Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-09-2020, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default Mountain House

Anybody know when Mountain House will be having a sale? Good product, but very expensive per serving...
Old 02-09-2020, 7:00 PM

Buy from the Mormons instead. Find a warehouse near you.

https://providentliving.churchofjesu...nd%20locations

I’m not promoting their religion, just their awesome prices on food preps.
Old 02-09-2020, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Anybody know when Mountain House will be having a sale? Good product, but very expensive per serving...
They just had one but Amazon's regular Mountain House price was similar or cheaper than the Mountain House website sale price.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 02-09-2020, 9:09 PM

Default Correct

They were very cordial to me in Stockton. I visited there and was asked to make an appointment which I did. At the time I had $40 to spend and they helped me make it go along ways. Im not a fan of their faith and enjoy my own to which they seemed to care less and said nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjpresby View Post

Im not promoting their religion, just their awesome prices on food preps.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Someone correct me if the information at this link is wrong but the Mormons don't make freeze dried food like mountain house and many other companies do, they just sell canned food staples, usually in the big number 10 size cans they sell short list of foods that are mainly vegetable based products (carrots, potatoes, onions, pancake mix, granola, peanut butter, spaghetti, honey, sugar and wheat of different types a few fruits like canned sliced apples Etc.)

You've got to remember it's mostly in big number 10 cans so if you're in an emergency situation without refrigeration and you're only one or two people, there's a possibility of the food going bad before you can finish it, as I don't think the Mormons put lots, if any, preservatives in their food.

Here's a link to their web page about it and you can look for your local location, there's one in Concord and I think there's one in Sacramento but I've never been to them.
*Also a quick warning that if you want to see their PDF one page pre-order forum and you click on the "look at it in your browser link" it's still going to download a PDF form to your phone or computer.

https://providentliving.churchofjesu...s-map?lang=eng

Last edited by sealocan; 02-09-2020 at 11:32 PM..
Old 02-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I need to check them out.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 PM

it's been a bit since i used them, but i remember theepicenter.com having pretty decent prices on MH and a few other prep items too.
Old 02-10-2020, 3:16 AM

I signed up to their newsletter, once a while I would receive an email about their sales.
Old 02-10-2020, 9:28 AM

Default don't recall freeze dried

It is true. I don't recall anything freeze dried on their stores. It is all #10 can stored. I dont imagine in a crisis it would go back - I'm single and can imagine using everything before it goes bad. My guess is the shelf life on the Mormon goods is a lot less then Mtn House.

I've bought some mtn house style goods - from costco and walmart. Mtn house always seemed expensive to me. Rather then meals I went for stored bulk rice, beans, lintels, cornmeal, flour, pancake mix, and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Someone correct me if the information at this link is wrong but the Mormons don't make freeze dried food like mountain house and many other companies do, they just sell canned food staples, usually in the big number 10 size cans they sell short list of foods that are mainly vegetable based products (carrots, potatoes, onions, pancake mix, granola, peanut butter, spaghetti, honey, sugar and wheat of different types a few fruits like canned sliced apples Etc.)

You've got to remember it's mostly in big number 10 cans so if you're in an emergency situation without refrigeration and you're only one or two people, there's a possibility of the food going bad before you can finish it, as I don't think the Mormons put lots, if any, preservatives in their food.

Here's a link to their web page about it and you can look for your local location, there's one in Concord and I think there's one in Sacramento but I've never been to them.
*Also a quick warning that if you want to see their PDF one page pre-order forum and you click on the "look at it in your browser link" it's still going to download a PDF form to your phone or computer.

https://providentliving.churchofjesu...s-map?lang=eng
Old 02-10-2020, 6:23 PM

mountain house went up in price on amazon, I ordered just 4 weeks ago before this virus and most #10 cans was around $20-$25 now they are all around 30
Old 02-10-2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
It is true. I don't recall anything freeze dried on their stores. It is all #10 can stored. I dont imagine in a crisis it would go back - I'm single and can imagine using everything before it goes bad. My guess is the shelf life on the Mormon goods is a lot less then Mtn House.

I've bought some mtn house style goods - from costco and walmart. Mtn house always seemed expensive to me. Rather then meals I went for stored bulk rice, beans, lintels, cornmeal, flour, pancake mix, and the like.
Here is the Link to the LDS Home Storage Centers web site - https://providentliving.churchofjesu...enters?lang=en

You do not have to be a member and it is cash and carry if you wish, or you can use a CC. They will not brow beet you or question your motives, proselytize or anything else. I am not with their church but enjoy chatting with them about their preps and what recipes they have personally used with the food stocks you can buy there.

You can buy through their online store but it is 5%-10% more. Their food stuffs have either a 10 or 30 year shelf life and are clearly labeled as such.

They have a price list here that shows you the available items to purchase. Keep in mind, the prices are per case, which has six #10 cans. However, you can put together your own cases of mixed cans.

I like to pickup six cans as listed below and two pouches of Nonfat Dry Milk every so often to hand out to neighbors should an event arise. If there are no neighbors around, that it just deepens my larder.

-Sugar
-Flour
-Black Beans
-Pinto Beans
-Quick Oats
-Rice
Old 02-10-2020, 8:02 PM

I went to the Fresno store last week. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever meet. Not even once did my not being a member ever come up.

"Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06." -Jeff Cooper

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician. -Jeff Cooper
Old 02-10-2020, 8:07 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

MH is good stuff, maybe a bit salty, but I rarely find it for any meaningful sale prices really. It's expensive. The Mormon places are better from the purely financial aspect. They can have their nutty religion, but other than that the Mormons have a lot of things right and prepping is one of them.

That being said, their stuff is more along the lines of canned staples vs. freeze dried prepared meal entrees like MH.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 02-10-2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
MH is good stuff, maybe a bit salty, but I rarely find it for any meaningful sale prices really. It's expensive. The Mormon places are better from the purely financial aspect. They can have their nutty religion, but other than that the Mormons have a lot of things right and prepping is one of them.

That being said, their stuff is more along the lines of canned staples vs. freeze dried prepared meal entrees like MH.
I camp a lot and like to try out the various freeze dried packets. They are all somewhat bland if served as part of a normal diet. They just don't have the fat content as it it reduced/removed to allow for longevity as it will go rancid. And the flavors are ever so slightly off. But again, that is if you are on a normal diet.

Now if you are starving or have been working your butt off all day and are HUNGRY...they taste damn good.

Once you have your preps in order and have all the basics covered, go buy more of the spices you like as you will be using them a lot if you are going to move to a 100% freeze dried diet.
Old 02-10-2020, 8:36 PM

I'm a Mormon. Cost per calorie is what you want. I can't think of a better value than the Pantry. The church used to let you can your own food stuffs at the center but the government said we were putting the public at risk.

It costs more now but is still a huge value. Anybody can shop there and we don't try to convert anyone. You won't find better people anywhere.

We have our own canner and buy food by the ton for the ward.

My wife help run the Bishops Kitchen up here and teaches classes on canning and the such. We are blessed to help people learn how to care for themselves.
Old 02-12-2020, 1:21 PM

Wally World in the San Diego area seems to be getting rid of their batch of Mountain House. I found some on clearance in the camping section. Not a big markdown the 2 serving packages were $7 but I found one location that had them for $4/package.
Old 02-12-2020, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

I am planning on staying in my location in an event, but something could change my mind depending on the type of event. We have all the usual stuff stashed away---canned, dry items, water, etc. Looking at MH and similar to add some variety and for ease of potential transport---other brands have made gains in taste in recent years, except Wise products which in my opinion, are WAY too salty... I'm open to trying other brands and seek recommendations...
Old 02-12-2020, 6:34 PM

You just missed a 40% off sale at REI. They don’t sell cans, but got enough pouches to cover my backpacking trips for the next couple of years.
Old 02-12-2020, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Damn!
Old 02-12-2020, 9:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I camp a lot and like to try out the various freeze dried packets. They are all somewhat bland if served as part of a normal diet. They just don't have the fat content as it it reduced/removed to allow for longevity as it will go rancid. And the flavors are ever so slightly off. But again, that is if you are on a normal diet.

Now if you are starving or have been working your butt off all day and are HUNGRY...they taste damn good.

Once you have your preps in order and have all the basics covered, go buy more of the spices you like as you will be using them a lot if you are going to move to a 100% freeze dried diet.
I backpack a fair amount, burned out on MH and BP.
Slightly heavier and still pricey, shorter shelf life, but really delicious, I mean really good even on day 8 of 8 day trip, is Packit Gourmet https://www.packitgourmet.com/

Member/Contributor CRPA / NRA
Old 02-14-2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
I backpack a fair amount, burned out on MH and BP.
Slightly heavier and still pricey, shorter shelf life, but really delicious, I mean really good even on day 8 of 8 day trip, is Packit Gourmet https://www.packitgourmet.com/
Which ones are your favorite meals from Packit? meaning to try them out.
Old 02-18-2020, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Thank you. I went today to augment my stash. I bought a couple of cases of some staples plus some odds and ends. Good prices. Friendly people. Good/simple products. 30 year shelf lives.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 02-18-2020, 7:18 PM

Sportsman's warehouse is showing 25% off on the net and in my store.
Old 02-18-2020, 7:54 PM

I buy at the Mormon store. All their food is 20-30 year shelf life except the bagged goods like cocoa, waffle/pancake mix at 1.5 or 2 years. Super nice people. No religious talk at all.
Old 02-18-2020, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Thank you. I went today to augment my stash. I bought a couple of cases of some staples plus some odds and ends. Good prices. Friendly people. Good/simple products. 30 year shelf lives.
Gonna have to go check the one out in San Jose

Old 02-21-2020, 7:31 AM

I've bought from https://www.legacyfoodstorage.com/

Food is pretty good and price per calorie is very competitive
Old 02-21-2020, 7:45 AM

This place has a great once a year sale on many things like MH: https://www.sosproducts.com/
Also TheEpicenter has sales from time to time as well. https://theepicenter.com/
Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 PM

Do you have to have an appointment to use the mormons store, or do you just up during the listed hours?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I get mine at Bi-Mart if you have one near you. When on sale, they go down to 5.59 per package. I'm a fan of chili mac, Lasagna, and Stroganoff.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Which ones are your favorite meals from Packit? meaning to try them out.
Sorry, did not check this thread in a while. A few favorites I've had to date:

Texas State Fair Chili, Dotties Chicken and Dumplings

Bring your own tortillas or pita and have the Cajun Ranch Chicken Salad, This one and the Pizza Margherita were way better than I thought they would be.

The freeze dried beef and pork are also good to add to meals like the Big Easy Gumbo

There have not been any I've been unhappy with yet.

You can find lot's of reviews on youtube too.

Member/Contributor CRPA / NRA
Old 02-25-2020, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjdh View Post
Do you have to have an appointment to use the mormons store, or do you just up during the listed hours?
No, but some are only open a few days a week.

https://providentliving.churchofjesu...tions?lang=eng
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
Sorry, did not check this thread in a while. A few favorites I've had to date:

Texas State Fair Chili, Dotties Chicken and Dumplings

Bring your own tortillas or pita and have the Cajun Ranch Chicken Salad, This one and the Pizza Margherita were way better than I thought they would be.

The freeze dried beef and pork are also good to add to meals like the Big Easy Gumbo

There have not been any I've been unhappy with yet.

You can find lot's of reviews on youtube too.
No worries, thanks for the comments. I like the idea of eating the chicken salad with tortillas, I already bring those to eat for breakfast with the MH Breakfast skillet, so I could use those for two meals.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:32 PM

Well I just returned from the LDS (Mormon) store in San Jose. Super nice and friendly folks. You can buy by the can or the case. You can even mix and match cans. I plan to go again to make a purchase. They take cash and credit cards.
Old 02-25-2020, 5:30 PM

Grab a Seychelles water bottle and a couple replacement filters. $15 for the bottle and $6 for each filter. Compare to online pricing. Its a steal!
Old 02-27-2020, 5:24 AM

Question for those that use the Mormon food stores. Are these canned food ready to eat after opening or will a heat source or water still be needed to prepare the food.
Old 02-27-2020, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidad View Post
Question for those that use the Mormon food stores. Are these canned food ready to eat after opening or will a heat source or water still be needed to prepare the food.
The ingredients are basic food stuffs like flour, rice, beans, sugar, oatmeal.

Look at my post earlier in this thread. It provides a link to an online LDS ordering form so you can get an idea of what is available there.

Last edited by TheChief; 02-27-2020 at 6:38 AM..
Old 02-28-2020, 7:07 AM

I actually followed those very same links before posting here. The site is ok, not much info for a non prepper or someone not familiar with canning. But nice how their order form allows you to add tax and know how much cash to bring. Now I am thinking all this is precooked and ready to heat up and eat like the spaghetti bites. But I wanted to check with someone that had already shopped there before and were much more savvy than I.