Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:01 AM

Default New G17 slide and red dot

Want to try and get into red dots on some of my pistols and see if I like it. Eyes are getting up there in age and thought be smart to start with one of the cheaper options and get a new slide for my G17. Probably going with the Aim Surplus W3 slide with RMR cut.

Question, what red dot you recommend for the first time pistol red dot shooter?
I am a pretty proficient shooter and for now they will only go on purely range guns, no CCWs. I see the Vulcan that has the circle around the dot to help you find it, but so many others. Any recommendations? TIA...
Old 05-30-2023, 11:27 AM

If your budget is about $300, get a holosun. If it's about $100, ade. If it's $500+ you can get the huge window competition optics.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpeal View Post
Probably going with the Aim Surplus W3 slide with RMR cut.
If you are getting a slide with rmr cut then choose dust that use that same footprint? trijicon rmr or sro, holosun 507c or 407c are common choices

There are other lower priced ones like veridian and swampfox

Just my $0.02 but get an sro. Nice glass, large window, and emitter seems better protected from glare (like if you are shooting with the sun right in front of you at around 45 degrees overhead?. A dot like holosun can show many ?dots? from the glare/reflection off the emitter but sro seems a lot less sensitive) and dot is daylight bright (dot like veridian looked washed out in the bright sun)
Old 05-30-2023, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Basically, what I did was find a pre cut slide on Brownells.com and adjusted my Red Dot choices accordingly (holosun).

What I found out I don't like about the Holosun is the auto brightness while at the range.

See, if I am under cover of shade, the auto brightness is lower, but then it's hard to see the target when its out in the bright sun.

Just keep that in mind.
Old 05-30-2023, 2:53 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I like the Holosun HE507 from Primary Arms with the Vulcan ACSS reticle:

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...vulcan-reticle
https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...t-acss-reticle

It's got this "big circle" that really helps with "finding the dot" while you're adapting.

Once you get the hang of finding the dot, you can turn off the big circle if you don't like it.

I like green, but they come in red, too.

$279 with Mil/LEO pricing (Green)
$244 with Mil/LEO pricing (Red)
Old 05-30-2023, 9:23 PM

If you are getting an RMR cut slide, go with a Holosun as your first red dot. Just make sure you don't buy the wrong optic with the wrong footprint.

If it's not for carry/duty use, get one of these:https://holosun.com/products/reflex-...hs507comp.html
Old 05-31-2023, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
If you are getting an RMR cut slide, go with a Holosun as your first red dot. Just make sure you don't buy the wrong optic with the wrong footprint.

If it's not for carry/duty use, get one of these:https://holosun.com/products/reflex-...hs507comp.html
Why would that optic not be good for duty/carry use?

Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF
Old 05-31-2023, 8:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblax619 View Post
It?s big, for me the thing that prints the most with appendix carry is the optic.
Old 05-31-2023, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

I really like the Holosuns with the ACSS reticle. I have one on my carry postil and one on one of my G17's. The other G17 has a Holosun (non-ACSS reticle). I enjoy both, but the ACSS reticle really shines when you're shooting while moving, shooting off-axis and not jsut standing stationary and facing your target, etc. Allows for really fast correction of your not seeing your dot right away.

Old 05-31-2023, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think there is growing evidence that holosun and the higher quality made in China are ?good enough? these days

but if someone else is buying, I will ask for acro p2 if I want a super tough and enclosed dot, or sro or romeo3xl for an open carry competition type dot
Old 05-31-2023, 9:34 PM

Quote:
That particular optic is geared towards Competition shooters as the window is HUUUUUGE!

The most prominent Carry Optics red dots are the Trijicon SRO, Leupold Deltapoint Pro, the C-more RTS2, and the Romeo 3 Max/Romeo 3 XL. All these optics are massive, have top or side-load battery compartments and run off of 2032s. They are all not known for being very durable as well.

Holosun's competition red dot is the first real challenger to the Trijicon SRO that uses the RMR footprint. The adjustable reticle is also unique and potentially gives them a leg up over so many other optics.
Old 05-31-2023, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpeal View Post
Want to try and get into red dots on some of my pistols and see if I like it. Eyes are getting up there in age and thought be smart to start with one of the cheaper options and get a new slide for my G17. Probably going with the Aim Surplus W3 slide with RMR cut.

Question, what red dot you recommend for the first time pistol red dot shooter?
I am a pretty proficient shooter and for now they will only go on purely range guns, no CCWs. I see the Vulcan that has the circle around the dot to help you find it, but so many others. Any recommendations? TIA...
Hit me up if you decide to go holosun. Usually have a few extras on hand for testing and evaluation
Old 05-31-2023, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Basically, what I did was find a pre cut slide on Brownells.com and adjusted my Red Dot choices accordingly (holosun).

What I found out I don't like about the Holosun is the auto brightness while at the range.

See, if I am under cover of shade, the auto brightness is lower, but then it's hard to see the target when its out in the bright sun.

Just keep that in mind.

The scs models fix this issue. Otherwise I use manual adjaut
Old 05-31-2023, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics.../dp/B08L4P5C8R

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 06-01-2023, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

If you're going with a Holosun, I'd highly recommend witnessing marking the battery tray screw with nail polish/etc and checking it often. They are known to loosen, fall off into outer space and eject the battery onto the deck rendering your RDS inoperable if it's in battery only/lock mode.

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"
Old 06-01-2023, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
If you're going with a Holosun, I'd highly recommend witnessing marking the battery tray screw with nail polish/etc and checking it often. They are known to loosen, fall off into outer space and eject the battery onto the deck rendering your RDS inoperable if it's in battery only/lock mode.
Interesting. I have 5 Holosun red dots. One on a shotgun, one on an AR, and three on pistols. All have been through multi-day classes and never had that happen on any of them. I'll definitely be checking them now and marking them.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 06-03-2023 at 2:11 PM..