Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2019, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
I just got a call as well, instead of November its now July!
I'm actually starting to believe in the hope.
I missed the call yesterday because I have been getting a lot of robo calls lately. They left a voice mail, I am going to try to call them this morning. We will see if I can still get my Oct appointment moved up, fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm sure they will, the lady I spoke with sounded excited for me anyway.
Old 05-05-2019, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cloud9 View Post
I missed the call yesterday because I have been getting a lot of robo calls lately. They left a voice mail, I am going to try to call them this morning. We will see if I can still get my Oct appointment moved up, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
I'm sure they will, the lady I spoke with sounded excited for me anyway.

Good luck to both of you.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Same here! Gladly accepted, however my new appt is mid July and we will be out of town on Aug 5. I would need to complete the range test within 30 days, correct? Any idea if I should call them back to try to reschedule? I don't want to cut it too close.... Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post
Finally got my date moved up to July, initial interview was set up for Oct.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Sdquattro; 05-06-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 1:01 PM

After receiving your CCW, for anyone looking for CCW-specific skills training (not to be confused with the required licensing training), I highly recommend ITTS and their Concealed Carry Tactics course: https://internationaltactical.com/concealedcarry.html

It's an intermediate/advanced level course, you definitely need to have previously attended formal multi-day training before taking it. But it focuses on dynamic scenarios from concealment at both short range and distance, as well as lowlight scenarios. It’s a very good course to improve your skills (and learn what changes you might want to make to your kit) as a lot of us are CCW’ing regularly for the first time. And for those of you who are familiar with ITTS, you know it's one of the most respected firearms schools around.

It’s up at the Angeles range, about 2-3hrs away from SD depending on traffic. They just had one this past weekend (which I attended) but there’s another one in October that I highly recommend.
Old 05-06-2019, 1:08 PM

So for those of you who are successfully getting issuance, will you be sharing your GC statements with the rest of us so we know how to approach the situation?
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-06-2019, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
So for those of you who are successfully getting issuance, will you be sharing your GC statements with the rest of us so we know how to approach the situation?
San Diego Co Gun Owners has listed plenty (and instructional video) at:
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 05-06-2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
San Diego Co Gun Owners has listed plenty (and instructional video) at:
Thank you!
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-07-2019, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome.

IIRC, if you join SDCGO, they'll review your GC statement too.

Either way you should join them to fight against county or city level gun control bills and ordinances, at least for a few years until, we hope, SCOTUS finally delivers us some broad rulings to shut down the antis for a few decades.

Old 05-11-2019, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cloud9 View Post

A little update on my phone call. I called and left a message the next day which was Sunday. I didn't receive a call back on Monday. I called again with no answer and left a message on Tuesday. I received a call back this morning around 8 and I was able to schedule for and earlier appointment in July.

Just wanted to let others know if you miss their call and when you call back you get their voice mail, most likely you will receive a call back on the following Saturday. It seems to be the day the phone calls are made.

Old 05-11-2019, 8:28 PM

I just got my permit on Friday. About 40 days from the second interview. I joined SDCGO right after one of their CCW seminars and encourage anyone who has benefited from their hard work to do the same.

I'm just a regular guy, no connections at all to Sheriff Gore or any politicians. I did not use my job as good cause.
Old 05-11-2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judokadonk View Post
I just got my permit on Friday. About 40 days from the second interview. I joined SDCGO right after one of their CCW seminars and encourage anyone who has benefited from their hard work to do the same.

I'm just a regular guy, no connections at all to Sheriff Gore or any politicians. I did not use my job as good cause.
What did you use as GC?
Old 05-11-2019, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
What did you use as GC?
Go read post #284 if you haven't seen it already. I got my permit for non work related GC too.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-12-2019, 4:01 AM

I did see that, thanks. I haven't been doing that, but I certainly can if it helps.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
What did you use as GC?

I modeled mine after the competitive shooting examples. I have records of all the shooting classes I have taken. I also log my practice sessions and brought those logs in as supporting documents.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judokadonk View Post

I modeled mine after the competitive shooting examples. I have records of all the shooting classes I have taken. I also log my practice sessions and brought those logs in as supporting documents.
Cool, thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Sheriff Gore does it again! Another 120 CCWs issued in the past month. Another record total: 2570 active CCWs! That's like a 6 to 7x increase in 2 years! Sure, it's not where we want it, but it sure looks like the numbers continue to head to where we want them. Plus, in the Co. CCW Info forum, someone posted that Gore is getting prepped to switch over to an online app process. That should speed things up even further and smooth out the process for both the SO and the applicants (esp since renewals will be coming up soon).

"Go, Team Gore!"

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Last edited by Paladin; 05-23-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-23-2019, 1:28 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Sheriff Gore does it again! Another 120 CCWs issued in the past month. Another record total: 2570 active CCWs! That's like a 6 to 7x increase in 2 years!
Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's doubled in a couple years, not gone up 6-7x.

According to this post of yours:

Quote:

From p. 7 of the .pdf of the audit's report (emphasis added): To provide additional context, at each department we identified the number of active licenses. As of June 30, 2017 ... San Diego had 1,281 active licenses
We're almost two years from June 2017. If there was 1281, a 6x increase would be over 7600 permits at this point.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 05-23-2019, 1:39 PM

Just got a message from my buddy who Ive been helping through the process and he was approved and said they were very helpful at the sheriff office..... another win.... thanks San Diego COunty Gun Owners !!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBlaster View Post
Just got a message from my buddy who Ive been helping through the process and he was approved and said they were very helpful at the sheriff office..... another win.... thanks San Diego COunty Gun Owners !!!!
Awesome! I bet he was extremely happy. Now does he owe you steak?
"Criminals are a small minority in any age or country. And the harm they have done to mankind is infinitesimal when compared to the horrors—the bloodshed, the wars, the persecutions, the confiscations, the famines, the enslavements, the wholesale destructions—perpetrated by mankind's governments."
Ayn Rand, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (1967)
Old 05-23-2019, 3:24 PM

Last I checked San Diego county had a population of over 3 million and they now have about 2570 total Permit holders. Ya we are winning !
Old 05-23-2019, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
Last I checked San Diego county had a population of over 3 million and they now have about 2570 total Permit holders. Ya we are winning !
Do you have your permit? Have you applied?

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-23-2019, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well 25% are under 21, who knows how many are illegals, a certain percentage will have a criminal or other background that they would get denied, and of course wonderful anti-2nd amendment democrat types in large numbers that wouldn't dream of such a thing. Lots of college students that are only here for an education and move away. So progress is progress, for those motivated it can be done.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 05-23-2019 at 7:20 PM..
Old 05-23-2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Well 25% are under 21, who knows how many are illegals, a certain percentage will have a criminal or other background that they would get denied, and of course wonderful anti-2nd amendment democrat types in large numbers that wouldn't dream of such a thing. Lots of college students that are only here for an education and move away. So progress is progress, for those motivated it can be done.
Not saying its not a small step for the good but if this was a poll the number would be statistically insignificant. Even if 75% of the population was disqualified for one reason or another it would not even amount to 1% of the total population.
Old 05-23-2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Do you have your permit? Have you applied?
Yes, The county I live in is nearly shall issue like most rural communities.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's doubled in a couple years, not gone up 6-7x.

According to this post of yours:

We're almost two years from June 2017. If there was 1281, a 6x increase would be over 7600 permits at this point.
I think the 1281 was all CCWs: 2-year standard, 3-year judicial and 4-year reserve. IIRC, there were only 300 to 400 standard CCWs when Gore started liberalizing issuance. I think I posted that early in this thread.

But I could be wrong ....

ETA: Here's what I was going off of:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
Last September there were around 1,100 CCWs issued in San Diego (not including judges and law enforcement). As of tonight there are 1682 (according to the counter added to the sheriff’s CCW webpage). Over 500 additional permits issued in just under a year. About a dozen have been turned down to background check issues (like finding a domestic violence conviction or recent DUI) and around 6 have been turned down due to their good cause statement. Mostly it was because they did not follow our instructions or refused to produce proof. I think they should have been granted a CCW, but I also think they would have been issued a permit had they followed our instructions.
Acc to this Press Telegram article, when the state audit took place (June 2017, IIRC), SDSO had issued only 464 of the 2-year CCWs over the previous 3 years, far fewer than 1,100.
Quote:
San Diego County also maintains a restrictive view of “good cause,” issuing 464 CCW permits in the last three years.
https://www.presstelegram.com/2017/1...rules-equally/
The SO issued 464 2-year permits over 3 years. Assuming roughly even distribution over the 3 years, that means that 1/3rd of those 2-year CCWs were probably renewals. So how many individuals at any one time over those 3 years had active 2-year CCWs? 464 divided by 3 = 155 renewals each year. Subtract 155 renewals from 464 cumulative 3 year total and you get 309 at any one time. Since there are assumptions being made, you end up with my 300 to 400 estimate that when multiplied by 6 or 7 gets you to the current 2,570 total of 2 year CCWs. (Some people may not have renewed, but let lapse, so some of the 155 may be newbies.)

Last edited by Paladin; 05-24-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I love it how trolls who don't even live in San Diego Co come in here to thread crap on the successes San Diego Co CGNers are now experiencing. That a CGNer would spend their time and effort to do that speaks volumes about THEM, and none of it good.

I'll just quote a previous post of mine, not for this troll, but for CGNers who may have gotten discouraged by his pi--ing on them and their success:

Quote:
Yeah, so? When Gore changed his policy there were only something like 300 to 400 CCWs. He's now on track to break 3,000 by the end of the year.

Hutchens, in OC, reduced CCWs down to something like 300 to 400 when she had to clear out corruption. Then she accepted SD = GC after our 3-judge panel win in Peruta in 2014. After we lost en banc in 2016, she stopped accepting SD = GC and required minimal GC and "proof" of that minimal. Under that standard, before she left office in Jan, she had >20,000 active CCWs!

Since Sheriff Gore's CCW Unit has been in contact with OC's to get advice on streamlining and speeding up their process, I fully expect SD Co's numbers to follow OC's trajectory. IOW, in 3 to 5 years, I expect SD to break 10,000 CCWs and in a few years after that, 20,000. Hopefully, before that happens, we'll win a Carry Case at SCOTUS and we'll have a "right to carry", once again, under the 2nd A (without fear of being arrested).
And, like I posted earlier, things should be speeding up even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
30-45 days from second interview is sped up from waiting the usual close to 90 days. I just received my license two weeks ago and I waited close to 60 days, all depends on what they want to investigate in your background and processing times/current workload. If you haven’t all ready, join the San Diego County Gun Owners, they recently posted on FB the Sheriff is adopting a electronic program to drastically trim down application process.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hmm, 2117 seems like a pathetic number based on the total population of San Diego County, CA. That has to be a fraction of 1% . Sounds more like chrony's and a privileged few to me.

Just sayin.
Look at what I found from last January! This troll was threadcrapping you guys back then too. And he's not even in SD Co, he's going out of his way to crap on your efforts and successes. You have a 22% increase in 4 months and he's still crapping on you. He's only made 130 posts since joining in 2017 Nov and he spends time going to a SD Co thread to ridicule fellow CGNers who are now getting issued CCWs.... FWIW, he's now been added onto my Ignore List. Life is too short to have such people in my life, esp when I'm not getting paid to deal with them. I advise you all to do the same.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-24-2019 at 12:29 AM..
Old 05-24-2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Look at what I found from last January! This troll was threadcrapping you guys back then too. And he's not even in SD Co, he's going out of his way to crap on your efforts and successes. You have a 22% increase in 4 months and he's still crapping on you. He's only made 130 posts since joining in 2017 Nov and he spends time going to a SD Co thread to ridicule fellow CGNers who are now getting issued CCWs.... FWIW, he's now been added onto my Ignore List. Life is too short to have such people in my life, esp when I'm not getting paid to deal with them. I advise you all to do the same.
First as a fellow CGNer , I am not trolling or thread crapping as you wish to label me. I am just being realistic in my opinion of where we really are in this fight. In my opinion it is sad that in a county of more than 3 million that the numbers are so low. I applaud the efforts to improve on this but lets be frank this is just a drop in the bucket compared to nearby Riverside and San Bernardino counties. I am in no way saying you should give up and quit trying its better than the Bay area or LA county for sure.
By the way I am a Southern County transplant and when I lived there it was nearly impossible to get a CCW so thngs have improved just not to the extent I would hope for.

Also since when are we not supposed to post an opinion in a thread/county other than where we live. Somebody needs to take a chill pill its just an opinion not a personal attack on anyone accept maybe the county politicians.

Last edited by wannabefree; 05-24-2019 at 8:47 AM.. Reason: add statement
Old 05-24-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I've noticed some need a little goosing to apply from the right people, the recent local synagogue attack has motivated some. And I think, like the rest of the country, that there are going to be successful defense stories as more citizens become armed, it's simply inevitable as more CCWs are issued. Those stories get suppressed nationally as always, but locally they have to report them. The county has been asleep for decades on getting CCWs. but it's happening and perhaps many are slow to wake up but it's happening.
If you recently got your CCW, I know you may not want to go running around telling everyone, duh! BUT sometimes when the right opportunity comes up and a conversation gets around to being the appropriate time with someone, encourage them,be an example, explain the process and point them the way.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBlaster View Post
Nice!!! Congrats to him. Do you happen to know what he used for his good cause statement?
Old 05-25-2019, 5:03 AM

Default Sheriff Gore Aims to Issue More Concealed Gun Permits in San Diego County

Trolls gonna troll. Bottom line any one in San Diego county who wants a permit can get one. I used my work for my GC. My work did not require CCW. When the sheriff office called to verify my employment they simply asked my boss if I work there and that I had applied for a “license”. They did not verify my with employer what their policy was on CCW while at work. Thats all, call took 5 seconds.

Over the last year the Sheriff’s office rarely turns down applicants for well written GC statements. It’s when applicants knowingly or un knowingly omit details on background or criminal history that applicant will run into trouble.

My permit has NO restrictions. I carry 24/7.

Current policy of SD Sherrifs office to issue permits with no restrictions I verified this at my second interview.

Also the Sheriff posted on SD Sherrifs website standard capacity magazines over ten rounds are acceptable to use with your carry weapon. This was posted in the commonly asked questions section. To me no restriction on mags speaks volumes of the Department. Thank SDCGO for having the Department verify this.

I set first appointment Sept 2018, had second interview March 2019, received permit in May 2019.

I qualified with Bill Desy at CCW USA and also took the Arizona permit qualifier. $300 total for 8hr class. I recommend Bill. He holds classes at the Glockstore almost every week or every two weeks for CCW.

After mailing cert and $60 for processing I received my Arizona permit in less than two weeks. Boom I can carry in all the blue states.

Sure it took a while for San Diego permit.

We have waited this long what is the hurry?

There is no doubt. It’s happening. It’s real.

If you have not joined the San Diego County Gun Owners do it. They will even assist you with your GC statement.

Thank You Sheriff Gore and Thank You San Diego County Gun Owners !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hogfarmer; 05-25-2019 at 5:57 AM..
Old 05-25-2019, 6:26 AM
The Super
CGN Contributor

I just got my approval letter on Wednesday. Once I knock out the class, I will become one of the few!

It did take a while, but overall it is an easy process.

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 05-25-2019, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
I just got my approval letter on Wednesday. Once I knock out the class, I will become one of the few!

It did take a while, but overall it is an easy process.

Congrats and welcome to the club! Carry safely and carry everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 1:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Easy process, have CCW experience on other states and countries and this process was as professional and expedient as any other one I have gone thru. Got my approval letter last Thursday, will be taking qualifications with Bill Desy at CCW USA including the Arizona permit qualifier. THANK YOU SDCGO, i believe they're persistent work change the tide on CCW. Never thought in a million years will get a CAL CCW.
Old 05-25-2019, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am not trolling or thread crapping as you wish to label me.
Yes you are.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-26-2019, 5:00 PM

I applied over the phone in October of 2018 and my first interview was scheduled for June 2019. I recieved a called from Sheriff Office in January of 2019 and they wanted to move my appointment up two months to April 4th, 2019. I recieved a phone call from the Sheriff's office two days prior to my April 4th appointment and they did my first interview over the phone. Then on April 4th, I went to their office to drop off my application and all documents. They will ask for two proofs of residency, such as utility bills or cell phone bills or even a monthly bank statement. They accepted my monthly bank statement.
While there at their office, I was not given a second interview, they just wanted me to turn in all my paperwork and supporting documents. I paid the fee, was live-scanned and finger printed, took a photo and they said "see you in 60-90 days" and out the door I went. I got a call May 2nd from an investigating deputy to send him an updated proof of residency and I emailed it to him, he responded by saying if I didnt hear from him, all was good. I got my approval letter last week May 21st. Did my 8-hour course, will pick up my permit May 29th as you have to make an appointment to get it.

So all in all, I thought it was a pretty quick process. My brother is now applying for his and he called on Friday May 24th, he was told that nearest date for appointment is June 2020.
Hope this helps for those that wanna apply, dont be discouraged. I say that cause time will fly by, trust me.

Last edited by giaking70; 05-26-2019 at 5:02 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelled word
Old 05-27-2019, 6:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
I applied over the phone in October of 2018 and my first interview was scheduled for June 2019. I recieved a called from Sheriff Office in January of 2019 and they wanted to move my appointment up two months to April 4th, 2019. I recieved a phone call from the Sheriff's office two days prior to my April 4th appointment and they did my first interview over the phone. Then on April 4th, I went to their office to drop off my application and all documents. They will ask for two proofs of residency, such as utility bills or cell phone bills or even a monthly bank statement. They accepted my monthly bank statement.
While there at their office, I was not given a second interview, they just wanted me to turn in all my paperwork and supporting documents. I paid the fee, was live-scanned and finger printed, took a photo and they said "see you in 60-90 days" and out the door I went. I got a call May 2nd from an investigating deputy to send him an updated proof of residency and I emailed it to him, he responded by saying if I didnt hear from him, all was good. I got my approval letter last week May 21st. Did my 8-hour course, will pick up my permit May 29th as you have to make an appointment to get it.

So all in all, I thought it was a pretty quick process. My brother is now applying for his and he called on Friday May 24th, he was told that nearest date for appointment is June 2020.
Hope this helps for those that wanna apply, dont be discouraged. I say that cause time will fly by, trust me.

Another winning story, congrats on approval and getting through the process.

Carry on!
Old 05-27-2019, 6:20 AM
Banned

Bill Gore the hero. Some Calgunners would sell their very souls to the Devil for the ability to legally carry a pistol.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:42 AM

I got bumped up again. I called originally in February of this year and was told a November first appointment date. A few weeks ago they called to move it up to July 8. Just recently I got a call moving the date up to late June. The clerk confirmed that they will be calling me two days before my appointment to go over paperwork needed and good cause. I was told to be prepared to be fingerprinted (live scan) and photographed and to turn in documents discussed over the phone. So it seems the process has been greatly streamlined. I would highly suggest anyone interested to make the phone call now to the licensing division to get their appointment as they will continue to bump people up on a first available basis.