Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-04-2013, 5:40 PM

Default ACTION REQUESTED: Help save the Glendale Gun Show

Based upon the previous thread, please take the action requested herein.

You can print a flyer HERE.

Let's get going and give the City Council a piece of our mind. But, let's try to remain polite and respectful.

Paul

ALERT!!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!
THE CITY OF GLENDALE IS CONSIDERING A BAN ON THE SALES OF FIREARMS IN AN AREA THAT WOULD RESULT IN THE CLOSURE OF THE GLENDALE GUN SHOW!!!!
· Contact the Glendale City Council and tell them not to take any action that would result in the closure of the Glendale Gun Show. Send the Glendale City Council members a message by sending an email using the NRA Members’ Council “One-Click” system at http://www.calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=glendale&year=2013 (NOTE: One email sent via the “One-Click” delivers an email message to each of the City Council members.)
· Plan to attend the Glendale City Council Meeting on January 15th and voice your opposition to the proposed ordinance. The location is: COUNCIL CHAMBERS, City Hall –– 613 E. Broadway, 2nd Floor, Glendale, CA
· Sign-up as an NRA volunteer at http://www.calnra.com/volunteer/
· Stand by for further ways to help the NRA work to save the Glendale Gun Show

REASONS WHY BANNING THE GLENDALE GUN SHOW IS A BAD IDEA
1) The Glendale Gun Show is already heavily regulated. All federal, state, and local laws must be adhered to at the gun show, which means firearms are not generally transferred on the property the day of the show. People select a firearm, fill out the paperwork, and then go pick the firearm up at ANOTHER location from a licensed dealer 10 days later, after they have passed a background check.
2) The Gun Show brings in significant revenue to the City, over $54,000 directly (and who knows how much indirectly from restaurants, gas stations, etc.) in 2012.
3) An ordinance banning the gun show is a solution in search of a problem, based on emotion. There appear to be zero instances of crimes or accidents with firearms at or around the gun show in its history spanning approximately 20 years.
4) Alameda County banned gun shows on its property and was sued for violation of the First and Second Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, as well as the Equal Protection Clause. Thirteen years and hundreds of thousands of dollars later the case remains unresolved, with the County ultimately interpreting its ordinance to allow gun shows on its property and plaintiffs asking the U.S. Supreme Court to confirm they are entitled to attorneys’ fees in excess of $1 million. See Nordyke v. Alameda County. The City of Glendale will almost certainly be sued in a similar case if it passes the proposed ordinance.
5) What exactly will banning the gun show achieve for Glendale other than deprive the City of the significant revenue it takes in from the show and invite a costly lawsuit like Nordyke, which could result in the City paying the plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees on top of its losses?
6) Banning the gun show was proposed in 2006 and was rejected. It was a bad idea then and it is a bad idea now.
7) It is offensive that some members of the City Council would admittedly exploit the tragic murder of innocents in Connecticut as a pretext to resurrect a political plan they have obviously wanted to employ for several years.
8) Any emotionally-based action, by an elected or appointed public official, is a bad idea if it does not also have a basis in fiscal and social responsibility. The loss of the steady stream of revenue, resulting from the gun show, is bad enough. But eliminating a highly regulated venue that requires that only lawful firearms transactions can occur is socially negligent.
9) The promoter of the Glendale Gun Show has a contract with the city and has had one for quite some time, and the city of Glendale would be in breach by taking any action that would prohibit the promoter from hosting his show.

H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
NRA Members' Councils Program Administrator
(951) 683-4NRA Office nrausmc@earthlink.net Email
http://www.calnra.com California NRA Web Site ----- CLICK HERE to
Join NRA's California Team of Volunteers

Proud to be an NRA Benefactor Member
Old 01-04-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
What is wrong with these nut bags? Any chance folks can reach out to the council members before any scheduled meeting?
That's EXACTLY what I'm asking YOU to do!

Please make sure to re-word the points (1 through 9 above) and only use one or two points in each email message.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-04-2013, 5:52 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

I will try to get a vacation day for the 15th, see you there! (Though I have never done anything like this).

If we don't stand up for our rights who will?

Thanks Paul.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 01-04-2013, 5:53 PM

What time is the meeting on January 15th? I looked at the City of Glendale website, and couldn't readily find it. Will write the Council now, and I plan on attending the meeting.
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-04-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReact View Post
What time is the meeting on January 15th? I looked at the City of Glendale website, and couldn't readily find it. Will write the Council now, and I plan on attending the meeting.
I will get more specific information regarding the actual time of the Council Meeting and other details within the next few days.

This is phase 2 of our strategy. Phase 1 is progressing well (please don't ask me about what it is.) Phase 3 will be coming next week.

For now, please spread the word and get those emails into the Glendale City Council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
I will try to get a vacation day for the 15th, see you there! (Though I have never done anything like this).

If we don't stand up for our rights who will?

Thanks Paul.

Don't worry if this sort of activism is new to you. I've been doing this for two-dozen years and I will teach you.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-04-2013, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Folks, please listen to my friend Paul.

This is not really just about "a" (single) gun show. But it's a line in the sand.

Attacks on gunshows are part of the cultural antigun war and are less about the guns
themselves - than about diluting "us" and our way of life. [These killjoys can't stand
anyone having fun either.]

If they attack places where gunnies meet & socialize, they block/reduce fundraising,
organization and communications. It's really a subterranean 1A issue too.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-05-2013, 9:25 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Paul Payne View Post
That's EXACTLY what I'm asking YOU to do!
For those of you with limited experience with local government, meeting with the council members individually before the meeting is FAR more effective than standing before the council and speaking for three minutes.

It's called lobbying and it's how things get done.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 01-05-2013, 9:35 AM
In Memoriam

There is not one even slightly reasonable justification for shutting down this gun show. The anti's keep pointing out that the facility is adjacent to an Armenian Church and a community college - of course they can't articulate how either of those entities are negatively impacted by the show. What - Armenians and college students shouldn't have access to the tools required to exercise their rights and enjoy their legal pursuits?

The city has zero - not one - legitimate excuse to discriminate against this event, its sponsors, its vendors, or the community residents who enjoy attending the gun show.
Old 01-05-2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
For those of you with limited experience with local government, meeting with the council members individually before the meeting is FAR more effective than standing before the council and speaking for three minutes.

It's called lobbying and it's how things get done.
I won't get into a debate about whether one method is "FAR more effective" than another. Because, in the end, it is simply one person's opinion vs. another person's opinion. But my limited experience (of about 24 years) has taught me many things regarding politics. And I'm attempting to use that experience and education to further benefit our efforts to help save the Second Amendment and, in this case, a gun show.

The tasks that I am requesting people to become involved in are part of something I call the Focused Energy Method of activism. As I stated in a previous thread, related to this topic, "The only thing I'm asking of you at this point in time is to work with us in a coordinated manner so that we can maximize our effectiveness."

We are currently in the second phase of a strategy that involves multiple activities from multiple positions. But we are not using a shotgun-style approach that has everybody attacking the issue from every different angle without coordination.

At this time, we are focusing our pubic efforts on electronic mail.

Instead, we are focusing our efforts in manner that uses techniques that will maximize the effectiveness so that we can be assured that our positions are being heard and understood.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-06-2013, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

e mails sent, and i plan to attend that gun show. fight on!

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:32 AM

Please increase the level of attention to this matter, especially during the next three days. In about two or three days time, we will add another phase to effort and ramp-up the pressure even more.

For clarity's sake: Phase 3 will not replace Phase 2. It will add to it, in order to increase our chances of effectiveness.

So please go to http://www.calnra.com/legs.shtml?sum...dale&year=2013 and use the ONE-CLICK MESSAGE CENTER link to send an email message to the entire Glendale City Council. Since all of the City Council members are receiving the same message, you might want to address your message with Dear Council Member, or something similar.

Thanks for all of your efforts. Please keep up the pressure.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

E-mails sent to my council members.

Keep up a steady stream guys!

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

We are minority of society participating in a legal activity. Is this a form of discrimination against us to suppress us from exercising our 2nd A rights?

"You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
voiceofreason
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
We are minority of society participating in a legal activity. Is this a form of discrimination against us to suppress us from exercising our 2nd A rights?
For sure, its a blatant infringement on the civil rights of a minority group
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I mentioned something to that effect in the e-mail to council members, about how the Bill of Rights is not divided into "good" amendments and "bad" amendments and they don't get to decide.

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 01-07-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Email sent. I mentioned that I am almost a life long resident!
Old 01-07-2013, 6:15 PM

Email sent.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks for sending the emails into the Glendale City Council. I'm told that they are feeling a certain amount of heat. And much of it is coming from our side.

However, if you can send another one, or if you haven't sent your yet (no matter if you live in Glendale or not) please do so soon.

The One-Click Message Center is active and gun show facts are available at http://www.calnra.com/legs.shtml?sum...dale&year=2013

Please circulate our alert from the California Alert System to all of your friends who own firearms and/or value freedom.

Thank you.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-08-2013, 2:56 PM

Emailed (again).
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-08-2013, 3:15 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

From today's e-mail. See you there (Jan 15th, 6PM)

Quote:

Glendale City Council to Consider a Proposed Ordinance to Ban Gun Shows

Your Attendance Is Needed!

In 2006, then-Mayor Rafi Manoukian unsuccessfully tried to ban gun shows in Glendale. Now Councilman Rafi Manoukian is trying to exploit the Connecticut shooting and is once again trying to ban gun shows in Glendale.

Your help is needed to help stop this proposed anti-gun ordinance which will do nothing to stop criminals or lunatics from committing acts of violence. Gun shows in California are already heavily regulated. All firearms sales, including private and gun show sales, transfers or loans, must go through a California licensed firearms dealer with a ten-day waiting period before delivery of any firearm. This proposed ordinance will only prevent law-abiding gun owners from exercising their Second Amendment rights.

On Thursday, January 15, the Glendale City Council will be meeting to hear and possibly vote on this egregious proposal that would result in banning gun shows in Glendale, which has been taking place for over two decades. Please plan to attend and respectfully urge the Council Members to OPPOSE any ordinance that would result in the closure of gun shows in Glendale.

This city council meeting will take place at 6:00 pm in the Council Chambers in City Hall at 613 East Broadway, Second Floor in Glendale.

If you are unable to attend, please call AND e-mail the members of the Glendale City Council and urge them to OPPOSE any ordinance that would result in the closure of gun shows in Glendale. The telephone number to reach the City Council is (818) 548-4844.

Members of the Glendale City Council:

Frank Quintero, Mayor, fquintero@ci.glendale.ca.us
Laura Friedman, Council Member, lfriedman@ci.glendale.ca.us
Rafi Manoukian, Council Member, manoukiancouncil@gmail.com
Ara Najarian, Council Member, anajarian@ci.glendale.ca.us
Dave Weaver, Council Member, dweaver@ci.glendale.ca.us

This alert is posted to Glendale City Council to Consider a Proposed Ordinance to Ban Gun Shows

Old 01-08-2013, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

make sure to update the OP with the TIME please

"You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
voiceofreason
Old 01-08-2013, 3:34 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
make sure to update the OP with the TIME please

....Plus the e-mail alert says Thursday, Jan 15th is Tuesday.

Old 01-09-2013, 9:30 AM

I hate to be repetitive nag folks, but there is still plenty of time to send another email in support of the Glendale Gun Show.

It doesn't matter where you live, please send an email.

Thanks,

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-10-2013, 3:43 PM

At tonight's Members' Council meeting, we will be discussing our efforts to save the Glendale Gun Show.

If you are an NRA member and live in the area, come on by and lend a hand.

MEETING INFORMATION for the NRA Members' Council of San Gabriel Valley

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Default PHASE 3

Not everyone who reads this message will be able to attend the Glendale City Council meeting and tell them your thoughts in support of keeping the Glendale Gun Show open.

So now, it's time to call them on the phone and ((( POLITELY ))) tell them not to take any action that would close the show.

Please call NOW and inform whomever answers the phone, and leave a message if you are given that opportunity. Please do this AND continue to send them another email message.

The phone number for the Glendale City Council is (818) 548-4844
Thank you for your efforts.

1) The Glendale Gun Show is already heavily regulated. All federal, state, and local laws must be adhered to at the gun show, which means firearms are not generally transferred on the property the day of the show. People select a firearm, fill out the paperwork, and then go pick the firearm up at ANOTHER location from a licensed dealer 10 days later, after they have passed a background check.
2) The Gun Show brings in significant revenue to the City, over $54,000 directly (and who knows how much indirectly from restaurants, gas stations, etc.) in 2012.
3) An ordinance banning the gun show is a solution in search of a problem, based on emotion. There appear to be zero instances of crimes or accidents with firearms at or around the gun show in its history spanning approximately 20 years.
4) Alameda County banned gun shows on its property and was sued for violation of the First and Second Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, as well as the Equal Protection Clause. Thirteen years and hundreds of thousands of dollars later the case remains unresolved, with the County ultimately interpreting its ordinance to allow gun shows on its property and plaintiffs asking the U.S. Supreme Court to confirm they are entitled to attorneys’ fees in excess of $1 million. See Nordyke v. Alameda County. The City of Glendale will almost certainly be sued in a similar case if it passes the proposed ordinance.
5) What exactly will banning the gun show achieve for Glendale other than deprive the City of the significant revenue it takes in from the show and invite a costly lawsuit like Nordyke, which could result in the City paying the plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees on top of its losses?
6) Banning the gun show was proposed in 2006 and was rejected. It was a bad idea then and it is a bad idea now.
7) It is offensive that some members of the City Council would admittedly exploit the tragic murder of innocents in Connecticut as a pretext to resurrect a political plan they have obviously wanted to employ for several years.
8) Any emotionally-based action, by an elected or appointed public official, is a bad idea if it does not also have a basis in fiscal and social responsibility. The loss of the steady stream of revenue, resulting from the gun show, is bad enough. But eliminating a highly regulated venue that requires that only lawful firearms transactions can occur is socially negligent.
9) The promoter of the Glendale Gun Show has a contract with the city and has had one for quite some time, and the city of Glendale would be in breach by taking any action that would prohibit the promoter from hosting his show.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-14-2013, 7:49 AM

Let's all do this again today.

Please call the Glendale City Council from the hours of NOON until 3:00PM and tell them not to take any action that would close the show.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Paul Payne View Post
Not everyone who reads this message will be able to attend the Glendale City Council meeting and tell them your thoughts in support of keeping the Glendale Gun Show open.

So now, it's time to call them on the phone and ((( POLITELY ))) tell them not to take any action that would close the show.

Please call NOW and inform whomever answers the phone, and leave a message if you are given that opportunity. Please do this AND continue to send them another email message.

The phone number for the Glendale City Council is (818) 548-4844
Thank you for your efforts.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-14-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a posted time yet for tomorrow's meeting?

voiceofreason
Old 01-14-2013, 9:25 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Is there a posted time yet for tomorrow's meeting?
My understanding is 6 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM

I give up finding the answer on my own..... Does anyone know what the Cow Palace decision of a couple years back regarding gun shows on public property was? Only thing I could find was that it had something to do with a San Fran law that says you have to buy ammo "face to face"... Is this all it was regarding or was their more to it?
Old 01-15-2013, 1:42 PM

Default TONIGHT

I will see you at the Glendale City Council meeting tonight at 6:00PM

Yours, in freedom!

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 01-15-2013, 2:14 PM

Called and emailed!
Old 01-15-2013, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The regular city council meetings start at 6:00pm. The agenda is here. I assume the gun show ban is going to be discussed as new business?
Old 01-15-2013, 6:47 PM

email sent.

just got home from the city council meeting. they put off discussion to next session. i believe that to be a week from tonight but dont quote me on that.

there was a man who showed up with a giant "dont tread on me" flag who caused a commotion when he refused to leave his flag outside when he was asked to by our local police officers. a number of other people made rude and uncivil comments as they exited the meeting when it was announced that discussion would be put off to next session. that is not helpful to our cause.

if you are going to come poorly dressed and make a scene please dont come at all. you are doing more harm than good if that is how you choose to represent our community.

if you own a proper suit and can display the appropriate sense of propriety and decorum in a city council meeting, and can speak intelligently to help our cause, please come to the next session and help us offset the negative effect of the cowboys and yahoos.

the council members were looking at most of the people there like one of them was about to pull out a gun and go postal. lets try to present a more sophisticated and professional image at the next session.

Old 01-15-2013, 6:51 PM

here's the text of my email:

Dear Sirs and Maam,

I am writing this email to express my oppostion to the proposed gun sales ban that would effectively end the bi-annual Glendale Gun Show. I am a graduate student doing research in Los Angeles and a native Angelino currently residing in Glendale zip code *****. My family has been in the City of Glendale for close to a century as my grandfather Donald Orlando Weide was raised in Glendale by his parents Orlando Sanford Weide and Sylvia Althouse Weide during the early part of the 20th century, when the LA River was a fishable stream and the only major retailer in town was Sears Roebucks. In fact my grandfather who was a highly decorated WWII veteran learned to shoot in the Boy Scouts right here in the City of Glendale in the late 1920's.

I am appalled that some would seek to use the recent tragedy in Newtown Connecticut to advance an anti-2nd Amendment agenda. I am a gun owner and competitive shooter and the Glendale Gun Show provides a twice yearly opportunity for myself and persons who share my interest in shooting sports to gather and shop for supplies in a local venue. There has never been any violence associated with the show in the years and years the Glendale Gun Show has been running and there is absolutely no good reason to ban the show. It is a highly regulated event and brings much needed revenue to the City of Glendale.

If your council acts to ban the show please believe I will make every effort to oppose the candidacy of every council member who votes for a ban at the next election. While Glendale has changed significantly over the decades, this is one change I would vehemently oppose.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Old 01-15-2013, 8:36 PM

Wink Whoooo Hoooo!! ...How'd it turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
email sent.

just got home from the city council meeting. they put off discussion to next session. i believe that to be a week from tonight but dont quote me on that.

there was a man who showed up with a giant "dont tread on me" flag who caused a commotion when he refused to leave his flag outside when he was asked to by our local police officers. a number of other people made rude and uncivil comments as they exited the meeting when it was announced that discussion would be put off to next session. that is not helpful to our cause.

if you are going to come poorly dressed and make a scene please dont come at all. you are doing more harm than good if that is how you choose to represent our community.

if you own a proper suit and can display the appropriate sense of propriety and decorum in a city council meeting, and can speak intelligently to help our cause, please come to the next session and help us offset the negative effect of the cowboys and yahoos.

the council members were looking at most of the people there like one of them was about to pull out a gun and go postal. lets try to present a more sophisticated and professional image at the next session.
Thx Hated

"Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man." - The Dude
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

ugh.... thus the reason why i moved out of my home town, kooks like this who ruin the city to the ground... I used to love the city, growing up there, but not anymore... We have to save the gun show in GLENDALE (if anyone knows the Kevin and Bean reference w/ Psycho Mike lol)

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 01-16-2013, 6:22 AM

i would be happy to have the Dude with us, but please leave Walter at home. ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
Thx Hated

Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 PM

Me and my friend jba will be there when needed, we based out of Glendale and will gladly join in on this fight. Many of our friends always have tables, businesses, set up at the show and we would like to show our support. Please send me information on how we can be of more help, my number is 818-437-9291.

I talked to a council member at the last show of 2012, they have been trying to ban this show for 10 15 years. Last year the reason was "our children go to school across the street from this show and we don't want to put them at risk." What child goes to school at GCC? These council members are nuts. I will come with my suit on and on my best behavior =)

Thanks Calguns!

Last edited by WildBoarsUnlimited; 01-16-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 7:54 AM

got a reply from one of the sympathetic members of the city council.

"I am 100% with you. Please support me in April city council election
Ara James Najarian --------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
"

Old 01-17-2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
got a reply from one of the sympathetic members of the city council.

"I am 100% with you. Please support me in April city council election
Ara James Najarian --------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
"
Excellent! Unfortunately, I will be out of town all next week, but I will be there in spirit with everyone. Was able to speak last meeting in a respectful, informative manner. Thanks to all for showing up and making a difference in this fight!
CRPA Life Member