Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up San Luis Obispo

UPDATE (2017 June 07): It appears that Sheriff Parkinson has liberalized issuance. How much has yet to be determined. If you are a law-abiding gun owner who desires a CCW you should now seriously consider applying. See my posts #383 & 386. — “Paladin”

Last edited by QuarterBoreGunner; 06-13-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Another month and still no change for the better (or at all).

The primary for SLO sheriff is in just over 12 months from now and the deadline for candidates is in ~9 months.
"Change CGNers can believe in" has come to SLO!

1) The SO has gone to online applications. After any teething problems get sorted out, this should streamline and speed up both initial and renewal applications.

2) The SO requires 3 letter of recommendation. The CCW FAQs pdf does not specify if the 3 must live in SLO Co.

Quote:
NEW applicants: Scan a copy of at least 3 signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives. The letters do not need to be lengthy, but do need to speak to your character. All letters must include contact information for the person providing the reference. Please include Concealed Carry Weapon Permit Application as a heading on each letter. Letter templates are not accepted.
More at:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...SO/CCW_FAQ.pdf

3) From the CCW "Start" page (bolding added):
Quote:
Concealed Carry Weapon License Requirements: must meet ALL requirements

Completing the Application

Answering all the questions on this standard application does not guarantee the issuance of a Concealed Carry Weapon license. The determination whether to issue the license is at the discretion of the licensing authority. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 26160, each licensing authority will have a written policy summarizing their requirements for issuance of a Concealed Carry Weapon license. In addition, prior to issuing a Concealed Carry Weapon license, the state statutes require proof that:

The applicant is of good moral character;
Good cause exists to issue the Concealed Carry Weapon license;
The applicant meets residence requirements; and
The course of training prescribed by the licensing authority has been completed.

The following pages include standardized questions to determine whether a Concealed Carry Weapon license shall be issued.

The applicant will certify under penalty of perjury that all answers provided in the application are true and correct to the best of their knowledge and belief. The applicant will also acknowledge that information disclosed on this application may be subject to public disclosure.

<snip>

Who May be Issued a License

The licensing authority specified in Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 (a Sheriff or the Chief or other head of a municipal police department) may issue a license to persons who are of good moral character, who have completed a course of training, and have good cause for issuance of a Concealed Carry Weapon license. All applicants for a Concealed Carry Weapon license will be fingerprinted and state and federal records will be checked to determine if they are eligible to possess firearms. Click here to view all categories that would prohibit a person from possessing firearms and being granted a Concealed Carry Weapon license.

<snip>

Prior to Filling Out This Application

<snip>

Confirm that each firearm (maximum of 2) you are listing on your Concealed Carry Weapon license is registered to you or your spouse/registered domestic partner. The firearm cannot be registered to any other family member. The firearm also cannot be registered as a “single shot”.
More at:
https://sloca.permitium.com/ccw/start

While the SO does not give any idea of what passes for GC, at least they've eliminated the highly restrictive GC language from the previous materials.

It sucks that you can only have 2 guns on your CCW. Quite often, someone will have a primary and a BUG (or a larger and smaller handgun that they alternate between carrying, depending upon perceived risk, weather, appropriate dress, etc), and if you end up using one in a shooting (or just have to have some work done on it), you won't be able to carry an equivalent until you get it back, possibly months later. You'll be stuck EDCing whatever the 2nd gun on your CCW is. Plus, remember the saying: "Two is one and one is none." Murphy's Law rules during combat.

4) The new FAQs pdf (link above) also says,

Quote:
What are the basic requirements to obtain a CCW license?

You must meet Residency, Character and Cause requirements per CA Penal Code Section 26150. You will be required to complete the application completely and honestly, pass a Range Qualification course of fire and the required amount of training per San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s policy.
Other relevant (to GC) FAQs are:

Quote:
What number do I call if I have any questions regarding my CCW license application?

You can call the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Permit Office Monday‐Thursday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. They can be reached at 800‐781‐4575

Can I appeal a denial of a CCW license?

There is no official appeal process. The decision was based on information that you provide in your application or revealed in the background.
BOTTOM LINE: Going online with apps is great: it should save the applicant time and effort and save the SO time, money and effort.

But the real issue for the vast majority of law-abiding residents in SLO Co is the Good Cause standard. While on the bright side the SO materials no longer have the restrictive language, that does NOT mean the SLO sheriff has liberalized his GC standard. But since other posters have suggested the sheriff is liberalizing issuance and since the SO has made these positive changes, I encourage SLO residents who want a CCW to look into applying. There are still no guarantees you won't be shot down for insufficient/lack of GC, but the expense is minimal up to that point. If I lived in SLO Co, I'd now give it a shot.

Anyone who does apply, be sure to keep notes about how the process goes so that once you're approved/denied, you'll be able to let the rest of us know how it went. This will help other GGs decide whether to apply or not and also help others to decide who to vote for as sheriff in 2018....

Last edited by Paladin; 06-07-2017 at 7:57 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Change CGNers can believe in" has come to SLO!

1) The SO has gone to online applications. After any teething problems get sorted out, this should streamline and speed up both initial and renewal applications.

2) The SO requires 3 letter of recommendation. The CCW FAQs pdf does not specify if the 3 must live in SLO Co.

More at:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...SO/CCW_FAQ.pdf

3) From the CCW "Start" page (bolding added):
More at:
https://sloca.permitium.com/ccw/start

While the SO does not give any idea of what passes for GC, at least they've eliminated the highly restrictive GC language from the previous materials.

It sucks that you can only have 2 guns on your CCW. Quite often, someone will have a primary and a BUG (or a larger and smaller handgun that they alternate between carrying, depending upon perceived risk, weather, appropriate dress, etc), and if you end up using one in a shooting (or just have to have some work done on it), you won't be able to carry an equivalent until you get it back, possibly months later. You'll be stuck EDCing whatever the 2nd gun on your CCW is.

4) The new FAQs pdf (link above) also says,

Other relevant (to GC) FAQs are:

BOTTOM LINE: Going online with apps is great: it should save the applicant time and effort and save the SO time, money and effort.

But the real issue for the vast majority of law-abiding residents in SLO Co is the Good Cause standard. While on the bright side the SO materials no longer have the restrictive language, that does NOT mean the SLO sheriff has liberalized his GC standard. But since other posters have suggested the sheriff is liberalizing issuance and since the SO has made these positive changes, I encourage SLO residents who want a CCW to look into applying. There are still no guarantees you won't be shot down for insufficient/lack of GC, but the expense is minimal up to that point. If I lived in SLO Co, I'd now give it a shot.

Anyone who does apply, be sure to keep notes about how the process goes so that once you're approved/denied, you'll be able to let the rest of us know how it went. This will help other GGs decide whether to apply or not and also help others to decide who to vote for as sheriff in 2018....
From personal experience , the three letters of recommendation do not have to be from SLO residents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

An idea struck me.

If the SLO sheriff has broadened acceptable GC and wants to issue more CCWs, quite often the best sources of info to verify/clarify that (outside of the SO) are the people he accepts for doing CCW training & qualification test.

I encourage some SLO folk to contact each of the below and ask them if they think the sheriff has liberalized issuance and if so, how far? IOW, does the average law-abiding gun owner, who isn't a jeweler, gold dealer, cash rent collector, etc, have a decent chance of getting issued? You can even suggest they make a post in this thread, if they feel like it, or make a thread advertising their classes at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=212

Or you can post the bottom line of what they said so other SLO law-abiding folk will have an idea if applying is worth trying.

Remember: the more folks CCWing, the better the odds some other CCWer will come across a BG before that BG comes across you!

Quote:
Permits Office

Approved Training Sites

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office Approved CCW Qualification Vendors (Alphabetical)

Advantage Personal Defense & Tactics
Ian McKnight
450 15th St. Los Osos, CA 93402
(805) 310‐3003

Range Masters
11 South Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 545‐0322 e‐mail: rangemasters@sbcglobal.net

The Gun School Atascadero & Santa Maria
Danny R. Wells
(559) 936‐9909 e‐mail: dan@thegunschool.com
https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...nstructors.pdf

Last edited by Paladin; 06-05-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

I just realized something else no longer a part of the sheriff's CCW app information: the requirement of a prior denial by your CoP if you live in an issuing city in SLO.

So, Sheriff Parkinson has: (1) put the CCW application process online; (2) removed the prior denial requirement for residents of issuing cities; and, most importantly, (3) removed the extremely restrictive GC description from the application materials.

I'm now thinking Sheriff Parkinson has really had a change of heart about CCWs and has made a change of policy. I've recommended to baggss, the current maker of the CA CCW Good Cause County Map, that SLO be changed from Yellow to Light Green for the 2017 July update.

I've also requested a Mod on this forum change this SLO County thread's symbol to Thumbs Up, edit the OP to refer to this post, and to remove the big quote from the sheriff's old CCW policy.

Hopefully, those 2 changes by us will increase the number of law-abiding folk applying for and getting issued CCWs in SLO Co.

N.B. This could all be a mistake. It could be that the sheriff in fact has not liberalized issuance. In that case: (1) I'll just ask a Mod to change the subject line symbol and edit the OP back again. (2) baggss can just change SLO back to yellow again with the 2018 January update. (3) Until then, the map, as we've always said, can easily be off by 1 color, one way or the other, but not by 2 colors.

But, hopefully, we're not being fooled, and real change has arrived in SLO!

Last edited by Paladin; 06-08-2017 at 2:27 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 8:37 PM

Old 06-13-2017, 9:04 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm now thinking Sheriff Parkinson has really had a change of heart about CCWs and has made a change of policy. I've recommended to baggss, the current maker of the CA CCW Good Cause County Map, that SLO be changed from Yellow to Light Green for the 2017 July update.
Excellent!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Their online service is very good. I just did a modification via iPhone. Changing guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For those who want to see the Good Cause map with SLO now "light green":

Old 12-11-2017, 5:59 AM

Default San Luis Obispo

Hi Guys. Long time no talk. Since my last post I’ve moved my family from OC to the Central Coast, residing in SLO county. Over the weekend while visiting a gun store in AG, I was speaking to a customer who was interested in an M&P 9mm Shield. Owning an M&P 40 myself, I offered my input and endorsement.

Being that the Shield is compact, I surmised. that the gun was for CCW, which as we discussed further turned out to be the case. I mentioned having held a permit many years ago myself while living out of state, but since moving back CA, I surrendered all hope of ever obtaining one because so few applications for CCW are approved.

Then he said, “ You should apply. I got mine. It was easy.” or something to that affect. That stunned me. We didn’t really go in to what he did for a living or what his good cause was to be issued a CCW as it wasn’t the time or place standing in the middle of a gun store while he was trying to wrap things up with the store owner.

Still...that conversation has been on my mind and has prompted me to post this question: Has there been any recent evidence, within the last month or so that CCW issuance has changed within SLO county? I’m tempted to apply after sitting on the sidelines so many years, but I’d like to hear from some of our members about recent experience before taking that step. After Peralta I had a glimmer of hope that self defense would be accepted for Good Cause, but to my dismay, I’ve read that is mostly not the case. Unless you happen to live in Fresno or a handful of other counties.

Last edited by Tango-Alpha; 12-11-2017 at 6:08 AM..
Old 12-11-2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango-Alpha View Post
Hi Guys. Long time no talk. Since my last post I’ve moved my family from OC to the Central Coast, residing in SLO county. Over the weekend while visiting a gun store in AG, I was speaking to a customer who was interested in an M&P 9mm Shield. Owning an M&P 40 myself, I offered my input and endorsement.

Being that the Shield is compact, I surmised. that the gun was for CCW, which as we discussed further turned out to be the case. I mentioned having held a permit many years ago myself while living out of state, but since moving back CA, I surrendered all hope of ever obtaining one because so few applications for CCW are approved.

Then he said, “ You should apply. I got mine. It was easy.” or something to that affect. That stunned me. We didn’t really go in to what he did for a living or what his good cause was to be issued a CCW as it wasn’t the time or place standing in the middle of a gun store while he was trying to wrap things up with the store owner.

Still...that conversation has been on my mind and has prompted me to post this question: Has there been any recent evidence, within the last month or so that CCW issuance has changed within SLO county? I’m tempted to apply after sitting on the sidelines so many years, but I’d like to hear from some of our members about recent experience before taking that step. After Peralta I had a glimmer of hope that self defense would be accepted for Good Cause, but to my dismay, I’ve read that is mostly not the case. Unless you happen to live in Fresno or a handful of other counties.

You didn't have one while living in OC? They pretty much switched to shall issue 2 years ago after peruta. I know a few in AG with them, go for it. If you are out in the unincorporated area of town its a given. Self defense should be passable in the city itself as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
You didn't have one while living in OC? They pretty much switched to shall issue 2 years ago after peruta. I know a few in AG with them, go for it. If you are out in the unincorporated area of town its a given. Self defense should be passable in the city itself as well.

Good to know. That’s very helpful. Thanks. I also live in AG, so I feel somewhat encouraged your words. Tell me, since I live in AG, wild I apply through AGPD or SLO county Sheriff? In OC, the cities deferred to OCSD. So I’m not sure if the same applies here.

Old 12-11-2017, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Good to know. That’s very helpful. Thanks. I also live in AG, so I feel somewhat encouraged your words. Tell me, since I live in AG, wild I apply through AGPD or SLO county Sheriff? In OC, the cities deferred to OCSD. So I’m not sure if the same applies here.

Someone with more knowledge on that detail will br along shortly im sure. I looked into it when I was working at the SLO costco since there's a carve out for "spending the majority of your time in the county" even though I live in Santa Maria in SB county. No dice. But I would think you can call the sheriffs office and just ask who you are applying to first. Goes fairly quickly if you read the last 6 or 7 pages on here.

Old 12-11-2017, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Someone with more knowledge on that detail will br along shortly im sure. I looked into it when I was working at the SLO costco since there's a carve out for "spending the majority of your time in the county" even though I live in Santa Maria in SB county. No dice. But I would think you can call the sheriffs office and just ask who you are applying to first. Goes fairly quickly if you read the last 6 or 7 pages on here.

UPDATE: First thank you for responding to my question and most of all, for addressing it so quickly. Much appreciated!

Quick update...I stopped in at AGPD to ask a couple questions and as it turns out, because I live in a more rural part of Arroyo Grande (up on the Mesa overlooking the valley), which is not within AGPD’s six mile city radius, I was informed that I would have to apply through to the SLO Sheriff Dept. At least now I know where to begin.

I’m not sure whether this is a good thing or not or whether my chances are any better with SLO Sheriff vs. AGPD.

On a completely unrelated note altogether, the woman at AGPD working at the front desk was very polite, knowledgeable and helpful in answering many of my questions and might I add...very easy on the eyes. She was about my age and had a very pleasant disposition. Gotta admit, if I wasn’t a married man...I’d would definitely try to get to know her better. Be that as it may, nice to know the local PD is so well represented.

Old 12-11-2017, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
UPDATE: First thank you for responding to my question and most of all, for addressing it so quickly. Much appreciated!

Quick update...I stopped in at AGPD to ask a couple questions and as it turns out, because I live in a more rural part of Arroyo Grande (up on the Mesa overlooking the valley), which is not within AGPD’s six mile city radius, I was informed that I would have to apply through to the SLO Sheriff Dept. At least now I know where to begin.

I’m not sure whether this is a good thing or not or whether my chances are any better with SLO Sheriff vs. AGPD.

On a completely unrelated note altogether, the woman at AGPD working at the front desk was very polite, knowledgeable and helpful in answering many of my questions and might I add...very easy on the eyes. She was about my age and had a very pleasant disposition. Gotta admit, if I wasn’t a married man...I’d would definitely try to get to know her better. Be that as it may, nice to know the local PD is so well represented.

Your chances are MUCH higher with SLO Sheriff than with AGPD. I live in a city nearby you, and had to be denied by the Chief first, before going to the Sheriff and being granted my CCW. As far as I have heard, AGPD does not issue very many CCW's. You lucked out.
Old 12-11-2017, 7:06 PM

Default San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Your chances are MUCH higher with SLO Sheriff than with AGPD. I live in a city nearby you, and had to be denied by the Chief first, before going to the Sheriff and being granted my CCW. As far as I have heard, AGPD does not issue very many CCW's. You lucked out.

Well...Hello then their neighbor! That’s certainly encouraging news.

May we discuss your GC? Or if you’re not comfortable discussing here, could we talk via IM or email?

To your knowledge, is the Sheriff willing to consider self protection or does it follow along the lines of what other departments require? Eg....business owner, handles large sums of money or valuables, etc.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

T-A, be sure to read the last 3 pages (this page included), of posts in this thread. That should give you a good idea of what's gone on/changed in SLO Co. SO re. CCWs.

Be sure to let us know at the end (after approval/denial) how things went.
Old 12-12-2017, 8:23 AM

Yes and yes.

With SLO Co's new online applicatoin process, I'm curious how this will go. Also, allegedly county is issuing rigid card style permits now versus the paper ones.
Old 12-14-2017, 4:52 AM

Quote:
T-A, be sure to read the last 3 pages (this page included), of posts in this thread. That should give you a good idea of what's gone on/changed in SLO Co. SO re. CCWs.

Be sure to let us know at the end (after approval/denial) how things went.

Excellent advice. I’ll go back and read what I may have missed. I’ve received much encouragement from another forum member as well which I greatly appreciate.

Old 12-14-2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumT View Post
Yes and yes.

With SLO Co's new online applicatoin process, I'm curious how this will go. Also, allegedly county is issuing rigid card style permits now versus the paper ones.

Well I’m feeling very encouraged by the feedback I’ve been receiving, so I’ll let you all know how it turns out.

Old 12-24-2017, 9:16 AM

Talking I received my CCW in SLO county and it was EASY!

1. Second week of Sept. 2017: Completed online application, submitted initial payment of $116.58 and scheduled interview appointment (first available was a month out).

2. Next day I called Rangemaster in SLO and scheduled my CCW class. ***DO this well in advance because depending on when you call the next class could be a month out, like mine was.

3. I week later I received an email stating that "we are processing your request for a CCW permit, in order to continue the process we will need a More Detailed Cause Statement".
***THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Many on this thread seem to think that it is OK to give out BAD advice or they are AFRAID of saying too much so they limit their responses. That is both lame and stupid. I am not going to go into that any further. Now, what you NEED to do is to have a very thorough, exhaustive and well written Good Cause Statement. Listing self defense because you live in a bad area will not suffice. I would take as much time as you need to think carefully and list at LEAST 5 reasons why you need a CCW and write a brief paragraph for explaining each reason.
***I am not listing my Good Cause Statement here because, well, they apply to me not to you. But if you want ask my OPINION of YOUR statement then just PM me.
After I did that and resubmitted online - the Sheriffs office had nothing more to say about my Good Cause Statement.

4. Second week in Oct. 2017: Took and passed the CCW class (a week before my interview with the SLO Sheriffs Dept.)

5. Third week in Oct. 2017: CCW interview and LiveScan fingerprinting at SLO County Sheriffs Dept on HWY 1. I arrived dressed business casual. The interviewer greeted me and I shook their hand. We talked about the CCW class I took and what I learned, the most important lesson being that I would ONLY use my weapon as a LAST RESORT. If I can run away then I will. We reviewed my Good Cause Statement and discussed each reason.
Then I was asked what I would do in certain situation like, "What do you do when pulled over by the police while carrying." "Where can you NOT carry.", etc.
That was the first 30 minutes. The last 15 minutes was spent discussing my holster, carry method, the importance of FULLY concealing your weapon and not printing or accidentally brandishing. That was it. I went home feeling confident because I had prepared BEFORE the interview on a full range of topics.

6. Second week in Nov. 2017. Received email stating, "Your application for a Concealed Carry Weapon License has been approved. Based on the training and instruction you received as part of the permit process and the personal interview with the investigator who processed your application, I am sure you understand the responsibilities commensurate with your permit."

7. The VERY NEXT day (LOL) I went to SLO Sheriffs Dept. to make my final payment ($95.00? Sorry I forgot the exact amount because it was cash only) and picked up my CCW!

***The CCW issued by the SLO County Sheriffs Dept is a simple paper card (roughly 3.25" X 4.5"). It is not durable in any way so I suggest you fold it in half and have it laminated. Just be careful where you put the crease. I folded mine exactly below where it lists my DOB, Hgt, Wgt, etc.
I then trimmed off a tiny bit of the white space using an exacto blade and a ruler. ***Please check both sides before making a cut so that you are only cutting off unused white space.***

Before any loud mouths here start barking that you cannot "modify" your CCW, the person at the SLO Sheriffs Office who handed me my card said that I could do so to make it fit my wallet as long as I only cut off unused white space. So just pin your lip, bub.

So the entire process took exactly 3 months and it would have been even faster had I not written such a short Good Cause Statement on my first attempt. I blame myself for taking bad advice from some who posted on this thread and elsewhere on CG.

Anyway, good luck to all who are going through the process. Stay safe and remember to TRAIN!

Last edited by jtlancer; 12-24-2017 at 10:18 AM..
Old 12-26-2017, 4:59 PM

Congratulations!
Old 12-26-2017, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats JT. Please tell us what city you live in or if it an unincorporated area, where?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 12-26-2017, 6:33 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Great to hear! Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:53 PM

I like the detailed comment by JT, and I agree with your observations about the CG CCW community, some people are wound a little too tight. So long as we do not share our specific GC or tell someone in the open forum what to include in their GC pertaining to their specific case, we should be good. I'm carrying out of Orange County and went through the GC process with them several times as I've just renewed. The Sheriff's Dept issues some examples of acceptable GC out here, and the county is pro issue, but you have to justify the permit. I'm considering moving up to San Louis County in the future, probably about 5 years from now so I'm looking at the various counties up that way and trying to get a feel for how they are with CCW. Anyhow my best to all of you and hope that you have a happy new year, that you are able to get your permits and renew them without too much of a hassle, and enjoy living in such a beautiful part of the state.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm one of the many alcohol business owners in the county. I carry large sums of cash and possess high-valuable assets at my place of business (alcohol and the equipment used to make it). My business is also located in the county, not within incorporated city limits. I understand that some(?) county's CCW permits state that you cannot consume alcohol or carry in a bar. Does this expand further and prohibit me from carrying in 1) places that manufacture alcohol and/or 2) a tasting room? If so, will the sheriff just reject me (either because it's illegal or they just plain don't like the idea of it) or could I make the case that I only carry when outside of my business going to the bank and such? Does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronob View Post
I'm one of the many alcohol business owners in the county. I carry large sums of cash and possess high-valuable assets at my place of business (alcohol and the equipment used to make it). My business is also located in the county, not within incorporated city limits. I understand that some(?) county's CCW permits state that you cannot consume alcohol or carry in a bar. Does this expand further and prohibit me from carrying in 1) places that manufacture alcohol and/or 2) a tasting room? If so, will the sheriff just reject me (either because it's illegal or they just plain don't like the idea of it) or could I make the case that I only carry when outside of my business going to the bank and such? Does anyone have any advice for me?
Last year the SLO sheriff liberalized issuance. They now no longer seem hostile to applicants. I'd give them a call or drop by and ask them directly.

The "tasting room" issue is interesting, because I think you'll be carrying their (right now) as the owner of the business, not under the CCW laws. Can a bar owner CC in his own bar? Can he CC and drink alcohol, as long as he is not drunk? Can a homeowner get drunk at home, suffer a home invasion robbery, grab his gun while still intoxicated and justifiably shoot the BGs, and not get prosecuted??? Interesting questions....

You might want to consult a lawyer regardless of what the SLO sheriff's office says.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-07-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-07-2018, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Last year the SLO sheriff liberalized issuance. They now no longer seem hostile to applicants. I'd give them a call or drop by and ask them directly.

The "tasting room" issue is interesting, because I think you'll be carrying their (right now) as the owner of the business, not under the CCW laws. Can a bar owner CC in his own bar? Can he CC and drink alcohol, as long as he is not drunk? Can a homeowner get drunk at home, suffer a home invasion robbery, grab his gun while still intoxicated and justifiably shoot the BGs, and not get prosecuted??? Interesting questions....

You might want to consult a lawyer regardless of what the SLO sheriff's office says.
Interesting problem. A business owner may keep a loaded firearm in areas of his property that are not open to the public. For instance, a gun shop owner may carry ("bear arms") while behind the counter but not in the area of the store open to customers.
Old 01-07-2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Interesting problem. A business owner may keep a loaded firearm in areas of his property that are not open to the public. For instance, a gun shop owner may carry ("bear arms") while behind the counter but not in the area of the store open to customers.
Seems stupid. The business owner is on his entire property. Why wouldn't he be able to carry up to his patio?

Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:

This does raise some interesting questions. Is there a good gun lawyer around here? A Google search only turns up criminal defense attorneys.

Quote:
Seems stupid. The business owner is on his entire property. Why wouldn't he be able to carry up to his patio?

If what Chewy said is true then it's completely stupid. I'm of the opinion that a business owner should be able to do whatever he wants in his place of business as long as no one is getting hurt. Unfortunately we live in a state where the majority of politicians lack that level of respect.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

A buisiness owner can OC a gun in areas not accessible to the public, but I believe he can CC his weapon anywhere inside of the business. You, as a private citizen, can OC at home in areas not accessible to public but you can't walk out on your from lawn OCing as long as it is accessible to the public (i.e. anyone can just walk onto you lawn from the street, no gate, not fence etc) but you can CC on your property all day long.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 01-08-2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
A buisiness owner can OC a gun in areas not accessible to the public, but I believe he can CC his weapon anywhere inside of the business. You, as a private citizen, can OC at home in areas not accessible to public but you can't walk out on your from lawn OCing as long as it is accessible to the public (i.e. anyone can just walk onto you lawn from the street, no gate, not fence etc) but you can CC on your property all day long.
This is what sounds logical to me. But from what I've read CC isn't allowed in places where alcohol consumption is taking place. So can a business owner CC in his own business even if alcohol consumption is going on?

To be clear I don't plan to CC much in my business. I'm more interested in getting my permit to CC outside of it, for instance when I'm carrying cash from my register to the bank.
Old 01-08-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
This is what sounds logical to me. But from what I've read CC isn't allowed in places where alcohol consumption is taking place. So can a business owner CC in his own business even if alcohol consumption is going on?

To be clear I don't plan to CC much in my business. I'm more interested in getting my permit to CC outside of it, for instance when I'm carrying cash from my register to the bank.
Give the sheriff's department a call. They've become very easy to work with from what the last applicants have experienced.

Old 01-08-2018, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

See People v Overturf regarding an apartment house owner's conviction for carrying in the part of his property considered to be open to the public (common area). https://law.justia.com/cases/califor.../64/supp1.html
Old 01-08-2018, 9:30 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nothing in the PC that says anything about carrying in a place that serves alcohol so it's not illegal. However, section 4 of BOF 4012 (CCW Application) states the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOF-4012, Section 4, Page 5
While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
• Consume any alcoholic beverage.
• Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.
A bar owner carrying in his own bar is a question for the IA though. If he's not drinking, it may be ok.

Quote:
Once you leave your business, you would need a CCW to legally carry a weapon concealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
See People v Overturf regarding an apartment house owner's conviction for carrying in the part of his property considered to be open to the public (common area). https://law.justia.com/cases/califor.../64/supp1.html
Good info. Thanks!

Last edited by baggss; 01-08-2018 at 9:36 AM..
Old 01-18-2018, 4:40 AM

If you live in downtown SLO, do not own a business, do not deal with large amounts of cash and have never been threatened then is there any hope for me in getting a ccw or am I out of luck?
Old 01-18-2018, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan1391 View Post
If you live in downtown SLO, do not own a business, do not deal with large amounts of cash and have never been threatened then is there any hope for me in getting a ccw or am I out of luck?
I'm not in SLO. BUT, if I were you, the 1st thing I'd do is go thru ALL of the posts in this thread from Jan 2017 onward to today to get an idea of the situation and to kick start thinking of your GC.

The 2nd thing I'd do is contact the sheriffs office and ask them how much in fees must be paid before you'll learn whether your GC would be accepted or not. In several counties I've see it is between $50 and $100. If you can write that off without batting an eye, I'd take the time to go through my life and figure out how to write the best GC I could and apply.

Until we get Shall Issue, there's no guarantees, either for or against, just playing the odds, which vary by county.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-18-2018 at 7:10 AM..
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM

I need to figure out if they are going to charge me the live scan fee before or after determination of good cause. Considering I must apply to SLO PD first and will most certainly get rejected, if I were required to get live scan before my determination of good cause I'd be out $226 by the time I was applying to SLOSD just to see if my good cause was good enough. From what I've read about good cause in SLO in this thread, I don't fit any of the criteria that is allowing others to get theirs. My gut tells me they will not issue in my circumstance and I'd be throwing away money.

I'll have to call to see if I have to pay 20 or 113 just to get a good cause determination. If someone has used our knows someone that has used a good cause that has been accepted in a situation similar to mine I'd appreciate a pm.
Old 01-18-2018, 7:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan1391 View Post
I need to figure out if they are going to charge me the live scan fee before or after determination of good cause. Considering I must apply to SLO PD first and will most certainly get rejected, if I were required to get live scan before my determination of good cause I'd be out $226 by the time I was applying to SLOSD just to see if my good cause was good enough. From what I've read about good cause in SLO in this thread, I don't fit any of the criteria that is allowing others to get theirs. My gut tells me they will not issue in my circumstance and I'd be throwing away money.
(1) IIRC, people often do their Livescan before GC determination just to save time, to get it out of the way. That was important a year or so ago when, IIRC, Livescans were taking months to get processed due to major backup in Sacto. IIRC, that blacklog has been cleared out and they're back to taking weeks.

Also, acc to state law, the IA cannot require you to pay for training before they decide re. your GC. Again, some people who feel confident they will pass their IA's GC standard go ahead and do it early.

(2) re. your GC statement: check out these posts of mine and apply to SLO and your GC:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post21164466

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post21165812

Spend the time and effort to figure out as much as you can to put on your "side of the scales" to persuade them to issue you a CCW.

You should also watch the San Diego County Gun Owners PAC video for more ideas.
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Take this seriously. Give it your best shot. Don't rush. Have others look it over and give you feedback, esp a trainer authorized by SLO for giving CCW classes. Pay them $30. If it get you a CCW....

Last edited by Paladin; 01-18-2018 at 7:25 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I just realized something else no longer a part of the sheriff's CCW app information: the requirement of a prior denial by your CoP if you live in an issuing city in SLO.

So, Sheriff Parkinson has: (1) put the CCW application process online; (2) removed the prior denial requirement for residents of issuing cities; and, most importantly, (3) removed the extremely restrictive GC description from the application materials.

I've also requested a Mod on this forum change this SLO County thread's symbol to Thumbs Up, edit the OP to refer to this post, and to remove the big quote from the sheriff's old CCW policy.

Hopefully, those 2 changes by us will increase the number of law-abiding folk applying for and getting issued CCWs in SLO Co.

N.B. This could all be a mistake. It could be that the sheriff in fact has not liberalized issuance. In that case: (1) I'll just ask a Mod to change the subject line symbol and edit the OP back again. (2) baggss can just change SLO back to yellow again with the 2018 January update. (3) Until then, the map, as we've always said, can easily be off by 1 color, one way or the other, but not by 2 colors.

But, hopefully, we're not being fooled, and real change has arrived in SLO!
Well, it looks like I either missed the requirement for a prior denial by your city's PD (if you live in a city w/its own PD), or the sheriff has brought it back....

Quote:
If you are a resident of the:

City of Arroyo Grande
City of Atascadero
City of Grover Beach
City of Morro Bay
City of Paso Robles
City of Pismo Beach
City of San Luis Obispo

you will need to contact the law enforcement agency in the city to apply for your Concealed Carry Weapon license per California Penal Code section 26155.

I don't know how I could have missed that chunk of text if it was there when I said the sheriff has stopped requiring a prior denial by the PD of city residents....

Either way, that means there have been only 2 improvements: (1) an online app process and (2) removal of the strict GC standard language from the materials I can view. (But I haven't actually gone through the app process online since I'm not in SLO Co.) The first is convenience, rather than GC related -- even SFPD has their CCW process online now. The 2nd gives the appearance of a more liberal GC standard, but really it does not mean the sheriff no longer uses that old standard.

If it wasn't for all of the posters who've said they've gotten issued (but not many in the past 6 months...), I'd say I was snookered. For now, I'll continue to consider SLO "light green", perhaps close to yellow on the spectrum, rather than suggest switching it back to yellow. baggss can always change it later if new info/more posters suggest it is yellow. Plus, we've always said the map may be off by 1 color/shade either way, but not 2.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-02-2018 at 8:02 PM..