Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 9:25 PM

Default Interfamily handgun transfer to 18 year old?

I tried the search but only came up with some older posts.

I know it was legal to transfer a handgun to a child if they were over 18. Wife did it several years ago to our son. Now our daughter is turning 18. Is it still legal to interfamily transfer a handgun to an 18 year old child or are those days gone?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 10:16 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontmark View Post
I tried the search but only came up with some older posts.

I know it was legal to transfer a handgun to a child if they were over 18. Wife did it several years ago to our son. Now our daughter is turning 18. Is it still legal to interfamily transfer a handgun to an 18 year old child or are those days gone?

Thanks
It is still CA legal to do so, as long as your daughter has a valid FSC and she reports the transfer to CA DOJ within 30 days of receiving the firearm. [PC 27875(a)]

Penal Code 27875
(a) Section 27545 does not apply to the transfer of a firearm by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means from one individual to another, if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(2) The transfer is between members of the same immediate family.
(3) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, the person to whom it is transferred shall submit a report to the Department of Justice, in a manner prescribed by the department, that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The reports that individuals complete pursuant to this subdivision shall be made available to them in a format prescribed by the department.
(4) Until January 1, 2015, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a valid handgun safety certificate if the firearm is a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2015, a valid firearm safety certificate for any firearm, except that in the case of a handgun, a valid unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
(5) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-20-2019, 3:33 PM

Thanks Quiet

Thank you very much for all the time and help you and several others put into answering legal questions for us. I try to search when I can. But as usual I am not a great PC user to find the answerers. I try.

Thanks again to all that put so much time in here to help us.