Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-10-2018, 7:35 PM

Default Do people pay to slick up the action of Henry lever guns?

I got excited about the Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 magnum and found one at a local gun shop. It loved the way it looked and it felt good to hold. But the lever action felt surprisingly clunky. I know that many people who buy CZ pistols send them to Cajun Gun Works to improve the trigger and the internals of their pistols. If there an equivalent for Henry lever action guns? I lost about 85% of my interest in the Henry when I worked the lever action because it felt stiff, awkward and clunky. I admit that I have no experience with lever guns, or how well they might work once broken in.
Old 01-10-2018, 9:04 PM

I don't have one myself, but the cowboy action guys slick up lever guns all the time. Even shorten the throw of the lever.

What are you asking? For a recommendation on where to have the work done or whether it's considered tasteful to slick up a lever gun?
Old 01-10-2018, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are gunsmiths that specialize in slicking up lever actions for the cowboy action shooting crowd.
I don't know if they specifically work on Henry models or not, but if you seek out the gunsmith and ask them which actions can be made to run the slickest, that will go a long way towards you picking the smoothest running design before you even buy one.

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/ is the first one that comes to mind.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-10-2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
I don't have one myself, but the cowboy action guys slick up lever guns all the time. Even shorten the throw of the lever.

What are you asking? For a recommendation on where to have the work done or whether it's considered tasteful to slick up a lever gun?
I was actually asking because I was thinking of buying either a pump action shotgun or a lever action gun for home defense (and fun at the range); this being California and most military-looking rifles being outlawed and all. It wouldn't be distasteful to me so long as it didn't affect the outward appearance of the gun.
Old 01-10-2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
There are gunsmiths that specialize in slicking up lever actions for the cowboy action shooting crowd.
I don't know if they specifically work on Henry models or not, but if you seek out the gunsmith and ask them which actions can be made to run the slickest, that will go a long way towards you picking the smoothest running design before you even buy one.

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/ is the first one that comes to mind.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-10-2018, 9:18 PM

Work the action as you watch your favorite reruns of The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, and Wagon Train on the boob tube. You'll slick it up in no time.
I'd be cautious of the Cowboy and Indian Store. I took a 1st generation Colt there for some work and it was returned without the ejector housing. I finally succeeded in convincing them it was on the revolver when they took possession of it. They found it in short order.
Jon

Last edited by musketjon; 01-10-2018 at 9:24 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
I got excited about the Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 magnum and found one at a local gun shop. It loved the way it looked and it felt good to hold. But the lever action felt surprisingly clunky. I know that many people who buy CZ pistols send them to Cajun Gun Works to improve the trigger and the internals of their pistols. If there an equivalent for Henry lever action guns? I lost about 85% of my interest in the Henry when I worked the lever action because it felt stiff, awkward and clunky. I admit that I have no experience with lever guns, or how well they might work once broken in.
The fit and feel is like no other.
Work the action over and over.
Break it in to slickness.

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index...ig-boy-rifles/

"As far as gunsmiths not working on them that's a yes and a no. If something breaks, obviously a gunsmith who is competent will try to help you out. But, there are no speed kits for these guns. A little work with an Arkansas stone is about all you can do to them. Just polish up the contact points on the lever, hammer, and bolt and that will make quite a bit of difference. "

Last edited by MachineGuntongue; 01-10-2018 at 10:41 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 4:38 PM

OP, I’ve worked the actions on a bunch of new Henry’s and they were a good deal slicker than any new Marlin manufactured in the past few years. Maybe it’s your newness to lever guns that is causing you to think that way. And yes, by working the action while watching TV you will get it even smoother in a short amount of time.
Old 01-11-2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
OP, I’ve worked the actions on a bunch of new Henry’s and they were a good deal slicker than any new Marlin manufactured in the past few years. Maybe it’s your newness to lever guns that is causing you to think that way. And yes, by working the action while watching TV you will get it even smoother in a short amount of time.
Ditto... your just new to levers. Henry’s out of the box are known to be the slickest available.
Old 01-11-2018, 6:23 PM

Between my pappy and I we have quite a few Henry's in various calibers, including the .357 Magnum. Have yet to run across one that had anything but a smooth action. That also includes my new Henry Original that I checked out today (pickup next week). Like the others have said working the action should help to smooth it out. Question, is this a new Henry or used that you picked up?
Old 01-11-2018, 9:13 PM

Hmmm... Well it was a brand new Henry Big Boy Steel .357 that I handled. It didn't feel slick to me, but you all might be right it could be that I just don't know how to work the lever action. Maybe I'll take another look at one.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Work the action as you watch your favorite reruns of The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, and Wagon Train on the boob tube. You'll slick it up in no time.
I'd be cautious of the Cowboy and Indian Store. I took a 1st generation Colt there for some work and it was returned without the ejector housing. I finally succeeded in convincing them it was on the revolver when they took possession of it. They found it in short order.
Jon
The rifleman is my favorite black and white classic. In particular there is a great episode where a new sheriff bans guns within the town limits. It goes as expected and would be a great episode for the current CA climate.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:31 AM

Straight from the box is FAR different from cleaning out the packing grease and running a couple hundred shells through it - but we have to warn you, you’ll be a changed man!
Old 01-12-2018, 7:37 AM

My new Henry's a .44 mag. in brass with a big loop lever and the other a
.45-70 also in brass with a big loop lever both had the smoothest action. Both of mine were brand new in the box and not an on display rifle. That is why I never buy anything that was on display. You sure do not know what damage they could have done from improper handling.

Starslinger did they have a new .357 Henry in box?
Old 01-12-2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmhoshino View Post
My new Henry's a .44 mag. in brass with a big loop lever and the other a
.45-70 also in brass with a big loop lever both had the smoothest action. Both of mine were brand new in the box and not an on display rifle. That is why I never buy anything that was on display. You sure do not know what damage they could have done from improper handling.

Starslinger did they have a new .357 Henry in box?
I didn't ask if they had a new one in a box, hmhoshino. I guess I shouldn't base all my feelings regarding lever action guns upon handling a single rifle.
Old 01-12-2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
I was actually asking because I was thinking of buying either a pump action shotgun or a lever action gun for home defense (and fun at the range); this being California and most military-looking rifles being outlawed and all. It wouldn't be distasteful to me so long as it didn't affect the outward appearance of the gun.
Here ya go: http://www.mossberg.com/product/464-...n-rifle-41026/

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-14-2018, 6:39 PM

If you want a - full race - lever action you need to get a Uberti 1873 and forget all the rest !

In second place comes the Marlin 1894 (JM not new one !)

And third the Rossi 92

No one - running it like Deuce in the video below - uses a Heny - no one !

This is how fast we run them in CAS !

Check it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQAe1-5Fki0

Last edited by Kingair001; 01-14-2018 at 6:41 PM..
Old 01-14-2018, 6:46 PM

Impressive work in that video!