Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2019, 2:24 AM

Default Can we still do glock 80% builds?

Wanted to know if we could still do Glock 19 80% Builds? I tried doing a search I couldnít answer my question with 100% accuracy.
Just wanted to make sure California didnít axe this as well.
Old 05-08-2019, 3:43 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tardo View Post
Wanted to know if we could still do Glock 19 80% Builds? I tried doing a search I couldnít answer my question with 100% accuracy.
Just wanted to make sure California didnít axe this as well.
Nope. That boat sailed, for good, on 06-30-2018.

Starting 07-01-2018, self-made (80%) firearms require CA DOJ approved information engraved on the firearm in order to be CA legal [PC 29180(b)] and a requirement for self-made firearm with a non-metallic receiver/frame is to have the CA DOJ isssued serial number marked on 3.7oz of PH 17-4 stainless steel embedded in the receiver/frame (in such a manner that removal with significantly damage or destroy the receiver/frame) [PC 29180(b)(2)(B) and 11 CCR 5519].

No commerically available 80% polymer receiver/frame meets the 3.7oz PH 17-4 stainless steel requirement.

In addition...
1. All self-made firearms must comply with CA assault weapons laws and generally prohibited weapons (AW, DD, MG, SBR, SBS, etc) laws. [PC 29182(e)(1)]
2. All self-made handguns need to be made in compliance with CA unsafe handgun laws. [PC 29182(e)(2)]

Which means, in order to be CA legal...
1. A self-made revolver needs to pass CA DOJ safety testing. [PC 31910(a)]
2. A self-made manually operated repeating pistol needs to pass CA DOJ safety testing. [PC 31910(b)]
3. A self-made semi-auto pistol needs to have all CA mandated safety features (chamber load indicator, magazine disconnect mechansim, microstamping array) and pass CA DOJ safety testing. [PC 31910(b)]

In order to avoid all that...
1. A self-made revolver needs to be a dimensionally compliant single-action revolver. [PC 32100(a)]
2. A self-made pistol needs to be a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or a dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistol. [PC 32100(b)]
^In order to remain CA legal, a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistol needs to remain configured as such while it is in CA. Modifying it into another type of pistol would be viewed as manufacturing a new unsafe handgun.

Starting 01-01-2019...
1. It is illegal to transfer the ownership of self-made firearms in CA [PC 29180(d)(1)], only exemption is for transferring to law enforcement for destruction. [PC 29180(d)(2)]
2. Non-exempt unregistered self-made firearms are subject to confiscation, and destruction, as evidence of violating CA self-made firearm laws. [PC 29180(d)(3)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 05-08-2019 at 3:53 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What Quiet said. I wanted a G43 so bad but did not want to pay classified prices. Had 2 LGs tell me good to go, they have costumers doing it and getting unique serial numbers. One a well known LGS in San Diego. I did a lot of research and found what Quiet posted, damn what a let down.

Quiet's post should be a sticky, which also applies to any 80% build.
Title it 80% build cliff notes

Last edited by riceman; 05-08-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many posts on this with info about 3.7 ounce stainless plate for polymer 80% lowers. And pistol builds.

Last edited by edgerly779; 05-08-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 2:29 PM

Yet they are still being sold at gun shows to people who have no idea!
Old 05-11-2019, 6:52 PM

There is one on Armslist that calms to be Full auto for sale lol Nice try ATF.
Old 05-11-2019, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
Yet they are still being sold at gun shows to people who have no idea!
Oh... they know.

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein
Old 05-25-2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
Oh... they know.
Some of us save collections of parts to assemble when the time is right..... Maybe can't do it now; but who knows a few years from now; you could be in a different state, or SHTF..... you never know.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:03 PM

While generally it is very difficult to do 80% glock builds legally in CA, you actually can end up with an 80% G43 (for example) that is semi auto and still be 100% legal. You will have to dump time and money into it.
I have AB857 exempt NFA pistol builds in process with the ATF as we speak. AB857 has a specific exemption for these types of firearms, therefore no 3.7oz requirement, no CADOJ registration, and no application of the definition of manufacturing in AB857 (which Michel & Associates has already said it doesn't apply in the way calgunners and DOJ claims it applies in the first place)
Edit: These NFA builds still have to stay clear of CA AW laws (i.e. originate as single shot bolt action)

You can still do 80% sig p320 builds since the FCU is metal. You just need to build it single shot bolt action (SSBA) and register with DOJ. As far as converting it to semi auto, there's a reason why DOJ has only confiscated AR pistols and not actually pursued prosecution for manufacturing. Our legislature still felt it was necessary to craft a new law to end the original single shot exemption rather than letting DOJ reinterpret conversion as manufacturing.

Last edited by Mountain Max; 05-26-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Old 05-27-2019, 7:15 AM

I can't remember, does OAL requirement apply to one of these builds?

I distinctly remember having to buy and cut down a 16" barrel for my 1911 to legally make it... I still have the glued up magazine that only holds one round as well as a filed off mag release to need a tool to eject it.... But i made mine years ago.

I still pull out and use my long barrel for some laughs...

Another thing to consider is a durable serial number; you can't just inscribe it on plastic as per the law from what i can tell, and i don't recall any polymer 80's that have an embedded metal plate worthy of accepting engraving...