Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Question Rifle Safe Recommendations

Not sure where I would put this, but did a search and didn't see a thread on it. Figured the rifle section would be a great place to start. I have collected enough guns now that I have outgrown my current Sentry Safe. It has served me well, but it's time to step up. I had it when I just had a few rifles, mainly all under $500 each. The most expensive when I started was a Keltec SU16. Now I have over the last few years added to the collection. None taller that the Mosin Nagant so far, I need to step up my Safe game. I am planning on moving within the next 12 months to 36 months so I was thinking of waiting. But that no longer is the case.

I am hoping for some recommendations with a few things in mind.

1. I will be storing this safe in the garage in my new home as well as my current.
2. I currently have a mix of guns totaling 10 long rifles and a couple of shotguns.
3. I am hoping to keep it under $1500, but willing to go above if reason dictates.
4. I do not plan to store other valuables as I will use the existing in home Sentry for those.
5. I work out of my home office, so I always have someone in my home. This is primarily for the occasional (less than 10 days someone will not be home, thieves can try to guess which ones ).
6. Two rifles currently run optics and I expect my short list will include 5 other rifles with optics.
7. I think standard fire protection is fine. I think the insurance coverage's should suffice as I don't have any heirloom guns nor plans for any.

Any help or information on this is appreciated.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:44 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

https://www.sturdysafe.com

check out the their website. i was part of group buy #3 (?) and was very very satisfied with it. this safe is a tank! also, check the link below.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1576319
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
https://www.sturdysafe.com

check out the their website. i was part of group buy #3 (?) and was very very satisfied with it. this safe is a tank! also, check the link below.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1576319
Thanks for the links. Do you mind if I ask which version you went with and what was your deciding factor?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2020, 11:32 AM

One piece of advice - once you finally decide on what you are getting, scrap up a little more money and get that company’s next size up. The safe you buy never ends up being big enough.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
Thanks for the links. Do you mind if I ask which version you went with and what was your deciding factor?

Thanks
i went with this. https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-2822
added fire line and inside are 2 racks and 4 shelvings.
if i remember it correctly, you can upgrade the thickness of the steel which is great if you can afford it.

i would have gotten bigger one but that was all i can afford.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

Last edited by Barang; 02-13-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Drive up to West Coast Safes, theyre right off the 15 a bit south of Bass Pro

Take a look at multiple brands, sizes, price ranges and see what fits you. They also get used safes pretty often that will save a bunch of cash if its a size/color youre interested in
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 AM

When I got my large safe I ended up going with Sun Welding out of Simi Valley. They have a wide range of sizes they can make and used to run some nice discounts during gun shows.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
One piece of advice - once you finally decide on what you are getting, scrap up a little more money and get that company’s next size up. The safe you buy never ends up being big enough.
Sound advice, I am considering jumping up to make sure. Since I don;t plan to stop collecting.

Quote:
if i remember it correctly, you can upgrade the thickness of the steel which is great if you can afford it.

How many rifles would you estimate it can hold? I was looking at that one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
Drive up to West Coast Safes, theyre right off the 15 a bit south of Bass Pro

Take a look at multiple brands, sizes, price ranges and see what fits you. They also get used safes pretty often that will save a bunch of cash if its a size/color youre interested in
I will have to take a cruise up there since they are just a tad north of me. Didn't realize there was a dealer close by.

Anyone see these safes? I am watching and checking reviews as we speak.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/p...t-model-12-pro
Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post

How many rifles would you estimate it can hold? I was looking at that one as well.
you can pack tight 12 rifles with shelving installed and that's how my safe is set up.
without the small shelvings, you can store 5-6 more rifles leaving only the top shelving.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:20 PM

I thought those secureit safes are pretty neat if you have a smaller collection of long guns. You can't fit a ton of rifles in one unit
Old 02-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

There are some nice wall safes for distributed places that fit between studs.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-13-2020, 1:24 PM

I have a liberty 1776 50. 1,000 pounds, 11 gauge steel, 60 minute fire protection at 1200° I think it is. You can reconfigure the shelving how you want. For around $2K I think it's a good deal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 1:30 PM

West Coast is a short walk away from Ammo Bros too; You can add more to to the safe you're going to buy W.C.S. carries Liberty; You'll probably find a 'Fat Boy JR' or 'Colonial' series in your price range. They should sell some used safes too.
Old 02-13-2020, 1:45 PM

General question on bolt-down safes:

Generally speaking, how good are they at preventing folks from walking off with them? Also, are there any that are better than glorified "easy to pry open" filing cabinets? All well and good if I have a fairly bullet-proof bolt down system but if someone can pry it open with a hacksaw blade in 10 seconds, what's the point?

Edited to add: I am talking more about the safes that don't weigh 1000 pounds in addition to having bolt downs. Just can't afford one of those (plus I only have 2 rifles with no plans to purchase more) so something economical and secure is what I am looking for.

Last edited by Usmc0844spare; 02-13-2020 at 1:53 PM..
Old 02-13-2020, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

I would only say that there is a difference between a safe and a cabinet. Also if it says 24 guns it will probably hold less than half of that. So comfier that when purchasing. I went with a Winchester from from tractor supply and it is an awesome aafw.
Old 02-13-2020, 1:52 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A little further down on the page you should see the forum for safe discussions, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...splay.php?f=74

Moved, just for neatness.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-13-2020, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
General question on bolt-down safes:

Generally speaking, how good are they at preventing folks from walking off with them? Also, are there any that are better than glorified "easy to pry open" filing cabinets? All well and good if I have a fairly bullet-proof bolt down system but if someone can pry it open with a hacksaw blade in 10 seconds, what's the point?
I have an Amsec NF safe that is over 800 pounds. Nobody is walking off with it. Even with a heavy lifting hand truck, it is difficult. A pro safe mover can do it, but not a single handed amateur. It was 1/4 inch plate for a front door and 11 gauge steel on the sides plus 3 inches of dry wall. It is bolted down, just so it can’t be toppled or moved easily.
Old 02-13-2020, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is a great youtube video called security on sale which you should watch. Always buy the best safe you can afford. Even the best safes can be broken into, the burlger just needs time. A stout safe will just slow them down. Dont leave power tools that can be used to crack your safe around. Burlgers are typically opportunists and don't carry a lot of tools. They will be more than happy to use yours though. A harbor freight grinder can make quick work of any of the thinner safes. I think there was a youtube video of that too... Always anchor your safe. Plenty of safes have been dragged out of houses and probably cracked open over a 6 pack.
If 1500 is around your budget, take a look at liberty safes. They probably have something in your budget. I personally like sturdy but they may be out of your price range. Sturdy safes has some videos too to educate potential buyers on things to look for and why they construct their safes a certain way.
Also dont discout a used safe. Look at craigslist. The resale market for safes is pretty weak so you can get some great deals, including commercial safes for a bargain. Rent a truck and buy some friends some lunch and pick it up.
I mention commercial safes since they are ul listed not just for fire but for an attack. They are typically filled with concrete and have much thicker walls and doors.
Kevin
Old 02-13-2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
There is a great youtube video called security on sale which you should watch. Always buy the best safe you can afford. Even the best safes can be broken into, the burlger just needs time. A stout safe will just slow them down. Dont leave power tools that can be used to crack your safe around. Burlgers are typically opportunists and don't carry a lot of tools. They will be more than happy to use yours though. A harbor freight grinder can make quick work of any of the thinner safes. I think there was a youtube video of that too... Always anchor your safe. Plenty of safes have been dragged out of houses and probably cracked open over a 6 pack.
If 1500 is around your budget, take a look at liberty safes. They probably have something in your budget. I personally like sturdy but they may be out of your price range. Sturdy safes has some videos too to educate potential buyers on things to look for and why they construct their safes a certain way.
Also dont discout a used safe. Look at craigslist. The resale market for safes is pretty weak so you can get some great deals, including commercial safes for a bargain. Rent a truck and buy some friends some lunch and pick it up.
I mention commercial safes since they are ul listed not just for fire but for an attack. They are typically filled with concrete and have much thicker walls and doors.
Kevin
Thanks. Yeah was just doing some research and was amazed at how those things we call gunsafes are not really "safes" in the classical sense.

Whatever I get will reside in my garage, so at least I will have some concrete to bolt it down to.

My garage is pretty cluttered as well, some quite honestly, there will be some element of "hidden in the mess" in my philosophy as well.
Old 02-13-2020, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy a used commercial safe with a TL or CL rating off of Craig’s list.

“You found that offensive? I found that funny. That’s why I’m happier than you.”

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-13-2020, 3:13 PM

Thanks for the input all. I am leaning towards the sturdier safes once I resolve where I will move to. But it will likely be a 60" big boy. Ijust don't think it's worth the cost to pay for a larger heavier safe with the understanding that I am trying to move at this time. I'd rather save the moving cost to add it to upgrades.

That being said, it does not minimize the info that is being presented, as it will be used for the future purchase which isn't far off.

So onto the issue at hand, would anyone recommend I get a gun cabinet for the smaller more inexpensive guns for the mean while? or still get a $4-500 budget for the time being?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 AM

If someone can get a group buy started with sturdy I'd be in
Old 02-14-2020, 6:25 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatarush View Post
If someone can get a group buy started with sturdy I'd be in
Perhaps as discussed in this thread? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1576319
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-14-2020, 7:52 AM

I was able to buy a Liberty Colonial series safe off of Craigslist several years ago. Almost new condition for $350.00
Old 02-14-2020, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Buy a used commercial safe with a TL or CL rating off of Craig’s list.
This is what I did...found a used Amvault 6528 with a TL-30 (3400lbs) rating for $2800. Funny thing is I tried to hire the local safe company to install it in my garage and they said it was too heavy for them so I had to do it my self.

Here is one from the guys I bought mine from:

https://california-safes.com/hamilton-safe.html
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Everyone in the hobby of shooting should have a quality safe. While 2-3k sounds like a lot as a single purchase I bet most people here have far more than that in guns. For the cost of a nice 1911 or AR you can buy a safe that can adequately protect your stuff. Plus safes work great at storing other valuables and documents too.

Any safe can be cracked or opened if you have the right skill set or enough time. Good safe crackers aren't robbing average Joes with gun safes though and the average smash and grab criminal wont take an hour to cut through the side of your safe.

Always bolt your safe down. Bolting makes a 1,000lb safe a 15,000lb safe.
Old 02-15-2020, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Liberty is a good, solid, reputable brand.
Fair pricing and good warranty.

Lots of accessories, add-ons & customizations to be had.

I believe they do financing. Keep an eye out for their blemish / ding & scratch sales. Doesn't seem like huge savings, but a few hundred bucks is still a few hundred bucks saved.

I think they do promotional pricing at various fairs & shows too.

Absolutely, no questions & no hesitations, you better pay to get that thing professionally bolted to the ground.

Even Liberty's biggest safe has been stolen in the cases where the owner didn't have it bolted to the ground.
Old 02-15-2020, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Thanks. Yeah was just doing some research and was amazed at how those things we call gunsafes are not really "safes" in the classical sense.

Whatever I get will reside in my garage, so at least I will have some concrete to bolt it down to.

My garage is pretty cluttered as well, some quite honestly, there will be some element of "hidden in the mess" in my philosophy as well.

Good on the bolting. It should be required.

As for hiding it; ask the delivery guys to leave the box it ships in.
Cut only the back of the box + floor off, then you are left with a 4-sided box that you can slide right over the front of the safe easily.

Sure it still looks like a huge cardboard box, but you can better camouflage it that way.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I also got this model during the groupbuy with some add-ons and additional steel. Highly recommended.

I didn't think I would need more room but with recent purchases of additional rifles and ammo, I wish I've bought the bigger one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
As for hiding it; ask the delivery guys to leave the box it ships in.
Cut only the back of the box + floor off, then you are left with a 4-sided box that you can slide right over the front of the safe easily.

Sure it still looks like a huge cardboard box, but you can better camouflage it that way.
Interesting.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 AM

+1 for Sun Welding.

I bought one in 1985 and another larger one in 2017. Both have thick plate steel instead of sheet metal for better security.