Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2021, 5:00 PM

Default Inheriting an out of state relatives firearms?

My friends grandfather recently passed and he asked me about how his mother could get his grandfather shotguns from Texas to here in CA. I’m just making sure the info I’m giving him is correct. Don’t want him or his mom ending up in the pokey.

His mom and her sister are co trustees of the estate and they are splitting things up the aunt does not want the firearms so their isn’t any quarrel there.

So can they/she go to Texas and get them bring them back and oplaw forum them to let ca know who the new owner is? Would my friend need to re oplaw from mother to take possession or can he be the owner on original one? The firearms were not specifically given to anyone in the will.

Both shotguns are pump 18+ Barrels

Let me know if I’m way off or links to applicable info.

Last edited by BB-AR; 09-20-2021 at 5:45 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 5:17 PM

In gun speak, when a person dies, said persons spouse can take "temporary possession" of the guns (yes, this includes things like NFA items even).

It still must go through a FFL. Like they are buying a gun from a stranger.
This is not a California law, this is a federal law. If his grandmother was a CA resident then they could just do the inter-familial process, but that is not the case here, and a FFL must still be used since its an out of state transfer. Also since they are pump shotguns, they would be exempt from the shotgun AW laws.

Link where this has been talked about once before:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1528249

Last edited by DudeFromTheWest; 09-20-2021 at 5:22 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 5:49 PM

The grandfather was the last one to pass so that’s why I thought the daughters would be the rightful owners of the firearms as they own/control the estate. Does my friends mom take the firearms to a tex ffl to transfer them to herself in ca?
Old 09-20-2021, 5:58 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeFromTheWest View Post
In gun speak, when a person dies, said persons spouse can take "temporary possession" of the guns (yes, this includes things like NFA items even).

It still must go through a FFL. Like they are buying a gun from a stranger.
This is not a California law, this is a federal law.
This is incorrect. The thread you referenced involved living people. After someone dies, the law is different. There is no FFL required by federal law if the firearms were bequeathed, assigned by probate or intestate succession, even if the guns are going across state lines to residents of another state.

There is also no FFL required in free states when people are alive and transferring guns between residents of the same state. Even strangers can exchange guns with no FFL, so how does being dead affect the surviving spouse??

Old 09-20-2021, 6:01 PM

So I was correct in my first post she can just bring them here and oplaw them and GTG?
Old 09-20-2021, 6:02 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB-AR View Post
My friends grandfather recently passed and he asked me about how his mother could get his grandfather shotguns from Texas to here in CA. I’m just making sure the info I’m giving him is correct. Don’t want him or his mom ending up in the pokey.

His mom and her sister are co trustees of the estate and they are splitting things up the aunt does not want the firearms so their isn’t any quarrel there.

So can they/she go to Texas and get them bring them back and oplaw forum them to let ca know who the new owner is? Would my friend need to re oplaw from mother to take possession or can he be the owner on original one? The firearms were not specifically given to anyone in the will.

If the father left the guns to the daughters by bequest, or they obtain them through intestate succession, yes they can go get the guns and bring them back, or have them shipped here directly to their door.

Since you mention 'co-trustees' I assume there was a trust? Or did you really mean 'co-executors' of his will? It might not matter to this situation, but it is an important difference and could change the answer.

Anyhow they need to file the oplaw/intrafamily form.

If the grandfather left a gun or guns to the grandson by bequest, then the grandson can file the oplaw/intrafamily form. Otherwise his mother can give him a gun and still he can file intrafamily form.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-20-2021 at 6:12 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 6:35 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^^^^ Right.

CA has this legal definition for 'immediate family' - parent/child, grandparent/grandchild - and for that group no FFL is required by CA for inheritance.

Feds don't care about any kind of relationship; FedLaw allows no-FFL transfer for any kind of inheritance.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.
Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Consider Samizdat; consider some reading material, such as this and that.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-20-2021, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

If I remember the executor can ship the gun directly to the heir without FFL involvement.
In CA the oplaw form needs to be filled out. As executor COULD the mother give the gun directly to the son to avoid one oplaw fee (and possibly mom having to get a FSC?)
Old 09-20-2021, 9:02 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
If I remember the executor can ship the gun directly to the heir without FFL involvement.
In CA the oplaw form needs to be filled out. As executor COULD the mother give the gun directly to the son to avoid one oplaw fee (and possibly mom having to get a FSC?)
Executor (apparently in TX) could indeed give the gun to the grandchild beneficiary of the grandfather's estate - but its always the receiver who files the OPLAW, so that won't save any processing.

Cheaper to get all the guns and file one OPLAW form, one $19 fee per form.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.
Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Consider Samizdat; consider some reading material, such as this and that.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-20-2021, 9:57 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll pass along the need info to my friend