear mount bolt. Or you can have it drilled straight down into the receiver which may be easier. Either way its gonna require someone who knows WTF they are doing.
You can always call LRB and see if they will repair it under a good will repair.
Old 01-16-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
is it a Chinese Receiver, never seen one break not even in real Service .................what else is going to break?
LRB receivers are machined from SAE 8620 steel bar stock which is heated and hammer forged. I don't think they made them in china.
Old 01-16-2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolax25 View Post
Hey all,

I recently bought an LRB M14SA from a fellow calgunner. I had plans to mount a VLTOR CASV-14 rail system on it but the upper portion of the stripper clip guide is broken. I emailed VLTOR and they said that the mount would probably be secure but it still could shift a little bit.

What do y'all think? Is there a way that I could... I don't know, glue it into place to make it more secure?

if LRB's not gonna warrant that receiver, you can try the bassett mount, they are one of the best made mount around.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_smhi.htm
Old 01-16-2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronColt View Post
if LRB's not gonna warrant that receiver,

And you know they are not gonna warranty it how? Unless you happen to work for their warranty department or the company itself you really have n idea what they will and will not do. I've had plenty of out of warranty repairs or even complete replacements simply because I called and asked.
Old 01-16-2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
And you know they are not gonna warranty it how? Unless you happen to work for their warranty department or the company itself you really have n idea what they will and will not do. I've had plenty of out of warranty repairs or even complete replacements simply because I called and asked.
i have no idea how old the rifle is and i have never dealt with LRB, and I don't know if they have a life time warranty or not, that's why i use the word "if" as if it's not gonna get it fixed, the OP can use another mount as an option. did I offend you in any way???? maybe you can call for the OP and help him out.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM

if you don't have the stripper clip guide mount, try this:

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html

I've got one on one of my M14SAs, and it seems to be pretty secure.
Old 01-17-2013, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronColt View Post
i have no idea how old the rifle is and i have never dealt with LRB, and I don't know if they have a life time warranty or not, that's why i use the word "if" as if it's not gonna get it fixed, the OP can use another mount as an option. did I offend you in any way???? maybe you can call for the OP and help him out.
No I'm not offended I was simply stating that no one has a
idea what a company will and will not do till you ask. I don't see why you are getting so pissy over a statement. Relax
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Bet whomever broke it did so by trying to hammer the stripper clip guide off in the wrong direction.

I would try a bassett mount and a lightweight (16oz) scope like a leupold VX-R or Mark AR Mod 1. Have heard that basset mounts aren't as reliable with heavy 1.5-2+ pound scopes.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to shoot LRB an email first and work from there. I'll keep y'all informed. Hopefully they'll be nice about it.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

For a second I thought the receiver was cracked by the bolt release. If LRB won't help you, might be a great excuse to get a SEI receiver.
Old 01-17-2013, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
For a second I thought the receiver was cracked by the bolt release. If LRB won't help you, might be a great excuse to get a SEI receiver.
Haha, I just might. Maybe I'll get a separate rifle. I think I've caught the M14 bug... uh oh.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM

I have heard good things about the SEI scope mount. I was thinking about putting one on my M1A down the line. Has anyone had good experiences with the smith scope mount?
Old 01-18-2013, 2:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPidgeon View Post
if you don't have the stripper clip guide mount, try this:

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html

I've got one on one of my M14SAs, and it seems to be pretty secure.
+1

The CASM from M14.CA is rock solid and it doesn't require the stripper clip guide.

Old 01-23-2013, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolax25 View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to shoot LRB an email first and work from there. I'll keep y'all informed. Hopefully they'll be nice about it.
So, what did LRB have to say?