Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-25-2013, 3:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Meet the Press:Lapierre vs. Bloomberg

watching it now, thought i'd share.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 03-25-2013, 4:57 AM

I tried to watch but right off the guy talks about losing the opportunity created by sandy hook. Bloomberg says it would be a tragedy if we dont. Sick people i cannot watch. Did not make it thru to Wayne. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:17 AM
Veteran Member

i saw that yesterday. Bloomberg disgusts me. i almost spit out my coffee when he said he was pro second amendment. he's definitely an evil troll. on the other hand i thought wayne presented his points and was able to counter any attacks by the interviewer. especially since nbc leans quite obviously to the left. universal background check, no thank you. more like universal registration which leads to confiscation. i know there are those who think they won't confiscate....go ahead and cut to the front of the line and turn in your safe queens. send your ammo to me. please and thank you.

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:33 AM

Just watched the whole thing. I used to think WLP was a boring speaker but I was wrong. Bloomberg can't buy America. Chicago ranks last out of 90 cities in enforcing gun laws. Pointing out how false so many of the representations are about AR's, like how they blow bigger holes in people than other guns. He was great. And Bloomberg is just like New Yorkers. They think they are the most sophisticated citizens in the world. That commercial Bloomberg put out shows a bearded guy in a flannel shirt, sitting in a pickup truck in what looks like a rural area. This is Bloomberg's image of a redneck gun owner. The commercial itself is a put down of gun owners as unsophisticated and simple. WLP does a good job of countering, as he doesn't fit the image of a whacko or a redneck.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:51 AM
Calguns Addict

The thing about LaPeirre is he drives people crazy..

Like foam at the mouth, rave at the moon, bat**** off the rails insane.

For that, if no other reason, I like him.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:54 AM
Calguns Addict

And 'Background checks are a huge win' is totally moving the goal posts. That wasnt the tune three months ago.

And we have background checks!

Not one inch.

Just like the AW ban slowed 'gun control' post Sandy Hook (per Adam Winkler) Bloombergs mouthing off will kill background checks too.

To much, to far.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Although I would like to see David Keene speak as far as substance. LaPeirre is just inflamatory.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:17 AM
Veteran Member

Color me surprised, that was great.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

I think WLP did a descent job, he kinda has the angry white man thing down a little too pat. I would like to see Mr. Nior do some of these pressers thought.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:42 AM

Again with that "40% of people don't do background checks" statistic too.

Also... LOL @ "would you ban the salt shaker?" followed by "we're not banning anything".
Old 03-25-2013, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I think WLP did a descent job, he kinda has the angry white man thing down a little too pat. I would like to see Mr. Nior do some of these pressers thought.
I dunno. One Katie Couric moment like with Sarah Paling being asked what she reads, and they would have him by the round ones. I think he needs to stick to what he does well and let the old guys who know every press trick hold down the fort.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM

I, too, thought WLP did a surprisingly good job on this one.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Again with that "40% of people don't do background checks" statistic too.

Also... LOL @ "would you ban the salt shaker?" followed by "we're not banning anything".
If one more reporter doesn't ask why are they bringing up a stat from a poll that was done before the Brady Act went into law i'm going to scream.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM

How does he come up with the" "80% of NRA members support background checks". when they don't have a list of all the members.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM

WLP did pretty well I though.
I do which he'd smack down that stupid 40% BS that that host keeps using.
Especially since when someone else called him on it, he responded that WLP didn't object to it (as if that confirms it).
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi357 View Post
How does he come up with the" "80% of NRA members support background checks". when they don't have a list of all the members.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
If one more reporter doesn't ask why are they bringing up a stat from a poll that was done before the Brady Act went into law i'm going to scream.
Well the poll they keep referencing was from '97, and what bothers me the most was that it was JUST in the news a couple weeks ago, about how inaccurate that number really is. I can't remember the number, but it was something like only 250 people polled were gun owners, and some of those people that "didn't do a background check" really answered "I don't know if I had one or not".

'94 survey. '97 report.

Last edited by kalimus; 03-25-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

This is where WLP shines. He knows every media trick and kicks butt.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi357 View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_16...ground-checks/
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' Isaac Asimov
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM

I hate the way that Wayne LaPierre talks.

That guy really, really isn't good at public speaking.

See, not once does he mention that arms and ammunition are constitutionally protected, until the other guy asks him about that.

There is a way to change the bill of rights. Crapping on the bill of rights with unconstitutional legislation is NOT that way.

Arms are, by definition, weapons, for assault.

Arms are protected in the hands of "the people" - the only ones with the right to keep and bear arms.

Arms are only constitutionally protected because people that are well-trained, well-disciplined, well-equipped, and well-ARMED are "necessary to the security of a free State".

All of the arms that are "necessary to the security of a free State" are constitutionally protected. This includes AR-15s and 30 round magazines.

Funny how no one quotes the bill of rights when they talk about why arms are constitutionally protected.

There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

"would you ban the salt shaker"

thats great most of the time, but Bloomberg WOULD ban the salt shaker, or at least reduce the capacity to 7 grains
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

I can't stand WLP, but damn was that good! He deserves an honest answer of why NBC News does not cover those stats?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Wayne is hitting his stride. Well done, WLP!

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 03-25-2013, 1:55 PM

3:51 Bloomberg almost said we should have the right to carry, corrected himself just in time
Old 03-25-2013, 2:33 PM

Default What a douche!

Bloomberg: "I do think there are certain times we should infringe on your freedom."

Well Mr. Mayor, please continue to let us know when we are allowed to exercise our freedoms, and when you need to limit our freedoms when in our best interest.
Old 03-25-2013, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Why are people hating WLP again?

WLP needs to bring more numbers to the talk. We've all read the reports. Now bring the numbers onto MSM. And good job poking NBC in the eye.
Old 03-25-2013, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleobill View Post
Bloomberg: "I do think there are certain times we should infringe on your freedom."

Well Mr. Mayor, please continue to let us know when we are allowed to exercise our freedoms, and when you need to limit our freedoms when in our best interest.

Already making the rounds on facebook....
Old 03-25-2013, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

He did great!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 4:57 PM

They almost had to put Bloomie in a straitjacket when the commentator said the NRA is strong. The dishonesty just exudes from his facial expressions.

Last edited by kimber_ss; 03-25-2013 at 5:00 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleobill View Post

And yet I'm willing to bet you agree that your right to get drunk ends when you get in a car.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' Isaac Asimov
Old 03-25-2013, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I cant watch this until im ready to have high blood pressure...I hate Bumberg with a passion

Old 03-25-2013, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulfas View Post
And yet I'm willing to bet you agree that your right to get drunk ends when you get in a car.
Yes, because that is when you become an threat to the liberty of others. Until I am determined to be a threat to others, my rights cannot be infringed.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Drinking isn't a right (see Prohibition), nor is driving.
Old 03-26-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Yes, because that is when you become an threat to the liberty of others. Until I am determined to be a threat to others, my rights cannot be infringed.
But you agree that government maintains the ability to restrict a right? In this case, for being a threat to someone else's? My entire argument was just that the government DOES maintain some rights to infringe on personal freedoms for the sake of societal rights.
Old 03-26-2013, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But you agree that government maintains the ability to restrict a right? In this case, for being a threat to someone else's?
"Only because it is a threat", not "in this case". A huge difference.

Quote:
My entire argument was just that the government DOES maintain some rights to infringe on personal freedoms for the sake of societal rights.
"Only to preserve the rights of other individuals", not "for the sake of societal rights". Society is an inanimate object or merely a concept (depending on how you look at it) and has no rights. Only an individual has rights. The government is empowered to deprive a murderer of his life/liberty because the murderer infringed upon the right of the victim to live. The government is empowered to deprive a DUI offender of his liberty because the offender infringed upon the right of other individuals to live. The government is NOT empowered to deprive an individual of his liberty to drink because drinking by itself does not infringe upon the rights other individuals (even though it may offend their sensibility).
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I'd like to think that everyone here is down-like-china-town when it comes to keeping arms out of the wrong hands, but I believe Mayor Bloomberg is under the impression that legislature will keep bad-people-from-doing-bad-things; whatever happened to personal responsibility? If someone wants a large coke, then give them one. If people want salt on their food, then let them have it. If people want to smoke, then let them. I think I am more or less baffled by the thought process of, "Since you can't take responsibility for yourself, we'll step in. When you fail to execute proper decision making on any long or short term scale, we'll subsidize you and/or commence with a broad-sweeping legislation that makes it so nobody has a say in the matter."
Old 03-26-2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Driving is a privilege, not a right.

And to answer your question, yes. I believe driving while impaired should be a crime.
Old 03-26-2013, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But you agree that government maintains the ability to restrict a right? In this case, for being a threat to someone else's? My entire argument was just that the government DOES maintain some rights to infringe on personal freedoms for the sake of societal rights.
I said nothing whatsoever about government in my response. I simply indicated my liberty ends where that of others begins. I do not believe government should be involved in my choice to do anything. I do believe that if/when i choose to encroach on another's liberty, government is the entity that can punish me.

That being said, there are many laws, which I comply with simply because I believe they are in my and my families best interest.

Let me contrast two different laws: seatbelts and child/infant car seats. If I choose not to wear a seatbelt and I get in a car accident my injuries may be a result of my own choice. If I choose not to put my child in a car seat and I get in a car accident, my child's injuries are NOT a result of his/her own choice because I made the choice for them.

The seatbelt law takes my choice and accountability from me, however, the car seat law protects the child from consequences to choices for which they have not made for themselves.

In other words, the laws should only exist to protect another's liberty not to protect me from myself. If I want to drink 64 ounce soda until I get fat and die, I need to be able to have that choice. Just my opinion.

Last edited by mshill; 03-26-2013 at 2:04 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
In other words, the laws should only exist to protect another's liberty not to protect me from myself. If I want to drink 64 ounce soda until I get fat and die, I need to be able to have that choice. Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion. It is the opinion of the founding fathers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th Amendment
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.