Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 4:50 PM

Default CA "Real ID" D/L vs "Federal Limits Apply"

I'm getting mixed information regarding purchasing a firearm. Some gun stores have no problem, others won't sell. What is the current CA law? Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 4:52 PM

When I picked up a new pistol recently you have to have a real ID, passport, or birth cert. I do not have a real ID and had to go home and get my birth certificate for them to release it to me. They said it's new law this year. I wish they told me when I purchased the gun and not when I was picking it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 5:53 PM

Depends on the FFL.....everyone sees it differently....best is to ask first.....get their plan.
Old 05-09-2019, 5:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The law currently: REAL ID is not required.

Old 05-09-2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
The law currently: REAL ID is not required.
So the FFL I went to was giving me a bunch of BS. Figures they didn't even mention it until I went to pick it up.

Old 05-09-2019, 6:01 PM

My LGS started requiring it last year.
Old 05-09-2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation650 View Post
My LGS started requiring it last year.
From the area code in your name my guess would be the Gun Vault?

Old 05-09-2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTrav View Post
From the area code in your name my guess would be the Gun Vault?

Or he likes planes.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 05-09-2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Or he likes planes.
Ah it's a aviator term as well ha.

Old 05-09-2019, 6:58 PM

July 1 you will need Real ID to purchase a firearm.
CRPA Member

"Liberals have two related goals. First, to establish themselves as morally and intellectually superior to the distasteful population of common people; and second, to gather as much power as possible to tell those distasteful common people how they must live their lives"
~Ronald Reagan
Old 05-09-2019, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

REAL ID's are not required to acquire firearms or ammunition for both CA and Federal. The issue is FLA DL's are identical to newly issued AB60 illegal immigrant DL's.

DOJ has recommended that FFL's request an additional proof of "right to be in the US" document, but it is not the law. Many FFL's are requiring this as a CYA.

Their house, their rules.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
So the FFL I went to was giving me a bunch of BS. Figures they didn't even mention it until I went to pick it up.

My understanding is it's up to the dealer...

This article from the NRA-ILA is a carbon copy of the one CRPA sent out: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...earm-purchases

And this is the notice CA DoJ issued: https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...apply%E2%80%9D
CA DoJ Consumer Alert: https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/atta...er-alert_0.pdf

Basically afaik: The dealer is not required to refuse anyone with non-Real-IDs, but they're allowed to request additional documentation from those who present non-Real-IDs. The message from ATF also suggests that the processing of forms using non-Real-IDs may be delayed, but I don't know how that's actually translated.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:05 PM

This whole real ID situation is dumb, Just another way for the state to get more money... want a real ID? Pay more than the normal amount.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcision View Post
This whole real ID situation is dumb, Just another way for the state to get more money... want a real ID? Pay more than the normal amount.
Real IDs are part of a federal initiative that states implement. They have additional requirements, one of them being they're printed from a central facility, which is why when you go into the DMV you're still waiting 2-3 weeks for your Real ID to come in the mail.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Except that there is no extra charge for a Real ID license.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post
Real IDs are part of a federal initiative that states implement. They have additional requirements, one of them being they're printed from a central facility, which is why when you go into the DMV you're still waiting 2-3 weeks for your Real ID to come in the mail.
My Real ID license took 7 days to arrive in my mailbox, including a postal holiday.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Cite the law, please.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:42 PM

I was told a birth certificate or passport was sufficient if you did not have a real ID.

Old 05-09-2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I think we should blame the CA judges who overturned the vote of the people in CA years ago. We voted and passed “no drivers license for illegal residents”.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
Cite the law, please.
DOJ ruling

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/atta...er-alert_0.pdf

Law: Cal. Stats. 2018, ch. 885, S.B. 244
CRPA Member

"Liberals have two related goals. First, to establish themselves as morally and intellectually superior to the distasteful population of common people; and second, to gather as much power as possible to tell those distasteful common people how they must live their lives"
~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Featureless; 05-09-2019 at 7:54 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I was told a birth certificate or passport was sufficient if you did not have a real ID.

It is up to the FFL. There is no law which says that you must show a Real ID or anything else to prove legal presence. There are laws which say that an FFL cannot transfer a firearm to a person whom they suspect is not legally present.

What changed with the AB60 licenses is that the DMV will issue a driver license or ID to anyone who walks in the door, and otherwise satisfies the requirements. For a driver license you must demonstrate that you are of age, know the laws and have adequate vision, but nothing else.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
It is up to the FFL. There is no law which says that you must show a Real ID or anything else to prove legal presence. There are laws which say that an FFL cannot transfer a firearm to a person whom they suspect is not legally present.

What changed with the AB60 licenses is that the DMV will issue a driver license or ID to anyone who walks in the door, and otherwise satisfies the requirements. For a driver license you must demonstrate that you are of age, know the laws and have adequate vision, but nothing else.
What I find funny is they knew I am a CCW holder and still made me go home and get my birth certificate. Oh well now I know for next time. Luckily I live close and it was no big deal.

Old 05-09-2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
DOJ ruling

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/atta...er-alert_0.pdf

Law: Cal. Stats. 2018, ch. 885, S.B. 244
Are you are referring to Vehicle Code Section 12801.9 (l):
Quote:
(l) A license issued pursuant to this section shall not be used as evidence of an individual’s citizenship or immigration status for any purpose.
It is still up to the FFL to determine a person's legal presence. There is no legal requirement that an FFL use any specific method to determine legal presence. If you read the DOJ memo, it is worded as a suggestion.

In any case, that section of law went into effect on January 1, 2019.
Old 05-09-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Are you are referring to Vehicle Code Section 12801.9 (l):
It is still up to the FFL to determine a person's legal presence. There is no legal requirement that an FFL use any specific method to determine legal presence. If you read the DOJ memo, it is worded as a suggestion.

In any case, that section of law went into effect on January 1, 2019.
You are not reading the links I provided. Without Real ID you are required to prove legal residence. Not a problem for me (or you) since we both already have Real ID. If an FFL refuses to sell to you without Real ID, maybe you could baffle them with your imagined advanced legal knowledge however.

Edited to add: I have spoken with 3 local FFLs who have advised me that I will need Real ID to purchase a firearm after 7/1/19. If you don't like that, maybe you should go argue with them. They control who buys and who doesn't. You cannot force them to sell to you.
CRPA Member

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Featureless; 05-09-2019 at 8:43 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
You are not reading the links I provided. Without Real ID you are required to prove legal residence. Not a problem for me (or you) since we both already have Real ID. If an FFL refuses to sell to you without Real ID, maybe you could baffle them with your imagined advanced legal knowledge however.

Edited to add: I have spoken with 3 local FFLs who have advised me that I will need Real ID to purchase a firearm after 7/1/19. If you don't like that, maybe you should go argue with them. They control who buys and who doesn't. You cannot force them to sell to you.
I read the links, the bill, and the current statute. It is not a legal requirement that an FFL use any particular document to determine your legal presence. It is completely up to the FFL to determine a buyer's legal presence. I agree that it would be wise for an FFL to require a Real ID or another document such as a passport or a green card, etc. to prove legal presence, but it is not a legal requirement.

And, I don't know where the July 1 date is coming from.

Yes, we both have Real IDs. However, now the DHS is saying that California did not satisfy the proof of residency requirements, but the requirement of two documents is not spelled out in the federal Real ID law. Crazy stuff!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I have spoken with 3 local FFLs who have advised me that I will need Real ID to purchase a firearm after 7/1/19. If you don't like that, maybe you should go argue with them. They control who buys and who doesn't. You cannot force them to sell to you.
Name those 3 FFLs
Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 PM

All I know is my 2 FFLs will require a Real ID, one of those FFLs is Riflegear. I'm no longer concerned because I got a real ID. It was less difficult than I expected, but I needed a new DL anyway and it was the one that required me to take the test again.

I don't buy from them, but I believe Turner's is requiring Real ID's too.
Old 05-10-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
I read the links, the bill, and the current statute. It is not a legal requirement that an FFL use any particular document to determine your legal presence. It is completely up to the FFL to determine a buyer's legal presence. I agree that it would be wise for an FFL to require a Real ID or another document such as a passport or a green card, etc. to prove legal presence, but it is not a legal requirement.

And, I don't know where the July 1 date is coming from.

Yes, we both have Real IDs. However, now the DHS is saying that California did not satisfy the proof of residency requirements, but the requirement of two documents is not spelled out in the federal Real ID law. Crazy stuff!
I will follow up with the FFLs to find out the reason for the requirement and the date and post the answer here.

The docs I provided to DMV are:
1) Certificate of Vital Record from the LA County Clerk (Birth certificate)
2) Social Security card
3) Voter registration card mailed to my residence address
4) CA DMV auto registration mailed to my residence address

I had the Real ID a week to the day later.

The only hangup at DMV were the test computers. They didn't 'recognize' my fingerprint and kept cycling back to the beginning menu. This happened with several other people also.
CRPA Member

~Ronald Reagan
Old 05-10-2019, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I will show my proud illegal alien drivers license. Passport is being renewed and that will be my CA ID from now on. CA ID's are not reliable and will be found invalid again by the feds.

Homey don't play games with Excremento.
Old 05-10-2019, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I will show my proud illegal alien drivers license. Passport is being renewed and that will be my CA ID from now on. CA ID's are not reliable and will be found invalid again by the feds.

The issue was that licenses issued before January 22, 2019 only required
one document proving residency. After January 22, 2019 DMV required two documents so licenses issued after that date comply with fed.
CRPA Member

~Ronald Reagan
Old 05-10-2019, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post

Yep, just throw that out there with zero sources to back it up.
Are you just spreading FUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMo View Post
Almost every poll shows Trump losing very badly, yet poeple still believe some conspiracy. The party p[icked the weakest candidate so they have to own that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2a View Post
Anything to protect Cheeto. Even though he just signed basically a gun confiscation order.
YES, TDS IS REAL, ORANGE MAN BAD

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-10-2019, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
All I know is my 2 FFLs will require a Real ID, one of those FFLs is Riflegear. I'm no longer concerned because I got a real ID. It was less difficult than I expected, but I needed a new DL anyway and it was the one that required me to take the test again.

I don't buy from them, but I believe Turner's is requiring Real ID's too.
Incorrect.
Both Riflegear and Turner's accept:
Regular unexpired DL/ID (no logo)
"FLA" DL/ID with documents
Real ID (bear logo)
Old 05-10-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:
I have spoken with 3 local FFLs who have advised me that I will need Real ID to purchase a firearm after 7/1/19. If you don't like that, maybe you should go argue with them. They control who buys and who doesn't. You cannot force them to sell to you.

Name those 3 FFLs

Well ?? who are those 3 FFLs? Why you are not naming them?

Stop spreading FUD!
Old 05-10-2019, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
Incorrect.
Both Riflegear and Turner's accept:
Regular unexpired DL/ID (no logo)
"FLA" DL/ID with documents
Real ID (bear logo)
Interesting. Around December Riflegear wouldn't DROS a gun for me (after I bought it from them and bought another one 2 months earlier). Said I needed a RealID. So I bought elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
Interesting. Around December Riflegear wouldn't DROS a gun for me (after I bought it from them and bought another one 2 months earlier). Said I needed a RealID. So I bought elsewhere.
Below is from Riflegear's Boss on FLA in another thread recently here.

04-16-2019, 5:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Feedback Score: 30 reviews, 100%
Ok, here is the "official" reply from RifleGear:

Ever since 1/22/2018 when the state of California started implementing the brilliant idea of issuing Federal Limits Apply licenses to citizens (after previously only issuing them to people here illegally), the question of whether or not they were valid for the Federal 4473 ID requirements became very confusing for everyone involved. Some FFLs would take them, others would not, and the rest didn't know what to do. The conflicting information from the state and federal agencies didn't help the situation much.

So after some clarifying information from the ATF and discussing it with our lawyer, we decided to start accepting FLA licenses, dated AFTER 1/22/2018, if the DL was supplemented with one of the acceptable forms of proof of legal status:
Unexpired U.S. passport of passport card
Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. state or U.S. territory
U.S. certified or consular report of birth abroad
Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form
Certificate of naturalization or citizenship
Valid, unexpired Permanent resident Card
Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/unexpired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7#post22905437
Old 05-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Name those 3 FFLs

Well ?? who are those 3 FFLs? Why you are not naming them?

Stop spreading FUD!
Name them or.......what?
CRPA Member

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Featureless; 05-10-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM

OK I just spoke with one of the local FFLs who told me (last November, when I bought a Glock in his store that Real ID will be required 7/1/19) that there has been an extension from CA DOJ and Real ID is not necessary to purchase a firearm at the present time as long as the buyer can prove citizenship AND residence with a minimum of 2 documents. (Which was the issue with fed before DMV began requiring 2 docs proving residency after January 22, 2019)

In other words, if you don't have the Real ID you'll need the same documents required for Real ID in order to purchase a firearm.

Now that's changed from what he told me in November, so if anybody wants to challenge that have at it.
CRPA Member

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Featureless; 05-10-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Below is from Riflegear's Boss on FLA in another thread recently here.

04-16-2019, 5:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Feedback Score: 30 reviews, 100%
Ok, here is the "official" reply from RifleGear:

Ever since 1/22/2018 when the state of California started implementing the brilliant idea of issuing Federal Limits Apply licenses to citizens (after previously only issuing them to people here illegally), the question of whether or not they were valid for the Federal 4473 ID requirements became very confusing for everyone involved. Some FFLs would take them, others would not, and the rest didn't know what to do. The conflicting information from the state and federal agencies didn't help the situation much.

So after some clarifying information from the ATF and discussing it with our lawyer, we decided to start accepting FLA licenses, dated AFTER 1/22/2018, if the DL was supplemented with one of the acceptable forms of proof of legal status:
Unexpired U.S. passport of passport card
Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. state or U.S. territory
U.S. certified or consular report of birth abroad
Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form
Certificate of naturalization or citizenship
Valid, unexpired Permanent resident Card
Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/unexpired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7#post22905437
I would say he should have a talk with his sales staff.
Old 05-10-2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Name them or.......what?
or you're making stuff up. If your story is so true name those FFLs you talked with and we all can call them and verify.

Quote:
OK I just spoke with one of the local FFLs who told me (last November, when I bought a Glock in his store that Real ID will be required 7/1/19) that there has been an extension from CA DOJ and Real ID is not necessary to purchase a firearm at the present time as long as the buyer can prove citizenship AND residence with a minimum of 2 documents. (Which was the issue with fed before DMV began requiring 2 docs proving residency after January 22, 2019)

In other words, if you don't have the Real ID you'll need the same documents required for Real ID in order to purchase a firearm.

Now that's changed from what he told me in November, so if anybody wants to challenge that have at it.
Oh so your story now changed ^^ hmmmmmmmm

You were so sure to post these in the first place, won't name the FFLs and now you said you just called them and it changed? hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Quote:
I have spoken with 3 local FFLs who have advised me that I will need Real ID to purchase a firearm after 7/1/19.

Last edited by sfe187; 05-10-2019 at 5:07 PM..
Old 05-10-2019, 5:37 PM

I just bought a handgun on April 15th and used a “Federal Limits Apply” CDL and no problem whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk