Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 03-15-2019, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use a Desantis Nemesis with my Glock 42 and carry it in my front pocket. Looks like a cell phone or wallet, with pleated slacks it doesn't print at all either. When you draw, the holster stays in your pocket while the gun comes out. When I lived in Arizona I found this combo of gun and holster worked the best for me. I'm a short stocky overweight dude.

I know there are smaller guns out there but I found the Glock 42 to be just the right compromise in size, shootability and site picture. It's the only Glock I own as I'm not much a Glock person in general. I'm a believer in carrying .380 vs not carrying at all or carrying something that is difficult to shoot consistently/accurately due to small size, minimal sites or heavy trigger.

My cousin is thin and about 6 ft with a long torso and he carries his XD40 fullsize handgun at 3 o'clock with just a t-shirt IWB with a leather holster and you can't see it. It would print like crazy on me not to mention being uncomfortable.

Only other thing I would mention is get used to carrying. I have seen folks unconsciously patting their weapon to check if they are printing. I actually did that a bit myself when I first carried but then stopped after a few weeks.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoise View Post
I have a couple of Alien Gear ones, but I always end up using my Sticky. Within minutes of putting it on, I forget my G26 is there.
I second your opinion. I laughed at it after Grantar2 (he can be found here on CG) sent one to me. Seemed like a joke so I set it aside and ordered too many "traditional IWB holsters. Man they were uncomfortable. Months later I tried the Sticky brand. Never looked back.

Last edited by squeeze; 03-15-2019 at 10:07 PM..
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Banned

I use a TT leather for my 1911 winter carry and a custom kydex for open carry but I mostly conceal a smaller pistol ( g36 )
Ive given up with holsters, its gotten pretty stupid all the crap that has come out.
Alien holsters are the worst, uncomfortable and to me they are just overly large and stupid looking.
Finally I just went with a clip draw and a kydex trigger guard and carry small of back. Ive been using that method for a few years and love the simplicity.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo1111 View Post

Get a good quality belt. I use the Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced belt. It is high quality and stiff. StealthgearUSA makes a comfortable holster with no break in period. I am planning on buying a Tier1 Axis or Axis Slim in the future. I hear great reviews.

But try this if you carry appendix. Don't put your belt buckle in the middle. Offset it past the first belt loop so that the middle is free and clear. Put your holster at the 12 o'clock position. Adjust your holster's height for the best comfort and grip purchase. It might take 5-7 days before it feels comfortable and you don't even notice any discomfort.

Hope this helps.
+1 for the Ares Gear belt

+1 more for the Tier1Concealed Axis

I carry a compact 1911 AIWB with the above setup. It was a massive improvement over my Stealthgear. Especially with the Ares belt.

I tried carrying at 5 o'clock but I was too worried about printing or my shirt riding up.

I put the holster@ 12 o'clock and the buckle @ 2 o'clock. It's a pain to get in my right pocket...
Old 03-16-2019, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is one I've been carrying. It's a Blackhawk with kind of a tacky surface that is comfortable for the most part. It does wiggle back and forth quite a bit though. I feel like I could do better, but I'm not sure if I could find another like it for an IWB holster.

Old 03-16-2019, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is me last year over snake river canyon. Nothing has changed.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
5.11 Holster shirt in cooler weather...can't seem to find any cheaper than $70 anywhere, though.
the only way i've seen is when 5.11 is having a sale (where i got mine). probably the most comfy way to carry though.

i've also been pretty happy with alien gear cloak tuck(i think i have the 1.0 and 2.0). also have one of their belts, but i don't use it exclusively. i'm also only carrying single stack guns though.

the shapeshift they're selling now seems like it'd just be too much bulk, but i haven't tried it.

also have a desantis softuck, mainly for appendix carry (which isn't so comfy further back) and a versacarry protector s3 (pretty much the only one i could find for one of my carry guns).

have a couple vedders incoming (with the "claw"), so we'll see how those work.
Old 03-16-2019, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you tried a high and tight OWB holster? Something like a Bravo Concealment or a Sparks 55BN if leather is your thing?

I carry appendix with a JM Custom AIWB-WC. It rubs a little sometimes but the neoprene wedge solve the problem.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-16-2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
No sir. I did see I missed a phone call from you that day and have been working all week, so I haven't gotten a chance to call back. Is Milt Sparks here in Garden City then??

I just feel like I'm getting "hot spots" for a lack of better words on my side when I carry for hours on end. I'd like to be able to go fish in jeans and a t-shirt and not set off every fish and game officer that comes across me. OWB is more comfortable, but I'd love to find an IWB that I can wear all day without boring a hole in me.

Dogs we're going to try to keep around another 6 months to a year and we're going to give this thought another go. I'm trying to get my kids ready for the concept in the next 6 months. Then after that they'll better understand.

Uncle mikes iwb soft neoprene is what I have. Itís fairly comfortable, have not noticed any hot spotting yet. It also hasnít been above 80 here yet either. The only thing Iím sure is going to happen is the sweat is going to permiate the holster and will start smelling bad like wet suits do.
Old 03-16-2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
This is one I've been carrying. It's a Blackhawk with kind of a tacky surface that is comfortable for the most part. It does wiggle back and forth quite a bit though. I feel like I could do better, but I'm not sure if I could find another like it for an IWB holster.

My uncle mikes is like that but add a Velcro thumb break. My friend said if you donít need to remove the iwb a lot during the day double hooks are more stationary. Single hooks are for constant removal situations.
Old 03-16-2019, 7:46 PM

I use TT gunleather holsters. I have been carrying for 10 years now. Tim Thurman is a great guy and makes awesome holsters.

I use my holster he made for my Glock 26/27 and 30sf. It works for all 3 guns and is very comfortable. I also have other holsters he made for other guns. I really like being able to carry 3 different guns in one holster.

The leather holster doesn't bleed any stain on to my clothes. It has fit with my body so it feels super comfortable to wear all day. A good leather holster is better than any plastic holster any day.
Old 03-16-2019, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So I have been using a whole slew of different holsters and just can't find one that feels comfortable to wear for any length of time. I've tried Alien Gear, pocket holsters, inside waistband holsters from various companies that are made out of a soft material and supposedly comfortable right out of the box. I've tried different belts from Hanks leather to Mission to rigging belts and others, I just feel like everything ends up giving me a sore thigh or butt cheek. Honestly am I just being a baby and posters just aren't that comfortable because it is what it is, or is there some kind of holster that just works better than another one? I carry a lot it's not like it's my first time carrying, but I found that since I carry more and more frequently I end up with a hotspot on my thigh and hip. Any suggestions or help would be great.

https://stealthgearusa.com/

Their ventcore holsters are incredibly comfortable and I have bought one for every carry gun I have. I do not buy anything else. I also do not have the getting too hot problem, but lots of people do, and claim the ventcore holsters are great for that.

Their holsters are not cheap, $80-$150 depending on what version you want, but I think they are worth every single penny. I wish I hadn't tried to buy cheaper holsters when I get a new gun, because I inevitably get a stealthgear ventcore.

I have been carrying an FNX-45 Tactical IWB (their smaller cut version), since September everyday this year. Even though the gun is huge, I find it very comfortable.

I have used their appendix holsters, but ended up just moving them to 3 or 4 o'clock. The holster itself is comfortable, but I can't get over having a gun point at me every time I sit down or pickup dog poop.

This is their mini IWB

https://stealthgearusa.com/Product/h...olster/1696641

Last edited by wireless; 03-16-2019 at 8:16 PM..
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
My uncle mikes is like that but add a Velcro thumb break. My friend said if you donít need to remove the iwb a lot during the day double hooks are more stationary. Single hooks are for constant removal situations.

I could definitely see this being the case. The single hook rotates probably 25-30 degrees because of the single hook.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Fully Semi-Banned
CGN Contributor

2nd amendment problems First world problems. Carrying is going to be less comfortable than not.

You either get used to it, or buy 76 different holsters and then get used it.

Last edited by JamesH; 03-16-2019 at 11:43 PM..
Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So I have been using a whole slew of different holsters and just can't find one that feels comfortable to wear for any length of time. I've tried Alien Gear, pocket holsters, inside waistband holsters from various companies that are made out of a soft material and supposedly comfortable right out of the box. I've tried different belts from Hanks leather to Mission to rigging belts and others, I just feel like everything ends up giving me a sore thigh or butt cheek. Honestly am I just being a baby and posters just aren't that comfortable because it is what it is, or is there some kind of holster that just works better than another one? I carry a lot it's not like it's my first time carrying, but I found that since I carry more and more frequently I end up with a hotspot on my thigh and hip. Any suggestions or help would be great.
I have one of these. Works great. Once the weather get hot, I will be trying something different.

https://bernedirect.com/collections/...roducts/ccwj09
Old 03-17-2019, 1:00 PM

I love my Nate Squared Tactical. Made in the US, lifetime warranty, and so comfortable that I forget that I'm wearing it.

Here's the one that I typically carry.

All posts were written by a multi-ped robot that stole my phone.

Old 03-17-2019, 1:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg30 View Post
I use TT gunleather holsters. I have been carrying for 10 years now. Tim Thurman is a great guy and makes awesome holsters.

I use my holster he made for my Glock 26/27 and 30sf. It works for all 3 guns and is very comfortable. I also have other holsters he made for other guns. I really like being able to carry 3 different guns in one holster.

The leather holster doesn't bleed any stain on to my clothes. It has fit with my body so it feels super comfortable to wear all day. A good leather holster is better than any plastic holster any day.
Agreed. TT makes amazing holsters.
Old 03-17-2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I actually said this in my original post. I have tried Hank's belts and have two of them, I have a mission belt, I have a wolf rigger's belt, and then I have just a couple everyday ordinary belts. I have used another brand with a metal stiffener on the inside of it that I can't remember the brand right now but I tried one of those and just didn't like it. I think I'm going to try to carry outside waistband again and give up on the inside waistband holsters for a while. I just like carrying outside waistband better anyway and think they're a good route to go. Plus in Idaho it's not uncommon to see a guy walking in with a gun on his belt anyway.

I'm going to give Milt Sparks a chance and go visit his shop this coming up weekend if he is around and I'm going to check out the urban carry and one of the Sneaky Pete Holsters also. I have been buying these all and actually own everything I have stated I've tried. I've tried cross breed, I've tried Alien Gear, I've tried Galco, and in general none of them just feel very comfortable at all it's always an awkward position, it's always a strange sensation. Right now I am carrying a Blackhawk that's basically just like a sticky

Milt Sparks died some time ago, but the small group of gents who carry on in his name make outstanding holsters. Another excellent holster maker is Nightingale Leather. Wait times are longó7 monthsóbut the comfort and quality is exceptional.

Last edited by Great Made America; 03-18-2019 at 4:50 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
For me, the most comfortable holster is OWB. My favorite setup is an M&P Shield riding in a Ritchie CQ-QR holster. I wear a looser button up shirt on top of my t-shirt to conceal my rig.
^^^wise advice^^^
Old 03-18-2019, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What kind of gun? Thinking of the body as a clock what position are you carrying say 3 O'clock, 4, etc. Carrying anything else on your belt? Do you have a physical condition, IBS, gird, excessive weight, prior back injury? Does you job require you to sit a lot, or be on your feet a lot. Do you have more than one gun you could carry, and if so what?

Specifically how is each holster you have tried not performing, and have you tried using the adjustments built into the holster? Does the holster have to be tuckable or do you wear a loose shirt?

Does your weapon of choice have either a weapons mounted light or optic, or both?

If you could answer these questions I might be able to offer some informed suggestions.
Old 03-18-2019, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
What kind of gun? Thinking of the body as a clock what position are you carrying say 3 O'clock, 4, etc. Carrying anything else on your belt? Do you have a physical condition, IBS, gird, excessive weight, prior back injury? Does you job require you to sit a lot, or be on your feet a lot. Do you have more than one gun you could carry, and if so what?

Specifically how is each holster you have tried not performing, and have you tried using the adjustments built into the holster? Does the holster have to be tuckable or do you wear a loose shirt?

Does your weapon of choice have either a weapons mounted light or optic, or both?

If you could answer these questions I might be able to offer some informed suggestions.

No weapons lights, I cannot carry at work, but I primarily always stand at work for what it's worth. I generally carry at 4:30 or so and right handed, sometimes at 6:00 and generally IWB. I wear both tucked shirts and untucked, but 90% of the time I am untucked. It can get really hot here in the summertime, but I would say it is fairly cool quite a few more months in the year so concealment isn't much of an issue. As a plus, being in Idaho comes with most of the folks here are used to seeing guns around so printing isn't much of an issue either. As far as WHAT weapons, I carry a Taurus PT709 Slim, a Canik TP9SA, Kel Tec PMR30, 1911, and a Smith J-Frame. I do carry other frames, but they are more sporadic.