Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
So let's see a pic of your collection now. There are so many knives out there. Lots of choices, have fun.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-...gleiter--34056
Do you have anything from Kizer in the Vanguard series?

I'm tempted but haven't handled the Kizers.

I did just buy a Sheepdog, this week has been bad for me, 9 Knives and one sharpener. I have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurecollector View Post
Do you have anything from Kizer in the Vanguard series?

I'm tempted but haven't handled the Kizers.

I did just buy a Sheepdog, this week has been bad for me, 9 Knives and one sharpener. I have a problem.
I don't have any. The Vanguard Bolt 3.5 looks really nice since we were talking about Hinderer shapes. Seems like screaming deal with multicolor G-10 scales, VG-10... $60

Then again, no flipper and thumbstuds... I like liner locks with G10 on both sides if they are bearing flippers like the ZT0909.

This one looks cool
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KUV...ck-g10-handles

If I had $50 to blow on a knife I'd get that TUYA. Again all just IMHO. Everyone should buy what ya like - even knock-offs made from melted tin cans if that's what you love.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Gawd this forum gets me in so much trouble

SOG Kiku assisted & WE 619 flipper in grey titanium.

I was looking over WE Knives on eBay yesterday, that clip detail is pretty cool, what’s you opinion on their frame lock system, is it solid?

MM

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Precisely my point. Glad you've discovered it.
No, I missed your point. If you consider the 0566 I sold in the set worth $100, the 0560 went for $160. These didn't sell right away, they sat for while. You can post up an old OREO cookie on EBAY for $300 and you cannot say that's what they are worth unless they are selling for that price often. There are tons of overpriced listings as far as knives go. Most are BUSSE or similar. I am surprised you found a weird trend of old ZT's that are listed super high. Must be for super high people.

Like I said, if you watch the right forums, you can grab a 0560 or whatever cheap... but it is not the pinnacle of ZT's lineup. Grab an 0804CF for $160-$180 and you will be doing much better. Or you could look on alibaba.com for a 0804CF knock-off for $125... free country.

You don't have to post all the knives, how about pics of some favorite knives and new ones that DID arrive????

Post that Luzon, etc... come on BRO. PICS kind of make this thread IMHO.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-16-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well, I still think you made my point.

If all that I can find are 0560's with asking prices of $300+, that's what I'll have to pay to get one. If I look long and hard enough maybe I'll find one in the $150 range as you suggest but I want one that "looks like" a 0560 NOW and if I find the real thing later fine but if I don't that's fine as well because I'll have the clone and a variety of real ZTs that I've purchased for an acceptable price as well.
HOW? I told you I bought one for $150... Sold one listed at $160 or two-fer set for $260. I told ya I see them for sale at $150-$160ish. I directly refuted what you said about that being impossible, improbable, doesn't happen, not the case, they all cost $300+, etc...

You are talking to a seller that let one go for $150-$160 in the last few months. What more do you want, a personal shopper? BLADE FORUMS EXCHANGE, INDIVIDUAL FOR SALE, PRODUCTION FOLDERS.

Old 10-16-2018, 1:43 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Can you stop saying "clone" and call it what it is?

Straight up FAKE!
Old 10-16-2018, 1:55 PM

Recently got a friend a knife as a thank you gift. Great Eastern Cutlery #38 with Mexican Bocote.

Old 10-16-2018, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
Recently got a friend a knife as a thank you gift. Great Eastern Cutlery #38 with Mexican Bocote.

Very nice GEC.
Old 10-16-2018, 3:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is a SWEEET Hinderer XM18 3.5 bowie tip folder on the Exchange right now for $335 with two scales (OD CANVAS and a translucent)... optional matched titanium scale too. No trades or I'd be asking. I know not everyone likes original Hinderer. Some might prefer a production copy, and some might prefer a knock-off of a production copy. Go figure.

There is someone selling two ZT 0562's also. One is $150 the other $180 - both look new. One is CF.
Old 10-16-2018, 4:51 PM
Banned

I recently picked up a Mora Companion HD as a beat around knife for camping.

For $20 I'm blown away. I made several feather sticks, did some batton work, carved a couple doorstops for my dad's boat, and chopped everything for dinner with it. Still hair popping sharp.

Incredible, I'll be buying a full tang Garberg model soon.
Old 10-16-2018, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked up a ZT0450cf and a ZT0452wbw ..... Looking to pick up a ZT0462cf.
Old 10-16-2018, 5:43 PM

anyone looking for a copper scale for the 0562?

Copper Scale
Old 10-16-2018, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
I was looking over WE Knives on eBay yesterday, that clip detail is pretty cool, what’s you opinion on their frame lock system, is it solid?

MM
Its solid. The frame lock has a replaceable metal insert. Seems really well built, though I would never hammer on it. I consider it more of a "Dress" knife than a throw down.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 10-17-2018, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Two brands I tend to steer clear of are Boker and Tops. I guess Bark River too, but not for any good reason. Other brands have always interested me more.

Anyone have some Tops knives they can comment on as far as fit, finish, heat treat, etc... Boker has been looking better and they have some manufacturers for certain models that are good. Boker usually loses me with the designs or steel choice, but I have owned two or three. Bark River always looked good, I just never bought one. I almost bought a Survivor quite a few times, but always had some SYKCO I wanted more pop up.

I am trying a Tops, I will post when it arrives.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice scores. What did you pay for the 0909? I will let you know if I see any 0620's.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Gotta put a limit on it somewhere but I think that this is a good start.
This guy is selling off the collection and has a $5 discount per additional knife - no limit. Can't get much better than this... cheaper than I sold that 7 knife Kershaw set for I think.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...l-off.1618257/

He has various knives too... Brous, etc...

CQC 4XL in there
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Paid $130 plus $7 shipping. Compared w/other recent sales, I paid less than most. Please don't tell me that you think I paid too much. Please keep that to yourself.
Sounds good to me - I paid $180.

Geesh there's a lot of nice Kizer's popping up over there. That Toro for $100 was a great deal.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Just purchased the Harley Davidson Super glide twentieth Anniversary ultra limited Buck custom knife, handle by David Yellowhorse. It is number 127 of 300 made. Has red coral, mother of pearl, and turquoise inlays. Made in 1992.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Saw that listing.

The only knife I could have saved any significant $ on was the Kershaw Shield that I paid $60 for because it's discontinued and I couldn't find it anywhere else and just bought it from the 1st place I saw it. Actually, his is only the 2nd I've seen for sale new used. He's selling his for $20 but no box. Oh well . . . Not interested in any of the rest, either because I'm just not interested in them or the prices he's asking aren't discounted enough.

I like the looks of the SW bladed CF a lot better than the regular black bladed version of the 0620 but I'm not ready to pay the extra $100 for the CF that sellers are asking for. Can't just slap a CF scale on a regular one because I'd also rather have the SW blade. Got enough black knives and I like silver/polished better. So, I'll be looking for a used one in the sub-$200 range. Let me know if you see one like that, thanks!

I'm also in the market for a NIB Kershaw Boa. There's one for sale at just under $200 including shipping on eBay but most of the recent sales are at about $180 including shipping. Made an offer on one at $180, where the seller is asking $260; explained the reason why based on past sales. Not sure it'll matter to him. He hasn't declined the offer yet; it's just good for another day.
Yeah he is selling a couple nice Kizers, Spyderco's, Benchmade Bedlam, etc... stuff like that or Benchmades that already sold would be what I'd be looking at... but nothing there for me either. Those Shields looked nice when they announced but I never checked one out.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I like the looks of the SW bladed CF a lot better than the regular black bladed version of the 0620 but I'm not ready to pay the extra $100 for the CF that sellers are asking for. Can't just slap a CF scale on a regular one beca
He sold a bunch has 2 left:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Tolera...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wait, is the Shallot basically a bigger leek???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 10-19-2018, 7:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/shield

It's like the Cryo in that it's smaller and heavier than expected.
Yeah I mean, the "Hinderer" designs that lack his choice of material like decent blade steel and titanium feel like boat anchors. Still not sure why the 0909 doesn't bother me at all. I guess because the weight feels like it makes it tougher, not cheaper. 0566 feels good too, so I guess dehorning and good fit and finish go a long way - flipper could use some gimping.

Cryo G10 was one of my favorite cheap knives with speedsafe.

If you want something fun and unique try an EMBER.
Old 10-19-2018, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Interesting but not for me.

I prefer larger blades 2.75-3" min, which is why I won't buy a Chive or a Scallion even though they are Ken Onion designs. 3.5" is my sweet spot for an EDC but most of my knives run 3-4" in blade length with a few down to 2.75.
Yeah, it is kind of a cool knife that fits in the watch pocket for backup or if you just need to cut tape... surprisingly useable because of the way Rick Hinderer designed that one - there's a nice place to put your thumb on top of the blade... and kind of cool to have speedsafe on a knife that size. For $15 street or whatever pretty cool.

If you were carrying a wave opener all the time it might be a nice 2nd knife to grab from above the Emerson so you don't scare someone or try to gracefully pull the wave without opening it or cutting yourself

Last edited by crufflers; 10-19-2018 at 2:15 PM..
Old 10-19-2018, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I got the TOPS knife. I think it is great so far. Around $150 street price for these $144-$158 shipped from what I found. Around a 7" blade of 1075, visible hamon/differentially heat treated, interesting blade shape and grind, radiused and polished double guard, perfect fit and finish, layered micarta with liner and G10, thick stock 5/16", nice fullers, totally melted or deburred / dehorned, polished, nice light bluing, included kydex, leather and steel dangler sheath is great. It would cost $60-$100 for a sheath like that IMHO. Fit in the sheath is perfect - snaps in, doesn't rattle. If this is what all TOPS knives are like I'd buy more. Exceeds anything I have by OKC as far as the knife or the sheath fit and finish. Handle is pretty great too. Not the same shape at all, but it kind of reminds me of a RODENT6 in hand. It is not some beast of a chopper, just a nice Kabar type knife. Kind of in the same category as a Regulator.

Old 10-19-2018, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Man, I gotta get off of BladeForums!

Just bought another knife there and was also tempted to buy a set of six Real Steel knives too. Luckily, someone else bought them. I'm done for now - really. Just going to wait to get what I've bought and chill out until everything I've already bought has been received which will take awhile, especially for those coming from China. LOL!
GPK ships for free from IL and no tax 2-day priority.
Old 10-20-2018, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
I got the TOPS knife. I think it is great so far....

Ok, I give up, what model is that....sheesh, NM, Its right on the blade....

~Pope John Paul II

Last edited by BigStiCK; 10-20-2018 at 2:30 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
I got the TOPS knife. I think it is great so far. Around $150 street price for these $144-$158 shipped from what I found. Around a 7" blade of 1075, visible hamon/differentially heat treated, interesting blade shape and grind, radiused and polished double guard, perfect fit and finish, layered micarta with liner and G10, thick stock 5/16", nice fullers, totally melted or deburred / dehorned, polished, nice light bluing, included kydex, leather and steel dangler sheath is great. It would cost $60-$100 for a sheath like that IMHO. Fit in the sheath is perfect - snaps in, doesn't rattle. If this is what all TOPS knives are like I'd buy more. Exceeds anything I have by OKC as far as the knife or the sheath fit and finish. Handle is pretty great too. Not the same shape at all, but it kind of reminds me of a RODENT6 in hand. It is not some beast of a chopper, just a nice Kabar type knife. Kind of in the same category as a Regulator.
Nice one. I had a Tops Tracker way back in the day but wasn't impressed with it at all. It came not so sharp and the grind was pretty off. In more recent times however, a coworker bought the Longhorn Bowie and I got a chance to handle it for a bit. Felt and looked much better. He loves it and carries it on his hip whenever out in the backcountry or hunting. I've had my eye on the Tex Creek XL ever since it came out but have yet to pull the trigger on it.
Old 10-20-2018, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Nice one. I had a Tops Tracker way back in the day but wasn't impressed with it at all. It came not so sharp and the grind was pretty off. In more recent times however, a coworker bought the Longhorn Bowie and I got a chance to handle it for a bit. Felt and looked much better. He loves it and carries it on his hip whenever out in the backcountry or hunting. I've had my eye on the Tex Creek XL ever since it came out but have yet to pull the trigger on it.
Some of the reviews and the designs are what kept me away from TOPS... this one looked different enough to give it a shot. Really similar to a Regulator, almost exactly the same cutting edge and thickness... glides through wood batoning and slices up the thickest cardboard effortlessly. Probably not the first choice for slicing tomatoes or paper.

Old 10-21-2018, 6:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’m eyeing a Reeve Yarborough, looks new with a airborne Cordura sheath, numbered with the Ranger certificate, what’s a realistic high-end cost on these?

MM
Old 10-21-2018, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
I’m eyeing a Reeve Yarborough, looks new with a airborne Cordura sheath, numbered with the Ranger certificate, what’s a realistic high-end cost on these?

MM
Dunno what the collector market value would be. Chris Reeve still offers these. I don't know what the cost is to qualifying military looking to replace one or buy a updated one or duplicate, but the civilian version is $320 with a SPEC-OPS Combat Master - nice $50 sheath that works with most anything 8" blade or under.

You will probably have better luck asking on bladeforums or googling it to find previous sales.

https://www.osograndeknives.com//ind..._detail&p=4296

https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/yarborough-knife

Looking around I'd venture to guess $1200

Last edited by crufflers; 10-21-2018 at 8:22 AM..
Old 10-21-2018, 8:07 PM

XM-18 3” Gen 6
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Lots of variations. Got a pic?
Maybe he's like you and doesn't like posting pics. Just kidding.

The gen 6 sounds cool... lockbar insert (since gen5) and tri-way pivot so you can use washer bearings, teflon, or phos-bronze busings.

I like the larger 3.5 bowie... sweet knives.
Old 10-22-2018, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I can post pics but if I were to post pics of ALL of the knives that I've bought recently -- all 80+ or so -- I'd totally hijack the thread by inundating it w/pics.
You posted about 100,000 words about the same models in multiple posts. Just post a few pics... you know they are worth 1,000 words. Save your typing fingers. Same thing you are asking the other guy for... you don't want to read model numbers you want to see a pic. But whatever.
Old 10-22-2018, 6:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My Ebay offer/steal 0804CF... Nice 5 ounce blade. I already like it more than the 0801.
Old 10-22-2018, 7:23 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Sexy! ^^^
Old 10-23-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe he's like you and doesn't like posting pics. Just kidding.

The gen 6 sounds cool... lockbar insert (since gen5) and tri-way pivot so you can use washer bearings, teflon, or phos-bronze busings.

I like the larger 3.5 bowie... sweet knives.

Old 10-23-2018, 8:36 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Nice!

"We want MOAR pics!"

Delivered.
Old 10-23-2018, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Nice!

"We want MOAR pics!"

Delivered.
ok one more.
Old 10-23-2018, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

^^^
Sweet knife Gorgeous machine.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Crufflers: You were "right" (of course). I just bought this 0560 for $155 off of the Blade Forums.
Congrats on the 0560... if you find the lock sticks a bit, you can use sharpie on the contact surface of the lockbar. Surprisingly this works really well for quite a while. Really good large folder IMHO.