Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Default 1911 frame and slide fitted question

Considering everything else are pretty much equal, is it possible to tell one has better frame to slide fitted than another by just looking at this?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2017, 11:55 AM

No.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM

don't mean to be evasive, however we do not have enough information on only one view.

Here's just two aspects to consider, front of the slide fit could be very loose, too tight or off center for example. Similarly the quality of of the slide gliding on the frame rail could be very smooth or rough.

Better can also mean very different things....some prefer a bit of a looser fit for dirty/combat/carry situations, while for controlled settings such as a collectors object or slow fire bullseye applications a near seamless fit might be advocated by some.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 12-28-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Old 12-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Youíd have to go hands on. Try lifting the front, then push side to side. A properly fitted barrel will also help lock up a less than perfectly fitted slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all your responses. Sorry, i am a beginner and have lots to learn. Both have no rattle when shake. Slides have no movement or very minimal that i don't notice any, from side to side. No movement between barrel, bushing and slide. No play in barrel locking when i pushed down. Those are all the things that i know off to check. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2017, 1:25 PM

I guess at the end of the day, if they cycle nicely, if they feel like quality and they're built by a reputable and experienced builder then more than likely they're good to go. If you have the opportunity to shoot them, so much the better. That's not always possible.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

the tighter the fit the finickier the gun

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default 1911 frame and slide fitted question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post

If properly fitted this is simply just not true. This is an Internet myth that has been passed around for as long as I can remember but there is no actual truth behind it.

These guns actually thrive on tighter tolerances because they are so mechanically complex the looser tolerance fittings are what causes the problems with them. Which is why a properly custom built gun is so reliable compared to a factory done.

Notice I use the term properly a lot. We get guns in all the time that the frame rails are not parallel so if you donít cut them truly parallel to each other and itís tighter in one spot then another and that slide tries to slide into that tighter spot of course it will hang up. But thatís where proper machining comes into play. Then you need to allow the slide relief once itís out of battery so there is room to move which is neglected sometimes when doing a slide you frame fit.

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 01-12-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post
If properly fitted this is simply just not true. This is an Internet myth that has been passed around for as long as I can remember but there is no actual truth behind it.

These guns actually thrive on tighter tolerances because they are so mechanically complex the looser tolerance fittings are what causes the problems with them. Which is why a properly custom built gun is so reliable compared to a factory done.
Agreed. However, many myths have some basis in fact. A properly fitted 1911 essentially means hand fitted, which virtually all production guns aren't. The problem is that people think that tighter is better, even when they are buying a non-hand fitted production gun. For a production gun that isn't hand fitted (i.e. almost all of them), a looser fit may be less finicky than a tighter one, since they may not be properly machined or slightly out-of-spec. So the "myth" it's not entirely false when talking about production guns.
Old 01-12-2018, 3:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo2112 View Post
Agreed. However, many myths have some basis in fact. A properly fitted 1911 essentially means hand fitted, which virtually all production guns aren't. The problem is that people think that tighter is better, even when they are buying a non-hand fitted production gun. For a production gun that isn't hand fitted (i.e. almost all of them), a looser fit may be less finicky than a tighter one, since they may not be properly machined or slightly out-of-spec. So the "myth" it's not entirely false when talking about production guns.

We were doing a slide to frame fit yesterday that the slide wasnít parallel side to side. So of course the further back the slide slid the tighter it got. First step was to machine the slide parallel. This would be a good case in point on a tighter production gun like youíre talking about.

Old 01-12-2018, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Given all else equal, I'd probably get the one on the left- the frame to slide contour in the back *looks* better, and the matte hammer looks better.
Old 01-12-2018, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post

Notice I use the term properly a lot. We get guns in all the time that the frame rails are not parallel so if you donít cut them truly parallel to each other and itís tighter in one spot then another and that slide tries to slide into that tighter spot of course it will hang up. But thatís where proper machining comes into play. Then you need to allow the slide relief once itís out of battery so there is room to move which is neglected sometimes when doing a slide you frame fit.

Weird, I have seen so many super tight and smooth 1911 and 2011 guns that would just not run if they were dirty at all. Literally cleaned before every match, and I know at least one shooter who would clean his gun during a match if there were more than 5 stages. The gun I just finished is on the tight side, and you can definitely feel when it has gotten a bit dirty. I mean the slide was visibly slower going into battery when chambering the first round but thus far a simple shot of oil has gotten me through until I could clean it. I kind of feel like the Black Nitride coating has a lot to do with that.
Will admit on am on the odd end of the stick, since I shoot a lot in all sorts of environments and weather, from the moon dust at St George to the red clay of TN/Georgia and everything in between. I have however noticed other guns which did in fact start having issues because they were on the dirty side of clean, but I have no real information other than they were tight tolerance raceguns.

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 02-03-2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
You have never shot a bob chow or less baer.