Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2019, 8:08 PM

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
I've been flying RC airplanes for almost 20 years and Mid Airs do happen. With smaller airplanes usually there is no disagreements and hand shakes and laughter settle the matter BUT with large scale airplanes people have ended up suing one another. I'd imagine if you wilfully destroyed another person's property you might end up in court.
Do RC airplanes have to be registered with the FAA like drones?

I had a couple something like 50 years ago and there were no FFA requirements or restrictions on them, but it wouldn't surprise me if that has changed too.

Hell, I remember back close to 40 years ago when even ultralight aircraft were unregulated. I came back from Germany in the spring of 1980, and there was a place on Beach Blvd. in Huntington Beach selling ultralights. They had one that was bright red with WW1 German Iron Cross markings like the Red Baron's plane that I really wanted.

I think one of those big RC model Fokker tri-planes with something like a couple .22 rifles or pistols built into it would be cool. Illegal, probably, but cool

My grandfather was a pilot in the 50th Aero Squadron in France in WW1, and the aircraft from that era have always given me serious wood.

I look at those big RC WW1 planes, and I think of arming one, and I think of spy drones, and I think that if those WW1 RC planes were real and the drone was an enemy aircraft, what would Eddie Rickenbacker or Manfred von Richthofen do.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:14 PM

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Lots of real estate dudes are now using drones to get diferent images of properties for sale...

Harmless but annoying.
Yes, as a realtor who specializes in rural estate, agricultural, and recreational properties, I am aware of this.

And right now in my area, due to the alleged Newcastle Disease epidemic, chicken killers from various government agencies are using drones to snoop around in peoples yards looking for poultry that they can then go massacre.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:37 PM

I think there is way too much Drone Paranoia these days. Unless it is hovering outside your daughters bedroom window I would not worry about it.

99.9% of the drones you see are people that got them for fun, not to spy on you.

Drones have very limited range and flight time, if you are concerned, jump in your car and follow it to its owner and have a word with them. Or his mom and dad.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Do RC airplanes have to be registered with the FAA like drones?

No, and as far as I know, Drones do not have to be registered. I believe that was legislation they were pushing for a short time but got reversed.

UPDATE.. On the drones, I guess you do have to register? I could have swore I heard they dropped that requirement.
See link below.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 05-18-2019 at 8:47 PM..
Old 05-18-2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
I think there is way too much Drone Paranoia these days. Unless it is hovering outside your daughters bedroom window I would not worry about it.

99.9% of the drones you see are people that got them for fun, not to spy on you.

Drones have very limited range and flight time, if you are concerned, jump in your car and follow it to its owner and have a word with them. Or his mom and dad.
I take it you're one of them city boys?
Old 05-18-2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
I take it you're one of them city boys?
LOL, Fk No. I did just move to my new place this month in a little town of 18K people. But before this I have been living out in an area where on a clear night you can see the distant glow of the city. No wired internet or cable services, More horses than dogs. The nearest grocery store is 14 miles out past the orchards. I had a drone in the area and over my property now and then but not worried about it in the least. odds are they are kids and our properties are so open in the area that you are not really going to see much more with a drone than you can driving down the street past the place.
Old 05-18-2019, 9:44 PM

So no roving bands of tweakers, scrap metal thieves, and other criminal scum looking to steal anything they can?

No clandestine marijuana grows, with the cartels robbing and murdering non-cartel growers?

You must not be in Southwest Riverside County, between Hemet and Anza.

The geography, geology, and demographics are a lot different where I live.

From the top of my property, I'm looking due south right down on Stanley Road where it runs next to Rancho Pavoreal, John Wayne's old ranch. From the back of my property it's about a 500 foot walk down the hill to Stanley Road. But to do the same thing in a vehicle it's a several mile drive in a big circle. What roads there are out here are mainly dirt roads, with lots of land - often rough impassable terrain and/or fenced private property - with no roads on it between them So it's not like you are just going to hop in your car and follow a drone back to where it came from. Unless you can fly like it, you ain't following it. Like a lot of folks out here, my place is kind of remote and I don't have many close neighbors - 1 actually. They don't have any drones, so if I were to see one, it wouldn't be theirs.

I've had the cartel spy helicopter flying around my place, and I've had a tweaker thief on a quad who was casing out my house and the neighbor's trespass on my property and attack my daughter when she told her to leave. I held her at gunpoint until the cops showed up. I also shot up a car that a bunch of tweaker thieves were in when I caught them burglarizing my next closest neighbor's place and they tried to run me down as they took off.

There used to be a lot of meth houses out here too, and while I'm sure there are still a few, they are pretty much gone. There used to be one up the road from me, but a friend got tired of their sh*t and burned it down after they tried to ambush him on the road and he ended up in a gun battle with them. Now there is a big marijuana grow on the same spot, and possibly cartel connected as they didn't get robbed when all the other ones around here did.

Last edited by Marcus von W.; 05-18-2019 at 9:57 PM..
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
No, and as far as I know, Drones do not have to be registered. I believe that was legislation they were pushing for a short time but got reversed.

UPDATE.. On the drones, I guess you do have to register? I could have swore I heard they dropped that requirement.
See link below.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/
ALL small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) that weigh more than 0.55 pounds must be registered. Drones, model airplanes, etc. If they meet the definition of a sUAS, then they must be registered.

Hobby pilots technically register themselves and receive a single number that they put on all their aircraft (model airplanes, drones.)

Commercial pilots (Part 107) must register each and every aircraft they fly. Each gets its own number.

Registration is $5 for 3 years.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 PM

What if your under 16 teen takes one out with a slingshots? Warning?

I am always amused by the idiot criminals who work harde to make a dishonest buck than just being hard workers.

Red
Old 05-21-2019, 5:09 PM

Few things to consider....

1) A device (drone) must accept any interference received. Its the law.
2) Take up a new hobby. Learn up on building a spark gap transmitter.
3) Let gravity do the rest from very far away.
Old 05-25-2019, 6:36 PM

So the recommendation seems to be; if you see a drone coming your way quickly disrobe so that it’s camera will now be involved in prohibited activity.

Skirmisher
Old 05-25-2019, 7:46 PM

what about the commonality between looking over someones fence with a camera and recording/not recording, compared to flying a drone? privacy is privacy, and private airspace being private....

how can you not interpret someone flying a drone over your property (let alone recording) as a legitimate invasion of your privacy? (given the OP's situation) Not to mention california's requiring 2 party consent for recording private things....

Would it be illegal for me to fly my own drone; (weight irrelevant) and shoot it down myself for target practice? (assuming it is legal to do so in my area)

I can see it being a grey area; mainly for destruction of property...
but IMHO they took that risk flying into privately owned airspace...(assuming no trespassing signs posted as per the laws requirement, etc)

I mean, if you live in the city; yes.... it happens.... its a city with a large sum of people; you wouldnt grab a gun and just shoot down the random drone flying across your backyard unless you were nuts.

but rural, and in a position where its not your literal neighbor flying it around your house/airspace/property.... There has to be something to be said about that.

If I were to be flying $8000+ over someones property; (somewhere other than public airspace) I would make damned sure I could retrieve it if it went down, or it was safe/ok to fly it around their property.

I do agree that it breeches on shooting at "aircraft"... but we get into a whole mess when trying to understand what laws actually apply to this sort of "pest control". Obviously I; as a reasonable man would seek out the operator to have them cease and desist. If they refused, I would protect my liberty/rights/property by whatever means is necessary and reasonable after attempting to stop them in the most civil of manners.

Last edited by JaredKaragen; 05-25-2019 at 7:49 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredKaragen View Post
what about the commonality between looking over someones fence with a camera and recording/not recording, compared to flying a drone? privacy is privacy, and private airspace being private....
most drones are not looking over your fence to spy on you.

how can you not interpret someone flying a drone over your property (let alone recording) as a legitimate invasion of your privacy? (given the OP's situation) Not to mention california's requiring 2 party consent for recording private things....

there is no invasion of privacy where most anyone can see it, and i believe the 2 party is only for voice, if not then all security cams are illegal.

Would it be illegal for me to fly my own drone; (weight irrelevant) and shoot it down myself for target practice? (assuming it is legal to do so in my area)

yes.
shooting down any aircraft (yes drones by fed law are aircraft) is a felony.

I can see it being a grey area; mainly for destruction of property...
but IMHO they took that risk flying into privately owned airspace...(assuming no trespassing signs posted as per the laws requirement, etc)

there is no trespass in the air even 5 feet above you, the feds clam ownership of this. there is No privately owned air space in the USA

I mean, if you live in the city; yes.... it happens.... its a city with a large sum of people; you wouldnt grab a gun and just shoot down the random drone flying across your backyard unless you were nuts.

but rural, and in a position where its not your literal neighbor flying it around your house/airspace/property.... There has to be something to be said about that.

record the faa number and file a complainant. O the drone was too far away to read the number, so it is too far away to video you anyhow.

If I were to be flying $8000+ over someones property; (somewhere other than public airspace) I would make damned sure I could retrieve it if it went down, or it was safe/ok to fly it around their property.

I do agree that it breeches on shooting at "aircraft"... but we get into a whole mess when trying to understand what laws actually apply to this sort of "pest control". Obviously I; as a reasonable man would seek out the operator to have them cease and desist. If they refused, I would protect my liberty/rights/property by whatever means is necessary and reasonable after attempting to stop them in the most civil of manners.
and the newer drones (hobiest style) have onboard programs that give all flight data to the communist chinese (search DJI drones) and the feds back at Langley.
it is a auto report for this info. but might take a major law suite for "person" to get this info. bigger very pricey drones have this as well as tracking info sent real time to someone, plus the feds get it on there tracking computers. then there are the drones owned by the feds, state, local police, "other" police, even some local governments are using them to see what is on your property (taxes).
so not every drone is trying to spy on you. most are the ones the government owned that care about what you got.
heck the big blow-up at the gatwick airport, it was found out the drone seen was owned and being flown by the airport police.

Old 06-03-2019, 6:30 PM

Get yourself a Bermuda Triangle. Problems solved.

Lead4bfast=I eat lead for breakfast...
Old 06-03-2019, 6:59 PM

In the eyes of the government RC airplanes are Drones and must be registered, I do not.

When ever someone asks me about drones or say they don't like them because they spy I show them this video. Nikon makes a cameras that you can buy at Best Buy or Amazon for a few hundred dollars that can see a MILLION times better than our drone cameras. https://youtu.be/b0HX3hczkYQ
Old 06-03-2019, 7:32 PM

Defcon had/has some great technical lectures on how to stop drones with less than lethal means. They may be on YouTube nowadays.
Old 06-03-2019, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Is it really worth anyone’s time to get a bunch of ham equipment, antennas, amps and other such to be able to overpower certain fcc regulated spectrums.....

Most people who flew drones in the area got bored after 2-3 weeks

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-05-2019, 6:41 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

drones can have mid air collisions accidentally......