Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-31-2013, 4:20 PM

Default Should I buy? MP15-22

I have the chance of buying a mp15-22 from a friend for 500bucks...is this a good buy? What are your thoughts on this model... Oh yeah...it's the camo model.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:00 PM

I have a Sig Sauer 522 and a Colt M4-OPS 22. They are hella fun to shoot and CHEAP to do so!

Sig Sauer: $450.00+TX,DROS.
Colt M4-OPS: $549.00+TX,DROS
Old 01-31-2013, 5:03 PM

500 ain't bad in this market. I saw one at Marin arms new in box for 479 a few days ago.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:04 PM

Yes. They are fun as .....

Last edited by triggs75; 02-01-2013 at 9:45 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 7:37 PM

if you have the ammo for it, why not?
Old 01-31-2013, 7:44 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would not. It takes a proprietary mag and they are pretty much impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Find something that uses AR15.22 mags.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 01-31-2013, 8:11 PM

I just broke mine out of jail yesterday. I've read almost nothing but positive reviews on the MP15-22. The only downside is finding mags for it right now. I guess I'm just going to be stuck with one for the moment. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow. Excited. I got mine for $479 before tax and dros, depending on the condition of your friends rifle, I'd say it's a decent price but not great considering it's used.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Black Dog Machine is just as proprietary as Smith & Wesson. Normally its not hard to find either, but we live in interesting times.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 01-31-2013, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRent54 View Post
I have the chance of buying a mp15-22 from a friend for 500bucks...is this a good buy? What are your thoughts on this model... Oh yeah...it's the camo model.
Heck yes buy it
They are fun and accurate
And all the controls work!
Old 01-31-2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Black Dog Machine is just as proprietary as Smith & Wesson. Normally its not hard to find either, but we live in interesting times.
Not really. I can use bdm jn my cmmg and spikes conversion kits. They work with my full auto ciener kit in my M16. They work with most .22 uppers. The smiths just work in smiths.

[/URL]
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have one that I bought on impulse. $500 is a pretty good price.

So far, I've put a scope, Harris bipod, and two stage trigger job into it.

It's a hoot to shoot and the ammo is cheap.

It's also pretty accurate after you get a couple of rounds through it.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine goes on every range trip. It is usually the most popular gun on any of our shooting trips.

The magazine availability issue will improve soon.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yes buy it.

All the controls work like a centerfire AR; one of the reasons it's tons of fun. IMO, the bolt locking back after the last round is a must for a tacticool simulator; the Smith does it reliably. It's also not picky with ammo, which lets me and who ever I'm shooting with blast away for hours with cheap bricks of ammo.

I've had a CMMG conversion kit and a Sig 522, both of which ran on Ceiner/BDM style mags. Although they both fed most ammo reliably, the flexibility to use different brand mags wasn't enough for me to keep either of them. OTOH, my 15-22 I'll never sell, that is unless I'm forced to . I've actually often considered buying another one and probably will, especially if S&W came out with a new variation.

Almost all mags for any gun is hard to find right now, but before this current insanity M&P 15-22 mags were not a problem to find. Hopefully it'll come back to that.
Old 02-01-2013, 6:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Not really. I can use bdm jn my cmmg and spikes conversion kits. They work with my full auto ciener kit in my M16. They work with most .22 uppers. The smiths just work in smiths.
Semantics I suppose. If the magazine you use is made by one manufacturer, its proprietary. Whereas on things like 1911's there are many different manufacturers of magazines=non proprietary.

I understand if you have several dedicated uppers and a conversion unit that use a certain magazine it's logical to stick with that type of magazine. If you're just wanting a .22lr training version of your AR the M&P 15-22 has a lot going for it for the price. Dedicated rimfire platforms are nice due to our bullet button requirements on center-fire and it keeps the dirty .22lr residue in one gun.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 02-01-2013 at 7:07 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Semantics I suppose. If the magazine you use is made by one manufacturer, its proprietary. Whereas on things like 1911's there are many different manufacturers of magazines=non proprietary.

I understand if you have several dedicated uppers and a conversion unit that use a certain magazine it's logical to stick with that type of magazine. If you're just wanting a .22lr training version of your AR the M&P 15-22 has a lot going for it for the price. Dedicated rimfire platforms are nice due to our bullet button requirements on center-fire and it keeps the dirty .22lr residue in one gun.
While BDM mags are made only by BDM I would not consider them proprietary because they are not solely sold by BDM. BDM relabels them as CMMG and Brownell's too and are sold by those companies as CMMG and Brownell's magazines.

I was so close to buying an M&P1522 until I saw the proprietary mags. It is a nice gun but the mag issue is a deal killer for me. Others may have no issue with that and that is fine too. I just see it as a severe limitation if the OP decides to buy the original ciener style kits or uppers. That design has been around for decades.

[/URL]
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Great quality rifle. I've lost count of the rounds that have gone through my 15/22.

You can't go wrong with it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM

i agree that it's a great rifle. heard nothing but great things even though i havent shot one myself. i am in the market for one too. i can say at the very least its a good deal because you are not paying taxes and just dros so you get to save a bit of money.
Old 02-01-2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs75 View Post
Yes. They are fun as .....

I have never seen one is FDE. Even the mag.

Very cool.

I have an MOE one in black, and LOVE it!!!!

I finally got a bunch of short 10 rd mags after the election, but before the panic for less than $17 each. I have seen these sell for over $75 on eBay, GunBroker and here.
Old 02-01-2013, 7:36 PM

Just got mine 2 weeks ago and I love it. Paid about that price new from Poway Weapons & Gear...
Old 02-01-2013, 7:43 PM

i would if i can find one
Old 02-01-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While BDM mags are made only by BDM I would not consider them proprietary because they are not solely sold by BDM. BDM relabels them as CMMG and Brownell's too and are sold by those companies as CMMG and Brownell's magazines.

I was so close to buying an M&P1522 until I saw the proprietary mags. It is a nice gun but the mag issue is a deal killer for me. Others may have no issue with that and that is fine too. I just see it as a severe limitation if the OP decides to buy the original ciener style kits or uppers. That design has been around for decades.
And re-labeled BDM's being sold at CMMG and Brownell's is different than S&W M&P 15-22 magazines being sold at Brownells, Midwayusa, and 44mag.com, etc. how exactly? If the manufacturing plant burns down for either company one of us is SOL. By the way, BDM does make magazines for the M&P 15-22 also .

If you want to have just one platform and require that each rifle can share your magazines thats fine. Some people like Glock (and only Glock) 9mm's for this same reason; a G17 magazine will work in all of them. I personally have no qualms about buying a firearm whose features I like and purchasing seperate magazines for that specific firearm. Otherwise I wouldn't own many of the firearms I do.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Yes. Buy it. Then go out and buy another. They are that much fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM

That looks great in FDE! I have an M&P 15 Sport (5.56) and love it! I think you;d be happy with your purchase. .22LR means you can shoot it WAY more!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Great guns. I have an MOE version and it is the best semi auto 22 I own. Dont know about the price in this crazy market. Seems OK.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM

Looks like they are being added to the assault ban from Feinstein. No longer e reads any center fire rifle that has ... But she proposes any rifle with... Get what you can while you can. If nothing happens with these proposed bans well at least you have so new toys and had a great excuse to buy extra guns.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRent54 View Post
Get it, it's a fun, accurate, and reliable rifle. The aftermarket options are endless. I got mine for $350 pre-tax/dros with a Big 5 coupon in 2010, but you will never find it for a low price like that anymore. I stopped counting rounds after about 12,000 or so early last year. As for mags, I got a bunch early on too, 6 in total. When you find them in stock at a good price order a bunch.
Old 02-03-2013, 1:03 PM

Took mine out yesterday, ditched my cheap red dot and slapped on some MBUS.. Still need to zero them in but the rifle is super consistent. Can unload a magazine in 10 seconds with a fairly tight group, and I'm still a novice shooter.

Would like to go to the range alone sometime and squeeze out a brick or two.

Worst part about the gun is how much $$ you spend on tacticool stuff.

Attachment 200920

Sent from my Apple Android

Last edited by rman; 09-07-2013 at 4:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 7:02 PM

I have a S&W M&P 15-22, it is a great rifle.
The rifle breaks down for easy cleaning, easily accurate with iron sites at 50 yards (before the wind starts affecting your shots.)
The magazine issue is only temporary.

Most importantly, the actual bolt catch works.

I have ordered a reverse muzzle brake to increase the felt recoil, other than that love it.

Its a tactical .22LR, and widely considered one of the best tactical rifles due to the rifle closely in all aspects being similar to the AR-15. The major complaint is the low recoil when comparing the rifle to a .223/5.56 transition, which can be improved with a reverse muzzle brake.

Watch this and thank a veteran next time you see him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfrr3kxzJtU
Old 02-03-2013, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get it.

I bring it on every range trip. Wife & kids shoot about a brick of 22 each time.
Old 02-03-2013, 9:33 PM

My dad has one he let's me take it to the range when ever I go. Yesterday I ran 300 rounds with no jams or mis fires. I use it more than he does, it is great for new shooters an training on the ar platform for cheap. You can also pimp out your chopper with many things since it has a rail system. Right now I just have a vertical foward grip on my dads, but I want to add an optic like a tru glow soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 7:09 AM

Put 370 rounds through it yesterday and held consistently thought groups. Even 200rds of Remington target 22lr from the 80s with no problems

OP did you end up getting it?

Old 02-06-2013, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not exactly the case. I use S&W magazines in my dedicated .22 AR, equipped with a CMMG barrel and bolt group. They will work with a Ciener and CMMG with a spacer on the mag, I have done so. Combined with a Catch 22 bolt stop and stick on mag spacers, the bolt stop works exactly like a 5.56 in a rifle whose weight is closer to a 5.56 rifle than the S&W.

Currently, Black Dog mags aren't any more or less available than S&W in any case. While I have seen S&W mags in local gun stores in my area (until the panic started, that is), I've never seen a BD mag in a retail display.

For the OP's benefit, the S&W is a good rifle. If you can't beat that price new, buy it.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 02-06-2013 at 9:26 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM

I just Dros'd one today. I'm glad to of found this thread. Now if I could just find some Mags in stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterman52 View Post
I just Dros'd one today. I'm glad to of found this thread. Now if I could just find some Mags in stock.
Too bad, mines for sale with 4 mags!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Too bad, mines for sale with 4 mags!

Considering I only paid 440 OTD for it and already have the Magpul extras I'm still happy with my purchase.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterman52 View Post
Considering I only paid 440 OTD for it and already have the Magpul extras I'm still happy with my purchase.
Great price!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM

my mp15-22 is currently in jail. i got it yesterday on sale from Turners.

it will be an excellent plinker for us.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Its my first gun. No regrets about buying it