Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Spenceville cleanup Saturday March 17th, 2012 at 5 am

I assume most know where the range in Spenceville is located? If not, it is roughly 20 miles east of Marysville. Hopefully that gives a general idea of where it is without being more specific. If you don't know the way, meet me up ahead of the cleanup at 4 am here: Burger King off 65.

There has been a cleanup back on Jan 28th and there are pictures below. March 17th is the next go around.

I'd like to arrive on-location by 5 am. Why 5 am? Spenceville is a busy place; including the early morning hours.

Considering the time of year.... Does everyone have rain gear? Well then again with the weather the way it has been I wonder if we're going to get rain at all this year. Well, bring a poncho or whatever works.

For those interested whom are further north or coming from another direction entirely then perhaps someone else could stand in as a guide (at a different pre-meet location) for those whom might be unfamiliar with the route to Spenceville? Or.... If you are either interested, too far away and unfamiliar with the location combined then.... Perhaps someone else other than myself could be the 4 am guide at a different pre-meet point? (That was a mouthful).

For those whom are interested (and know the way) but are simply too far away to make the 5 am start then I will go and get things started (hopefully with a few other people at least) and I--or we--will see ya when I/we see ya.

If I don't hear from anyone whom feel they need to be shown the way before March 17th then I will head straight to the range to arrive by 5 am rather than waiting at the pre meet up point.

Bring work gloves, garbage bags, a rake or two. And something to shed potential rainfall.

Optional:

50 gallon garbage cans

Dust masks--The Spenceville range is particularly dusty at the firing line.

Last edited by scoob_i_e; 02-24-2012 at 5:15 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 8:38 PM

Im in! An early cleanup time is a great idea for Spenceville. I will see if I can get a few others to join us if they can get up that early.
Old 01-08-2012, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'll be coming from Stockton.
Old 01-08-2012, 9:24 PM

Great to hear there are others interested in an early start. I also have a handful of people that are interested in the 5 am start time.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 PM

You know I'm in. I made a weekday trip there last week and helped out some DFG guys who were in the process of cleaning up a bit of garbage.

They mentioned something about a clean-up on the 11th? I guess they are trying to hit it on days where it is not so busy.

Anyway, it might be good to get them informed so even if they are not there, we get some good PR out of it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM

I am 80% sure that I am in.... My wife works Saturday's and I need to be with the kids (no I can't bring them along - I wouldn't get much work done that way), but I might be able to put in 2-3 hours of work before she needs to leave.

I have been to Spenceville a few times and need to pay my dues (even though I carry out my own trash).
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM

I'm going and bringing a few people
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Hoping the weather will clear up to help make it a quicker / easier clean up day on Saturday!

Are you all bringing guns and ammo to use while there? After it's clean.... Or are you all just going for the clean-up and heading out? I, for one, would have a hard time leaving without shooting...
Old 01-23-2012, 9:44 PM

i will be there at 5. unless scoob you need me to help guide people. let me know if you want me at the range or if you need help elsewhere!!! has anyone thought about posting some fliers a week or so in advance of this clean up schedule? maybe even include a 'CAL GUNS RANGE CLEANUP' or 'sponsored by CAL GUNS' for the PR.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you probably won't need one again.
Old 01-23-2012, 9:45 PM

maybe posting fliers a week in advance would get us some more help from non cal guns members

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you probably won't need one again.
Old 01-25-2012, 4:51 PM

Thanks bury for the offer! Although I haven't been contacted by anyone that needs to be shown the way in. So as of right now I will be proceeding directly to the range but I am still willing to wait at the pre meet point if necessary.

I will bring a rifle that I need to check zero on but I don't plan to shoot beyond what is necessary to do that.
Old 01-26-2012, 8:30 AM

I would like to pitch in, never been out there but as a new shooter figured I should pay my dues and keep these spots from being shut down.

I would need to follow someone in unless somebody wants to PM me more exact directions.
Old 01-27-2012, 4:54 PM

Forecast for tomorrow (Jan 28th) indicates clear weather with a temp of 35 F at 5 am warming to 42 F by 9 am.
Old 01-27-2012, 6:26 PM

Im still in and I will be at the Lincoln circle K on hwy 65 at about 4:15-4:20ish and will be heading from there to the range at around 4:30 if anyone needs to follow. I will be in a white Chevy truck with a camper shell and probably the only other person on the road at that time on a Saturday morning.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:10 AM

I will be on the way soon. Though I will probably be in quite the mood. I just received some pretty bad news yesterday. But I have made a commitment, so I will be there.
Old 01-28-2012, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

too bad I work today
Old 01-28-2012, 5:22 PM

Requesting assistance from DFG to close the range will be necessary even with a 5 am start time. We had (non cleanup) visitors by 7 am. So, unless anyone wants to go cleaning at 3 or 4 am next time, then yes we will certainly have to get DFG involved on the next go.

Old 01-28-2012, 5:24 PM

Behind the 25 yard berm. The shotgun shot cups behind the 25 yard line are absolutely prolific!

The plan here was to continue to take pictures as the pile grew but yes, I sort of forgot to do that.

Then I forgot to snap a picture of the completed pile when we were done. But I assure you that we scraped and picked up enough to fill a full size truck bed and-a-half in the two hours that we were there. Of which DK hauled the majority out. Again, I am very appreciative of your willingness to do that by the way.

Suzy helped as much as she could but you might well imagine why she had such difficulty in helping what with the one limb and all. And due to her obvious lack of articulation having been born without joints of any kind.

Old 01-28-2012, 5:25 PM

In the picture: Me, bury87, RogueDog, ShooterDK, subijitsu

Last edited by scoob_i_e; 01-28-2012 at 5:40 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 6:03 PM

Great job! Hope to see it that way for awhile.
Old 01-29-2012, 7:49 AM

it was nice meeting you guys and i will def be at the next one. the best part was when people started showing up to shoot, and one truck with 4 elderly gentlemen pulled up and approached us and thanked us. it was a good opportunity to share what calguns is all about.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM

This was my first cleanup. I left with a full pickup load which was about 1/3 or so of the total trash that was cleaned off the range. Nice to meet you guys, also!
Old 01-30-2012, 1:23 PM

i would just like to thank you guys for all the work you have put in out at the range. i hope to make it to a clean up day soon. till then i just clean up what i can and take home what will fit in the back.

latesvak
Old 02-04-2012, 8:26 PM

It was great meeting you guys out there and I just today dumped the stuff that I took in my truck. I got some weird looks in traffic all week with the shot to hell targets that were up against the back window of my camper.

Much respect to ShooterDK for coming all that way at the buttcrack of before dawn to help at our little range.

Hopefully I can make the next cleanup and actually get a chance to put some lead down range when we are done.
Old 02-05-2012, 7:58 PM

^Big respect back to you subijitsu and to the rest of the crew that showed up on a pretty cold morning.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Well done Guys! I would like to thank you guys for all the work.
Old 02-21-2012, 5:16 AM

Honestly I find it fun/rewarding to clean up a mess which I was not personally responsible for. Especially at 5 am. Who wants to go on March 17th?
Old 02-21-2012, 5:17 PM

count me in for the 17th!!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 5:17 PM

Thanks for being willing to come out again bury! Oh and thanks to everyone who showed up the last time. I apologize for my rudeness for not thanking you all earlier.

Anyone else interested in going on March 17th at 5 am?
Old 02-24-2012, 7:41 PM

Can't make this round scoob. Work schedule has changed. I on a Wed. thru Sat. shift until Oct. One of you gunners out there will need to step in and take my place for now.
Old 02-24-2012, 7:57 PM

I was just there last weekend and was talking to some guys there and my buddies I was with about doing a clean-up run. It was trashed (typical).

I'll double check my work schedule but I should be good to go. I'll try and recruits some of my work shooting buddies too.
Old 03-12-2012, 3:31 PM

I am planning on making it again unless it is raining.
Old 03-12-2012, 3:53 PM

New to Calguns, but not Spenceville range. Im going to spread the word. Ill be there bright and early.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Is this still on for Saturday?
Old 03-14-2012, 5:49 PM

The forecast for Sat is solid rain. Anyone want to reschedule this cleanup? Spenceville turns into a mud bog when it rains.

Last edited by Clinton; 03-14-2012 at 5:53 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
The forecast for Sat is solid rain. Anyone want to reschedule this cleanup? Spenceville turns into a mud bog when it rains.
...and yet that is the best time to go...when nobody else does. Trying to free up my schedule to be there Saturday, clean up or not!
Old 03-15-2012, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When its not raining, fat people absorb too much water and hate mud.

I'll check in on the next one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 03-15-2012, 7:38 PM
CGSSA Leader

is this still on for Saturday, I can bring a full size truck and a 7x12x4 trailer if needed, also rakes and snow shovels and a couple of wheel barrows, let me know if I can get in Ok I have a big dually and a 2500 pound trailer empty. I’ve never been so need direction on getting to the range or meet up somewhere, please PM with info, ill be coming out of Livermore so if anyone wants to carpool pm as well.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined, PATRICK HENRY 1778
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM

I'm definitely still going rain or not! I'll be bringing my rain gear. As mentioned, forecast for tomorrow is indeed rain...... 40 F rain specifically.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM

I want to go help, and working in some light rain is no big deal. So if I wake up at 4 and its mild, I'll plan to show up. If its a downpour, I think I'll sit it out and wait for a reschedule.

IMO, it might be a good idea to reschedule this either way. A good turnout is never going to happen with rain in the forecast, and by the looks of things, the forecast will be spot-on for tomorrow. Why not put it off a week or two? At this point, there doesn't appear to be but a few committed persons, so a reschedule would be quite easy. I think it makes good sense if we want the clean-up effort to be well-attended and successful.

I've committed $10 a month to the CalGuns Foundation. Have you??? Join us and donate here!